Toshiba 46HM95

Byron Leftwich
Unregistered guest
Forgive the generic title. I am new to these boards but have tried to put in my due diligence by doing several searches for the info I am desiring but have not found what I am looking for.

I just bought this set but will not have it for about 5 days (delivered through E-bay). We are BRAND NEW TO HD. About us- we love watching movies and sports (football) but not much else. We subscribe to direct TV but DO NOT have a Direct TV HD dish, antenna, DVR, etc. We are not planning on spending the $10.99 x-tra a month to upgrade to the HD channels but here is what we would like to know from you knowledgable folks:

What do you think of the set?
What else do we need to purchase/do to get the best picture possible?
Any surprises out of the box?
What cables do we need to get?
What else do we need to know?
Where can we purchase an extended warranty?
We are interested in over-the-air HD- what do you recommend? How complicated is it to get this set up?
What problems are you facing with this unit?

I know it might be annoying to answer all of this but if you have the time I would be so grateful. Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Helpful_smurf

Post Number: 147
The Jaguars Quarterback Wrote:

>What do you think of the set?

It's pretty nice. I still prefer the Samsungs over the Toshibas but it is very nice.

>What else do we need to purchase/do to get the >best picture possible?

Since you are not going HD with your DIrect TV you should get an antenna. Go to Titantv.com and use the antenna finder tool and order one.

>Any surprises out of the box?

Sometimes.......a cobra! Seriously though hopefully it was shipped carefully, projections sets often arrive from online sources DOA because the bulb could not take the jostling. If it fires up when you plug it in you should be fine. Hope you are running some kind of surge suppression, line conditioner before you plug it in......

>What cables do we need to get?

Upgrade to Component cables for your DVD player and change the setting on it to Progressive scan.

>What else do we need to know?

Even better get an Upconvert DVD player!

>Where can we purchase an extended warranty?

Dunno.

>We are interested in over-the-air HD- what do >you recommend? How complicated is it to get >this set up?

Setting up the antenna is a breeze. Then you have to got through a auto set up on the set itself so the tuner and scan and find the channels you can receive off the air. Once you do that you can change betwen all the channels, some you will want to delete from your channel list entirely due to poor reception. Enjoy.

>What problems are you facing with this unit?

Not many, the foruma have been relatively free of complaints. You chose well.

Are you in Jacksonville by chance?

Byron Leftwich
Unregistered guest
Thanks Smurf. Yes you were helpful. Anyone else?

Username: Sa812

Post Number: 1
I bought the Toshiba 46" DLP HD projection
TV. 3 months ago.. My bulb blew up last Saturday 5 hours before the playoff game "go figure"

Bulbs are on back order from Toshiba 7 to 10 business days. I'm going to give Toshiba the benefit of the doubt that all the shipping from factor to distribution center to best buy to my house caused unnecessary harm. Still not to happy i got a $1400.00 black lifeless box in my living room with a little 9" color tv sitting next to it. :-(

The set on HD channels is awesome!!

I purchased an extended warranty through Best Buy which seems like a good call now..

For connections buy a HDMI cable for the TV to Cable/Satellite box connection. Don't buy the monster cable that's like $100.00. You can get a RCA for like $65.00 it makes a big difference in picture quality.

You might want to check with your cable provider you can actually get a TV card for this set it costs $6.00 a month. You'll get all the HD channels and whatever premium channels you bought just no on demand..

Silver Member
Username: Kdog044

Post Number: 211
Check with antennaweb.org for the type of OTA antenna you need and what stations you can expect to pick up by plugging in your zip code and address.

N.R.H
Unregistered guest
STEVE, N.R.H. HERE. I SEE YOUR POST ON TOSHIBA'S BULBS 7 TO 10 DAYS. GOOD LUCK! I HAVE CONTACTED TOSHIBA 7,8 DAYS AGO, THEY TOLD ME THEY HAVE 20,000 BULBS ON ORDER BUT WON'T BE GETTING THEM UNTIL SOMETIME IN FEBRUARY. I ALSO HAVE A LIFELESS 56 INCH TOSHIBA DLP IN MY LIVINGROOM. IT IS ONLY 3 MONTHS OLD. THE OWNERS MANUAL SAYS 6,000 TO 8,000 HOURS. I SURE HOPE TOSHIBA COMES UP WITH A BETTER SOLUTION ON THEIR BULBS. I LOVE MY SET, BUT 3,4 BULBS A YEAR WILL BE REAL SPENDY. I SURE HOPE SOME ATTORNEY'S HAVE THESE SETS, MAYBE SOME ACTION WILL BE TAKEN AGAINST THESE COMPANIES.

Username: Rjryan130

Post Number: 1
I also bought a toshiba 46 DLP HD rear projection and it was delivered with what appears to be "boken mirrors" that cover about 8% of the screen. Does anyone know how or who can fix this and would it be worth the costs? I am willing to spend a bit on it because I was able to still purchase the tv at a huge discount but just dont know where to get it repaired. Any Ideas?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us