Hitachi 50V500 has one 1/2" vertical line down the left side

Username: Twitch

Covington, LA

Post Number: 1
First of all thanks for the information posted on the site. I found plenty of useful information and I also found that people are having problems with their 50V500.

I have yet to find any posts related to the issue that I am having so here it goes.

The TV exhibits a 1/2" vertical line all the way down near the left edge of the screen. It is not noticeable when the parts of the screen are dark. For instance, if I view the picture in 4:3 picture mode with the standard gray sides the ½" line appears a darker gray color. If I change the sides to black it is hardly noticeable.

I bought the unit from CC early '04 and still have about 4 years left under warranty. I initiated a service call and the tech. came out yesterday. He stated he thinks the issue is the light engine affecting the red panel but he was not 100% sure and would contact Hitachi. He did state, as all of you here do as well, that the part was on backorder until early next year.

Fortunately my set is usable and it's more of a bother to me and no one else. I am not certain though about the tech's judgment on the engine compared to what I've researched. I do not have any red ghosting or blooms as most of the others show that have the bad engine.

What do you y'all think?

I may still go with the engine replacement since the TV's do have so many problems with them anyway. This might save me some headaches down the road.

Thanks for all advice or input that you can provide.

Scott.

Username: Dvitous

Post Number: 2
I've got a 50v715 purchased 2/2005.

I have a horizontal red and green band across the bottom of mine, and another band across the top.

Called service and they said "light engine". They ordered the part 9/30 - but the repair place is saying the part won't be in til after JANUARY!!!

I didn't go extended warranty, so I'm working off the standard 1-yr.

Just had the wife call Hitachi because our warranty clock is ticking with a defective unit.

According to the Mrs., they will try and expedite the light engine, and that if we had more issues, they'd extend the warranty period.

The cust svc guy even referenced an email I sent in Sept, so it at least sounds like they have it together somewhat.

Proof will be in the deliverables!

Jkword
Unregistered guest
I also have the 50V715 purchased in Nov of '04. In August of '05 a yellow band formed across the top of the screen. The tech came out in early Sept, said light engine, and ordered the replacement. Six weeks later and no part, the service center had me call Hiatchi, the light engine should arrive by the end of Nov.

Not sure if it's a manufacturing problem with the light engine, or a design issue, but with such a long backorder, something just isn't right. This was my first Hitachi TV purchase, and probably my last.

Username: Dvitous

Post Number: 3
Well, I just saw a 50v720 in an ad somewhere, so the model has been updated somewhere...some how.

I'd be really pissed if this turns into a chronic thing. Hopefully the long backorder means an updated part.

Bronze Member
Username: Tv_mike

Post Number: 25
All,
If you look the Hitachi 50V500 review thread,
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/5818.html
You will see that there does seem to be a systemic problem with the red portion of the optical drive.

The bulk of the information about this TV is posted on that thread.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us