HDTV 1080i problems

Unregistered guest
I bought a SVA 42" HD4208T111-PDP, connected it to Comcast Motorola DCT5100 HDTV box. heres what I got, on the PC/ DTV RGB serial connection i recieave 480p signal but TV can't pull in or find 1080i nor 480i signal, when connected to component by rca plug get split screen all in red again tv cant find 1080i or 480i signal only 780p and 480p, but when connecting with S-video I get 1080i signal with overide 480i picture looks fantastic, problem is picture in HD format postage stamp size, picture in non-hd format 20" portable tv size. I have spent three weeks tring to get my HDTV to work with my HDTV Cable box, along with three visits from Comcast also,
could someone help me get this set working at HD 1080i or tell me that these two systems the TV and The DCT5100 aren't compatable ?
Comcast blames Motorola DCT5100, SVA blames Comcast for weak signal, Motorola says try DCT6200. plese email me any help thank you very much.

Username: Sherrilll

Post Number: 3
If you go to the menu on the DCT5100 you can select the different size resolution 1080i etc. The problem is the different interfaces on the 5100 will not work with different resolutions. To view 1080i you need to view through the Component Video port fo the DVI port.

serpentwyne
Unregistered guest
Sherrill thank you but I finally got the right answer From SVA.
the new SVA TV has a 15-pin analog RGB connection. The only way you are going to get HD is by setting your box to 720P and using the hybrid cable that comes with the plasma. Otherwise you would need to get a HD box that has a 15pin connection in the back of the unit. To do 1080i you will need a 15pin RBG connection on the HD box.

Hope someone can make sure this info gets to all HDTV owners that may be having this problem with the new TVs

Anonymous

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=hdtv+pci+card

That link is a google search. There's lots of good HDTV Pci cards out. Read up, u'll answer questions about decoding.

If you look into such a card, you'll need a big computer.

p4 class processor - a tun of ram - and winXP

Unregistered guest
Citizens of Hi-Def T.V. I stand before you !!!

My relatives purchased a 58-in. Hitachi Hi-Def "Ready" T.V. The problem is their cable provider doesn't broadcast in Hi-Def. Is there a product - similiar to a cable box - they can purchase that will transfer their current cable analog signal into a cable digital signal without having to go to Direct or Dish Satelites...Take me away from this Madness...

Username: Jdsaenz1

Post Number: 1
Perhaps their cable provider offers a 'digital' package of channels; most (I think) cable companies, like Time-Warner, provide the digital cable box to view these channels on your relatives' HD ready set. The cable company may even have an HD digital box for their TV set so that they can view the few HD channels provided.

donaldkeyes
Unregistered guest
I cannot get a picture through the DVI cable port between my TV (I have a Samsung 50" DLP HD TV) and a Motorola DCT620 cable box from Comcast. Does anyone know what is wrong? The menu on the TV shows the DVI cable is connected. Are there necessary settings to make on the cable box which will make the DVI cable active?

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 132
dk:
It is entirely possible that the cable box's DVI output is not operational. That is certainly true with my cable company's HD box. The DVI output port is there, all nice and pretty, but the necessary electronics to make it work is not inside the box. This is no doubt because they decided to save some (maybe a lot of) money by not buying their (Scientific Atlanta 3250HD) boxes with active DVI outputs.

This may also be true in your case.

John C.
Unregistered guest
What about problems with the sound and picture being out of sync on Samsung DLP HDTV's. I had this problem with two different 46" sets. Has anyone else seen this problem?

Unregistered guest
I have a new Samsung HLN507 and I also have the same problem with the sound and picture being out of sync. Have you been able to solve this problem and How?

Unregistered guest
Have talked with Time Warner on the DVI port and it is correct that it is not available. Does anyone know when TW is talking about turning up this port? What do you think about switching to Voom?

Frank

Unregistered guest
Have talked with Time Warner on the DVI port and it is correct that it is not available. Does anyone know when TW is talking about turning up this port? What do you think about switching to Voom?

Frank

Bronze Member
Username: Jdsaenz1

Post Number: 53
I was about to go with Voom, except I just learned you need a home phone for menu access and such. (we're using our cells for everything). Anyway, Voom's deal sounds pretty good; it ends Friday, July 30! As far as I can tell, Voom is the only source for the largest selection of HD programming.

and no, I'm not 'officially' with Wendy's, I mean Voom.

Anonymous

I have Voom and no you don't need to connect it to your phone line (although it says that it requires it but then again, same as any other SAT companies). The installer left without connecting to the phone line and it works fine.

Anonymous

Voom does have the largest HD selection out there but what happens if something goes wrong with the box or wiring?

Anonymous

Since spring of this year, Voom has added the rental program to its offering. You don't have to pay any installation fee. Only for about $10 a month per box rental. Voom would be responsible for anything happens to the box. And according to Voom, when its DVR comes out, you can exchange it if you want (I don't know what the DVR rental fee would be).

Unregistered guest
Hi all, I have a Sony VPL-HS20 front projector in my living room, it functions fine with dvd's, standard def cable, VCR etc. But I got my HD digital cable box installed the other day and have noticed something odd happens when I have the cable box set to 1080i, (the first time HD has been run through the projector) my projector will run the gorgeous HD picture and sound perfectly for a while, then it will switch itself to the Memory Stick Mode, without my prompting. I tried pulling the batteries out od the remote, wondering if it was triggering the switch, but this didn't help. It seems that if I have the cable box set to 720p, then this doesn't happen anymore (so far). Anyone have or heard of this problem before?

Thanks in advance for any help.

:-)

Unregistered guest
i just recently got hdtv, the samsung ts-360 and i have a panasonic 47" widescreen everytime i turn on dish it has a slight line down the left center of the screen, but when i turn on dvd player the line gos away. i dont know what to do i had the tv checked its fine , the reciever is fine ,and the components are fine. please help.

Brad Wease
Unregistered guest
I recently purchased a Samsung DLP 56 inch and it is connected to a Motorola HD box provided by Charter. The cable guy told me it would be a waste of money to connect DVI from the cable box. Is he correct? Also, I am experiencing the same problem with the sound and picture being out of sync. Any answers to this problem

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
" recently purchased a Samsung DLP 56 inch and it is connected to a Motorola HD box provided by Charter. The cable guy told me it would be a waste of money to connect DVI from the cable box. Is he correct? Also, I am experiencing the same problem with the sound and picture being out of sync. Any answers to this problem"

If you connect through DVI your sync problems will disappear. Naturally this assumes that the cable company has downloaded firmware version 7.15 to your Motorola STB. If you have version 7.07 or lower DVI will not work, if you have version 7.10 it will work but will develope the infamous HDCP handshake problem which is corrected by 7.15.

If you do not know which firmware version they are using I can explain how you can find out yourself before you go to the expense of purchasing a DVI cable.

Brad Wease
Unregistered guest
I thank you for the information on what firmware version of the Motorola box I have. I have no idea which version I have and am not sure the "cable guy" knows. Please let me know how I can determine which version I have.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Instructions for checking firmware:

Turn off STB
Within 2 seconds-Depress "select" key
A new screen will appear
Scroll down to the "interactive status" selection d09
In this menu will be the firmware version- ie: 7.07 7.10 7.15

Unregistered guest
I recently purchased Philips 42FD9954 plasma. I am trying to connect it to DISH Network's 811 HD Receiver using the DVI-D input. The receiver is set to 1080i output for HD. The pictures flickers every few minutes. If I change the setup on receiver to 760P or 480P, everything works fine. I called Philips tech service and they are saying that to get 1060i input I have to get the input through component cable instead of DVI-D. This does not sound logical to me. What should i do to get 1060i input using DVI-D port?

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 192
Agog07:
Since there doesn't seem to be any bona fide TV engineers on this forum many readers of your question are reluctant to attempt an answer, including me. After all, this new video technology is just as new to everybody else as it is to you.

I know that sending a pure digital signal, via the DVI, into a TV should theoretically yield the best possible picture. This is because the DVI cable bypasses the necessary digital to analog and analog to digital conversions necessary on component lines.

But it just could be that your dogged insistance on using the 1080i output from your receiver may be misguided. Since the native resolution (defined here as the actual horizontal and vertical pixel count on a fixed-pixel TV) on your Philips is only 1024 X 1024, you are seriously short of the 1920 X 1080 native resolution required for full resolution in the 1080i HD format. There are 1920 X 1080 displays on the market, but they cost 3 or 4 times more than yours. And let me add that the vast majority of fixed-pixel HDTVs discussed on this forum fall short of the 1080i ideal, my own included.

My point is that, since your native resolution absolutely precludes realizing full 1080i resolution, why not use 720p instead? Your display is much better suited to display the max resolution of 720p, which is 1080 X 720. You are a bit short on the horizontal count (1080), but you've got the vertical covered (720). Plus with its progressive scan, 720p will have fewer motion artifacts than the interlaced 1080i. This is because progressive scans full frames twice as fast as interlace scan does. (Computer monitors have been non-interlaced for many years now.)

Moreover, any fixed pixel TV with less than ideal pixel count must interpolate, or scale, the incoming picture signal to fit that particular TV's native resolution. Unfortunately, not all scalers are equal, so yours may be better at scaling down to 720 rather than trying to scale an incoming (digital DVI) 1080i signal. So the Philips tech may just be right.

You didn't specify, but I'm betting that there was very little difference in picture quality between the 1080i and 720p settings on your DISH receiver. If so, why not use 720p and be happy? :-)

Anybody else care to weigh in here?

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 193
Correction:
Sorry, the 720p maximum native resolution requirement is 1280 X 720, not 1080 X 720 stated in my above post. This means that Agog is further away from the 720p horizontal ideal, of course, but his display is still closer than to the 1080i ideal. So this doesn't change my conclusion.

aumdb487
Unregistered guest
I'm having problem with my Motorola DCT620 I can't get the close caption to turn off. Does anyone have any advice?

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
"I'm having problem with my Motorola DCT620 I can't get the close caption to turn off. Does anyone have any advice?"

Using the remote turn of the Motorola STB, wait a few seconds then press the display button. A menu will pop up and you can scroll down using the arrow buttons on the remote to the CC label then toggle CC from on to off.

xvxvxvx

Joshua H
Unregistered guest
Just wanted to say Thanks to xvxvxvx, I had some how locked my widescreen into 4:3 mode, and this thread helped me.

so, thanks

Joshua H
Unregistered guest
New problem; When I hook the DVI from my Motorola DCT620 to my JVC i'ART I get a picture from my cable box when I power it (Motorola DCT620) up, but then It goes to black after about 7 seconds. Now within my moment of view, the color seems to be a bit on the red side.

Any clue as to why?

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Your JVC and your Moto STB may likely be having a "handshake" problem. Please tell me the exact model number of your JVC display and if you know which firmware version your STB is running. To check the firmware version do the following:

Using the remote turn of the Motorola STB, do not wait more than 2 seconds but quickly press the display button. A menu will pop up and you can scroll down using the arrow buttons on the remote to the "INTERFACE" item. Use the left or right arrow and you will access the item. It will say firmware version 7.xx if the xx is not .15 let me know because version 7.15 fixed the HDCP handskake issue.

The above menu has lots of interesting data about what is occurring in your STB. Do not be afraid to explore in this menu since none of these items are accessable by the end-user (that would be you). :-)

xvxvxvx

Username: The_know_it_all

Fort Madison, IA USA

Post Number: 2
Hey, tomorrow the direc tv guy comes to install my HD box to my 55 inch Mitsubishi Silver series and I need the best installation possible. My tv has two HD 480 1080 component input slots and one DTV YPbPr OR RGB plus H&V input, Which is best?

Username: The_know_it_all

Fort Madison, IA USA

I forgot to mention it's gonna be a Samsung model. I also need to know if it would be best to change my computer S-Cord from my new video card, right now i have it in the VCR S-Cord slot. Should I run it into the back of the HD box as and S-Cord input then to the empty component slot I'm already using one of them for my DVD but one is still open. Thanks MR.Engineer.

Unregistered guest
I need some help. I have a Toshiba Widescreen 30" with HDMI connection 30hf84 i believe. I have Comcast HD and a motorola DCT5100.

Its hooked DVI to HDMI cable. When watching HD it works great, when watching the analog channels it works great... but when it is switched to a regular Digital Channel, it works fine for a minute or 2 then goes to snow.

Comcast guy thought it was the box, so we swapped the box out once already. Any ideas or suggestions.

SNG 326
Unregistered guest
Just bought a Samsung LTP326 LCD HDTV. Comcast brought out their HD box and used component cables, and everything was OK.I installed DVI cable. When the TV is first turned on, and set to a HD station, a bar appears down the middle, with basically the same picture on either side. Can change channels, even to another HD channel, and bar goes away. Can then return to original station and its OK until TV turned off and on again. Anyone else had this problem? Any solution?

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Anyone else had this problem?
Yes. It is the HDCP handshake between the STB and your display.

Any solution?
Yes by turning on your TV first you will avoid this symptom. IT is a known occurrance with the Motorola STB's. Soon Comcast will send an update to your firmware in the STB and the problem will be fixed. Until then either soulution will work fine.

xvxvxvx

Username: Vod1

I have a RCA Scenium HDTV. I recently purchased a DISH receiver. I cannot get my Scenium HDTV to diplay 720p from my DISH receiver. It will display 480p and 1080i from the DISH receiver. When I switch the DISH receiver to 720p my Scenium HDTV goes black and says 'unusable signal.' How do I get my Scenium HDTV to display 720p?? The Scenium HDTV will display 720p for my off-air antenna programming only.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
How do I get my Scenium HDTV to display 720p??

If it is last years DLP model you cannot. RCA (Thompson) used their old CRT processing circuitry for their initial foray into DLP which only displayed 1080i not 720P in the HD domain.

The Scenium HDTV will display 720p for my off-air antenna programming only.

This is correct and the only way to display 720p on the prior years displays.

xvxvxvx

I just want to say "Thanks" to XVXVXVX for your your help and quick response. I thought I had researched the RCA Scenium enough before buying it. I thought it could do it all. Apparently it cannot. The saleman wasnt much help. I wish I had found this site before making my HDTV purchase!

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
dom956,

You are welcome. I just thought I would mention that the current years RCA DLP models will both accept and display a 720p digital input signal. I also own an RCA DLP from the 2004 production run (the 61" model) and I do not see any appreciable difference from an OTA 720p signal and thru my STB on the same channel but using the 1080i output. You should not let this factor diminish your viewing pleasure.

xvxvxvx

Unregistered guest
i have a hitachi 42"edt41 plasma tv. i have comcast cable with an motorola hdtv receiver w/7.15. comcast installer used component cables for hd hookup. later i got a dvi-d cable to try out. as soon as i installed this cable and compared the two inputs i noticed the hd channels were not "locked in" to FULL mode any longer. (they automatically default to full mode for hd signals)
i figured this unwelcome change would go away after removing dvi-d cable, but alas it didn't. does anyone know what i'm talking about?

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Keep in mind that not all shows transmitted on an HD channel are always transmitted in Hi-Def. It could be that you just caught a show or two being broadcast in SD. Try something on HD1, HD2, HDNET or Discovery HD which always braodcast in HD to be sure.

Also keep in mind that you do have an EDTV not an HDTV so your display still downconverts 720p or 1080i down to 480p.

xvxvxvx

madbird
Unregistered guest
thanks for response. for anyone interested: the motorola6200 cable box "real" menu can be accessed by turning the cable box off and leaving tv on, then press menu button. this might be old news to some but i can tell you it's more than the cable company knows.

I have a question for xvxvxvx. You said that you also own a RCA DLP Scenium. Mine is the HDLP50W151 model. The people who installed it told me I really needed to buy the extended warranty for the RCA DLP Scenium because the light engine was NOT very reliable and was real expensive to replace. Is the RCA DLP very reliable? I have owned mine for almost 4 months now and have had no problems with its performance but I am worried that I soon may have problems.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
The light engine in your RCA DLP is manufactured by Infocus, the premier light engine manufacturer in the world for the most expensive front projectors made. That said the bulb will likely burnout within 3 or four years which is over $200 to replace and DLP technology is still quite new. This means the peace of mind you get from the insurance policy (that is essentially what the Ext Svc Agreement is) may be worth it to you.

I have never before purchased an extended warranty on a piece of electronic gear in my life, I purchased one for my RCA DLP, you be the judge.

xvxvxvx

Post Number: 4
I reluctantly got the ext. warranty because of what the installers told me. Guess that was the right thing to do. They also said the DLP light engine costs around $2,500 to replace. Do you know if they were correct about that? If so, you could almost get a brand new DLP HDTV for that price. Im still glad I got it. The picture is incredible for true HD shows.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Here is the cost to replace your entire TV at TV Authority http://www.tvauthority.com/orderform.asp?dept=42&prod=1272

It is only $2145.00 so I can't imagine the light engine alone would be $2500.

xvxvxvx

Username: B0ngbong

NEW YORK, NEW YORK USA

I just have my hd converter installed from comcast.I notice that some of the hd and non hd channels specially local hd channels are not in full screen.Do guys have any idea why those channels are not in full screen.

Anonymous

I'm looking at getting the Phlips 42PF9956 - it has a native resolution of 1024x1024i and supports 480p and 1080i, but not 720p. Will I be missing out HD programming if I get a set without support for 720p? - Any advice on if I should get this will be very helpful.

thanks.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Will I be missing out HD programming if I get a set without support for 720p?

I believe it will accept 720p as an input but not display in 720p therefore the display will scale anything other than it's native display rate.

It will accept 480p, 576i/p, 720p, 1080iand 1152i so you are in fine shape wherever you may be.

xvxvxvx

Anonymous

I see what you are talking about. The specs do not indicate any support for 720p, which does seem strange since Fox (upcoming) and ABC are broadcasting that standard

If you are looking for a low cost true hi def plasma that will per the specs display all regular formats - look at SAMS CLUB web site. Walmart is bringing in the first wave of high quality Chinese made sets. Walmart future plans apparently call for a tidal wave of cheap but high quality hi def sets,usually via Chinese producers - to hit the market in the next yr or 2-soon in the regular stores i would guess

The model currently is the 42" Vizio Plasma HD-Ready TV with rock bottom pricing around 2400 and with ultra low cost extended warranties (assuming you want that). Way below BestBuy etc

Here are the specs

Panel: 42" Diagonal, 16:9 Aspect ratio
Resolution: 1024x768 pixels
Pixel(DOT)Pitch: HDTV (720P) Native
Signal Compatibility: 480i (SDTV), 480P (EDTV), 720P (HDTV), 1080i (HDTV)
Brightness: 1000 cd/m2 typical
Contrast: 3000:1 typical
Viewing Angle: >160 degrees (horizontal)/ >160 degrees (vertical)
Speakers: External 2x 15W
Voltage range: 100-240 Vac at 50/60 Hz
Power Consumption: 440W average

Klaus
Unregistered guest
Beware of cheap plasma panels! I had a new LG ED panel for 1.5 weeks and returned it due to poor PQ even though in the store it was equal to Hitachi and Panasonic. On moving objects (even faces in close up)motion was blurred. As a monitor for PC it would have been OK but rapid movement (even changing facial expressions)gave blurry picture due to poor refresh rate or pixel response time and these are not listed parameters. The Good plasma screens are expensive for a reason and cost cutting seems to be at the expense of picture processing capability.

Mikehansen
Unregistered guest
I have a Hiachi 60" Projection hd ready tv. My cable box is a Pioneer BD-V3500HD. When I look at the "Guide" while watching a HD channel- the Picture goes out- all I see is blurred colors across the screen. Audio is fine. I have tried DVI, and component hook ups - happens both ways. Have to unplug & reboot box to get to clear. ANYONE ??

dpaquet
Unregistered guest
I bought a Sony KD-34XBR960 widscreen HDTV. Connected it to my cable (non-digital) and am now receiving digital channels like 100.12 - CBS, and all the music channels. If the TV screen shows the signal as being 1080i, am I receiving HDTV broadcast? Have ordered HDTV service from Comcast, but not sure if I need it and also, don't want to lose the digital channels I now am getting for free. Thanks.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Many cable companies are now passing local HD signals "in the clear". If your display has a QAM tuner (which I believe it does) you will be able to display any HD signals your cable company offers for free. This of course will exclude ESPN, HBOHD and SHOTIMEHD as well as the Discovery-HD channel and HD1 or HD2.

xvxvxvx

dpaquet
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the response! Yes, my system has an integrated tuner.

Username: Willy212

I have a ws-65908 Mit big screen. I just got a Motorola hd reciever DCT6200 from Charter cable. When ever I am in 1080i mode I have a black box on the screen. It is about 13 square. When you turn on pip, the box goes away, since your pip box is displayed. You shut off the pip and the back box is there. Any help? My close caption is off. Could there be some kind of a conflict between the box and tv. Thanks

Melanzane
Unregistered guest
I have a Samsung HLN43 (DLP). Just got Comcast Cable with HD, and have Motorola converter.

When I watch HD shows, the picture is perfect, no problems. When I watch non-HD (also through my Comcast Motorola converter) -- I assume they are analog signals, the picture goes completely bad --the program splits into 2 or 3 little boxes which are completely fuzzy and nonwatchable...then after about 30 seconds it displays "Unsupported Mode".

The same thing happens whether the TV input is hooked up with component cables to 1080, 720 or 480.

My question is, how can I watch non-HD channels with my Comcast box?

Is it possible a DVI cable might solve this particular issue?

Sanders
Unregistered guest
I am using the Motorola 6200 with component connection to the Infocus 4805 FP. I have no problem with setting 16x9 and using 480i, 480p or 720p. the 720 image is great. However, when trying to change to 1080i, I get no image, just wild colors and the box window flashes back and forth from 80 to 1080i.

Thanks for any advice!

Bronze Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 35
I'd suggest reading your manuals. It's very probable that either your Motorola or TV are not capable of 1080.

There are several HDTvs on the market that use 720 as their native resolution.

Sanders
Unregistered guest
Thanks, Paul. Both the Comcast box and the Infocus handle 720p and 1080i. The Infocus is an ED projector that downconverts both signals to 480p. It does the former really well and produces a great image, nearly as good as my Toshiba HD RP. I am thinking 1080i may be available only on the DVI connection. I will try that,

I appreciate this forum and will join.

Sanders
Unregistered guest
An update-the Infocus accepted 1080i with the Comcast DVI connection. I then shifted back to component and pushed the auto image button and it accepted 1080i in that mode. The image is really good using both component and DVI with both 1080i and 720p.

ColumbusScott
Unregistered guest
Got an issue with hdcp, I think. Here's the story:

My time warner HD set top box (pioneer) has never worked with my tv when connected via dvi. I get a non-compliant hdcp message on the screen. I don't know if the tv or the box is providing the message. I also tried to hook up an OTA receiver (Samsung) using dvi. I use the OTA box to get the Sinclair channels that TW can't broadcast in HD. No resolution over 480p will work with dvi. 480p works fine. With component, it works up to 1080i. My tv is a Philips 55pp9502 and is hdcp compliant (allegedly).

Any ideas?

madmarty
Unregistered guest
My 811 receiver says it "up-converts" the sd signal.
Does anyone know if this really works. Can a receiver take a standard resolution and make it look like high definition? What kind of wizardy is this?

Unregistered guest
I have a problem, in the morning of today we had a power outage. When the power was restored the settings of my cable box were not the same and while trying to rest it I ended up having a red lock key symbol appear on my TV screen, I cant see anything all I can hear is the sound of all channels. The Cable box is of General Instrument and Celera TV. I feel I might have accidently hit the parental locks.I called up the Aldelphia guys and they say I should have a different remote control..Can anyone pls help

AMGC32
Unregistered guest
I have recently purchased a Samsung DLP tv model number HLP5063W and I have connected a Motorola DCT6200 HD receiver. WHen I watch HD channels the picture is great but some channels have the black sides on the left and the right and when I watch the regular channels the reception is blurry. Any suggestions?

Mark Hende
Unregistered guest
Is anyone experiencing problems with Samsung LT-P326 32 in. I get a ghost unstable image the picture quality isn't upto the standard I beleive it's meant to be. Is anyone experiencing similar probs and if so how did you resolve this?

Rob in Orlando
Unregistered guest
Mark,

I have the Sammy 326 as well. How long have you had the TV? What and how are you connecting? Can you better describe the problems you are having?

i workin cable
Unregistered guest
damn lots of poeple - donaldkeyes john s is correct the connections is there but compemts inside were not installed put there for future use - newer motor dvi is active depending on cable co and it has to be activated but cable co if they can

iworkincable
Unregistered guest
for poeple with the samsung t.v.s yes i have seen if u use the audio output of the t.v itself to uplink an amplfier - audio does sometimes to be out of snyc but straight audio is in sync - i have seen using the fiber output of hd box does correct

iworkincable
Unregistered guest
amgc32 if the networks are broadcasting in 4:3 hd thats why u get the black bars u can stretch analog and digital but most won't stretch hd u can't fix until they decide on which format to got with 480/720/1080

iworkincable
Unregistered guest
mark if your watching analog cable if all things are correct - yes your picture will look like well bad - typically depending - channels that have 3 digits are digital 2 digits are analog - samsungs have the worst analog picture - sorry -

LDion
Unregistered guest
I am a Comcast HD customer with a Motorola DCT6200. I have a Toshiba 4:3 HDTV capable of 1080i and 480p. I configure the DCT6200 to 4:3 Letterbox format and selected 1080i. The picture comes up ... but with black bars on both sides (not top and bottom like you'd expect with letterbox format). Then, I selected 480p. The HD picture comes up in letterbox correctly. But, for local station HD channels there is a 2-3 pixel bar at the top that just flickers. This flickering doesn't happen with HD cable networks such as Discovery HD. I've called and complained to Comcast ... a total waste of time ... they're less than useless. Motorola won't even bother to respond. I'd be happy with 1080i in letterbox format or 480p without the flicker. Any advice?

Peas
Unregistered guest
Use component cables instead of a DVI or HDMI cable, all will be well in Kansas.

Peas

Username: Muskrat62

I have an Advent 27" 1080i HDTV with the Motorola DCT6200 and am a Comcast customer as well. I need the close caption in the bedroom at night so my wife can sleep, but CC either does not appear or appears in italicized tiny letters when the TV is set on the HDTV component mode via the monster cables (five wire connection). When in component mode, if the cc appears it is only on the Hidef channels and not on the regular channels. The regular TV coax input displays the CC just fine, but the picture quality is worse. I had a comcast tech in the house, but he couldn't figure out why the CC worked fine in TV mode and went off in component mode, even on the non Hidef channels. Also, the aspect resolution does not automatically adjust from 4:3 to 16:9 in HDTV mode either, but it does in TV mode. Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Jim in KC

Anonymous

I was wondering if anyone can explain to me the science behind CRT's inability to natively display Progressive siginal. After much research I have gained the understanding that the inherent nature of the CRT's technology prevents it from displaying a true progressive picture. But I do not fully understand the details of why. can anyone help??

fx
Unregistered guest
There is no such techincal limitation. The limitation is cost.

xvxvxvx

rizo_nyc
Unregistered guest
For Pioneer stb, the DVI doesn't work, u get a "Your device does not support HDCP", what it is is that TWC NY does not use the DVI on this unit.

You need to get it replaced with either the 8300 (DVR) or Scientific Atlanta 3250.

After I replaced it, it worked, but now I'm getting lots of these lines or bands on the TV. So I just abanoned the whole DVI thing, and just went with component output.

I actually don't see any difference between DVI and compononent.

Milt
Unregistered guest
Hello,
I have a Mitsubishi 48" projection HD ready TV and also subscibe to COMCAST and have my MOTOROLA 6412 DVR connected DVI to HDMI in back of TV.
My problem is that, when I turn on the TV, a message "NO SIGNAL DETECTED. TV WILL POWER OFF IN 1 MINUTE". There is both VIDEO and AUDIO and picture is clear and AUDIO is clear. The message disappears after a minute.

I tried turning the TV on first, then the DVR, then DVR on first then TV, then both at the same time... In all cases the message is displayed.

Is this a HDMI handshake issue?

Thanks,
Milt

Username: Toolmaker

Providence, RI

For those of you with Samsung DLP's and Motorola STB's. I have a Samsung DLP HL-R4266W and a Motorola DCT6412 set-top box for HD broadcast.

I initially had PQ problems, and found these settings and cables to work the best for me.

The Motorola STB settings:

TV TYPE: 16:9
HDMI/YPbPr OUTPUT: 1080i
4:3 OVERRIDE: 480i

The Samsung DLP does a much better job of converting and scaling, over the STB.

For HD Channels, both the HDMI and Component connections looked the same. For that reason, I am using one of my DLP's Component connections with my STB, and the DLP's HDMI connection with my up-converting Panasonic S97S DVD player which comes with its own HDMI cable.

For Non-HD channels, they look good over the Component connection, but better when using a S-Video Connection from the STB to the DLP TV.

Username: Thatgermanguy

Houston, TX Harris

Hello,
I have a mitsubishi HD 1080, two years old.When I push the power button I hear a clicking sound, the green light on the panel turns on and after two seckonds turns off again with a clicking sound.-No picture - no sound
Please help, Thank you
Marc

Anonymous

I recently purchase a Samsung 53" HDTV and they did'nt give the owners manuel, so the problem that I'm having is setting up my picture in picture.

Bronze Member
Username: Toolmaker

Providence, RI

Post Number: 23
Go to Samsung.com and download the manual!

Unregistered guest
I purchased a Panasonic PT-43LC14 TV(HD Ready) and a Toshiba RD-XS32SU DVD Player connected via component cables. I am trying watch DVDs with 720p, but it is always 420p. I am really a rookie and not familiar with the HD concept so I would appreciate any help.
Thanks

Anonymous

Dvd is 480i. Your player or tv will scale and deinterlace to tv's resolution. HD dvd coming out in the spring.

Username: Yenery

Is there no way to watch DVDs with 720p when both the DVD Player and the TV is supporting that?

fx
Unregistered guest
Yener,

Are you stating that you have an upconverting DVD player? If so it will only upconvert to 720p via the component outputs not thru either a DVI or HDMI connection, they will output only 480i or 480p. If you are using component cables then be sure you have the internal setting of your DVD player set to output 720p.

xvxvxvx

Anonymous

AFAIK, the only player allowing upconvert thru component is Zenith. Others must use DVI or HDMI.

Surfin' USA
Unregistered guest
YY,
Dude, don't sweat it. Do like above poster said and use component cables. Nothing else, nada, you are done. Don't worry what the screen says. Your DVDs and recorded shows are rezzed up to fit 720p by the tv. All you need worry about is what brand of beer to drink while watching your cool digital video recorder!!!!

fx
Unregistered guest
When I wrote:

"Are you stating that you have an upconverting DVD player? If so it will only upconvert to 720p via the component outputs not thru either a DVI or HDMI connection, they will output only 480i or 480p. If you are using component cables then be sure you have the internal setting of your DVD player set to output 720p."

I meant to write the exact opposite, thanks for the correction ANON. In other words the DVD player only upconverts via a safe digital domain (DVI or HDMI) not via a copyable analog signal like I mistakenly wrote.

Surfin is pretty much correct as well, just let your Display do the conversion. This does depend on whcih device has the better internal scaler. Ocassionally the upconverting DVD player's scaler is better than the one in your display. In that case you should use a digital connection and let the DVD player scale to the native resoultion of your display. Most people cannot tell the difference but YMMV (your mileage may vary).

xvxvxvx

Unregistered guest
Hi,
i have samsung HLR5061 and a hi def cable box DCT6412,i am not getting any channels using HDMI out from cable box to TV HDMI in , but if i use RGB color stream out put i get all chanels very clear ,and i am not getting non hi def channels very clear . 1. Now my question is how to get hi def channels using HDMI cable. 2.how to get the best picture quality of non hi def channels?

Username: Percyklein

Alexandria, VA USA

I have a Samsung LTN325W and receive Cox Cable. I understand that the Samsung converts all HDTV signals to its "native" 720 resolution (or 720p, I think). Cox converts all HDTV signals to 1080i and transmits them that way. Are these two things compatible? That is, if I get Cox's
HDTV service, will I receive and be able to view HDTV in the extraordinarily sharp manner I keep hearing is possible with HDTV?

Username: Greglw

I have a Mitsubishi WS65807 HD ready TV. I recently purchased a dish 921 HD receiver. When I hook it up using the PrPbY cables and try to set it on 1080i, I get a scrambled picture that is green. I can tell there is a picture and the sound is good, but it won't clear. The receiver works fine on input A without HD. Any help?

RJM
Unregistered guest
I am using the Pioneer 3150 HD stb provided by Time warner Cable. Like some other users here with the same box i have, I also have experienced the "deice does not support HDCP" message. Does anyone know if TW pans to upgrade the firmware for this box in the near future to get DVI to work? It doesn't make sense to not have DVI enable on this box but then to have it enabled using the 8300 or SA3250 (I think that the #). I think TW does this on purpose to get customers to upgrade to the dvr boxes and get additional $8 tacked on to the bill.

RJM
Unregistered guest
I am using the Pioneer 3150 HD stb provided by Time warner Cable. Like some other users here with the same box I have, I also have experienced the "device does not support HDCP" message. Does anyone know if TW pans to upgrade the firmware for this box in the near future to get DVI to work? It doesn't make sense to not have DVI enable on this box but then to have it enabled using the 8300 or SA3250 (I think that the #). I think TW does this on purpose to get customers to upgrade to the dvr boxes and get additional $8 tacked on to the bill.

Joe Calgarian
Unregistered guest
I just bought a Sony KD34XS955 TV and have it hooked up to Shaw's HDTV terminal (Motorola 6200). DVD's look amazing (although why aren't more made in a 1.85 ratio? 2.35 is annoying! I bought a widescreen TV to get rid of the friggin black bars!) HD looks amazing, and regular channels, well are merely OK.

My question though, on the HD channels that broadcast in 1080 (TSN, PBS etc.) I get full screen. But on the channels that broadcast in 720 (ABC, Fox etc.) I get bars on the sides.

My understanding is my system should automatically upconvert 720 to 1080. Why isn't this happening?

My TV is connected to the Moto box via Component cables (would a DVI to HDMI make a difference?)

Thx

Jerry JB
Unregistered guest
I have a similar question to Joe Calagarian's. I just bought a hdtv that only supports 1080i, for hd brodcasts. I haven't recieved the t.v. yet, it's being delivered ten days after this post. What will happen if the hd program is in 720p, and my tv doesn't support 720p? will I be able to view that program at all? Will it upconvert it to 1080i? This really concerns me, any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks to anyone who responds!

Bronze Member
Username: Nr4p

Post Number: 15
To Joe's question, just because a channel is in 720p, does not mean the program was widescreen. Normally HD programs are major sporting events and night time prime time. For example, local news or game shows or soap operas are in SD, not HD. But they are "overlayed" on a 720p or 1080i signal so you have the side bars. They are 4:3 programs not 16:9 programs.

A good way to check, watch ESPNHD or ESPN2HD. If its in real HD, you will see widescreen. If not, they put the HD side bars in meaning its not an HD original show. Still 720p but not HD.

To Jerry's question, your 1080i TV should handle the 720p just fine. It's spec's should show compatibility with 720p as with other formats.

Jerry JB
Unregistered guest
To Steve: Thanks for the response. However, the specs just say that it supports 480i/480P (it has a line doubler) and 1080i. And that's it. As far as I know, it isn't compatible with 720p. But I get it home on Jan 15/06, so I guess I'll find out soon enough. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

fx
Unregistered guest
Jerry JB,

Give us the make and model number of your TV and I can tell you for sure.

xvxvxvx

Unregistered guest
I have a samsung 1080i HDTV monitor purchsed 2 years back. For last 6 months I get distorted picture. Has anyone experienced that as well. Any solutions?

kbtyger1
Unregistered guest
what is the difference between the 1080i or 4720 p and so on--which is better--i have purchased a toshiba hd tv and just got the box from time warner--hd channels seem to be working just wondered if i could tweek it. also if you leave the component or hd cables hooked up for non hd channels signal and pic. is crappy--if you hook the reg ant. input in for reg channels and use it--the pic is much better--then switch back to colorstream in put for hd!

kbtyger1
Unregistered guest
sorry meant 480p-720p not 4720!!

Bronze Member
Username: D_singh

Post Number: 83
kbtyger1, obviously you haven't been reading the posts in this forum. Read ALL of the ones pertaining to 1080i vs 720p vs 480p and component vs hdmi vs dvi and you will get a picture.

It isn't worth repeating what has been said over and over and over and over again.

Roymuldoon4124
Unregistered guest
WEIRD!!!! I hope someone can help me. I have a Vizio 32" LCD HDTV and a digital STB from Cox communications. Everything works fine except that when I first turn on the TV & the STB, within 10 minutes the picture goes blank. The audio is still working, but no picture. I have to turn the TV off and back on to restore the video. It then goes blank again within the next 5 minutes or so, and then a third time within a minute of turning the TV off an back on. I am using componet video cables, I have tried turning the STB on first, and the TV on first, with no change. After the video goes blank and I turn the TV off and back on 3 or 4 times, it WORKS FINE! I don't have anymore problems until I turn off the TV and STB - then I have to go thru the same routine all over again. WEIRD!!!! Any suggestions?

petro nofri
Unregistered guest
i have a jvc gm-p421 the screen lately has been turning green with the lost of picture, however the audio is still available. after turning off for a while the normal screen will return. can any one offer some great advice on where to start

Username: Bill_k

Madison, WI

Post Number: 5
I have a problem similar to serpentwyne who says: "problem is picture in HD format postage stamp size, picture in non-hd format 20" portable tv size. I have spent three weeks tring to get my HDTV to work with my HDTV Cable box". I could have written that. In my situation I have a Phillips 17" HDTV connected to Charter HD cable. When in the Phillips HD mode HD pictures do not fill the screen. There is a black border on all four sides. I've been told there is some problem displaying the 1080i signal. Any thoughts anyone?

Username: Jayhawkeye2

Problem:

When I ran the component out from the cable box to my receiver, then my tv, the picture was "hot" and the colors were oversaturated and washed out. The DVD player component video out to receiver then to tv was fine The s-video from the cable box to the receiver to the tv was also fine

Here are my components:

television: Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK
cable box: Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300hd
receiver: Yamaha htr-5490
DVD Player: Sony DVD Player - SNY-DVPNS50P/B

Solution Attempt:
I ran the cable box to the other component video input on the recevier (where the dvd player was) and it was still too hot

Solution:
I ran the component video directly from the cable box to the TV, and it was perfect.

Therefore, since I only have one component video in, I am going to run my dvd to the tv via DVI.

Roman Basi
Unregistered guest
I just bought the JVC HD-ILA 56 inch. I tried to hook up HDMI/DVI cable and the audio cables as well and the sound sort of "clicks" every few seconds. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening and what can I do?

Username: Djterraryzin336

I have a magnavox model # 51mp392h. It is a progressive scan hdtv monitor with 1080i capability. Unfortunately, the input for the 1080i has the normal 5 wire HD inputs with 2 additional that read "H" and "V" with the word "SYNC" in the middle of the inputs. I was guessing vertical and horizontal and sync meaning it snyncronizes both. The problem I have is no HD wire packages I've seen have this 7 wire version nor does anything I own like a DVD HD player or even the XBOX HD wire upgrade you can purchase have it either. When I hook the XBOX to the 1080i input using the XBOX HD wires, obviously leaving the H and V empty, the screen flutters and scrolls a bit sort of like an old TV set thats vertical hold is not adjusted correctly. What am I doing wrong and/or what can I do to utilize my TV's full potential?

Username: Djterraryzin336

Oh and yes I have the XBOX set on 1080i and all wires are in the right place. They are brand new as well. When I hook the XBOX to a plain CV Input it works fine but I know its not showing it in 1080i (yes i know XBOX only plays in 480) but i just cant understand why it doesnt work in the 1080i input. The XBOX would atleast play the picture in 480 while hooked to the 1080i input regardless i would think.

many_a_name
Unregistered guest
i put on the child parental controls for my young daughter, but i have a problem i forgot the password and now i am stuck watching only g settings. how do i override this system on my Phillips Direct DVR?

many_a_name
Unregistered guest
i put on the child parental controls for my young daughter, but i have a problem i forgot the password and now i am stuck watching only g settings. how do i override this system on my Phillips Direct DVR?

Username: Young7yang

i am from thailand and recently bought a SP43T8HL samsung hdtv for 1080i and it does not work at all..... 480i works 480p works and 575i and 575p work... but when i tried to play my ps2 and xbox 360 in 1080i mode i just got a green screen of death..... i tried everything...... and yes it is using componant cables..... how do i fix this problem do i have to go into the service menu and change some settings and if so how do i get into the service menu????????????????????????

Username: Young7yang

if you have an answer email me at young7yang@yahoo.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us