Samsung HL-R5067 or Sony KDF-E50A10?

Bronze Member
Username: Jimkw

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 82
Have been on here and other forums for quite some time trying to get educated. I was convinced that I would buy the Samsung HL-R5067 until today. I went out looking again and several sales people told me they really preferred the Sony E50A10 rear projection LCD to the Samsung DLP. Said it will have less problems and last longer.

The lip synch problem I keep reading about on the Samsung does have me concerned. I am very sensitive to that every since I had the problem once with a Sony DVD player.

Just looking for opinions.

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Helpful_smurf

Post Number: 119
Dunno, to be honest I think I'd be more concerned about the catastrophic "optical block" failure on the Sony LCDs after reading the thread on this forum. A thread that seems to continue on and on. I've never seen a trace of sound synch problem on my 5067 with any source. None.

Bronze Member

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 83
I went into two Best Buy's and talked about this very same thing. Two guys really knew what they were talking about. One said definitely DLP the other said definitely RP LCD. Then I saw the Sony 40" LCD, not RP. It blew me away with it's picture quality. The other TV's were in the darkened area and this one was in the direct store light, and it still looked awesome. I am now starting to look at the 45" LCD's that are now on the market. They are quite a bit more expensive, but are they worth it? Like $3500 vs. $2200. Do you think the prices of the LCD's will come down?

My parents passed away a few years ago and my sister in-law has been living in the house since then. We just sold the place and will settle on 12/02/05 so I will have enough to buy something soon. It's not like "money is no object", but I could afford the $3500, if it's worth it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 121
Yup, I have a tough time telling customers to pick either one, both look outstanding. It's basically a coin toss. We had the Samsung 5067 standing on an end cap for months and it stood up to the ambient light every bit as good as the Sony does in it's place. Tough call. I'd say (and often do) but the one that fits your budget, both are super nice.

Silver Member
Username: Xdrummer03

Tenessee

Post Number: 137
Personally i like the more vibrant colors and sharpness on the Sony. There 50 Gran Wega is the best TV till you move to there 50" SXRD that cost 3,999.99 That 40" LCD flat panel Sony is the hottest TV going right now.Even the 32" in the same size.The 40" has been on back order twice in the month and a half its been out.

Silver Member

Post Number: 122
Yup, we just got a bulletin at BB stating the 40 inch XBR would be unavailable for quite a while. I did a check on stock and found ZERO in the warehouse and no backorder availablity. These will likely not be in stock again till after Christmas. Might as well sell my demo in the next day or so and save myself some headaches. People are going to see, want it and then we won't be able to get it.

Bronze Member

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 84
What about the Sharp Aquos LC-45GX6U or the Samsung LN-R469D? I definitely want something bigger than a 40", can't fit anything bigger than 50".

Bronze Member

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 85
OK I did some looking today. I looked at the Sharp LC45GD6U, Panasonic TH50px50, Sony KDF-E50A10, Sony KDL-V40XBR1,and the Samsung HL-R5067. The Sony 40XBR was, in my opinion, the best picture. The Sharp 45D6U was a close 2nd, but the price was way up there, ($4,500 after 10% discount). I liked the LCD Flat Panels better than the Plasma's. But for the money I am still leaning towards the Sony 50A10. I saw it in several stores right next to the Samsung DLP and liked the LCD RP better each time, and I did have the remotes and several other customers were with me w/o a salesman. One guy was there (Sears) ready to buy the Samsung 4667 and when we were done, I'm pretty sure he was buying the Sony 46A10. I went to Pricegrabber.com and found the Sharp 45GD6U for under $3500 delivered and the Sony 50A10 for around $1950. Now is the Sharp worth more than $1500 more than the Sony?

Need Useful Info
Unregistered guest
Hi - I posted a similar inquiry in the "Sammy DLP problem" area - but it really belongs here.
I am thinking of choosing among:
Samsung 5067 (DLP)
Sony 50A10 (LCD)
Hitachi 50VF820(LCD)(not alot of discussion on this one that I could find)
Similar prices, sizes, picture quality . . . but I have read lots of complaints about each technology, problems with smudges, blotches, stuck pixels, optical block, short life lamps, etc., and at this point relative durability and quality of customer service are high on the list of priorites, right up there with PQ. Sounds like an extended warranty (first time for me) is a must. Thoughts? Thanks.

Username: Antmanv1

Marietta, GA USA

Post Number: 5
I bought a SS HL-R4467 and love it. However, it had a minor flaw in the display (two overlapping rings, hardly visible and only on a black backround. I called Samsung, they sent out a tech, and with no hassle he replaced the entire light engine, calibrated some settings and was out the door within an hour.It was the best service I've ever experienced with any company. For that alone I would recommend Samsung. Oh, and the pic quality is superb. The negative with LCD, I heard are: burn in is possible- and optimal viewing is only achieved looking dead on. I can't go for either. It's a personal choice, it's new technology, only time will tell. BTW- I've always been a Sony fan. I would be interested in others experiences with service and warranty issues. One more thing, buy the extended warranty, who knows what's going to happen to these things in a few years, they just came out! later,
Scott

Bronze Member

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 97
I bought the Sony 50A10. Had it for a week now and have no complaints whatsoever. My daughter was sitting way off to the right last night and said she could see it fine. I sit right in front of it about 12 feet away which is optimal. I paid for it, it's my TV and my chair so I get the best. Like I said earlier I was really ready to buy the HL-R5067 until I started looking at them side by side and went with the Sony.

Once you have it narrowed down to two or three go by what you see comparing them in several stores not by what you read on these message boards. That's what I did. You will see some positive and quite a bit of negative about any of them. I did buy a four year Best Buy in home EW that includes lamps. A first for me also. I paid around $2500 total for the TV and warranty before taxes. It was within 10% of what I would have paid on the internet. It was delivered in two days. It just fits in my entertainment center. 3/16 inch clearance on both sides. That's close.

HRO
Unregistered guest
I went to BB today and looked at both the Samsung HLR5067 and the Sony KDF50A10. Both looked pretty good but were not next to each other. The Samsung was $2000 and the Sony $2250. I often wonder when comparing how they are each set up. In other words, I wonder if I would like one better than the other if I spent an hour or so setting them both up to my taste and looked at them side by side. Any thoughts from those of you who own them? Perhaps one has more latitude in the setup adjustments? What are your thoughts on getting the extended warranty for either? Thank you all very much for your assistance.

Silver Member

Post Number: 132
Settings do have a lot to do with it and any set on the sales floor is likely to be set to "completely bizzarre mode" by whoever messed with it last. I am constantly finding sets with menu screens open, running static, or some other thing as some dolt poked around in the menus, messed things up and then walked away. Those are just the instances where you can tell the menus have been poked around with, there are probably just as many where they were able to get in, mess with settings and then exit. If you want a true comparison get a salesperson to help you get in there and set things to your liking and then take a look side by side. My opinion is that the Sony and the Samsung are almost identical in picture quality, almost a coin toss as far as making a choice between the two. In cases like that I always go (and recommend) the one that is less money.

As far as service plans go, it's can be an excellent investment in those cases where something horrible does go wrong, like the optic block problem some of the Sonys are popping up with. DLPs have moving parts which can fail and all projection sets have bulbs that are covered by the BB service plans. Let's just say I work at Best Buy and I know how hard they can try to sell you on them and knowing all of that I STILL chose get one on my Samsung DLP. It's a case where I honestly believe it will pay to have it in the long run and when you are laying down 2000+ bucks on a set that's long term money you are spending.

Bronze Member

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 99
My gripe now that I have had the 50A10 for a couple weeks is that it only has one HDMI input. I have a new Denon DVD hooked up to it via component and the picture is not very good. When I hooked it up via HDMI, which I normally have from Directv, it looked better. Not great but better. I have not yet tried to use component from the Directv, but I know I have to get the DVD using HDMI. It would really suck if I had to go buy a switch so I can use the one HDMI input on the TV for two devices.

AV Fan
Unregistered guest
I've been looking at replacing my 10-yr-old Sony 46" TV with either Samsung HL-R5067 or Sony KDF-E50A10. Visited BestBuy in Palo Alto, CA, and the 50A10 is on sales for $1,999 for Dec 16 and 17 only. The store has 12 of them in stock. Local delivery is $49 including taking away my old set. Some of you may be able to get a price adjustment?

HRO
Unregistered guest
I think you folks are right. The KDL-V40XBR has the best picture but is more expensive. Think I will wait for prices to come down on that one. Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Xdrummer03

Tenessee

Post Number: 157
Will be waiting for a lil minute for that one or the 32 XBR to come down :-)

JTS in Chi
Unregistered guest
Does anyone have any advice as to how to disable the TV guide function on the Samsung 5067? I've had it for about two weeks and it's driving me crazy that I have to hit exit on the remote every time I turn the thing on. I'm using Comcast with their DVR and I'm not interested in using the TV Guide function.

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 560
JTS,

Answered in another thread!

JTS in Chi
Unregistered guest
Thanks

Unregistered guest
With the recent price drop I would get the Sony 50" SXRD.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us