Which should I buy?

Username: Bajax

Post Number: 2
Toshibs 52HMX or Samsung HLR5078 ?

Username: Onslaughtnem

Savannah, Georgia USA

Post Number: 3
I started a similar post. My only help would be this since I'm new here. I've read that the Samsungs have a lag issue with videogames. So if you dont play them, go with Sammy. If you do, go with Toshiba with its "game mode."

Silver Member
Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 183
Neither....Both are terrible read the forums, Save your money and wait awhile until they get it right.

Username: Onslaughtnem

Savannah, Georgia USA

Post Number: 5
Tom I see you constantly on this forum. Of course, a wide scope of opinions are needed. New technology is always "iffy" at best, but I do not believe you can find a good old fashioned tube tv at the size many of us want. Are you just not a fan of DLP, or all the new formats such as LCD and Plasma?

Silver Member
Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 186
After reading about the issues here with DLP and RPLCD I am not a fan of either and cannot understand why anyone would want to spend their money on it. Read the Sony Wega Thread......Tat list is getting longer everyday..There a petition going on in the PAnny thread..and Samsung seems to be the worst of the lot with many issues from gamming to sync to bulbs and on.

I am of the belief RPCRT technology is dissapearing too soon becasue the makers of the new crap is finding a gullable public sucked in by the big WOW in the stores only to find many are crapping out in less then 2 years and in many casses in 9 months with some issue.

The warranty techs have no clue and the makers are putting blinders on their eyes and covering their ears....

Plasma is the best bet if you HAVE to watch American Idol in HD...otherwise I'd wait a couple more years.

Bronze Member
Username: Hd_fanatic

Boise, ID

Post Number: 58
To Onslaughtnem,

I can give you an un-biased opinion. I have had 3 Sony LCD projection TV's and unfortunately I had problems with every one of them. The problems were relatively minor annoyances more than anything, but I tend to have a problem paying 3-4 grand for a TV and having it not operate as it was intended. I have to agree with Tom that the track record of the new technologies has not been that favorable. However I work with a guy that has had a Samsung 61" (63 series) for 2 years with zero problems. Not even a bulb change. I do believe that manufacturers are making great strides in improving the technology and the newer models may prove that. (time will tell)

Buying a CRT is not that bad of an idea, especially if you are on a budget. The March consumer reports rated the top CRT projections right up there with the top micro-displays, the Samsung 5085 and 5685 DLP models. The only real disadvantage is the size and weight. Consumer reports did not rate on reliability for microdisplays due to the technology being so new, and they did mention that CRT projection has been quite reliable over the last several years.

In the past I have been turned off by the narrow viewing angles and darker pictures of the CRT's, but the newest models that are available now are actually very good. The Hitachi and Mitsubishi's are some of the best looking CRT's projection TV's out there in my opinion.

Bottom line is that if everybody sat on the side lines and waited until the technology improved, they would be waiting forever because the technology is constantly evolving. I would suggest buying what you fell comfortable with. Personally, I like the JVC LCoS, but the black levels are nowhere near as good as CRT.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us