Analog cable reception question

Username: Sonywill

Post Number: 2
Hey, all. This past weekend, my wife and I picked up our brand new Sony KDF-E50A10 50-inch Sony rear-projection HDTV. We set everything up with our RCN (cable company) DVR box, and while the high-def channels come in beautiful, the analog stations are showing one of the worst pictures I've ever seen on a TV.

Is there a workaround for this so that we can experience our analog channels better? I mean, I'm not asking for them to be in high-def, but a little bit closer to what they looked like on our old 27-inch JVC tube TV would be nice.

Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Will

Username: Tech7470

Staten island, Ny

Post Number: 5
the problem is that your tv is so good that it brings out the picture noise on the analog channels. you could try to lower the sharpness but your digital channels might become blurry. and it also depends on how its hooked up. Are you wathching every thing on componet, dvi, or hdmi?. Try hooking up to s-video or yellow video. But dont hook up both at the same time because depending on the box that rcn is using the rca jack might overide the s-video.

Bronze Member
Username: Cabletech

Post Number: 18
Your analogs look the way they do for several reasons, 1 you are going from a normal picture tube to projecting a signal in 16:9 format, which means you are stretching 4:8 format. I would not change any hooh ups. the other reason is you are used to looking at pixels which is what makes up picture tube tv, and the larger you make the picture the more "noise" you will see. Hopfully your cable co will go all digital in the near future. I always tell my customers that they will watch more HD than normal even if its a type of show you dont normally watch.

Say What?
Unregistered guest
I have also had problems with analogs being noisy through the component outputs with an SA DVR. I split the input to the DVR, and use the antenna input when I want my analogs to look better. I can easily change inputs on my remote.

There are other options, S-video, DVI/HDMI if these outputs are available, and active on the DVR. Depending on manufacturer, and model, not all outputs are active. SA8000 DVR here S-video does not work. Check with RCN before you spend money on cables. Splitting the input was the cheapest and easiest way to acheive a decent analog picture.

While I tend to watch mostly HD programming, until such time as Speed, and a few others go digital, I have to watch analog from time to time. To wait for all digital is just silly, it may be years.

Anonymous

I bought a digital PVR try to record the channel that I have in my area. I couldn't get any channel work. I check with the local cable TV provider, they advice that all the channel still on analog. That's why my digital PVR not be able to scan the channel.
Any converter on the market that can convert the analog signal to digital so that my digital PVR can work ?

Username: Marchskiing

Post Number: 1
i just bought a 42" Plasma Akai=requires a set-top box for hdtv. i have cable reception... can't seem to find the cable in connector on the back of the tv... am i missing something? currently do not have a cable box... ??

Silver Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 784
could you provide the model number? It would help if we can see what you have then better assist you.

Username: Cande

Post Number: 1
I just 32" soyo tv i have comcast hooked up threw analog but tried dvi looks great but have a vertical line left side. what should i do

Username: 1movibuff

Post Number: 9
canelario- first, what is the model of your tv and second, which dvi cable do you have connected? In case you already know what I am talking about, I apologize.

there are three types of DVI connections:

1. DVI-D Digital
2. DVI-A Analog
3. DVI-I Integrated Digital/Analog

With analog you must use either a DVI-A or DVI-I cable. You also need to verify that you are using the correct plug that matches the DVI cable. It is important to not mismatch a digital plug with an analog cable.(or vice versa)

I asked about the model of your tv because it is important to know how you have everything hooked up in the back. The way it is connected may be causing the vertical line. I'm not a technician, so I could be wrong.

Post Number: 10
I am going to clarify the DVI connections:

DVI-D (Digital, for use with digital displays): These cables link DVI-graphics cards to digital displays. They transfer digital-to-digital signals, eliminate analog conversion and cannot accommodate CRT displays.

DVI-A (Analog, for use with analog displays): These DVI cables run from the DVI graphics card to an analog CRT display, converting digital-to-analog. Although some purity is lost in the conversion from digital to analog, using a DVI card and DVI-A cable with a CRT monitor delivers superior performance to using a VGA interface.

DVI-I (Integrated, for use with either display): These cables work as digital-to-digital or analog-to-analog, hence their designation as "integrated." They do not convert digital-to-analog or analog-to-digital. These DVI cables can be used to connect a DVI graphics card to a digital display, or a DVI card's VGA interface to an analog display.

I hope this makes more sense as to what the 3 different types of connections are for.

I wonder if HDMI would work better for you since HDMI supports standard, enhanced and high-definition video.

Username: Cande

Post Number: 2
SO WOULD DVI A WORK? I HAVE DVI D. MY TV IS CALLED A SOYO IN THE BACK OF THE TV THERE IS VGA AND DVI ON THE SETOP BOX IT SAYS USE DVI D. PLS HELP.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
I located the Soyo website and saw about 4 different models, I read through 1 of the manuals to get an idea of what your tv is like. Take out the manual and read through it. I'm also not clear, do you have a cable box? First I would suggest that you unhook the DVI and see if the vertical line goes away. If it does, then it could be the DVI is connected wrong. I've found the best way to find what is causing the problem is, is by process of elimination. In the manual look at the diagram of the back of the tv and then get behind your tv and make sure everything is connected properly and that you don't have anything connected that shouldn't be. Also make sure the settings on your tv are correct. If you do not have a cable box, it is possible that your tv will not support a DVI. If you still have that vertical line after you try everything, I suggest you call Comcast, get their service protection plan and set up a service call which should not cost you anything. If it is something as simple as a connection issue or a setting in the tv the tech will be able to fix it. Just keep in mind they are not tv repairmen. I wish you good luck
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us