Moving mitsubishi HD1080

mp51998
Unregistered guest
New guy here looking to move a 55" widescreen up some stairs in my new condo. Due to size constraints I was wondering if it would damage my unit to turn it on its side while moving it up the stairs. Its a Mitsu HD1080 rear projection. Thanks for you input.

Silver Member
Username: Wearenotalone69

Post Number: 422
If should not hurt it if you don't "shock" it... Pick it and walk it... If you're using a hand truck be CAREFUL each time you go up or down one of the steps (so you don't shock /bounce it".)

PS: It would be best to lean it towards the BACK (The side that the mirror is mounted on) In case the mirror is NOT mounted good.

If you leaned it the other way the mirror could come loose maybe hitting the screen , and possiblly damaging the lense assembly as well.

mp51998
Unregistered guest
Thanks for your reply. I was unsure of the inner workings of the the TV. I will do my best not to trash it. After reading the other post about the Mistu TV and Pauls suggestion I dont want to have to buy another

Silver Member

Post Number: 423
mp51998

On A RP TV there is a light source (The light engine OR CRTS) that projects the image of what is being displayed onto a mirror that is mounted on the rear of the cabinet.... The image is then reflected onto the screen (The front part of the tv) and you see the image.

Here's the light path: Light engine (final lense assm/ Or crts) + Mirror + Screen on which image is displayed.

That is how most sets are...(But cam't really confirm without a model number to confirm it is indeed a RP type set.)

mp51998
Unregistered guest
Just to confirm its a WS-55807. And when I said that I want to turn it on its side I meant left or right to swing in the door and down the hall. After moving some stuff today I believe I will be able to get it up the stairs in an upright position but going into the unit I will have to turn it on its side and swing to the right. So I will be careful with it and hopefully have no issues. It is about 4 maybe 5 yrs old but the wife would have a fit if I wanted to buy a new one. Plus I'll be heading to california for about 8 wks. so she would be stuck with a cheap 19" set. I appreciate you help.

Silver Member

Post Number: 427
WS-55807 - Year 2000, 2001

mp51998,

Thanks for saying "thanks"... Not many people do that anymore in todays age of the me-me-me mentally...

Here's a picture of the insides of a JVC D-ILA to give you an idea what the inside of a RP set looks like. Upload

Here's a site which may have some useful info. If I was you I'd archive as much info as possible on this set due to the age, alot of sites that have useful info seem to "delete" info on older sets... (If it's a personal webpage they disappear altogether.)

http://www.graskinhometheatre.bigstep.com/generic.html?pid=7

PS: Since your set is CRT based, it's going to be HEAVY... so take your time... Have some good padding handy just in case, and some strong friends :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 428
Some more thoughts...

Keep in mind that when you turn it on it's side /move it it would be BEST if you remove the screen and clean the optics...

If it was me I'd think about removing the screen to move it since you really need to vacum out the insides, preferally before and then after moving, then cleaning the optics before you put it back together.

Removing the screen will make it lighter, plus give those helping you moving (or yourself) a better hand-hold... and of course reduce the chance of the screen getting damaged. Good idea to pop off the speaker grills also...

BTW: Don't use regular glass cleaner on the mirror. More than likely it's a first surface mirror, the coating on the FRONT, instead of the BACK as a regular mirror... Because the coating is on the FRONT side you don't want to use glass cleaner. You also don't want to leave fingerprints it, because the oils and acids will eat thru it :-(

mp51998
Unregistered guest
Do you have quick instuctions or a link on how to remove the screen. I have never done that nor have I cleaned the inside of the set. I'm positive it could use it. Today is the big move so anything to make it easier would be helpful. Thanks.

mp51998
Unregistered guest
Okay I went ahead and read a little more on those links you sent me and got the screen off with no issues. Thanks again for those. I will be moving it shortly and cleaning it again before reassemble. This will definately make it easier to move. I let you know if I have any problems.

mp51998
Unregistered guest
The deed is done. Just wanted to thank you again. Everything went smoothly. I have to put it back together again after cleaning but that shouldn't be an issue. You were a big help in answering my questions.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us