Looking at buying a new DLP, please help?

Username: Onslaughtnem

Savannah, Georgia USA

Post Number: 1
Hey all, I'm new here but not to A/V in general. I'm looking at investing in a DLP set since I play a good amount of games and want something LARGE. I was looking initially into the Samsung HLR5667w set, but I hear the HLR series still has issues with audio sync when it comes to videogames. So I've moved on to a Toshiba 52hm84. I just had a few questions for the people who know their stuff and don't mind helping out a newbie to the board.

1. I hear the Toshiba DLP models have a "Game Mode" to get rid of this supposed sync issue. However, I've read all of the User Manuals on their site to no avail. Does the 52hm84 support this "Game Mode" or not? If not, what models do?

2. Is the extended warranty plan worth it? I was going to purchase it at Best Buy to cover the lamp and whatnot. Also, does BB haggle prices? Or are theirs set in stone until a sale comes along?

3. How is the 4:3 to 16:9 conversion on the Toshiba models? I ask because many ps2/gc games dont support 16:9 yet, nor regular television. This is primarily going to be a gaming and dvd tv, but not all games are 16:9 as I said, so I was wondering if the picture looks terrible stretched or if its a pretty good conversion?

I've read through most of the forums hearing people talk of these things and models, but not really seeing them addressed. I think Im allowed to nitpick if I'm dropping upwards of $3k. So any replies will be GREATLY appreciated. Cheers.

Silver Member
Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 178
Don't do it..You WILL be sorry. Bank on it.

Read the forums. All you can find. Wait unitl the technology is worthy and not so many issues. Read the Sony and PAnasonic thread here on those RPLCDs

The Samsung DLPS have the most issues with games.
Here are some Toshiba threads you might be interested in. http://www.hdtvoice.com/voice/forumdisplay.php?f=13

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=438276

Enjoy!!

Savannah, Georgia USA

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the links. Anyone else care to comment?

Silver Member
Username: Kdog044

Post Number: 180
However, I've read all of the User Manuals on their site to no avail. Does the 52hm84 support this "Game Mode" or not? If not, what models do?

None of the XXHM8X or XXHMX8X models include the game mode. All of the XXHM9X and XXHMX9X models do (i.e. 52HM94,52HMX94, 52HM95, etc).

2. Is the extended warranty plan worth it? I was going to purchase it at Best Buy to cover the lamp and whatnot. Also, does BB haggle prices? Or are theirs set in stone until a sale comes along?

This is a personal decision. The lamp is covered for one year by the standard Toshiba warranty. Certain credit cards, if used, double the manufacturer's warranty (i.e. American Express).

3. How is the 4:3 to 16:9 conversion on the Toshiba models? I ask because many ps2/gc games dont support 16:9 yet, nor regular television. This is primarily going to be a gaming and dvd tv, but not all games are 16:9 as I said, so I was wondering if the picture looks terrible stretched or if its a pretty good conversion?

Toshiba has some of the best stretch modes. My favorite is the TheaterWide I mode which keeps the center of the picture intact and slightly stretches the left and right sides to fill the picture.

FYI I have the 62HMX94 and I am totally pleased with this set.

Savannah, Georgia USA

Post Number: 4
Thanks Kdog for addressing each question. I figured I would get the 52" model with the game mode, so now I know what model to hunt for. I figured I would get the warranty for peace of mind. Would you suggest purchasing in an actual store as opposed to online despite price differences simply because it is easier to contact personnel in case of warranty issues?

Silver Member
Username: Kdog044

Post Number: 183
OnslaughtNEM,

This is again a personal preference. I chose to purchase from a store just because any problems are easier to get corrected as opposed to shipping a set back to an online retailer. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase smaller electronic items online but large items such as a TV are more difficult. Many times the cost savings with purchasing online are offset by the associated shipping charges.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us