Sony 42" LCD A10 only $100 > Sony 34" CRT XBR960 - what gives???

Bronze Member
Username: Kevinp

Post Number: 12
Shouldn't the CRT be a litte bit more inexpensive? You would think the newer technology (LCD) and 8" larger screeen size would warrant a greater price difference.

Is there any other inherent difference I'm missing?

(let's not turn this into a LCD is better/worse than CRT type debate please)

Anonymous

Great question. I am currently stuck looking at both sets myself. I love the PQ of the XBR, but for comparable $$ can get 42" with the A10. To me, the dilemma is that the 34" is better pic, but smallish in pic size and HEAVY vs an RP LCD that is larger but I have to compromise on PQ for all but HD and even then have to deal with pixelation. To me, this is the worst time to be buying a TV as the CRTs are not big enough and the rest are not good enough. An option to consider - 34" HD Monitor that will save you $$$ while you ride it out.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
So an LCD only suffers in PQ when it comes to standard TV signal but NOT when something is broadcast in HD?

I just want my video games to look as good as possible and can live with TV reception.

Bronze Member
Username: Hd_fanatic

Boise, ID

Post Number: 74
The biggest advantage to the 34" XBR is that it will do a better job displaying all resolutions. Even analog TV looks very good on that set. Consumer Reports gave the XBR the highest rating possible for displaying HD programming, and DVD playback which is important to a lot of people. How far away are you going to be viewing the set from?

Bronze Member

Boise, ID

Post Number: 75
Another thing I forgot to mention, the XBR comes standard with a 24 month warranty that covers part and labor. Not many other manufacturers do that.
The 42" rear projection is covered for a year, and I have been told that bulbs are excluded from the warranty because it is considered a consumable item.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
HD,

Currently I'm only about 4 feet away from my 27" non HD CRT.

I was trying to finagle a way to get 7-8 feet away, if I bought the 42" LCD. I'm assuming I'm okay where I am now thought if I got the 34" CRT ???

Also, does the 34" XBR have 720p as native resolution?

Bronze Member

Boise, ID

Post Number: 76
4 feet away from the 34" XBR would be good. 4 ft from the 42" would not be good. If you are going to remain that close, I would say to definately go with the XBR.

As for the native resolution, I believe it's 1080i (if I'm wrong someone correct me) It doesn't really matter though, because this TV looks good with anything you hook up to it.

Here's a small video clip I ran across that descibes a little about the set.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_KD_34XBR960/4535-6481_7-30787600.html?tag=tab

Anonymous

I'm leaning towards either the 34" XBR or the cheaper HS / XS Sony models also in 34" that appear to have the same PQ. I'm also looking at the Tosh 34HF85 and the Panasonic CT34WX15. Again - possible options while the rest of the technologies catch up.

Anonymous

I'm at 8' distance to the picture -- will the 34" be way too small?

Bronze Member

Boise, ID

Post Number: 77
Maximum reccomended viewing distance for a 34" 16:9 widescreen is 12.8'. THX's recommendation is 3.8' (36 degree viewing angle). It really comes down to personal preference. However, the higher the resolution, the closer you will be able to sit. With true 1080i 4' would give you a viewing angle similar to that of a movie theater.

Here's a good link that explains the details...

http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html

8' seems like a good middle point between the two extremes.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us