Samsung HLR 6178

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1482
I just ordered a 6178 from Sound Advice(Tweeter) and paid $1000 more than what a 6167 goes for at Best Buy.

In-store the picture on the 6178 looked much better than the R5067 right next to it. I don't know if the guys at Sound Advice "tweaked" the colors at all on the other sets, but greens and especially skin tones seemed far more natural on the 78. My salesman explained that this was due to the 10000:1 contrast ratio, that not only did that help with blacks, but colors as well.

I was a bit concerned with the upscaling to 1080p on this set, but when asked about how lower formats would look my salesman pretty much danced around the subject. I wasn't too worried. The picture did look better, but after reading the article in Majid's link in the xx67 thread

http://www.hdtvexpert.com/pages/reality.htm

I'm a bit worried that most of my Comcast programs are gonna look like crapola, especially if the broadcast I viewed at Sound Advice was 1080i.

FYI, you said that many xx78 owners were pleased with the results. Did any mention how the set handled 720p or non-upscaled DVD?

I guess I'm set for the future, but was wondering if I'm going to be disappointed with the majority of present material. I really can't justify purchasing a 720p/1080i DVD player when HD-DVD seems to be just around the corner.

I dunno, Sound Advice has a really good return policy and there'd be no problem returning the 6178, but they don't carry the 6167. Heck, this is my first HDTV(been waitin 3 years, lol). I don't even no what a "good" 720p/480p/analog picture should look like.

Anybody got a xx78 or xx68 yet?

-Fishy

note: I posted this in the Samsung xx67 thread, but that thing's become a monster. Heaven help anyone loading that thing with dialup.

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 226
When you think about how all the native 1080I sets are displaying lower formats with no real difficulty it stands to reason that a set designed to progressively scan would only improve on that.

Upscaling is upscaling, whether the DVD does it or the set does it. Anything that's 480I or greater will look very nice.

Defining the majority of present material is very subjective since all the major networks are broadcasting digital enhanced definition to anyone with an ATSC tuner. Having taken the HD package myself, I find that I watch much less standard def programming. Even TNT is starting to broadcast the Nextel Cup NASCAR race in widescreen HD today for the first time. This year has seen major leaps in HD content with many night time programs having made the conversion. NFL will broadcast well over 100 games in HD this year. Major league baseball has been on board with HD since the last World Series. It's really a fast growing trend now. I think standard def will shrink quickly. It already has for me since I'm not a fan of most secondary channels.

Your choice of waiting for the 1080P was very wise since you bought a 61 inch screen. More lines are certainly better when you go bigger.
You said, "I guess I'm set for the future", and you most definitely are. Most networks do broadcast HD in 1080I and your set will display those images progressively, which is the best manner possible with todays technology.

I'm jealous! Your thoughts on the return policy are going to evaporate.

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1483
Thanks for the reply.

I'm still not sure how analog is going to look, but after reading through those two giant cable card threads in the HDTV Reception section I'm tempted to run the gauntlet of problems that can plague those things. It seems that those that actually had a CC that worked right noticed an improvement in analog broadcasts over the set top box. Plus as I understand it I'll actually be able to use the PIP function on the set. Thats not really all that important to me, but as I don't need PPV, interactive guides, or on demand stuff, getting rid of that stupid STB is pretty appealing. I always figured the less junk in the signal path the better, plus I'd have one less remote to worry about, and wouldn't have to decide about aquiring an expensive DVI/HDMI or "quality" component cable. The guy at Sound Advice tried to sell me an $80 component set. I've always thought Monster Cable gouged the consumer when it came to audio cables, but I'm not sure about the video stuff. I know digital cables either work or they don't but component is an analog signal, correct?

Again thanks for the comeback. I'm pretty much a newb when it comes to this section of the forum.

:-)

-Fishy

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 233
Yes! Component is certainly analog signal, but not the same as standard def. Component cables will carry ED and HD content. Many STB users prefer component connections over DVI/HDMI.

You won't need either with CableCard, but sometimes it has another set of problems.

If you're not subscribing to an HD channel package you should still be able to get free digital ED and HD from your local networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, etc.) on basic cable without using the CableCard system. The ATSC tuner will auto-tune the digital networks nicely.

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1484
Yeah the problems. I think there are over 500 posts in the other section describing various cable card woes, but as most people don't bother to post unless there's a problem I wonder what the actual percentage of dissatisfied cable card customers is at the moment. Might not be much.

Should be worth the risk if indeed I'll get better PQ going that route. At the moment I've got plenty of free time that can be dedicated to waiting on the cable guy. If things get too frustrating I can always drop back 5 and punt the CC back to comcast and have them toss me a set top box.

I'm mainly glad that it seems I've made the right choice for the TV part, but anything will be an improvement. I'm still using an analog STB as we speak, hehe.

Thanks for the reassurance. This stuff is complicated and confusing. Piece of mind is a good thing.

-Fishy
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us