Screw it, I'm buying a $150 Walmart TV...Not really, but frustrated, need advice

PianoProdigy
Unregistered guest
Just when I think I know what to buy, I read all these negative comments.

My previous (and possibly incorrect) opinion was that the Samsung DLP was the best one for the money. I have around $2500 to spend on the TV and stand, but I'm at a loss as to what to buy.

If you had $2500 to spend, what would you buy and why? Would you "risk" buying it online or just go to the store and try to haggle?

I don't need anything gigantic, so keep your recommendations under 50". I really like the look of the Samsung DLP that has the built-in pedestal; however, I'm not sure what I would do with all of my home audio and other such equipment.

Anonymous

I am in the same boat... I've been doing research for over a month online, going into stores (BB and CC guys seem to make things up as they go along). At $2500, I'm thinking your best investment (if you can call it that) would be Samsung HL-R5067W. I've read nothing but good things about this television, as well as done side-by-side comparisons in store. The high contrast ratio (2500:1, I believe) really does make this TV. Talk about beautiful. Also, anything you read about the older 63-series does not apply here, Sammy have stepped up their QC since then. I am going to be purchasing this TV this week. Just need to find the best price ;)

PianoProdigy
Unregistered guest
I'll head over to Sound Advice and Circuit City tonight and take a look at that one.

MattyS
Unregistered guest
Any advice from the experts on whether it would be worthwhile to wait a couple months on the 5067? Would the price drop significantly enough to warrant the wait?

Bronze Member
Username: Jimkw

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 71
I'm not an expert by any means, but I have been watching that TV for quite some time. It has already dropped in price from around $2700 to around $2000. If I were to buy one right now, that's the one I would buy, but I don't know if I'd get it over the internet or at Searc, BB or CC. Definitely cheaper over the internet, but if you have problems in the 1st 30 days it's nice to be dealing locally.

Some of the tech experts on this board seem to like it quite a bit also. Ignore Tom Bong when he responds though. I'm serious, if you see him respond, you will be better off not reading it.

Bronze Member
Username: Helpful_smurf

Post Number: 63
I work at Best Buy and not only is the Samsung HLR5067w the television I sell the most of it's also the one I bought myself. It's got a great picture, even better in my home than what you might see in the store. I keep a picture of mine on my clipboard and show it to people all the time. I literally sell at least one almost every day.

It's super versatile and packed with features. It does have a few quirks (like the way you have to mute the speakers to get it to output sound to a home theater) but People have come back to me absolutely raving about it and thanking me for pointing them at it. I've never had a single one come back on return. NOT ONE. There are very few sets I can say that about.

Sale price on it last week in my area was 2299.99. If you can dig out the ad I'd wager you could still get it at that price today or just by bargaining. :-)

HS

MattyS
Unregistered guest
b

Silver Member
Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 269
Wait......You will be sorry.

Nevermind. Don't read this. Take advice from sales people who sell them. Thats a better idea. LOL

Bronze Member

Post Number: 64
Lots of people do Tom, a lot more than take advice to broken record forum trolls who advocate low quality fiberboard TVs! LOL!

In fact lots of people have listened to me and every single one has been extremely happy with their purchase. I've got actual real world experience with people. What have you got? I mean other than a TV that is in serious danger of being eaten by termites .

Nothing.

HS

MattyS
Unregistered guest
Well, I got it today. Ordered from Plasmabay.com

The wait is going to kill me!

Silver Member

Post Number: 275
"I've got actual real world experience with people"

Get some miles on you before you make a statement like that. A sharp fast talking talking salesman is not exactly universally accepted as the most credible human with the best interest of the customer in mind. You are too young to see the irony or logic in that I'm sure.

>>every single one has been extremely happy <<

Just like both faces in all wedding pictures are always happy. See how happy they are when they have to start replacing lamps, or have sync issues, or their kids complain about Video Game lag.

The bottom line for me is:

YOu are a Best BUY sales dweeb and not to be believed on anything. I will happily stand by while termites enjoy my TV.....and wait until the fixed pixel TVs can display evry source with equal Picture quality and not make me pay $200 a year in addition to do so just towatch the non compelling HD content currently available...unless of course you are a fan of American Idol and Buffy.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
Every time you open your mouth you look more ignorant Tom, you don't have any idea how old or young I am. You just assume you know about me just like you assume you know about home theater. Your assumptions about my age are just as wrong as anything else you say. Care to take a guess? Hey why not guess my weight while you're at it. Am I black or white or asian or hispanic Tom? Male or female? Fact of the matter is you're still talking out of your a ss.

As always.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 66
And PS MattyS, be sure and let us know what you think of your set when it arrives. I think you'll be VERY pleased.

HS

Silver Member

Post Number: 277
NOt to many adults I know would call themselves Smurf, LOL. Not many adults old enough to support a family can do it as a slaes dweeb at Best Buy.

Its does not take Kreskin's "powers" to know what cannot always be seen. AS you get older with more "people" experience you will understand that.

I know nothing about home theater except.

1. Don't buy any DLP or LCDRP TV where you need to spend $200-$300 for bulbs every year or two.

2. Don't spend $3000 on a TV that only looks its best on one input source (HD)---a source that does not have much compelling content at the moment

3. Do not listed to self annointed "power vidiophiles" who will buy new TVs every year just to have the lastest generation. (calling FYI)

4. DO not believe 1080P is better then 1080i just because its 1080p when there is no 1080p content and if there is it still has to be converted from 1080i to 1080p....

5. Most people cannot tell the difference between 720P and 1080i or and EDTV Plasma and a 768 Plasma.

There is a bulb life petition on the Panasonic thread.
MAJOR blotch ISSUES on the SONY Wega thread
Sync and latency issues on the Samsung threads

None of those issues are assumptions all are REAL WORLD ISSUES by real people sucked into a world of incomplete technology.

And if those truths are coming out of my Azz......then the sources of that information must call that place home.

MattyS
Unregistered guest
One question, is it necessary to buy a conditioned UPS for the TV? I've heard spikes in current can take hours off the life of the bulb...

Tom Bong, the fact that you have to resort to personal attacks makes your entire argument irrelevent. You're not accomplishing anything here other than destroying your own credibility. /ignore

Bronze Member

Post Number: 68
I have one on mine, sudden power loss stops the fan that cools the bulb which could result in overheating the bulb. I got mine over in the computer section, the belkin one we sell is ridiculously expensive (600 bucks). A decent one from APV will run you about 150-200 bucks. I have this daisy chained off the standard power conditioner with only the TV plugged into it. This just gives me a chance when the power goes out to walk over and turn the tv off and let it go through the normal cooldown cycle. It depends on your area, if you are prone to thunderstorms and lots of power outages (as we are here in the south) then it's not a bad idea.

HS

Silver Member

Post Number: 283
NO you don't need one. Just but a Best Buy EW instead...and get a new TV updated everytime lightning strikes.LOL

BTW I would not trust any UPS to protect your TV agaisnt a direct lightning strike.

Read this thread entirely and come to your own conclusions

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=571981&highlight=UPS+surge+prote ctors

Bronze Member
Username: Jimkw

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 72
As a side note, I would like to say I have found the sales people at Best Buy to be some of the most knowledgeabel and helpful I have found anywhere. One actually told me to go to Sears and buy the TV I bought for my daughter as a wedding present. They did not carry the one I bought and thought I found a deal they could not match. Since they are not on commision, I do not find them to be pushing any one TV or trying to fast talk me into buying something.

MartyS, please keep us informed on how things go with the new TV and how things go with Plasmabay.

I smell a bonghole
Unregistered guest
"Just but a Best Buy EW"

What an ignorant dumbass!

Up to 283 posts and the idiot still can't compose. LOL

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 424
Mr Bong...I thank you for your link to the avsforum thread. I promise you I have read every word on all 93 posts. Yet, and you'll have to humor me here, what was their conclusion on UPS use?

If you answer, please misspell some words so I'll know it's you.

Silver Member

Post Number: 299
Du da ree serch yurself. Dont tak mi wurd for anyding. If I wood haf takin the wurds of thoz here I wud av wastid a tun of mouny..

bong exposed as fraud
Unregistered guest
Anonymous

Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 12:41am

Quotes from the link that tom bong posted in the samsung problems thread:

"In the old days, color imaging was accomplished by tickling phosphors with an electron gun. Surprisingly, this system produced (and continues to produce) the most life-like images of all, which is why CRT front projectors are still preferred by a small number of high-end customers for home theater applications."

"That's because CRTs are capable of a wide grayscale and can show images with very low luminance levels (shadow detail) as well as very high luminance levels (highlights) in the same scene. More importantly, when a CRT is idling, it is essentially shut off. I mean REALLY shut off, as in black. Not a deep gray, as you'll see with LCD, DLP, and LCoS projectors and AM LCD and plasma monitors."

If you ask people who really know this technology, they will tell you that a properly calibrated CRT is the reference that all others are measured by.

http://www.hdtvexpert.com/pages/shmontrast.htm

A 2003 article that groups DLP black levels in with LCD and Plasma isn't very credible. Everyone knows that DLP black levels are matching CRT black levels while LCD is still unable to.

Using wording from a 2003 article as your own is pretty lame. It's pure plagiarism. It's misleading and outdated.

This proves beyond doubt that tom bong is a fraud.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us