Problem getting Samsung warranty service scheduled

Username: Frankminutillo

Manchester, CT United States

Post Number: 1
I have a brand new Samsung HLR-4266W bought thruAmazon.com for me as a gift and delivered to my home July 27,2005. My cable company connected it all up with their digital and HDTV service the next day and for nearly 30 hours, it all worked great and I loved the picture. But then, a big problem occured. I got very strange broad horizontal bars of very noisy interference over the screen which cleared up after a while and then a lot of seeming random red noise occured only to return to a great picture for a while etc.
I called Samsung for service help and after saying that the set was too new to have much of a service record they scheduled me for warranty service with a service provider who actually has an address in my hometown. The problem is that the provider doesn't answer his phone and I can't seem to get anyone at Samsung to help me get an actual date for service established. I have an official Samsung servce ticket number, but that doesn't really let me do anything except find out that it has been assigned to the service provider they list---maybe since he doesn't answer his phone I can't be sure.

Now what? has anyone a suggestion as to how to actually get Samsung warranty service on a brand new but mal-functioning supposed state of the art DLP HDTV? By the way, here is a picture of the actual problem if anyone might have had a similar one plese let me hear from you.
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 187
Very interesting picture...in more ways than one.

It doesn't look like a set problem to me.
It looks more like a cable signal problem.

I haven't read that you have tried a different signal source like a DVD or VCR player.
Is it happening on all channels? All inputs?
What type of connection? Cables?
Have you taken the cable service line straight to the tuner input on the set, bypassing the box?
This looks like ingress of off-air signal from a loose fitting on the cable line. Did you contact your cable provider to investigate?

Intermittant picture distortion is almost always signal related.
Garbage in...garbage out!

Post Number: 2
Yes, I have tried it on all channels, both HD and standard, and when I switch to a dvd source ( through a s-vid connection) I got the same sort of pattern. My cable box is connected through component video connections. I have tried making sure all connections are tight too. I suspected the GI-GO possibility and maybe still do.I also suspect thet it could be heat related since it comes, goes and then comes back but less so.
Perhaps I will try the direct cable input to the set and see what happens. Here is another off of the set picture showing another form of the problem
Upload

And, oh yes, the "girl" picture from one of those HD"demo" channels owned by Cox and Comcast I think it's called "visits to beaches" or something like that and it's on all the time...

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 189
It's most likely the video board since it's happening on different inputs. A very rare occurrance, but it sure seems set related.

Call 1-800-SAMSUNG again, prompts 2 then 1 then 3 then 1 and tell them your ticket number. Then ask for the Executive Customer Relations Dept. and tell them your designated service technician is non-responsive and ask for alternative action. These folks are very good at resolving problems.

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the input. If I don't hear from the designated service technician soon, I will certainly try your suggestion.

Post Number: 5
They did aasign me a new service tech. They finally showed up but I wish they hadn't They couldn't come close to a diagnosis, wanted to take the set to their shop and when I said no jiggled the inputs and left promising they would take care of it. Several days later they still had done nothing, so I went to Samsung again and asked for help they have assigned it to a third tech who now they claimis an a tier guy wheras the last one was a c tier. I am losing faith. My brand new Samsung HL-R4266W was delivered fried and still is after over twoweeks. By the way I asked for a replacement rather than a repair and Samsung refused.

Anonymous

With it being only 2 weeks old, Samsung needs to replace it. If you had bought it at Sears, Best Buy, ect. you would have gotten a replacement if under 30 days. Tell Samsung you will seek legal action if it is not replaced. Amazon should have a similar policy, I would think. It really shouldn't be that big of a deal for it to be replaced.

<><

Anonymous

FYI...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/15015711/104-5907841-8375946#exchanges

Bronze Member
Username: Wearenotalone69

Post Number: 33
Frank,

I went thru about 8 or 9 months trying to get a set working about two years ago.... I think I read somewhere that if a mfg cannot effect repairs within 30 days they have to replace the item.

Regardless I wouldn't put too much "faith" in finding someone to "repair" the set... (any set) because most techs these days are parts replacers, instead of "techs".... and due to the fact that sets, new models come out so often.

By the time "techs" do get a handle on what is going wrong with a particular model... That item is no longer in production.. Or is no longer "supported" to a large degree since the set IS several years old by that point.

By the time the problems are well know, parts are drying up for that model... and the typical response is to "buy" a new set.

How do I know this?.. well I used to be a tech... and saw alot of "parts replacers" in my day...

I think we'd all be better off (techs and consumers) if the mfg's would SLOW down on the number of "new" releases Of whatever item being talked about) ... and keep items in production LONGER...

Bronze Member
Username: Wearenotalone69

Post Number: 34
Frank,

I went thru about 8 or 9 months trying to get a set working about two years ago.... I think I read somewhere that if a mfg cannot effect repairs within 30 days they have to replace the item.

Regardless I wouldn't put too much "faith" in finding someone to "repair" the set... (any set) because most techs these days are parts replacers, instead of "techs".... and due to the fact that sets, new models come out so often.

By the time "techs" do get a handle on what is going wrong with a particular model... That item is no longer in production.. Or is no longer "supported" to a large degree since the set IS several years old by that point.

By the time the problems are well know, parts are drying up for that model... and the typical response is to "buy" a new set.

How do I know this?.. well I used to be a tech... and saw alot of "parts replacers" in my day...

I think we'd all be better off (techs and consumers) if the mfg's would SLOW down on the number of "new" releases of whatever item being talked about) ... and keep items in production LONGER...

Silver Member
Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 337
NO I think you would be better of if you did NOT support the manufacturers and buy the crap they are putting out.

They know you will though and play the percentages.
The TV's can be fixed by a monkey. All boards and assemblies. This is very cheap for manufacturers and they make up for the tech "time" costs with high component prics.

You are buying a "bill of goods." A modern TV using display technology older then CRTs in projector bulbs....and spinning wheels and and million mirror on tiny hinges flipping to and fro,,,,yeah theres some reliable moden technology.

Wait for SED. You will most like see the natural progression of tried and true 60 year old CRT technology. Not this "laser disc" interim crap.

Accurate Observer
Unregistered guest
You're a rude, insightful dumbass, bong!
You failed to read that it was a gift!

Here you are ranting your crap in a thread asking for assistance.
One again, you have proved my point.

Your idea of "helping others" is to ridicule and and "poke fun at" existing owners of LCD and DLP displays. You have self-proclaimed as much. Nothing gives a more negative impression than that.
Ridicule, sarcasm, and misinformation is your M.O.
While opinions are welcome, undesireable behavior will bring wrath.

Silver Member
Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 341
The gift that keeps on taking.LOL....A gift is the only reason to own a DLP. Free is good. I suspect the giver did not do much research though.

I do not care about the OWNERS. I cannot help those who have not helped themselves.

They deserve ridicule for whinning becasue they bought into this technological nightmare.

Im not posting for their benifit at all. I want those who have not made a purchase yet to read and research fully to understand both sides. They need to observe the fan boyism and militant defense (as you so aptly provide) of this indefensable technology. They will make their own choices. I will be here to poke fun at them when they start the inevitable whinning about premature bulb burn out, spider cracks, latency issues, sync issues, PQ issues on atandard TV, distorted 4:3 screens and all the rest of the joyful complaints I have read here and in many other places.

Newbie. You have been warned. Now go buy a TV.

So bring on the rath....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
It is ridiculous and stupid to have many of the threads on this forum change into ad hominum rants by this guy "bong" and all of his ( justified for the most part ) detractors.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us