To Tom Bong.....asking for info....

Username: Johnhunter44

Post Number: 5
I have been reading many posts as I am considering a new TV purchase. I am looking for a TV with a minimum of 42" in size. 50" maximum. I have read many posts with negative things about DLP. Is there any type TV out there this size that is reliable? Plasma? LCD? HD iLA? (I have also read many negative posts on the JVC HDiLA). I can't use the older type of rear projection TV's that use the 3 crt tubes because of size limitations. Thanks for any input...

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 964
Tom Bong was banned a while back, but he still might be around here under a different name.

I personally have a JVC Dila set and I love it. It has been trouble free for over a year now, but it did have issues in the beginning.

From my own personal experience I would say that flat panel LCDs (not to be confused with rear projection LCDs) are the most reliable, but they are also very expensive in that size range. After that I would consider Plasma to be a very reliable technology.

Silver Member
Username: Wearenotalone69

Post Number: 393
Johnhunter44,

One reason you read allot of posts about the JVC D-ILA is because because (IMO) they are selling a bunch of them.

If you have two products that are pretty close, and one is say $1,500 cheaper, and they are basically the same thing, either be it performance wise, or the set themselves using the SAME internals...(I read somewhere that the light engine of the JVC D-ila's and the new Sony Lcos sets are being made by the same supplier.) People are going the buy allot more of the set that is priced cheaper.

If you go for a D-ILA, get one of the DesignerPro type sets with the 3 position auto iris that improves black levels...

One thing about the D-ILA vs say Plasma... say your kid, or friend, or whatever throws something at the screen.... on the D-ILA the screen is a piece of plastic the image is projected against.... Cost about $500 max...

Throw something at a plasma, damage it and you're looking at a set that is probably totaled. $$$$$.. ditto on a LCD flat panel that the screen is the "picture".

T OM B ong
Unregistered guest
YEah I was banned but Im around. YEs I am not a fan of DLP. Read the number of issues and you will see why. Its the RATIO of issues to other technologies on this and other forums that concern me.

I bought a plasma and am thrilled with it. Its a 42" Maxent made with Panasonic glass. (MX3)

I bought it at Costco becasue they have an UNLIMITED return policy. So no risk no worries for the next 7-10 years. I also bought a 26" LCD and an Optima Movietime Front Projector from Costco. I am buying a Sharp 26 LCD from them this week to use as a computer monitor. With the exception of the Sharp I paid LESS then $3000 for ALL the TVs and have FREE better then any Extended Warranty return policy.

I enjoy HD on a SA8300 DVR and could not be more satified at the bang for the buck I have.

I do not like any Rear projection TV as only ONE person gets the best picture (the one sitting in the sweet spot). The lamps can cost $300 to replace nad although my Optima FP is DLP I only watch DVDs on it and for the cost of a lamp I get a 102" screened image which rolls down in front of the plasma.

I do not want a big box TV. I prefer wall mounted TVs. AS far as LCD vs Plasma. I prefer the CRT look of the plasma as well as the reliability over all other technologies.

Renmber this fact.

Many who buy Rear projectors bought them because they cost of the plasma was too high at the time. NO ONE who ever bought a plasma preferred a rear projection TV. Many RP owners are now looking at plasmas now that the prices have dropped.

I spent $1700 on my 42" HD plasma and would buy it again over any 50" RP TV. I had a choice and made it without regret.

The whole1080P thing is big in RP right now. I do not think its worth the extra money as you really need a 60" screen to see the benefit unless you sit three feet away from a 50" TV. I think its a marketing ploy to keep RP sales up in the face of falling flat screen prices.

SO there you go

My rules.
1. NEVER by an EW
2. Buy a Costco where you don't need one
3. Never buy any RP TV
4. Never buy MOnster anything
5. Never buy a line conditioner for a TV (TVs have switching Power supplies) Line conditioners do nothing for them.
6. Always consider what SDTV is going to look like becasue there is not a lot of pure HDTV and what there is may not be very compelling anyway.

Never buy the top of the line TV becasue if you have cable TV you are not getting full resolution HD anyway. Most is HD lite. And alot of source material is terribly converted.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2484
So Tom lives, heh.

quote:

Never buy the top of the line TV becasue if you have cable TV you are not getting full resolution HD anyway. Most is HD lite. And alot of source material is terribly converted.

I agree, but if you're going to be watching movies, the top of the line wouldn't be a bad way to go.

Bronze Member
Username: Johnhunter44

Post Number: 12
Thanks Tom, very informative info. If I can swing the $$$ I will be looking at plasma mainly. If I cant, what about buying the samsung hcr4755 crt rp? I can get it for 999.00 with stand at Sam's. It has a good picture and for the money, if after several years, I want to upgrade, by then plasmas should not cost near as much....

Tom B ong
Unregistered guest
Jexx. I have seen such a difference in DVD transfer quality I do not think it makes much of a difference what you watch them on. In fact why spend top dollar for a Pentium 99 when the software is no better then what can be fully realized on a Pentium III.

The Movietime DLP and the plasma show the SAME countouring issues on certain DVDS (even on many HD broadcasts) so the hardware is not the issue.
The difference between a $2000 plasma and a $5000 plasma is hairsplitting at best and only the extremily educated eye and anally obsessed enthusiast will even appreciate the difference.

JOhn:

Limp in aat he least expense you can. The "software" is not worth spending $4000 to display either in the amount of compelling content available or the quality of such.

Most "quality name brand" HD TVS of ALL technologies are throwing away half the resolution on top of that. See Gary Merson's article on AVS forums. Its a shame really.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2487
Tom, good point, but within those parameters you have to consider the quality of the TV. The difference between the $3000 and $5000 is also how well they were manufactured and what parts they used. The $3000 might stop powering up because of a faulty (or badly soldered) IC on the main PCB within a year of use whereas the $5000 might last another three years plus.

Also the $3000 company knows it's cheaper than the $5000, so they'll have relaxed standards on quality control testing. I know for a fact Samsung LCD's are required to attain a specified number of dead pixels for it to qualify for the whole panel to be replaced-some companies will do it for only one dead pixel.

Tom B ong
Unregistered guest
Thats true in many cases. But purchasing at Costco relieves me of those issues. I saved about $1000 NOT buying a Panasonic. If the Maxent lasts 5 years then blows up I will be able to replace it then with a Panasonic for much less MSRP and adding the $1000 I saved alot more. BUT I can also return the blown Maxent, get a refund for the $1700 and buy a Panasonic then for maybe the same.

In the mean time the image quality is very very good as well as the features. Becasue it is a rebadged Panasonic anyway it has the quirks of the Panasonics like NO zoom or stretch in HDMI or component. But it does "remember" settings for each input which is a better feature for me as my DVD player and STB does the stretching and zooming when needed.

Silver Member
Username: Jimkw

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 104
You can really watch a TV for five years and return it for a full refund? That's hard to believe. Both from the stanpoint that you would have big enough gonads to do it, and that the company would be willing.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2488
And I thought Tom hated extended warranties, heh.

Tom B ong
Unregistered guest
Absolutly. Costco has had an unlimited return policy on everthing they sell (except computers 6 months)

The only catch is you have to remain a member. I will return my plasma if it fails in year 7 with no hesitation. I pay them $100 a year for an executive membership. They will refund the purchase price. I also bought a 26" LCD TV and an Optima FP from them and have no issue returning any of them if they fail within the next 5-7 years.

I shop at Costco BECAUSE of that policy and always look to buy there first whether a refridgerator or a wall clock. The best peace of mind is free and lasts as long as you have the gonads to return a defective item.

Tom B ong
Unregistered guest
Actually the best peace of mind is costing you 100 dollars a year. Right around the price of most extended warranties. And if they ever decide to change that policy you are up the crick. They've already done it on some computer products. It's only a matter of time before they realize that customers like Tom are using their policy against them. Heck they could just refuse to sell you a membership anytime they wanted to and you'd be just as skrewed. Just thought I'd point that out.

Tom B ong
Unregistered guest
Sorry I am not only talking to myself but disagreeing with myself at the same time. I had better take another timeout.

Tom B ong
Unregistered guest
Uh nice try.....But the Costco membership costs $45 a year. I pay $100 for the Executive membership becasue I get 2% back which more thenpays for the extra $55. And IF you don't buy enough to warrant paying for the executive membership YOU GET THE DIFFERENCE BACK!!!11

Now Mr Wisenheimer...Tell us all where you can get a 7- whenever year retrn policy on a TV for $45 a year? I am sure many here would like to know.

I get that $45 back before MAY..

If they change the policy (and they won't) Any TV that was bought under the terms and conditions of purchase will be honored. Costco did that with computers. Computers were an issue becasue the avg Joe was returnng computers THEY SCREWED UP sofware wise that worked fine otherwise. They are not getting back many TVs and selling far more.

I am not worried about Costco changing their policy becasue I know they know the only reason many people buy big ticket items there is because of their policy.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us