Artifacts and MPEG2

I just had the Dish PVR501 system installed. Even with a strong signal, I get terrible artifacts on backgrounds and I lose details in faces. The TV is a 50" HD-ready projection unit, recently cleaned and calibrated, so I don't think it's the TV. Does digital cable offer better resolution/less artifacts (pixelling)?

Vidguy
Possibly, but what one is never told at purchase of those jumbo NTSC tv's is that the larger they are, the more they magnify any artifact.

DISH is known for exceptional customer service. Tell them your problem and have them exchange your gear and see if that helps. Otherwise, get used to seeing everything, warts 'n all.

Francis
I have the same problem. I had some minor artifacts on my 32" Sony Wega and a Dish PVR501. But when I upgraded to a 40" Sony Wega XBR - my picture looks horrible. Painfully watched a football game on Sunday.. I saw some other postings on DirecTV receivers that recommended NOT using the S-Video cables.. so I'm going to try using the standard RCA cable and see if it helps.... I'm terribly disappointed. Dish made me upgrade my PVR software - but the artifacts remain.

INSTALLGUY
THE SATALIGHT COMPANYS ARE RUNING OUT OF BANDWIDTH. THEY GIVE OUT BANDWIDTH TO THE MOST IMPORTANT CHANNELS LIKE PPV AND HBO ECT.
THESE CHANNELS ALWAYS LOOK THE BEST THE NEW HDTV CHANNELS TAKE UP ALOT OF BANDWIDTH TOO AND THEY ARE TRYING TO ADD ALL THE LOCAL CHANNELS TOO TO GET MORE $$ OUT OF EACH CUSTOMER. YOUR BETTER OFF WITH A GOOD ROOF ANTENNA SYSTEM BECAUSE THE LOCALS ON SAT LOOK LIKE COMPLETE TRASH.DISHNETWORK IS ADDING A NEW SATALIGHT SOON TO HELP THIS PROBLEM . THEY ARE ADDING 3 MORE HDTV CHANNELS. AND PLAN FOR EVEN MORE HDTV. BUT IF YOU ARE THINKING OF BUYING DISHNETWORK YOU MIGHT WANT TO WATE TILL THE NEW (SUPER DISH COMES OUT)AND THE HDTV PVR RECEIVER WILL BE AVALABLE ALSO. THE SUPER DISH MAY NOT BE AVALABLE TO EXISTING CUTOMERS

Russ
I hate to say it but he's right. Also, the cable companies are doing the same dang thing so there is not guarantee that their video will be any better. Its really too bad this is going on as its basically a scam on the customers that its really the satellite and cable companies getting the real benefit from Digital TV. That is, its allowing them to squeeze more channels into the same bandwidth.

Username: Pinotgrigio1999

Post Number: 7
For the artifact problem...I ran into the same thing with my new plasma. Here is what I did, and it works pretty good. Go to your picture menu and try to find the NR,(noise reduction) feature, try turning it off. What happens is if you are receiving a good signal, you do not need it on. This feature enhances poor signals, and does not really improve better ones. If you have this feature I hope it helps.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us