Consider yourself warned vs this unreliable technology

Silver Member
Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 175
Sammy had an issue with Gaming. What did they do to rebate those customers who spent $3000 on a TV that claimed NO IMAGE BURN in to game on only to find they could not! NOW they are working with MS?

There are those on this board who expect a reliable TV for 10 years (although guys like FYI have to replace them in a year to keep up)

$3000 IS a lot of money for a TV that has sync and latency issues, MANY spent that money and now have a 2 year old TV they cannot use for gaming...so the no burn in feature means nothing.

MOst of the programming on cable is Standard TV. Its no waste of money to wait until the fixed Pixel TV makers get their collective crap together and make a relaible TV that does not have latency, bulb, sync, and the other issues I have read here in the FIRST 6 MONTHS to 2 YEARS..thats a long way from your own 10 year $25 a month target.

All Im saying is WAIT...WAIT until there is MORE HD content then not. WAIT until the sets are reliable (and there are more message threads here discussing more then ISSUES like other interest group gear) WAIT until the prices come down as a bunus. In the mean time get yourself a HD RPCRT for $1200 and enjoy the minimal HD content. IN 3-4 years for $1200 you will be able to get a more reliable and better FP TV.

(By then FYI will have bought 4!!!)

bong is a fraud
Unregistered guest
Anonymous

Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 12:41am

Quotes from the link that tom bong posted in the samsung problems thread:

"In the old days, color imaging was accomplished by tickling phosphors with an electron gun. Surprisingly, this system produced (and continues to produce) the most life-like images of all, which is why CRT front projectors are still preferred by a small number of high-end customers for home theater applications."

"That's because CRTs are capable of a wide grayscale and can show images with very low luminance levels (shadow detail) as well as very high luminance levels (highlights) in the same scene. More importantly, when a CRT is idling, it is essentially shut off. I mean REALLY shut off, as in black. Not a deep gray, as you'll see with LCD, DLP, and LCoS projectors and AM LCD and plasma monitors."

If you ask people who really know this technology, they will tell you that a properly calibrated CRT is the reference that all others are measured by.

http://www.hdtvexpert.com/pages/shmontrast.htm

A 2003 article that groups DLP black levels in with LCD and Plasma isn't very credible. Everyone knows that DLP black levels are matching CRT black levels while LCD is still unable to.

Using wording from a 2003 article as your own is pretty lame. It's pure plagiarism. It's misleading and outdated.

This proves beyond doubt that tom bong is a fraud.

Silver Member

Post Number: 305
YEah OK LOL...That proves DLP has no sync issues, no latency issues, no bulb issues, no Standard TV PQ issues, YEah...Im a fraud..Those who think so go ahead and spend your $3000 for a DLP or RPLCD. Ask those who still have laserdisks and players how they are doing with that technology!!! LOL Becasue thats the interim technology you are buying. Wait for SED at least. That is a real technological next step to the still superior CRT.

bong-fraud and liar
Unregistered guest
Laugh at yourself, bong.

I haven't seen repeated sync issues or lamp issues.

Yes, you're a fraud and a liar.

"Becasue"

You're so ignorant it's laughable.

There is nothing superior about CRT

Silver Member

Post Number: 307
CRT is suiperior in many ways....

More gray scales, Better blacks, more reliable,no bulbs to replace, proven 60 year old technology that lasts over 10 years in many cases.........Man even the cheapest ones have these attributes all over your DLPs LOL.

You are running out of descriptive names to call me son. Better brak out your dictionary. I don't care about my typos nor do I care to spell check in this venue. The message is still understood and the facts are still the same regardless of spelling. But hey if you think that affects credibility here....so be it.

The DLP and RPLCD is the "Laser disc" of Television technology right now. Mark my words in three years those who bought DLPs hoping for a 7 year display solution will be sorry they did not wait for SED which is the natural progression of ..yes superior CRT technology......MArk this post.

Simple Truth
Unregistered guest
"The mirrors in a DLP projection system can reflect pixels in up to 1,024 shades of gray to convert the graphic signal entering the DLP chip into a highly detailed grayscale image."

How many shades can your eyes discern?
You obviously have a lot to learn about DLP.

CRT is not "suiperior".
Better "brak" out your dictionary.

Yes! It most definitely affects your credibility.
Depicting a lower level of intelligence tends to do that.

Silver Member
Username: Xgrizzlyx

Post Number: 104
Well tell me; A person on the fence why DLP is worth buying? If spent that kind of money and have to return or even spend another 200-300 bucks for a bulb The wife would let me have it LOL...

I have a LCD monitor at work and hate it, It flickers at the same resoultions my old crt had no troubles with. But looking at wide spread sheets i can't stand having to adj the montior to 640x480. Actual anything lower the 1280x1024 is pointless for me. Ya we are talking tvs not pc montiors but none the less they are the displays. They laptop we have i can't stand that either if it tilled just away actual if not look directly at it, the colors fade into a blob and look more like holagrams. That is my experience with lcd.

Another thing if Crt is so inferior why do they hide them in the electicons store, put them at heights so must people don't see them. If these stores where so confident that they higher ticketed tvs are that much more superior why don't they put them all side by side, and calibarate at the tvs best..... Is beacuse its like the cereal ile put the junk high sugar kiddie cereal at eye lvl and the healthy, good for ya, at the top?

The only benefit i can see is the size issues.

What makes CRT not digital, and Dlp not analog. I still don't see how mirros and a color wheel is 1's&0's. I think that is all marketing bs!!!
what makes lcd digital What makes a liquid crystal digital?

I think there is SD and HD, Sd is 480i and is about 80% or more of the content. HD is is the rest and is limited to mainly sports, and nature shows, and upconverted material(aka fake HD content)

Are any of the new movies being filmed in HD or they still doing it the old fashion why. How they going to make all the movies we already have HD? Refilm it with new HD cameras? No !!!!!! Call it HD remastered!!!!!

I think "Fixed" as being limited, not flexiable, Is that a good thing?

Alot of the content producers aren't even considering recording or broadcasting in 1080p or even 720p because of cost and bandwith hogging.

What i've noticed with HD is that there is alot of Blues Greens and Reds used in the content, our local news and the other national news stations are. Is that the limitations of HD: Focusing on 3 colors?

Anywhy the best why to prove something is inferior is to prove that it's replacement is superior, something nobody is doing to Toms argument that CRt is still the why to go.

SO What makes CRT analog and not digital
and what makes microdisplay digital and not analog?

To Grizzly
Unregistered guest
I've seen you ask these questions several times, so, I will do my best to explain.

Digital information is a transmission method as well as a control method. It is not a display method. You will never see 1's and 0's on the screen. A digital stream will tell the display device hardware what to do and when to do it. With DLP, the digital stream tells the DMD chip when to tilt 2 million mirrors one way or the other to create 1024 shades of grey. A digital stream synchronizes the pulses of light through the color wheel to create millions of color combinations in order to progressively create up to 1080 horizontal lines. If a DLP tv receives an analog signal it will convert it to a digital signal in order to perform the previously described functions.

With LCD, a digital stream will control CMOS circuits. Those will provide electrically charged states to align reflective particles within each liquid crystal to create the multiple shades of grey. The digital stream will also control the pulses of grey through the color process to progressively create the lines of resolution. An LCD tv will also convert an analog signal to digital to accomplish it's task.

All display technologies, including CRT, use the three primary colors to create all colors.

All old movies are 35mm film productions. It's a simple task to reproduce them in a digital HD state that can take advantage of the new broadcast methods for accurate reproduction by state of the art HD displays. These simple conversions will take place on future HD DVD's too. It's not really fake in the sense that you described. Nobody has ever had 35mm content delivered to their home in HD format before. The old analog process has always been a degrading medium that was not very accurately reproduced by analog CRT technology, though still quite miraculous for our era.

Some newer CRT's do have digital control capability of the electron to phosphorus process, however, they are limited to interlaced scan rates, except for computer monitors.

All content producers will be recording in 720P and 1080I formats. All network broadcasters are already required bythe FCC to transmit content digitally in whatever native format along side the analog broadcast until such time as the FCC retakes the VHF analog spectrum.

Fixed pixels is just a different method of producing a line of resolution instead of an electron gun scanning or drawing the same line of resolution. Your eyes are fooled either way. It is commonly understood that progressive resolution is a cleaner and sharper image than interlaced regardless of the number of lines.

There is plenty of bandwidth for 1080I recording and broadcasting. The 1080P sets will change the scanning method to provide the progressive HD image.

The lamp issue is really a non-issue. There are 3 year old HLN Samsungs on the same lamp. A number of user conditions will affect the life. That said, it's still just an advanced high pressure gas arc lamp. Sometimes they crap out, but it's not the norm as bong would have you believe. The only thread I've seen of a continuing repetative lamp issue is the Panasonic xx13 series. Most think it's an overheating issue with the housing.

The advantage of micro-displays are extremely apparent to most everyone, but tom bong.

Bigger
Sharper
Brighter
Clearer
Non-degrading
Longer lasting

Silver Member
Username: Xgrizzlyx

Post Number: 112
Interesing :D and thanks!!!!!!!

So if there are crt pc monitors with progress scan cabilities why not tv

I've been reading this forum for over a year. It's interesting how fast it all changes, it's starting to get as bad as graphics card for pc's.

To Grizzly
Unregistered guest
I don't really know why.

Maybe someone else can chime in.

fx
Unregistered guest
"So if there are crt pc monitors with progress scan cabilities why not tv (?)"

Because of the cost. To stay priced competitively with LCD, DLP and others CRT manufacturers stopped manufacturing units with progressive circuitry some time ago. There might still be one model available with progressive, a German model whose name escapes me right now but it would be the Lone Ranger, plus very expensive.

xvxvxvx

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 835
Don't forget Samsung's new line of reference CRTs.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/158710.html

Silver Member

Post Number: 312
http://www.smh.com.au/news/technology/lg-samsung-try-to-save-the-crt/2005/08/18/ 1123958171967.html

I think Lynch ment to post this thread.

Grizzly. Its simple. If DLP was the end all Crts would have gone the way of LAser discs, Cassettes, and VHS players. There is no R&D money being spent on those technologies unlike CRT which is still very much relavant.

DLP is a stop gap using pre CRT technology (projector bulbs) as funny as it sounds. Then a chip with yes millions of tiny mirrors flipping to and fro on millions of tiny hinges reflecting light through a spinning wheel....... It is a rediculous as it sounds. Lots of moving parts for digital circuitry and display.

These TV sets are cheaply made and have a much higher margin then CRTs. The distribution line, all of whom have everything to gain by duping the market into believeing its better to watch 20% of non compelling content in HD rather then 80% in faked HD or standard TV in claymation.

You can choose that road if you like. If I were you I would wait a few months and take a look at a more CRT like technology in SED. I am convinced that is the true progression of Television technology, not a stop gap using a combination of old and new moving part technology.

Oh and a $200-$300 part I have to take apart the TV to replace myself or pay someone else to do does reek of old technology as well. Whether its 1 year or three. It stinks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us