DLP Repairs?

Username: Tucker37

Sayville, NY USA

Post Number: 2
Are DLP's having more repair issues than Rear Projection LCD's? If so which brands have best customer service and track records
Sony or Samsung?

Anonymous

DLP's are having less display and lamp failure issues than LCD/LCOS.
Samsung has the best customer service by far.
Extended warranties are advised with any RPTV purchase.

Silver Member
Username: Wearenotalone69

Post Number: 394
SAMSUNG ????

I've read posts saying Samsung jerks around repair stations on paying them. (Which does not make the owner/techs "happy" when they are called to work on a SAMSUNG)

About two months ago, ran accross a guy who has been WORKING at a repair station for MANY years, we got to talking and he CONFIRMED that SAMSUNG is VERY SLOW TO PAY... and in fact they have DROPPED, are not servicing SAMSUNG any more for that very reason.

Capital GANG
Unregistered guest
Being SLOW to pay and not paying are two very different THINGS. Although I'd AGREE that techs being unwilling or UNABLE to work on Samsung tvs as a result MIGHT present a problem for the CONSUMER, your evidence for SUCH a problem is ANECDOTAL at best. I am CAPITALIZING for NO apparent REASON.

Bronze Member
Username: Percysj

Dallas, TX US

Post Number: 12
DLPs have more moving parts than an LCD, so DLPs have the potential to fail more often. Some LCDs and DLPs use the same type of lamp which means that it'll depend entirely on the overall quality of the company's lamp and your watching habits.

Between the two technologies, I'd highly recommend DLP over LCD. Mainly b/c of the better black level and sharpness that DLPs have over LCDs. I'm also bothered by the screen door effect found on LCD displays...bugs the CRAP out of me!

Anonymous

Mr. 69,

Your experience has never been echoed on this forum. My personal experience has been that Samsung customer service has come through twice. The first time was a next day service call for a minor problem. They extended my factory warranty another 90 days too. I have seen posts here where they have done the same for others. Some were out of warranty and were taken care of as if they were in warranty.

Samsung will answer the phone immediately and not leave you on hold. My dealings with another famous maker were just the opposite in every aspect.

Hey 69, I read that you are a JVC owner. Maybe you should talk about JVC instead! You seem to be a chatty busy body trying to direct the actions of others. Unfortunately, you come across as condescending. The idea that you will have some effect on JVC with a forum thread is totally ridiculous.

Silver Member

Post Number: 395
Anonymous,

If Samsung works for you, then fine. I stand by my previous post. I was just reporting what someone who has been in the repair business for over 20 years told me... They got tired of being jerked around on getting paid by Samsung and dropped service on that line.

So far as your comment about being a chatty busy body, trying to direct the actions of others.... In the JVC threads what I've been trying to drive home is that unless people post detailed info (and post under their own screen name), we owners will be bearing the cost of repairs... Instead of JVC and the mfg's of the lamps and the light engines being made to.

So far as these threads not having effect on mfg's... There is another thread on short lamp life on some Panasonic models... Within that thread is a link to a website for any online petition... Funny that you say such threads have no effect because Panansonic if I was reading that thread right has extended the warranty period)

BTW: You have heard of a "mystery shopper" haven't you? They visit retailers acting like a regular customer. I would assume JVC does something along those lines so far as to trying to find out what issues are affecting customers. If there smart they may have people that do the same thing on the service end, and they may have persons that search the net for unhappy customers that are reporting problems.

One last thing, how did you find out I own a JVC?... (Oh, I forgot.. I post under (1) screen name, unlike you.. not hiding under multiple screen names.)

Silver Member
Username: Helpful_smurf

Post Number: 150
"BTW: You have heard of a "mystery shopper" haven't you? They visit retailers acting like a regular customer. I would assume JVC does something along those lines so far as to trying to find out what issues are affecting customers. If there smart they may have people that do the same thing on the service end, and they may have persons that search the net for unhappy customers that are reporting problems. "

Funny story, I recently had a JVC rep in my department and he asked me specifically if I was selling any of the HD-ILAs. I told him flat out no. When he asked why I told him that the stories I seen about lamp life issues made me hesitant to recommend them to my customers. He got a little offended and asked me if I was running down his product to customers. Wrong tack to take on an incredibly busy day about 5 days before Christmas. I got offended right back and reminded him I am a NON COMISSIONED sales person, further I actually gave a crap about how my customers felt about me long term. I asked him how having to replace a bulb under our service plan within 6 months was going to benefit my company? Finally I asked him where the h3ll he'd been the last 9 months I'd been working there? I pointed out that to date my entire experience with JVC as a company was the interaction we were having right then (not a good one) and from posts I'd read complaining about his product. I pointed out I had recieved no training from my company on his product, nor was JVC represented on either of the retail training sites electronic retail employees frequent. Every single thing I know about their product was learned on my own by reading magazines that I paid for myself or browsing online forums. Furthermore I had never even seen so much as a lousy pen with their name on it while DLP gave out neat little pads with DLP chips on them, LG handed out useful things like pens and tape measures and logitech hands out Harmony remotes like they were candy. I regularly talk to reps for Comcast, Bose, Philips and others as well. I told him I thought he had a bit of nerve expecting me to support his product when so far as I could see JVC had never done a single thing to support themselves by promoting to and informing line level guys like me. He beat a hasty retreat and I'll be suprised if I ever see him again. His keister was practically on fire.
As for mystery shoppers, they do exist but if they can't even get a rep to the store more than once a year I doubt they are financing mystery shoppers. The only ones we ever get are there to evaluate our sales under company standards, for the company itself.

Silver Member

Post Number: 396
Helful Smurf,

Great post. Glad to hear you are someone that promotes product you believe in. I am the same way.

If it was me, I'd be inclined to contact his boss, or better yet his boss's boss... Contact the district office and let them know how their "reps" are doing in the field.

I would think if for no other reason YOUR boss would want you to do so... What I mean is you're carrying JVC... and having reps like that does little to promote their product in a postive light to those persons that care about the customer. If I was YOUR boss's, boss, boss I'd want you to do so, because having sales reps that believe in the product boosts sales... Not to mention the fact the your comments may save the company (Best Buy?) money in the long run. Not good to have sales reps that will not promote a product when that product is taking up floor space $$$$.

BTW: If you're concerned with your job... I wouldn't recommend it, since by not using your real name anything you say carries little or no weight... you could do it under the name "Anonymous".... I'm sure he wouldn't mind.... I bet Anonymous has some other names you could borrow too. Me thinks ( and I bet he will deny it) this is one of his posts: https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=565714#POST565714

Anonymous

Let's see....

Full Name: WeAreNotAlone69
Last Logged In: January 05, 2006
Total Posts: 401

So what if you post under one username.
Looks pretty damn anonymous to me!
One or ten, what's the difference? NONE!

Anonymouse
Unregistered guest
Yup, I've never been terribly worried about posting on forums. So long as I'm not giving out confidential information it's no big to corporate anyway. You should see the things they say in the BB employee forums!

Silver Member

Post Number: 403
RE: So what if you post under one username.
One or ten , what's the difference?
(Maybe posting under multiple names)

Anonymous,

Say you had a "problem", and you remembered someone posting a "fix" to that problem, or say a special contact person that could by-pass the regular CS maze you usually have to go thru if you have anything beyond the regular CS problem.

Say that person posted several months ago.... Say YOU are in desperate need to contact that person ASAP.

How would you for example PM, or e-mail a person that goes as an Unregistered guest? (or even do a search under their "name")

(I noticed by your "name" that there is no way to PM, or e-mail you.)

I look at forums like a TWO-WAY street. People come to get, and give advice.

Some come just to GET advice, Only caring about themselves, NOT caring if the help anyone else. (Jerks)

Some come to not only to get advice, but also when they can to try to HELP persons in need.

Which camp are you in?

If you're in the second camp (Those that try to help others)... Why not create an account, instead of posting as an Unregistered guest?

Let me ask you another question.... What kind of weight would your boss give a letter written under the name of "Anonymous" (or by an Unregistered guest, instead of a "member".) ... saying you were doing a GREAT job at work, that you deserved a RAISE...

VS... Say a letter written by someone who used a name in which your boss could contact them to verify the information as true.... Before he added his signature and submitted the paperwork for your raise to corporate?

Would the letters carry the same weight?

(BTW: Correct answer is NO, the letter by Anonymous would go into the paper shredder as soon as the boss sees the name "Anonymous", or something to that effect.)

Let's put it another way..

If YOU were the BOSS, and you had in your hand a letter that was signed only as "Anonymous", and there was no way to verify or contact the person who wrote that letter.... Would you sign-off and forward that letter to corporate?

Of course you wouldn't.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us