Please help with my Rear Projection dilema

Tony Kennard
Unregistered guest
I currently own a JVC AV-48WP30 and so far have
been happy with it. I currently do not have hardware for HD but that will soon change.

My dilema is this. I am under the assumption that this RPTV does 1080i as a native resolution. Can someone either confirm nor deny that statement? IF it does do 1080i, am I better off keeping it as opposed to picking up a new Samsung DLP that only does 720p for a native resolution? I'm sure there are many experts out there on this senario and I'm dying to find out what you have to say on this topic.

I'm interested in "Future Proofing" my Video hardware but I don't want to wait for a 1080p set because I've heard many mixed reviews as to how much 1080p will be utilized in the next few years.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Silver Member
Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 238
All RPCRTs are 1080i. Also it upconverts all incoming signals to full 1080i high-definition resolution.

KEEP IT for now, Read the forums. AVS.com and here,

There are many issues with DLP not the least the coat of projection bulbs every year or two at $200-$300 a pop. Don't belive me. Just read as many threads on DLP Tvs as you can, Then read threads on RPCRTS and decide which have to most issues and at what time in their lives.

Forget about 1080p. There are NO input signals at 1080p and will not be for a while.The output from what I have seen and read is barely worth the additional cost on current input.

In a few years you will be able to buy a nice Fixed pixel Tv for much less money and there should (hopfully) be more compelling HD content to watch. You are future proofed with that TV for a few more years. IMO Squeeze a few more years out of that set and let others pay for the R&D and issues with the new stuff.

Just read the threads and make your own choice. My opinion is not popular with those who have to be on the bleeding edge of things and are willing to pay handsomely for the privilage. But its just an opinion. No more no less.

Against the Rant
Unregistered guest
Don't believe tom bong!
He's a ranting repetative idiot.

I'm not sure why he keeps repeating false information. It seems more like a self affirmation of his own propaganda.

He acts like he's on some kind of self appointed mission to save us from technology advances.

What a total moron!

Buy what you want, when you want it.

Tony Kennard
Unregistered guest
It's actually http://www.avsforum.com/

One of the reasons I'm considering selling this RPCRT JVC 48" is because I just had to have it repaired. All I can say is thank god I paid the 300 bucks for the 4 year extended warranty. Both Convergence Modules blew and it was over $650 to get it repaired. The tech who fixed it said that it's been happening on the JVC TV's for a while now and that it will probably last another 1.5 years before it has to be done again. At that point there will be no more extended warranty on the TV and I'll be out $600 bucks. Or, I can buy a new one, get another extended warranty and go from there.

Are the DLP pictures, from your experiences, better then the RP CRT pictures using Sat?

Thanks

To Tony
Unregistered guest
Absolutely!

Tony Kennard
Unregistered guest
"Absolutely" what?

To Tony
Unregistered guest
Now...what was your only question?

Silver Member

Post Number: 243
ABOSOLUTELY is absolutely misleading. DO THE RESEARCH and read the forums.

$600 is cheap for a 48" RPCRT..even as a repair....IF you buy a DLP you will pay $200-$300 for new lamps every year or two.

BTW Your JVC may indeed look better on standard TV broadcasts then any DLP. DON"T BELIEVE ME...Go to any store and ask for a standard TV signal over satellite,,like the weather channel on a DLP. I think you will be surprised at the claylike faces and distortions as the TV tries to convert the signal to its native resolution. Don't buy a DLP until you see regular TV on it. Digital TV broadcast is no guarentee of high definition content.

YOu may decide another year and a half might work in your benefit as the technology gets better and the TV's get cheaper, and there is actuall HD content worth viewing.

To Tony
Unregistered guest
This guy is a fool!
Only a total dumbass would make such remarks.

Yea...go look! Seeing is believing!

He doesn't have any first hand info on DLP.
The jerk owns a plasma.
He doesn't have any idea how long a DLP lamp will last.

bong is a worthless piece of sh!t.

Tony Kennard
Unregistered guest
I beleive it was...

"Am I better off keeping it as opposed to picking up a new Samsung DLP that only does 720p for a native resolution?"

Thanks for the help guys. Any more opinions would be greatly appreicated.

Silver Member

Post Number: 246
IMO YOu are way better off keeping it right now.

Save your money and wait awhile longer. You won't be sorry. Besides you have just spent your extended warranty money.....You need to get some value out of it. YA think?

YOu are fortunate to have and enjoy a nice big screen TV while the technology is fleshed out and is coming down in price weekly.

Do yourself a favor though. Look at reg TV on any Samsung. You will understand. You will also save a ton in the long and short term.

Read the threads. Disregard those who are just imflammatory or overly hype and have nothing of substance otherwise to offer.

Tony Kennard
Unregistered guest
Am I able to hook up my PC (ATI X800 Pro Video Card) to my current JVC AV-48WP30 using the DVI connector on this TV?

Tony Kennard
Unregistered guest
Anyone?

Tony Kennard
Unregistered guest
bumper
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us