Hitachi 50v500 Problem (Purplish Glow)

Unregistered guest
I have a feeling I'm not alone...
love my Hitachi but have recently noticed a purplish red glow that has almost consumed the screen, it is very apparent on very dark scenes. It appears to get more intense the longer the set is on, but the glow appears only to affect the dark scenes, the color scenes are still brilliant and appear unchanged. The HD viewing is still fantastic but when the scene gets very dark (night scene)...the purplish glow can be seen in them. Could this be the start of the Light Engine failing that I have heard about? Set was manufactured in Sept, 2004...I would have thought this would have the updated L-engine in it.
Thanks for any help...I have tried attaching a photo for you to this effect but it won't download, I can e-mail the photo if you would like to see this, it is quite impressive for a negative issue.
Thanks for any help guys...

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 501
SRC, does it look like this?

https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=492579#POST492579

Unregistered guest
Thanks John...the link will not open anything?
Can you send me the picture?
Thanks,
Scott

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 504
Sorry, the link is slow, but it works for me. Anyway see Michael Somers Wed Oct 26, 2005 post on the "Hitachi 50V500 RPTV reviews??" thread in this "rear projection" division on this forum.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/5818.html

SRC
Unregistered guest
John,

It is exactly the same issue...great photo.

I read all the posts that followed his, seems his was the Light Engine but as I read farther down there is another post stating it is possibly just the LCD Drive software values being out of adjustment. Not sure now what the real answer is, but the software values being out of specs does make some sense, ventilation is not my issue.
I'll will call for service to see what the Technician will say...as it still is under warranty...from your knowlwdge of this issue which way do you lean...is this issue that common with these sets?
Thank you all for your help...great forum, it is a powerful tool that we all can benefit from and a place to turn when we become frustrated with our Hitachi 50v500s.
SRC

rmg
Unregistered guest
You have a lot of company with the red glow in the 50v500
I checked the settings , ghosts etc but it is still there.
Probably the light generator needs replacing??

A little less than 5000 hrs, can't say if that is good or not

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 506
SRC,
Good luck with the fix. I wish I could tell you what the magic pill is for your set, but I am not a service tech nor have I had the same problem (or any other) with my 50V500, knock on wood. I have seen many posts from people who have problems with this set, so much so in fact I hold my breath every time I turn it on.

I can't prove this but I think the failure rate on this model is no worse than others. I can only point to Hitachi's excellent reliability record in the past.

Keep us posted on this or the other thread and again, good luck. :-)

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 507
rmg,
5000 hrs. is excellant on the light bulb itself, but I think the actual light engine should last that long and probably much more.

SRC
Unregistered guest
Well,
Placed the call today to my local Hitachi warranty/service center, the tech asked which model I had...told him 50v500...he asked what was happening to the set...I explained the purplish/red background on the dark scenes...his response was short and simple...call Hitachi. Told me to notify them to this issue. He said he just repaired a 50v500 10 days ago...same issue.
Light Engine.....now we wait for Hitachi to contact him with a authorization number...I have a feeling this is going to take some time...I will keep you posted.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us