Archive through March 13, 2005

Curious
Unregistered guest
I've seen Kawasaki portable DVD players at Target. They seem to be priced very good. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Bronze Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 31
I have had one of the Kawasaki portable DVD players for almost a year. I paid $177 for it at Walmart. I needed something for a long road trip I was taking and I wanted to keep it under $200. It has a 7" 16:9 screen and has done a wonderful job keeping me entertained. It doesn't say it can read DVD-Rs but mine have played pretty good for the most part. I've had a few studders but nothing major. Comercial DVDs play perfect though. It reads MP3 discs without any problems too. I've used is as a music player on many occasions. It is not loaded with tons of features (no progressive scan, no digital out) but I've been impressed with the results from such a cheap player. I'd highly recommend it to anyway looking for a low cost way to watch movies on the go. I even hooked it up to a TV in a few hotel rooms with good results. The battery last about 3 hours, which is plenty to watch just about any movie. If you can find one for the right price, I'd give it a shot.

Anonymous

I have one. Love it. Looking to buy an extra battery, also lost the remote. Any ideas?

Bronze Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 68
Ebay has the batteries sometimes. I paid $25 for one. Not sure where to find the remote though.

jayjays
Unregistered guest
i bought one of the kawasaki portables from Target last month,it was reduced in price so well worth the money,but can anyone tell me how i can make it multi-regional?

Anonymous

Region Free hack (also allow VCD SVCD playback)

http://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/t191119.html

farrah
Unregistered guest
i bought one from target last year. still works great.

Anonymous

WHO SELLS the extra Batteries for the Kawasaki DVD player Model # PVS1665. Battery Model # BATT-2P. Can some one help ?

Anonymous

according to the owners manual check http://www.1800252612..com

onebigswede
Unregistered guest
i bought one a year ago, it works like a dream. And the speakers actually put out some decent sound, unlike other portable dvds i've seen.

cindrella
Unregistered guest
Mine did not come with the car adapter as states on the box. I found out too late and it could not be returned. Any ideas where to find to adapter for the car?

Anonymous

again... according to the owners manual check http://www.1800252612..com

Anonymous

sorry, I had a typo:

should be http://www.18002526123.com

hope that helps.

Unregistered guest
i just bought one 1080 model 8.4 screen. it have digital out-put. it works just as well as my home sony brand. it reads cdr/rw, mp3, digital pic. great buy. $167.00 at target.

Unregistered guest
batteries can be found at www.venturer.com

the one for mine cost $43.00(1080 model)

ew0202@aol.com

matt2532
Unregistered guest
I just bought one too, seems to work great. I couldnt find the battery on the website, could you please explain where?

Unregistered guest
I haven't yet opened my Kawasaki 8.4" from Target. I just noticed the box says 2-hour battery life. Is that true? It seems inadequate...

Judy K
Unregistered guest
I just bought one of the 1080 models at Target today for $167. I know absolutely nothing about portable dvd players but the price was in my budget and the sales clerk recommended it over the Eddie Bauer and Audiovox brands. Do you think this was a wise purchase for a 13 year old? If so, do you know of anything particular I should caution my 13 year old so it might possibly last a while? It appears to be a little more fragile than the portable video games. Thanks

Unregistered guest
Hi, I bought the 8.4" screen model at Target as well today. I noticed a fairly loud 'whoosh-whoosh' sound, almost like static coming from the speaker, when the disk starts, stops or is forwarded. Did you notice that as well, or do I have a defective player?

Thanks

Deep
Unregistered guest
I bought one kawasaki DVD Player yesterday and I Found it ok till now...but ofcourse worried with mix-mode experience of people here....

Keep posting your experience on same...Thanks.

toasters
Unregistered guest
I just bought the 8.4 inch from Target too. Sound is great, quality is amazing. Some of the widescreen dvds dont take up the full screen though, so I just click zoom and that takes care of that. The only problem is is that mine sometimes freezes a little. Anybody else have that problem?

Larrylee
Unregistered guest
I just bought the 8.4" screen and tried to play a picture CD I produced on my computer. I get a message that says "no valid disc". I"ve played this disc on my regular DVD player with no problems. I tried a music CD and a walgreens CD on the 8.4" and they played OK. I'm mystified! any Ideas?

toasters
Unregistered guest
Larrylee, are you burning your picture CD on a +r or a -r cd? I got the same error when I tried to play my +r dvd on it. Then I played the -r and it played fine. If you need more help, you can e-mail me. My e-mail address is toasters@gmail.com

Unregistered guest
I just bought the Kawasaki dvd player with the 8.4" screen from Target also. I know nothing about portable dvd players. Are any of them able to be A/C connected or do I need to rely on battery life or the car adapter? Please let me know before I open the box.

Jean L.
Unregistered guest
I bought a Kawasaki DVD planyer from Target yesterday. So far it seem to work great. Body seems a little flimsy but the picture and sound appear to be good. Great buy for the price $167.

JRT
Unregistered guest
Everybody seems reasonably pleased with this unit. Has anyone tried playing a DVD-R disk full of MP3's? Does the unit have decent software for reading the disk, reading the ID3 tags and organizing the songs for play? Thanks!

Unregistered guest
I just bought the Kawasaki DVD player too. So far it's working great by its self. When I connect it to my VCR to in order to play the DVDs on my TV, the movies goes dim then comes back to its normal view light on the TV. Can anyone help?

sidewinder
Unregistered guest
Got the 8.4 and it works fine so far. Does anyone else notice the screen is very pixellated? Its 8.4 but it looks like they did that by jacking up the size of the pixels rather than putting in more pixels. This is my 1st portable DVD so can't say if its the norm or if that explains the unheard of $167 for an 8.4".

Charles T.
Unregistered guest
Yes I noticed the large pixels, Also no tint or contrast control.
Still Ok for the price.

Trixie
Unregistered guest
Does anyone know the dvd player case that best fits the 8.4" Kawasaki PVS 1080 model?

kingmom
Unregistered guest
Why can't I hear mine???? Do I have to use the headphones or what?????

targetpuker
Unregistered guest
does anyone know how to dezone these PVS-1665 players? so they can play all zone dvds?
any help would be appreciated
tx, Dan

targetpuker
Unregistered guest
OK i figured it out; to those of you wanting to dezone your Kawasaki PVS 1665 (i.e. play foreign dvds even in PAL format) here's what you need to do:
* Turn the DVD power on by either plugging into wall or using battery unit.
* Open the disc tray.
* Use your remote to type in 8132 and 8. (note little hyphens will appear as you type in the numbers, it's normal so keep on typing!)
* When you type the final 8, a line of text will come up that says something to the effect of "Region 1 ".
* Hit the enter button untill you reach region 9. (this is region free, meaning your unit will play any dvd from any region and those DVDs even recorded in PAL format, the European standard. The US standard is NTSC)
* Close disc tray.
Your unit is now multiregional. I tried this and it plays both American and foreign dvds under this coding.
Hope it helps...
Targetpuker

Unregistered guest
Saw the Kawasaki PVS1965 at Target today - I think it is relatively new, and seems to be a hot selling item. Its has the separate console, with two detachable screens - the idea is to be able to strap to the back of the headrest, similar to the high-proced custom headrest screens. I just have never had experience with Kawasaki electronics before - it sounds like a good deal at $299.99, but wanted to see if anyone has ever had any issues with this particular model, or any Kawasaki electronics before... Thanks for any help/advoce

Unregistered guest
I have the same question as Trixie, does anyone know which case best fits the 8.4" dvd player?

The frequent traveler
Unregistered guest
I just purchased the portable and i feel it is too good for the price...I mean i played with it for hours to see if anything would malfunction on me but it seems good! still tryin to figure out why it was so inexpensive... hmmmmm!!! marketing scheme on PRICING i guess!

winwin
Unregistered guest
For the carry case, I have tried 3 bags. It ends up the Targus DVD-402 from Walmart for $29 best fits the 8.4" PVS-1080. I have played the player for a few days, the quality is great for this low price. The only thing I do not like is that it is somewhat bulky to fit in my Camry mounted between the seats. The unused space on 2 side of screen makes the player width too wide.

Unregistered guest
Can anyone tell me how long the battery will last before requiring a recharge?

MovieBill
Unregistered guest
Does anyone know if the 8.4" PVS-1080 can be dezoned? Would it be the same procedure as listed above for the PVS-1665? Thanks for any help, and happy holidays to all!

Bill

tttodayjunior
Unregistered guest
same question as moviebill because i don't want to open the box without being able to get rid of the region coding so can someone please post it?

Montgomery
Unregistered guest
Yes, PVS-1080 can be dezoned same procedure as listed above for the PVS-1665, I did this for mine, and while I have no other region disks to test with, it now plays my burned VCD, SVCD and DVDs. Before it would not play my VCD or SVCD, I hadn't tested my burned DVDs till after Dezoned.

Montgomery
Unregistered guest
Answer to isu18 question: Screen cycling normal to dark is caused by Macrovision copy protection. you must connect to something that doesn't recognize Macrovision like a TV or a very old VCR. Almost all modern video recording equipment incorporate Macrovision.

MovieBill
Unregistered guest
Thanks a lot, Montgomery...I don't have any other regions' discs either, but I'd like to buy some. I really appreciate your responding to my question. I'll be dezoning mine when I get home today. Now I can add other-region dvds to my Christmas list!

onobono
Unregistered guest
Kawasaki portable dvd players are made by Alco Electronics.Their web site is www.venturer.com or the address given above in an earlier post. On line, you can order parts for the players- battery, remote, cables, case, etc. Alco makes electrical items for many companies, so you may well see a very similar looking unit to a Kawasaki under a different brand in the stores.

Curious
Unregistered guest
Does anyone Know the Screen Resolution on the PVS 1080 ???????

cher
Unregistered guest
Has anyone purchased the Kawasaki PVS 1960 with the two screens - Sounds fascinating BUT does it work well. I am trying to decide between a Sony 7" with car adapter and the Kawasaki PVS 1960. Any ideas or opinions???

novicedvd
Unregistered guest
I just purchased a Kawasaki Portable 10" DVD Player - PVS1102 for a Christmas. Any reviews about this dvd.

isu18
Unregistered guest
Thanks Montgomery for your help. I'll remember that Macrovision copy protection for next time that I want to watch any DVD videos on a separate screen.

Unregistered guest
Does anyone know if this will conect to the power supply on a plane?? If so, where can I get the connecter?? New to this, need all the help I can get. Thank you,
Jennifer

Unregistered guest
I have the Kawasaki 6.8" and has worked great but now the screen is dark and can barely see images. Do I need a new screen or what?
Shannon

toasters
Unregistered guest
woodpeckerinc, are you still covered under a warranty? If so, just take it back and exchange it for a new one! Will dezoning my portable dvd player do anything bad to it at all? Will it malfunction or anything?

Unregistered guest
Sorry, but no! It was a Christmas gift last year so my warranty is expired. Thanks! woodpeckerinc

just opened
Unregistered guest
just opened the box on this, played a dvd-r just fine. resolution was as crisp and clear as i think it could have been, but i did get the 167 deal at target, so can't really complain, especially since last i looked they upped the price to $269. i am definitely wondering about how long the battery lasts and if this will hold up. I went to the venturer.com website and got info on parts and things, but the only clue on battery life i got was in one of the very cheesy troubleshooting videos, in which he says "when the battery fades after two or three hours" - but i would like to hear what someone's real experience has been.

MikeinTexas
Unregistered guest
Just received a PVS1102 for Christmas. What is the expected play time on one charge? Where can I find an airplane power adapter?

Anonymous

I just got the PVS 1102 and have no sound at all! Is there a mute button? What gives?

StephInGa
Unregistered guest
I just recieved the 8.4" for Christmas and charged the battery to check the life. It lasted 2 hrs and 20 min. I did this 2 times so far. I'm not sure if you will get less time the more you charge.
I am also interested in an airplane power adapter if anyone has info.
Steph

Mableaande
Unregistered guest
I've been searching everywhere for a DVD case for my 8.4" Kawasaki DVD player. Someone earlier suggested the Targus one from Wal-Mart DVD 402 case, but they are out of stock now. I had bought a different one from Wal-Mart (Case Logic) but it didn't fit it. Does anyone else have any suggestions on what would be the best case for this one (online or in the store)? Thanks!

Anonymous

We recieved at 8.4" Kawasaki DVD player for Christmas. We're having trouble locating a case for it. Wal-Mart is out of stock with the Targus DVD402 player case. I had purchased a Case Logic one at Wal-Mart but it didn't fit it. Could anyone suggest a different case that would fit it? Thanks!

R4racing
Unregistered guest
Has anyone had any experience with the Kawasaki PVS1965 dual screen dvd player?

Anonymous

Wal-Mart has the Targus DVD402 player cases back in stock for anyone interested.

Anonymous

Wal-Mart no longer has the Targus DVD402 player cases in stock. Apparently, lots of people received the Kawasaki PVS1080 for Christmas and that's the only case that works. Does anyone know if Wal-Mart will be getting more of the cases in?

onobono
Unregistered guest
Go to targus.com. They list a number of cases for DVD players up to 9" screens. They also list retailers who carry the cases. Their customer service may be able to direct you to a case that will fit the PVS1080.

holly
Unregistered guest
I found a carry case for the PVS1080 - go to www.venturer.com the carry case is $30

Jaylin
Unregistered guest
I also recieved the PVS-1080 and have loved it so far. But today it started playing in B&W only and I can't figure out why. I haved tried several DVD's and I get the same thing everytime.

Unregistered guest
Can you buy an extra battery for the pvs 1080 other than on line at the www.18002526123.com. Every time i go to purchase one other customers name address and personal info comes up on the screen . I do not want to put my personal info on there.When i casll them on the 800 # no one ever answers or its busy.

totallyperplexed
Unregistered guest
We just bought a Kawasaki portable player and dezoned it as per instructions posted earlier. It worked great, but only the first time! Now it won't play any dvd-rs, including the one it played right after we dezoned it. We are totally perplexed over this. Any thoughts?

totallyperplexed
Unregistered guest
Jaylin--if the contrast dial is turned to the lowest setting everything will appear in B&W. Any chance you inadvertently turned this dial?

Dahlia
Unregistered guest
For those of you who are trying to buy a case for the PVS1080, you have to keep checking Wal-Mart.com. I set it as a "favorite" screen, so I could check it frequently. It seems like they become available early in the morning, and then sell out very quickly. I was lucky enough to get one. My advice is to keep trying. They keep getting more in.

Unregistered guest
I have a Sony DVD Player, DVP-NC625 and I search a solution to dezone my DVD player, anybody help me? Thanks

Username: Mackjw

Baltimore, Maryland Usa

Post Number: 1
I received the 1080 for christmas after several chargings the battery will not play a complete movie does anyone else have this problem.

needacase2
Unregistered guest
i also have the same problem with the1080 battery life. it also takes too long to charge, whats up with that!

Username: Joboo

I have an "extra" Kawasaki rechargeable battery pack that is collecting dust. P/N BATT-P. Anyone need it? Make me an offer.
I found this website by googling the part number, great sourds for my a/v questions.

Ely
Unregistered guest
I was at Target and I was looking at the Kawasaki Model #:PVS1965. The cost is $300 and comes with two 6.5" LCD Screens. Has anybody bought one of these and what do you think? I didn't see on the box that this has a Battery, is that correct? Any info would be appreciated...Thanks

Rhonda
Unregistered guest
after months of debating, I picked up a kawasaki pvs1665 at target today, the "sale price" is 159. Pricewise, it seemed like a good deal for a 6.5 screen.

Joboo - too bad your battery isnt what I need - I'd gladly pick it up from you.

Unregistered guest
I've dezoned mine and it still won't play a dvd-r or a dvd+r. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Draven

Unregistered guest
Does anyone else think that this screen is very unclear? Any idea how how to improve this since I do not believe it has contrast control. I saw my neice's Initial portable today with a "LCD TFT matrix color IDM" and the picture is fabulous. Can anyone explain the difference to me? I might return mine and get another since I have only watched 5 minutes so far. Value you input

Anonymous

we have the PVS1080 and also have had major trouble trying to find a case that fits. Alco electronics (the distributor) had one on their website that was supposed to be custom made for that model. But you can't attach the battery once you actually get it in the case. So I dont recommend trying it because online purchases are not returnable.

toasters
Unregistered guest
I have the PVS 1080 and I'm having a problem. I play a dvd movie in it and these black boxes appear and then go away in the middle of the movie. I rewind to that same part and they aren't there. It's really weird. It does this with every movie I try to play. It's very frustrating. Does anybody else have this problem?

Ivy
Unregistered guest
My player just went out. The LCD is not playing anything. I can hear the the preview music and such with no picuture. Of course it is out of warranty, It appears that the black lead into the LCD is out. I may just have to count it as a loss. It was great up untl now.

Ivy
Unregistered guest
My player just went out. The LCD is not playing anything. I can hear the the preview music and such with no picuture. Of course it is out of warranty, It appears that the black lead into the LCD is out. I may just have to count it as a loss. It was great up untl now.

onobono
Unregistered guest
Draven,(and toasters,if problem is with DVD +/-):
Try using different media brand
Burn at slower speed (2x, 4x)
Minimize compression

Unregistered guest
i need remote control for my kawaski portable dvd player pvs166w

anyone wants to sell it?

mail me

Harmania
Unregistered guest
Considering buying the PVS 1102 10.2" Screen. Any comments about this player? I'm particularly interested in anyone with experience connecting the RCA outs on an xbox to the 1/8" ins on this player.

Harmania
Unregistered guest
Considering buying the PVS 1102 10.2" Screen. Any comments about this player? I'm particularly interested in anyone with experience connecting the RCA outs on an xbox to the 1/8" ins on this player.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 512
I use mine for game play all the time. I bought an adapter from radio shack that has 3 RCA female plugs on both sides. http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=274-898

Just plug your game system in one side, the DVD player in the other, and move the switch on the side of your player from "DVD" to "IN". You can also hook up a camcorder, digital camera and just about anything else with RCA outputs.

Mrs. Girard
Unregistered guest
Bought a Kawasaki 10" DVD player from Target on February 26th. The charged battery lasted 2:40 and picture is very good. I'm far from an electronics expert and am still learning what all the buttons are for. I seem to do better with the remote control. Sound is okay..better with headphones. So far, I am very pleased and think unit will be great on long plane trips.

Username: Curio77857

i have a kawasaki portable dvd player and i wanna know where u can get a a/v in cable so i can play ps2 cause my freind has one but doesnt know where he got his?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 536
You don't need a special cable. JUst get one of these. http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=274-898

Set the DVD Player to "IN", then plug the RCA cables it came with into one end of the adapter, and your PS2 RCA cables into the other end.

Davanter
Unregistered guest
Got the 10.2 inch model from Target and display clarity is mediocre at best. Everything else like menu functionality and sound is fine. Anyone recommend another player in this size range near the $349 that I paid? Best Buy has an Insignia model but they have no display model. At least I can identify Kawasaki even though they're made by Alco. Got Target's 3yr/30K disc (LOL) warranty online for $45 as these things tend to quit after a couple of years. Also found the perfect travel case to fit it at Best Buy, Targus Sport DVD player case, SKU 9263620544, DVD301-02, $29, holds unit, accessories, and 10 DVD's.

Anonymous

I just saw the kawasaki pvs1965 at Target and was wondering if it was a good buy. This board is great. I will buy it monday. They only have one in stock so I'll have to hurry

Unregistered guest
Just bought a Kawasaki 6.5 dual screen player system from Target today. On the way home from Target, unit started acting very strange. Video quality was very bad. Any other like experiences?

Unregistered guest
Just bought a Kawasaki 6.5 dual screen player system from Target today. On the way home from Target, unit started acting very strange. Video quality was very bad. Any other like experiences?

Unregistered guest
We bought the Kawasaki PVS1965 with dual screens for our kids for Christmas, and have used it several times without ANY problems. We looked around alot before we bought it, and this was the best deal for us without paying $1000 to have one installed, plus we can use it in hotel rooms also which is just another bonus feature. The greatest thing about the screens, is that we can put one in the middle and one in the back seats of our expedition and everyone is happy. The only thing I haven't been able to figure out about it is if we can hook up the playstation and they can play on one of the screens while a movie is being watched on the other screen??? Anyone know?

Paul Timm
Unregistered guest
I just bought the Kawasaki PVS1965. Please help me with this. Can this thing run on a battery, and if so where can I get it?? I've been on hold with the company for 4 hours now, and the website doesn't have this brand listed!! I'm moving to Japan this summer and I need a battery for the plane. Thank you

Unregistered guest
hey Paul,
I found out that the PVS1965 DOES NOT and cannot run on a bettery. You can use an outlet or a cigarette lighter only. Good luck in Japan!

Markz
Unregistered guest
I just bought the PVS1965 and yes you can watch a DVD on one screen while you play Playstation on the other screen. I just did it. You just have to pick the screen you want for each and slide the button from dvd to av in or av in to dvd. Works like a gem. I've only been playing with it now in the house for about 1hr. So far I think the picture is good. The external speakers do not sound all that great, but it sounds really good with headphones, which is what I will use 99 percent of the time in the car. I will test it out in the car next. I will keep you updated as time goes on.

Paul Timm
Unregistered guest
Thank you Jenn!!

Unregistered guest
I bought the dual screen PVS1965 and the kids watched Shrek 2 on the way home. Everything worked as expected. It's not a high end model but the sound and picture were more than good enough for kids. No skipping or any other problems. The only thing I wasn't sure about was buying a unit without a battery but do they really need one? The kids will almost always be in a car or a house and it comes with both adapters. This unit should be good for playstation and hooking up a camcorder on trips.

Paul Timm
Unregistered guest
Hey Cold Mark,
I liked the idea about two screens, with having two small kids and a 20 hour flight to Japan I assumed I could run a battery with it, but heres the answer I got from Tech Support:

Unfortunately no batteries were developed for this model.
There are two monitors and using a battery would be impractical. Even if one were developed, it would not last very long. Using batteries would become very costly. There are universal batteries that are made and sold at various retail stores, however they may not last long enough to watch a single movie. We do not recommend using a universal battery.

Theresa
Unregistered guest
I purchased the 6.5" Kawasaki portable DVD player. It did NOT come with a car adapter. Where can I find one? TIA!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us