Is it safe to use a 3 prong into 2 prong adapter on ne Samsung DLP TV

Username: Crandog

Akron, OH

Post Number: 1
I was having a Humming noise in my Home Theatre system after hooking up my new 42" Samsung DLP HDTV. I eliminated the Humm by taking the TV's 3 prong grounded plug and putting a 3 into 2 prong adapter on it. Since it now has the same standard, polarized, 2 prong plug as the rest of my equipment, I eliminated the ground differential and the Humm is gone(YEAH!). Is this safe for the TV or can it cause problems, electrically with TV or anything else.

Moleculo
Unregistered guest
Could be opening yourself up to surge problems, best thing to do would be to gt a decent power conditioner and plug the whole shebang into it. Should preclude the hum AND give you surge protection.

Silver Member
Username: Wearenotalone69

Post Number: 397
Bill,

Just and idea, but if the humming noise started after hooking up that new 42" Samsung DLP HDTV you may want to contact Samsung????... (at least to report the problem?)

Another thing you should do is to buy ($5) a A/C electrical circuit tester. You may find you HOUSE wiring is screwed up.

An electrical circuit tester (with three lights that tell you how the outlet is wired) is available in any home center or hardware store for a few Dollars.

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/acpolarity.html

Username: Nickpadovani

Newnan, GA USA

Post Number: 3
My advice would be to buy a power conditioner or at least a ground loop isolator. I agree with the previous post, I believe the problem is in the wiring in your house, not so much your equipment. Regaurdless of the problem, you do not want to bypass the grounding prong on any equipment that comes with the third prong. You are opening yourself up to surge problems that could lead to equipment damage and fire.

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 986
Have you tried using seperate surge protectors? One for your HT gear, and one for the TV. When trouble shooting you should try the easiest adn cheapest options first.

Tom B ong
Unregistered guest
Sounds like you have different ground relationships which will cause a big problem should you get a close lightning strike. Before you go spending monsy on ower conditioners (which have no effect on the switching power supplies found in TVs) make sure your cable ground is at the same potential as your home.

Many people put surge protectors on their TVs and then get the surge through the cable line because the cable installers do not ground the cable to the same ground spike as the house.

Most surges are harmless. Power supplies are made to regulate fluctuating AC and only in extreme conditions will you ever get a surge that will blow your power supplie's fuse or worse. In fact there are a whole host of AC appliances in your home that would be affected first that do not have such robust power supplies like ceiling fans, clocks, etc. I will bet most people do not have surge protectors on their refrigerators, washers, dryers, dishwashers,ranges, all of which are just as suceptable to a surge. Yet those who sell surge protector feel one should protect a TV as if the TV will be the first to go. Not so.

In fact a surge protector will not protect againt a direct lightning strike. How many people do you know in all the years you have lived who have lost ANY home electronics due to "surges"? I will bet not many. They are rare and most power supplies aredesigned and built to handle fluctuating household AC current which is not "dirty" Its just what it is.

Tom B ong
Unregistered guest
Be sure to send the repair bill to Tom Bong when your TV stops working. He's learned to sprinkle enough truth and a more reasonable tone into his BS posts to sound more convincing of late but he's still a self styled expert with no real knowledge to back it up. Everyone knows that nothing will protect against a direct lighting strike, that's not what you are protecting against. Most surge supressor/power filters also have coax in and outs for cable and satellite. The guy is full of BS and his more sugarcoated version does not change the fact that he is the same person who was banned from these boards. He has to post unregistered now, how much credibility does that lend him?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us