I got it correct now...looking to buy a PT-44LCX65

Anonymous

I''m looking to buy a Panasonic 44 inch rear projection HDTV and I'm a little concerned about the bulb life. Is this a problem in all rear projection TV's or specifically this model?

To Those that say
Unregistered guest
You need to check out the thread about LAMP life on the Panasonic's and the poor CS.

I think this is going to a problem on ALL on these types of sets until the lamps are standardized and the mfg's start rating the lamps by the "true" projected lifespan.

The way they currently rate lamps is by going by what 50% of the batch wil obtain. (Instead of say 95 to 95 % of what the batch will run)

To me rating a lamp at say 10,000 hours, and most people getting 1,000 to even 3,000 hours is very dishonest. http://www.cherrywood-av.co.uk/guides/Lamps.pdf

??????
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/159866.html

Silver Member
Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 627
>>>>>>I'm a little concerned about the bulb life. Is this a problem in all rear projection TV's or specifically this model?<<<<<<<<<

You should be concerned and yes if you read these forums you will see for yourself many if not all owners of these sets are prematurely in the dark sometimes for weeks waiting for replacement lamps.

Save your money...or buy an LCD or Plasma if you must have an HD large screen TV.

Buy it at Costco. Lifetime warranty on everything they sell (except computers). No EWs.

Looking for info
Unregistered guest
So a lamp burns out right after the warranty, and a plasma Tv needs a new screen.

How much is each one going to cost to fix?

What is the name of your shop?

Silver Member

Post Number: 707
A plasma TV need a new scree becasue it breaks becasue of some idiot's mistake. It does not burn out,,
Plasma "lamp: life = 60,000 hours

If it gets only 10,000 of those hours (which is highly unlikely. Thats 12 hour a day TV watchoing for 6.5 years....

Don't even compare the cost of owner ship betweem Lamp based TVs and Plasma.

Silver Member

Post Number: 723
A RPTV LAMP gets a minimum of 2160 hours as actually warrented by the manufacturers. 90 Days and its' your proble,. Thats less then two years at only 4 hours a day ontime.

IN 5 years you would have spent another $1000 on you TV minumum IF you had no other issues like a color engine issue for another $1200 and this is all AFTER the EW expires.....comfortng aint it?

The TV will become disposable after 3 years of EW coverage because you mayl be able to replace it for the same coin or a little more. NO I think the plasma offers a longer comfort level for a 50" TV

Username: Premiersystems

Post Number: 2
wow, your math is way off.
if your plasma tv only gets 10,000 hours thats not 12 hours a day for 6.5 years. thats 12 hours a day for under 2.5 years. 12 (hours) * 365 (days in a year) * 2.5 (nuber of years) = 10,950 (hours used)

but it is realy unlikley for your plasma to last only 10k hours, but its just as unlikley for your dlp tv to last 2160 hours, the posts on here about ppls units breaking or going out fast are the rare minority not the majority. The majority are at home watching their tv's and not posting on a site.

Bulbls are not too expensive rite now, and are coming down. if the bulb is costing you $300, using toms 2160 hour @ 4 hours a day thing, in 5 years its only costing you between $600 - $750 not $1,000 anyway. Thats still a lot though, but better than halving to replace a whole plasma tv because a strip of cells died and that does happen.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us