Gateway DLP fan (?) noise help!!!

Username: Tjvisions

Germantown, MD USA

Post Number: 1
I have had this DLP for over a year and a half. A few months ago, after the warranty period expired,I started hearing a loud humm which remains on until the unit powers off. I assume it is the fan because it doesnt start immediately after the picture comes on. the noise starts a few minutes after the TV is on.

I have been reading many of the threads on the RCA and fan noise and am unsure if this is the color wheel or the actual fan itself. I have called Gateway and they use a third party service company which will charge $200 trip charge, $50 diagnostic fee, and $250 an hour! I would be invested for $500 before parts.....crazy! Can anyone help and give advice as to how to properly diagnose and fix if possible? Thanks in advance..

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 565
Take the back off. Look for a safety switch along the edge that the set back closes and tape it shut so the set will run without the back on it. Locate the fans. Should be one near the lamp and another near the DMD board. If you can't really tell which one is whining then get a small section of 3/8" hose. With one end to your ear go fishing for the sound with the other. Clean things up while you're in there. The brushy attachment to your vac hose works well. Fans are cheap and easy to replace. The color wheel will stop spinning right at power off while the fans keep running. If the sound quits right at power off it's the color wheel. It's easy to replace too. It sits in front of the lamp and slides up after removing some screws. Sounds like that service shop is a rip off. Standard repair rates are $60 - $75 per hour.

Username: Tjvisions

Germantown, MD USA

Post Number: 2
Thanks, I will try that tomorrow! As far as the sound goes, it "winds down" as soon as the screen goes off. This king of makes me think it is the color wheel however that doesnt make much sense. I would think that i should hear the noise from the moment the screen comes on if that was the case. I will try to be a technician tomorrow.....wish me luck!

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 566
It's the color wheel, no doubt!
It might take a few minutes upon start-up for the bearings to whine. If the whining stops on power down it's the wheel for sure. You can still here the fans going with no whine for a minute after the picture cuts off.

Check your manual for a parts 800 number.

This guy might sell a used one at a discount.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DLP-LIGHT-ENGINE-DLP-56-TV-PART_W0QQitemZ5858009940QQcategor yZ61407QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us