NAD T513

Username: Newfie

Post Number: 7
I'm wondering if anyone owning a NAD T513 has had any issues with it. Or even heard of any. I'm on my second unit right now. Both have had intermittent loss of the right channel during stereo play back. On the anolog output only.

Unregistered guest
I'v had no problems up to now. And it runs many hours a day, since my little son also watches his movies on it.

Silver Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 823
Viper,

That seems like an unlikely coincidence; two units with such a specific fault. I would look very closely for a problem with the right channel analogue connection to the receiver/amplifier, or in the receiver/amplifier itself. Did the problem show up at the dealer's? Did you change the interconnect, too (there would be a new one in the second box)? Did you try another ouput, such as going straight from the DVD player to a TV?

If it really is the player, when you say "Stereo playback", is this from all sources - CD, DVD, etc?

The T513 is a recent model, so you are an "early adopter", and there is not much of a history of reports.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Thanks for the advice John A. I de-snagged it to the right DVD analogue output by swapping cables at the back of the DVD player on both T513s. It worked fine when using the Toslink and coax outputs. I have since returned both units.

Silver Member

Post Number: 829
Viper,

It sounds to me like you have isolated the problem OK. It is too bad, and I am sorry to hear it. My view is that the dealer should have been alert to the possibility that he had a bad batch, and saved you the trouble of going through all that a second time. I can imagine the irritation. What did the dealer have to say? Each time?! "Sorry"...?

As regards the general question of NAD reliability and quality control, please take a look, if you can, at NAD - To be or not to be?. I linked that on another thread, in response to your question there. Quite why the "owner" of that thread (who owns threads?) got so angry about that, I have no idea. I was attempting to direct anyone interested to a thread on exactly that topic, thereby keeping his own on track. My position on the issue is "case not proven" - that link explains why.

That doesn't help you. It would be only human to dump NAD and consider alternatives. There are two Cambridge Audio DVD players at about the prices of the NAD T513 and T533. They should sound just as good, and both have DVD-Audio, which I warmly recommend (on the strength of a new NAD T533; no problem - yet) And that goes whoever the maker is. There is a poster called Rick Barnes who has one of the Cambridge Audios on order, and has promised to report. Where he will post that, and when, I do not know.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
John A.

Thank you for your reply. The dealer service has been absolutely second to none. I'm sure there are dealers out there that would have taken the first product and sent it for repair. This dealer has insisted on sending me home with only new "A" stock products.

As for the Cambridge Audio, I am already auditioning it. I have to agree that the Azur 540R and 540D are pretty close to NAD sound for my ear. Not to mention the savings, however, the Cambridge Audio is much more simplified. Having less flexability (i.e. inputs, DSPs etc.) in comparison to the NAD. The important specs and features are more than adequate for my needs.

Silver Member

Post Number: 840
Viper,

Thanks! I would be interested to know what your experience is with Cambridge Audio. The player I considered was the Azur 540D, but it was just on paper, they are not in stock here, yet.

If you will forgive me going on about this, you might eventually find there is an advantage in leaving the T513. DVD-Audio is one of the only real developments in audio for decades, in my opinion. It is comparable, in fact, to the introduction of stereo.

If you want a player for movies only, then it is not so important, I realise that.

BTW As I said, I have a new NAD T533. It displays no problems.
I wrote a review here. You could consider one of those, too. Probably it shares many components with the Azur 540D.

NAD T533 DVD/CD player user's review, and DVD-Audio

Bob Jackson
Unregistered guest
Any word on the Azur 540D, my money is burning a hole in my pockets. I have a NAD 763 receiver and am partial to spreading the wealth and trying something new, such as the CA unit. After reading as much as i can, which is not much, i am leaning towards the CA, nothing against nad, i was about to buy a used t762 (no DVD-A). I want damn perfect picture and a very solid cd/ DVD-A player. Looking forward to the reviews.

BJ

Bob Jackson
Unregistered guest
sorry about that, I was looking at a t562 dvd player.

BJ

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Bob,
I did not purchase the Cambridge Audio Azur line after all. My NAD dealer gave me a step up on both my T753 and T513 player for cost (a deal I couldn't refuse). I'm now using the T763 and T533. The T533 and 540D seem to be very close in performance. Though, I haven't had the opportunity to audition them side by side. You may wish to compare specs.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
I also contacted the CA technical rep about the 540R specs. There are issues to still be resolved. He writes:

"There is no "Watts Rms" rating for 4 ohms because it is not recommended to use 4 ohms speakers with this receiver. You should use a speaker which has no lower than 6 ohms.

Yes, it's true that there is a couple of software issues being currently resolved with Cambridge Audio. These are :

1 - No subwoofer output on DTS Neo:6
2 - RDS System problematic
3 - Speaker size (large and small) doesn't have a memory when you shut
off the receiver.

We should receive an upgrade really soon to correct all these issues."

Bronze Member
Username: Markusp

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 17
Apparently the fix will require replacing 2 chips in the CA units which should be rather simple for the distributor to accomplish. Hopefully these fixes will be in the works in the next few weeks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 912
Markus,

Thanks. I wonder what is the source of the info.? I also wonder whether receivers with this problem have been bought by customers, already, or if it has been detected before sale, at a late stage in production.

Viper,

How is the T533? You are the only person I know with one, except me. I have updated my review (linked above). If you have anything to add, or if you disagree, it would be great to know.

Bronze Member

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 25
John - that info comes from my CA distributor. I keep in contact with him approx. once a week. Here is his latest email:

"Hi Mark,

The only new news is that we now know that we'll need to replace 2 chips and should not be too difficult, it's also taking a bit more time than anticipated because they found another little minor issue. The RDS system is not working correctly, this should also be fixed."

I for one own a unit with these problems but it hasn't really been much of an issue. I would suspect that this problem was discovered after a bunch of units had already sold. The 2 dealers I deal with had no idea of the problems until I brought it to their attention. The problems aren't something they would readily notice unless they setup the system in full 6.1 setup and constantly changed inputs.

Bronze Member

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 26
Just wanted to add that I really do like the CA 540R. Its not perfect, but what receiver is? I prefer the fidelity aspect of this receiver over the in-your-face presentation by most other home theater receivers. That's just me and my preferences. Other people prefer different things so luckily, there are a ton of different receivers that cater to different tastes :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 924
Markus,

Thanks. This all makes sense. You probably know there is a recurring debate, here, about whether NAD is especially prone to problems like this, for example: NAD - To be or not to be?.

I think I have the same sort of priorities as you. You make a good recommendation.

HELP
Unregistered guest
I need to buy a DVD player. What do you reccomend, The NAD513, or the Denon DVD-2200??

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
J.A.,
I am enjoying the T533. Have had no problems at all with the unit. Have not made use of the
DVD-A feature as of yet. Still waiting to audition Monster's DVD-A cable set. Soon to be on sale in Canada I am told. I was very impressed with an audition of this media on a Parasound "Halo" unit though.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1254
Viper,

Good to hear. Just get 3 x two-way or 2 x three-way analogue RCA interconnect cables, from you nearest shop. You have one 3 x two-way out of the box. The whole six-way connection need not cost more than one disc. One more three-way, like the one in box, is a trivial sum. IMHO waiting to audition cables is like not taking your new sports car for a spin because you haven't decided with which brand of gasoline to fill the tank. No disrespect, but cables are hardly the issue, here! BTW apart from DVD-A, I also got much much better Dolby Digital 5.1 using the 6x analogue output.

HELP of those two, the Denon 2200 alone has DVD-A and SACD.

Username: Siebel

Reoentigny, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1
Regarding the T513, when I read the specifications, it seems to be a T532. NAD upgraded the T532 (now the T533) with better features and DACs. Does that mean that they reused the T532 and relabeled under the T513?

Does the audiophile DAC of the T513 is the same as the one in the T532?

I have an integrated amp. C370 and looking for a good DVD player (no need for DVD-A). Seems that the T513 is the perfect fit (and not expensive in Canada - ~$300 CDN).

Gold Member

Post Number: 1288
Patrice,

See my thread linked above on May 03.

No, the T513 and the T532 are different. The T533 is a total redesign - I put some photos on the thread linked above.

Unregistered guest
Does anyone know a hack for this player (T513) to enable region 0? :-)

Anonymous Dude
Unregistered guest
The NAD T513 is based on the same hardware as the LG6000, therefore you can use the same hack as can be found on this site:

http://lgregionfree.tripod.com/

Click ENTER --> Choose 6000.
You should now be downloading a file called "6000.zip"

Unpack the file and burn the folder "RMTM0000" (not the textfile that accompanies it) onto a 650Mb CD and set the CD project up so that it has ISO9660 and Mode 1. Also close the disc (no multisession).

Now put the cd in your DVD-player. When a blue screen with a menu for switching regions come up, press 0 on your remote. Press pause. (you should now exit the menu) take out the cd and restart your dvdplayer. VOILA! Your DVDplayer should now be regionfree.

I have just tested this on my NAD t513 and it seems to be working good. I suspect this also works on T533, but I have no chance of testing it.

NB! The crack for LG5000 looks exactly the same, but since this DVD-player is a different build, it won't work.

Dragonbreath
Unregistered guest
What would you recommend: a NAD 532 or a NAD 513 for 50 bucks more?

RandomGuest
Unregistered guest
My NAD dealer told me today that the T513 has been discontinued already. The replacement (T514 he assumed) is due in Jan 2005.

Don't know why they gave that model the axe so soon. One can only speculate.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us