Looking to buy a PT-44LCX65 and I'm concerned about bulb life

Anonymous

I''m looking to buy a Panasonic 44 inch rear projection HDTV and I'm a little concerned about the bulb life. Is this a problem in all rear projection TV's or specifically this model?

Silver Member
Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 374
Read read read.......This is a problem with all DLP and RPLCD technology. The TV that keeps on taking.

Some are in denial. Many fan-boys don't dare agree or post their experience. Misery loves company ya know.

Bronze Member
Username: Dlp4me

Post Number: 24
Not true with DLP!
I'm coming up on three years.

To the people that say
Unregistered guest
Newsflash: The Mfg's have announced that ANYONE contacting them will receive @ no charge replacement LAMPS for a period of 5 YEARS.

No more LAMPS that cost $200 - $250+/-

To Anonymous,

You might want to read thru THIS thread: https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/124835.html

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
Real funny, tom!

I agree...Pani has some lamp issues with those models.
Sad....
You shouldn't throw DLP in the mix like you have.
That just makes you a bullshiter!
I'm sure you don't want to take away from your SED message.

Silver Member

Post Number: 386
NO one proves my point more then you......Your name says it all.

If you are on the fence with this technology do not read the drivel of those who use DLP in their names or utter the I Love DLP" line.
They are fan boys who do not have your best interests first. They are seduced by a cruel mistress watching HD TV shows, not for the content but for the PQ......Swamp Buggy Racing in glorious HD....NOw there is some compelling content...LOL

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
Nope!

HDNet

Bikini Destinations
Hollywood Red Carpet
Hawaiian Tropic Contests
Best Beaches-Rio
Guys Night Out
Doobie Brothers Live at the Wolftrap
Alison Krauss and Union Station

just to name a few....

Enjoy your Swamp Buggy show there bullshiter?

If you are on the fence with this technology do not read the drivel of any bullshiter DLP basher that has never owned one. You can't read the posts of a few and think you're a by god expert.

Silver Member

Post Number: 399
you call that compelling Television?

If I live at the beach. I see the babes in suits all the time in LIVING color. Doobie Brothers? really They still around? See what I men nothing relavant. Naked women and oldies bands. Not exactly going to get the mainstream interested with your example of "compelling" HD content....Try gain. Thank You next LOL

Yes Swamp Buggy racing was on the sets at Best Buy. ESPN 2HD. Quite funny .....and telling.

NO don't read my posts as I never had one nor will I ever have one. read those who do adn are now whinning about bulb costs, eye strain, latency issues, audio sync issues,

If you are on the fence......PLEASE do not act on my opinion alone. Form your own, I already have formed mine based on what I have read here and other forums and share it freely like all the hyping fanatics who are obvious by their names. Yesh those guys are really the ones to listen to LOL. Lemmings!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 63
Uhhh...yes I do!
Lots of good HD content, even if it doesn't suite you.
No need to try again. You have concreted your opinion.
Some like you will stick with their same old.
That's ok!

If you are on the fence......PLEASE do not act on bong's opinion alone. Form your own, I already have formed mine based on what I have experienced and share it freely, not unlike the bullshiting fanatic tom bong. Yes, that lone guy is really the one to listen to LOL.
Regards!

Silver Member

Post Number: 413
And there is your reason to buy an HD TV.

For the types of content you prefer there is 100%.

For moat other people there simply is not a real compelling reason to buy an HD set never mind which technology. Oogling half naked women is still relavant and acceptable in 4:3 Standard TV.

If people felt they were indeed missing something more then 15% or so of the American public would be onboard the HD buss by now. Seems the public just does not care about HDTV especially at the cost both in price and PQ loss of SDTV.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 69
I respectfully disagree.
A better picture is a better picture, regardless.
SDTV is going away very quickly.
America will be forced into digital. It's their choice if they want to dumb it down to low res VHF to accommadate their ancient set.

BTY Watching beautiful women in tropical settings in 16:9 HD is nothing less than fascinating and compelling on a DLP.

Silver Member

Post Number: 414
Ahh but digital as you describe it is only the broadcast medium. There is no guarentee nor government mandate the the content being broadcast digitally is of any specific resolution. It could be a low data rate MPEG being broadcast digitally.

Standard TV on Sat is a great example of this. It is ALL digital but standard Tv does not look any better. Instead of analog "noise" you get digital "noise."

I overheard and corrected a Best Buy sales dweeb telling an older couple they need buy an HD TV now becasue soon the govenment will force all stations to broadcast in HD. Like I have said regarding standard lo rez 4:3 TV over digital airwaves...a polished turd is still a turd.

Only those who are OTA will be affected by the govenment mandate. All others will have what they have now and can only hope content makers make the content in HD.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 70
Saw you say this bullshit several times.
Look...is the glass half empty or half full?

Content is only as good as it's recorded. If it's poorly recorded, no medium is going to clean it up. Fine!

Now...enter digital enhanced definition broadcasting with twice the lines of resolution. Not HD all the time, but very nicely detailed. It makes excellent content look excellent and forces less than good quality content providers to consider a better standard than what they have been getting away with. It also means that cable and sat operators can place the bit stream on any channel they wish without processing.

Since I read somewhere that you have cable it's no wonder you are less impressed with programming content quality. Cable signal is very trashy, especially SD. What they call digital is processed analog sent digitally to the neighborhood or STB, then converted back to analog for the set. Cable means lots of processing. Sat too for that matter! Compression artifact and processing is in practice, period.

So, now what? Where's the good quality signal?
Digital is the only thing that comes close. The best is off-air, straight from the broadcasters. It's pure clean uncompressed and unprocessed digital live camera or 35MM VTR digital signal. Looks fabulous too. Some converted material, but overall, very pleasing to the eye. Cable companies can pass this pure stream without processing. Sat too if they ever get around to it. I here DTV will activate 12 cities this Dec. with mpeg4 and digital converters for free. First, just major networks, then lots of digital channels.

The digital medium of transport will ultimately force better content and eliminate processing as we know it. The only "turds" will be the shoddy content providers who won't get away with it for long. New standards of recording will be implimented and producers will have to meet those standards to have their content aired.

True HD at 720P and 1080I is very clean and very nice. Absolutely stunning on my DLP. Full 16:9 formats are beautiful. Commercial ads are driving the HD standard. The ads will be in HD and they will demand the programs they sponsor be in HD as well. It's already happening. There's really no stopping it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 416
>>digital enhanced definition broadcasting<<

Yes but low rez content over that digital signal wiill still look like crap. Its all about the content. You can broadcast capabilities all day but if the content does not take advatage of those capabilities you have a polished turd. There is no gov mandate for 480P content only broadcast capability.

I have cable becasue I do not want to spend $900 for a DVR/HD box that will be outdated in a year or two when for for $10 a month I can have a great DVR/HD solution from TW and get it upgraded as needed. STD cable is trashy on an HD TV like my Plasma. Not on my 480i RPToshiba though. Its "normal." there. Digital cable looks good enough. I am not the kind of guy who will split hairs and search for slight color issues and dead pixels. I watch Tv for the content. The PQ should not draw attention to itself much like the music in a movie. Some guys here are so awed by the PQ they forget what they were watching..or worse watch shows they would nomally have no interest in because of the PQ alone. I think they shold stare out a real window or go for a walk on the beach or in the woods. LOL

Compression is the name of the game in all media As resolutions increase bandwidth decreases and compression increases. Thats why I have no faith in 1080P TVs and broadcasts. The compression may render it moot due to the lack of bandwidth.

Its actually the slow to the draw content providers I am waiting for. Like the Weather Channel LOL. and a lot of other channels I watch now and then. I am mostly a DVD type. I watch more movies then TV shows by far. 480P looks great to me. Might even look better if it did not have to be upconverted and/or scaled.

The only problem with promoting HD TV on television is the picture will only be as good as your current TV. Its a total waste of time. I always though Television commercials for televisions were kind of dumb.

Yes true HD is nice on my Plasma as well. Unfortunately there is not alot of compelling content for me. A show like Letterman or Leno in HD is no big deal over 480i. Not much important content specific "detail" being missed in 480i.
Its great on discovery and some sports but even Nascar although brodcast digitally is still low rez...yet Swamp Buggy races is in HD.....Go figure. Thats my issue with content. Its going to be a few years before the hardware, broadcasters and content producers meld into a truly useable and uniform technology.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 73
Nascar is broadcasted in HD, not ED.
If you think it's low res, then it's your set.
Looks absolutely stunning on my 50" DLP.
The Patriots game has incredible detail tonight.
It's full 16:9 HD on ABC and stunning.
That's content. I'm bringing it in off-air.

Otherwise, we're saying the same thing.
Excellent quality content is coming faster than a few years, though.

To those that say
Unregistered guest
You guys have too much times on your hands.

When I buy a TV, I expect at least 5 years of trouble free service from it.

I've already had to replace the LAMP on my set which does not give me alot of LONG term faith in the product.

I feel the mfg's should either REDUCE the price of the LAMPS down to about $40... (From the current price of $199 to $270+/-)

OR either "warranty" the LAMPS for a period of say 5 YEARS from date of purchase.

You and I both know that it doesn't cost that much to mfg those LAMPS. At $40 retail, Or even warranting the LAMPS for 5 years they should be able to still make a profit...

Are the mfg's in the business of sellling LAMPS, or TV's? (Yes I know they make a profit on each, but $199 to $270 is a rip-off.)

If they are advertising a LAMP has a lifespan of say 6,000 hours... they should warranty it for that many hours. PERIOD.

It wouldn't be too hard to build in a hour meter, and if the LAMP fails before the rated time it is replaced. (They could use the power led to flash a code that gives the hours used.)

If the average user ran the set 3 hours a day, that would be 2,000 days.../ 365 days per year = 5.479 years.
4 hours per day would be 4.109 years.

I wonder why they only warranty the LAMPS for 1 year?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 74
"You guys have too much times on your hands"

Yet, here you are...for entertainment or informational purposes.

I asked you for your make and model twice before.
I'm not real sure why you refuse to cough it up.

Let's take your first statement. You want 5 years of trouble free service like your old CRT gave you. Well, it's not your old CRT. It's a lamp projector. That's what you bought. A lamp projector will require, you guessed it, lamps.
If you didn't know that going in, shame on you. You failed to do your homework. People with front lamp projectors have to lamp up every 1200 hours or so. (different from model to model) They require higher lumen lamps that don't last near as long. I wouldn't have one, but my brother in-law loves his 102 inch screen. He knew what he was getting into and bought a case of lamps.

Yours went out in the first year? Or what? There is an hour meter in the service menu of most every RPTV brand. You need your service menu remote code to access it.

Shipping can damage a lamp and shorten it's life. Heat is the biggest life killer. These UHP Mercury Gas Arc lamps have fans that must run continually. The fan runs for a minute or so upon power down to properly cool the lamp. A power outage while the set is on can greatly reduce lamp life. People use an uninterrupted power supply in line to prevent this. You don't need a big one. A Belkin 500 for around $75 will allow you to shut off the set and let the fan do it's job during a power outage.

No manufacturer warranties their tv's beyond a year. Why would they warranty the lamp beyond that?

Listen to yourself, " "warranty" the LAMPS for a period of say 5 YEARS from date of purchase".
How totally absurd. It's a freak'n light bulb. If you want an old CRT set, go buy one. These are "Lamp Projectors"! A manufacturer isn't going to cover lamps until consumers think the product matches CRT in life expectancy. Now that said, some after market extended warranties, like Best Buy's, does cover lamps. Most underwriters have seperate lamp warranties, though. It's considered a consumable.

Lamp prices will drop, eventually. They will be available in walk-in stores such as BB, CC, Fryes, and others. Right now, each lamp for each brand and model is considered "propriatary" do to market competition of new technology. This will pass with time and we will be flooded with aftermarket lamps for all brands.

Here is a good link about lamps.

http://www.cherrywood-av.co.uk/guides/Lamps.pdf

To Those that say
Unregistered guest
DLP4me!,

I know all the above...

Why should the mfg warranty the LAMP for the rated time?

Because they are advertising it, Or stating /rating it to have a certain lifespan.

6,000 hours to me, means 6,000 hours. MTBF
10,000 hours means 10,000 hours MTBF

Why would they warranty the LAMP past that very "liberal" (ha-ha) 1 year warranty on an item costing many thousands of dollars?.. SIMPLE.. the LAMP is rated for a certain number of hours, persons make a buying decision based upon that, so they should honor that.

Seeing how if you ran the set for 40 hours a week, for a year (minus two weeks for vacation)... that would only be 2,000 hours... You'd have to run the set three 8 hour shifts per day to reach 6,000 hours in that same time span. The only TV's that would get that much run time are TV's used in a bar, or commercial setting... Which BTW invalidates most warranties... or downgrades them to 90 days.

Of course you probably don't agree that something that has a certain rating should last a specified amount of time, so I regret to inform you that those tires you bought for your car with the 60,000 wearout warranty will not be honored past 1 year now. (Even though you drive 20k per year) .. That 80 month battery, will now have a warranty of 1 year. That 20 year roof on your house will now have a warranty of 1 year..., etc, etc. And anything else you own will no longer have any warranty at all, even though the item is rated for 100,000 hours MTBF in the spec sheet... Those spec sheets,and ratings, etc being just just something to get someone to buy the product, after all. After the sale you wouldn't expect a mfg to honor those figures... Would you?

Oh, one last thing, that pacemaker that a family member had put in right at a year ago , that had a "rating", an expected lifespan of more than nine years just failed right at the 1 year mark and now they're dead.

While TV lamp lifespan is not as critical as a pacemaker, I'm sure you would want a pacemaker to last for the full nine years, wouldn't you?.

And I would think that the next time you , or your wife, or a family member take a plane that those fasteners that are rated for 10,000 hours of air time indeed do hold the wings ON for at least 10,000 hours, RIGHT? . Or would you be "OK" with them failing at 3,000 hours? Killing everyone on board?

So far as one of your other points:.

RE: A manufacturer isn't going to cover lamps until consumers think the product matches CRT in life expectancy.

If you were to POLL, or ask most any normal person who is the market for a big screen, and does not come to boards like this /sell / or breathe TV's.... They expect a set to last at least 5 years.... just like that CRT set in the kitchen that keeps on going and going and going, or that CRT based Big Screen they have now.

They at least expect the LAMP to last 6,000 hours if it is rated at such.... and they don't expect a LAMP, a bulb to cost as much as these LAMPS do.

Silver Member

Post Number: 452
Shout it from the Mountain tops!!

I could not have said it better myself.......And Thats the truth.

People need to read this stuff. Too many accept the failings of this technology to easily allowing the manufacturers a free ride in their zeal to be the first on the block.

The technology id CRAP and laden with compromise. It irks me to no end when people accept it with such blind faith. No improvemets need be made by the manufacturers. Although seems like there are way MORE comlaints then the "limited unreliable sampling" many are claiming these boards to be becasue some of the manufacturers are revisiting their lamp life claims.

People who eat sleep, breathe, and yes SELL these TVs frequent boards like these. WHEN THEY ARE SCRAMING HELP in the night there is a problem!

In no other interest Forum is the cry for help so loud and on common issues.

To Those that say
Unregistered guest
While I'm all for "technology", it says allot about a product that has only a 1-year warranty... the LAMPS being rated for a certain amount of hours... and then the mfg's not honoring that rating.

So the mfg's are starting to re-rate the lifespan of the LAMPS???

Boy that's good news!

Sounds like the mfg's are trying to get into the LAMP selling business.

Maybe they should start selling the set itself @ , or near the true mfg'ing cost... and then focus on selling LAMPS.

Sort of like bubble jet printers... sell at a low cost, then make most of your profit on cartridges.

Silver Member

Post Number: 106
Lots of ramblings!!!

It's very apparent that the post from "To Those that say" and tom bong are the same person!

I don't see why you feel the need to support your ramblings with unregistered posts.

You have far too much time on your hands.

You didn't check out the lamp link either or you wouldn't be rambling that bullshit about rated hours.

Silver Member

Post Number: 458
NOt really.....Although you are not the first to make that assertion. Anyone who agrees with me is me. How unfortuate for those who are so seduced by the technology that there cannot possibly be any detractors LOL

Besides he is MUCH more literate then I and makes his points with much more eloquance and patience.

No I am not him. I don't need to create imaginary people who agree with me. IF you had not just joined the party you would already know that.

And yes I have far too much time on my hands. I have earned it. Worked hard and saved hard for it. Now I can enjoy it. Thats a good thing.

To Those that say
Unregistered guest
DLP4me!

Wrong AGAIN dude. I'm not tom bong.

And no I didn't read that lamp link yet, and really don't care what it says.

BTW: I'm not saying DLP is bad, I'm just saying the mfg's should stand behind the product....

Or reduce the price of LAMPS to about $40 so the LAMP become an non-issue.

Bottom line to me is if something is advertised to last so long, or perform a function it should do so.

Silver Member

Post Number: 117
The lamp will always be an issue.
It's a consumable.
If you don't want a consumable lamp projector, don't buy one!
If you do you will have a beautiful large display for much less lamp cost than front projection.

Apples and oranges comparisons of reliability to CRT are stupid.

Silver Member

Post Number: 470
>>>>Apples and oranges comparisons of reliability to CRT are stupid.<<<<

I agree. DLP is not even close in reliability, cost and is still the reference for DLP PQ....They cannot be compared on any level. You can have that one.

Silver Member

Post Number: 122
Thanks!

Reliability is not the issue.

I didn't want a no maintenance inferior CRT display.

Apples and oranges!

To those that say
Unregistered guest
I think DLP4me! is a SHILL.

SHILL= Someone who works for a company that cruises the Internet forums doing "damage control", but says they are not associated with any company.

A SHILL I guess could also be someone that has a vested financial interest, such as someone who owned stock, or had a business or whatever to keep the gravy ride from ending.

Silver Member

Post Number: 156
LOL

To Those that say
Unregistered guest
LOL right back at ya,

Mr. "Shill" AKA DLP4me!

Silver Member

Post Number: 161
ROTFLMAO!

You're kill'n me, dude!
I'm gonna bust a gut! hehe

To Those that Say
Unregistered guest
For those that may be on the fence at some point reading the posts by "certain" members here:

Keep in mind that some people here are SHILLS for the companies mfg'ing, and some are SHILLS for places such as BEST BUY, etc.

And others are SHILLS for the companies mfg'ing the component parts.

SHILL: Someone who works for, or has some kind of financial interest in whatever is being discussed... but says they do not.

Yea dude, you need to buy one of those , I make a good profit off that model, and my service department loves to see them coming! Those sets are cash cows said the salesperson to himself as he was telling the potential customer how great a "buy" it would be.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us