5.1sound from DTV

Username: Bucky

Post Number: 1
Greetings:

I've got a regular DTV setup single dish and a standard RCA digital 2 channel output DSS receiver. I don't have a HDTV TV or receiver yet but would like to hear 5.1 surround on my speakers. Can I do this by switching from analog to digital hookup between my DSS and my AMP or do I need a different Dish and DSS receiver to do this ? Tnx

Username: Captaintrocar

Ulster Park , New York USA

Post Number: 9
Ben:
I just bought the RCA DRD486RH Sat box from Best Buy for $99. This model provides component video jacks and fiber "Optic" audio output jack. What a difference from the standard dirctv box I was using the sound and picture are incredible!

I would recommend you replce you standard box with this model. All you need is the reciever fro $99 and a phone call to your DSS service provider.

Post Number: 2
Are you still getting digital 2 channel running thru DSP or ProLogic or are you getting 5.1 Surround Sound ?

My DTV box is a RCA DRD430RG and I'm wondering if I need a new dish AND a new receiver for 5.1 ?

Tnx

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
I am not sure how to confirm that, other than I was previously using standard audio out RCA jacks for audio. Now after listening to my fiber optic connection from the DRD486 into my Onkyo HT there is a major difference in audio.

I did not chnage my dish which is the standard 18" round.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Ben:
I have only used the unit for 1 day, but for $99 (Best Buy)you get 2-pair of composite video jacks and 1-optic out for audio, which is for Dolby Digital output.

Here is a link for your review:
http://shopping.yahoo.com/p_rca-drd486rh_satellite-systems_1991386497?cf=fullspe c

Post Number: 3
Does that mean you are hearing 5 .1 seperate sound channels if you listen to a program broadcast in 5.1 surround like HBO or PPV ?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Yes, My Onkyo 6.1 decodes the signal from the Sat Optic cable to Dobly Digital (5.1 in your case). I can tell you that Tony Soprano's voice emits from the Center speaker, and fist fight effects from others.

Post Number: 4
Wow that's great news.. did it make any difference on the regular 2 channel non-surround digital ?

tnx

Post Number: 5
Also Harry:

What kind of TV you running. I have an older 36" mitsubishi & I'm using S-video hook up. It doesn't have the more modern inputs for video.

Ben

Post Number: 6
BTW:

I have a 6.1 Marantz but I don't use the rear cenetr channel. Is there anything going on there ?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
1) Yes, 2 channel sound become fuller by the fact that you can run select all spearkers;

2) I am using my Hitachi 60V500a 60" LCD. Note that the RCA DRD486RH also provides an S-video jack.

3) It appears that the rear center speaker is active as it;s own channel if the dvd is made for that 6.1 mode. (I am not an expert in this field, maybe someone out there could elaborate more)

Post Number: 7
Thanks Harry, you've been very helpful. I have my analog RCA DTV output going to my Marantz and I run it in DSP mode or ProLogic mode and it does a nice job of processing the signal and giving a synthetic surround effect. However, knowing that with a digital output receiver I could get the actual 5.1 sound, then I'd be way ahead until I save up my pennies for a flat screen/HDTV.

Tnx

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Ben:
I found a link directing you to the DRD486RH Users manual. Read page 37 which covers the "Dolby Digital" settings. Should help!

http://www.directv.com/learn/pdf/System_Manuals/RCA/RCA_DRD486RH.pdf

Post Number: 8
Thanks for all the help.

Best,

Ben D.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us