Archive through March 17, 2005

Stevie125
Unregistered guest
On my new Samsung 46 inch DLP TV I noticed that when I watch DVDs on my surround sound system the sound always plays a split second before the stuff on the screen happens, so the voices and sounds are never properly in-synch. I have an S-video hookup so I don't see why there is a problem. This also happens on regular television every once in a while. Has this happened to anyone else and what can I do to fix it? Any help is appreciated.

Bronze Member
Username: Daddyrabbit

Post Number: 33
This is probably due to video processing delay. If your DVD is outputing 480i over the svideo then the signal must get de-interlaced to 480p then converted from analog to digital, then upscaled in the set to 720p (not sure of the exact order). This takes a certain amount of time depending on the source. If your audio is running straight to the receiver then these delays aren't accounted for and thus the audio can slightly lead the video.

If your DVD supports component or DVI these might fix the issue.

Stevie125
Unregistered guest
Are the component inputs the red, green, and blue ones?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
Yes

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
If your DVD supports component out use it. Component generally will give you a MUCH better picture on that Sammy. If the DVD supports progressive try setting it to progressive which should provide a 480p signal to the set. If the DVD can upscale to 720p you might want to try that as then you are feeding the set it's "native" resolution and no conversion (other than the d/a conversions) will take place in the set and I would hazard a guess that almost ALL of your sync issues will disappear. The reason I say ALMOST all is that a lot of the normal TV sync issues could be source signal related and have nothing to do with the set.

It would help if you were a little more specific about your setup, for example my rig is:

- Sammy HLN617W
- Comcast HD with a Motorola 6208 DVR box (DVI to the TV)
- Onkyo 702 progressive DVD changer (component to the set, progressive enabled)
- Sony PS2 (component to the Sammy set to 16:9 with 480p enabled)
- MSI Mega865 HTPC with a Radeon 9200 (VGA out to the set)

Audio from ALL of the above is digital to my Onkyo S-770 receiver, all fiber except the HTPC which is digital coax (ran out of fiber inputs).

In a month and a half I have seen "0" rainbows" and exactly "1" 30 second instance of audio/video out of sync (one announcer on the HD Olympics coverage)which I am positive was source related since as soon as they switched to another announcer the problem went away.

Good luck

Stevie125
Unregistered guest
Thanks a lot for the info. My DVD player supports component out so I'll look for those component cables in the stores. Hopefully that will fix the problem.

Rob123
Unregistered guest
My Samsung 50" DLP does not allow me to watch widescreen DVD's without the blackout at the top and bottom of the screen. My settings on the TV are set to widescreen. How can I correct this problem?

Bronze Member
Username: Emkmd

Post Number: 81
Rob,
If the DVD is a real widescreen DVD 2.35:1 then you will have black bars on the set. The dimensions of you set are 16x9, which is about 1.77:1. DO a google search for aspect ratios for more on this.
-E

Schlepp
Unregistered guest
Stevie 125 - I never got my Samsung HLP466 to work as a centre channel, even using Component - it would always have a delay in sound.

The Samsung manual says to "Turn Off the TV sound" when using an external amplifier :-(

If there's a work around, I couldn't find it.

Anonymous

After three repairs on my HLP5063w Samsung 50" tv, because of the "DLP" hum the first two times and then a bad picture the third time after the main engine was replaced, we got a new HLP5063w and it now works perfectly. We needed the same set replacement because we had the cabinet made to fit it. We probably would have changed to a Sony but with speakers on the side, we would have had to take a smaller picture for it to fit the cabinet. With a 5 year replacement warranty, I think we will be safe and it will be worth the expense. bjbalzer

jtimmccormick
Unregistered guest
My Samsung HLP 4663 tv audio does not sync up with my home theater system when watching tv. The tv sound lags behind the home theater cound. I know the manual says to mute the tv, but this seems ridculous in a $3,000 + set. Can anyone help?

TSGarp
Unregistered guest
I've been having the same problem. It is not an issue I foresaw when purchasing my tv. My biggest problem is that when I use my TiVO, I have to use the sound on the TV b/c if I send audio to my receiver it is ahead of the video on the tv.

Can anyone think of a solution, or am I just stuck with using the TV's audio?

TSGarp007
Unregistered guest
I am dumb. The easy solution for me is to use the audio out from the TV to my reciever. The TV adjusts for the delay with the audio internally, so the audio output from the TV should be in sync with the audio.

So if you run your audio from your dvd player (or any source) through the TV first, then to your receiver, you should be fine.

Allegron
Unregistered guest
Video delays can directly be attributed to the DLP Chipset. This is a known problem with the DLP Generation HD2 Chipset. The video processing is taking too long to do it's job. Changing paramters on the receiver to adjust the audio delay is a workaround, not a fix, and 99% of the time the delay varies extremely.. even by channel and source.

tnbubba
Unregistered guest
allegron, should the hd2+ or hd3 chip have the problem solved. thanks

Unregistered guest
Hi All

My first post.
We too have the Samsung HLP4363 and noticed the sound sync problem a few times. Most notable watching Elf, the Bob Newhart intro, this weekend.
In the service menu (mute, 1, 8, 2, Power) under 10 -- Options, you can adjust the audio delay. Ours was set at delay3 so I reset it to delay0. We haven't noticed any great sync problems since. (Xfingers). This may be the solution to this problem.
As always when you enter the service menu the possibility of severely screwing up things with the set is there.
BE CAREFUL NOT TO ADJUST PQ SETTINGS TOO MUCH IF YOU ARE INTO THAT!
I have read a lot of posts on this sound sync subject and if the fix is really just this setting and easily fixed I can't understand why the people who contacted Samsung got a reply that there is nothing wrong with the sets. People have had tech support replace light engines, main boards, etc. to fix this problem. It has to be very expensive for Samsung to do all this warranty work when it may just be a time delay setting. (at least I hope it is that setting, I have only been watching for one day). Someone at Samsung has really dropped the ball on this one if this is the fix.
If you do try this make note of your color settings on all your inputs because when you exit the service menu these settings revert to the default, at least that's what happened to me. Also you have to allow for the set to properly cool down before restarting otherwise you will get a blank screen and the set will turn off and on a few times on its own before turning the lamp on. Plus the lamp light will keep blinking and you will think something is wrong with the set.
I hope this is the fix because we really like the PQ and the size.
Regards

Allegron
Unregistered guest
It is supposed to fix the problem. Mine (HD2) does it whenever the signal isn't 720p. Anything 480i or less (less resolution, the more lag.. like my local TV news stations aren't using HD Cameras yet so it looks like caca. Like Michael Winslow doing an old Kung-Foo movie impression.)

Allegron
Unregistered guest
BTW the point is... you shouldn't have to adjust your delay on your receivers.. this is a workaround, not a fix! My lags are in different lengths so this doesn't work for me.

They can replace boards till their blue in the face, the the flaw resides in the HD2 chipset itself. Changing a tire to fix a gas leak, still leaves a gas leak.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 73
My solution for the "caca" was to split the cable going to my STB and run one line to ANT A on my HLN (HD2). This improved PQ on my analog cable channels a great deal. For digital and HD I use the box and for DVD I use the HTPC.

Note that I did this for PQ and not audio lag as I in 6 months have experienced two instances of a few seconds of lag which I could easily attribute to the source feed, not the DLP (this with video to the set over DVI, VGA, or ANT and audio over fibre to an A/V receiver).

That said, it could be that the digital sets have a harder time dealing with poor signal quality but I don't think that the HD2 chip (which is just a display device) is as much the culprit as the support electronics for doing the scaling and de-interlacing. But IMHO the signal source providers are just as much to blame...

One other thing to try is to disable DNIE and audio processing in the TV setup.

Username: Ajt011

Post Number: 2
I have a 5085w and when the tv volume is low/off I hear a high frequency humm which I believe is the color wheel. Is this normal or is there something that needs fixing with the tv? Can anybody with the same tv describe what kind of "noise" they here during normal conditions with their tv?

Username: Ajt011

Post Number: 4
Anyone found S-video connections from a cable box to 5085w to be helpful in improving standard definition cable picture quality?

Standard cable here in San Diego (Cox) also looks terrible on my 5085w. MTV/VH1 on digital cable are horrible pixelated as well, so that the picture is practically unwatchable - but I think it is the encoding/broadcast of those particular channels, because other movie channels look sharp on digital cable. I will try using an S-video connection.

I have a small ammount of noise on my HDTV broadcasts. Does anybody see the same? Is it because I am too close to the tv (9 feet) or is it a faulty dsp chip?

Unregistered guest
sanyo tv large back square on screen on some channels not always the same channel not all the time. commercials are not blacked out . iS THIS AVCHIP PROBLEM/ my nephew was playing with the remote. I cannot get into the menu either.

Anon Amous
Unregistered guest
Whar does this have to do with Samsung? Please pose this question under an appropriate thread.
Thank you

Bronze Member

Post Number: 74
Ad Ja,

The hum could be the color wheel, I can hear it spin up on my HLN617W but after that just sitting it is inaudible.

I hooked my RF from a splitter into ANT for SD (ch <=99) and use the cable box over DVI for digital and HD.

I had some of the same problems. PQ on several digital channels was poor and HBOHD was unwatchable due to signal breakup. Also several of the HD network channels had varying amounts of digital noise. What fixed my problem was buying a signal booster (if you get one make sure it goes to 1000mhz and is bi-directional).

Allegron
Unregistered guest
My solution was getting my Samsung HL-P5663W TV swapped out with a Samsung HL-P5685W (thanks to the service contract)... with no problems since. From HD2 chipset to HD2+ chipset.

My best advise for everyone... Try to use nothing less than component connections to your DLP TV. DVI or HDMI is even better, though I can't tell the difference vs. component on my Cox Cable HD Tuner. Digital connections save on converting everything from Analog to Digital.

kevin va.
Unregistered guest
samsung pc5415r rear pro. hdtv... dvd and video games no cable,
need code please help

Stevie125
Unregistered guest
Alright, I seemed to have fixed this problem! (I think) I connected the audio cables from my surround sound system directly to the TV (A/V out). Then, I just connected my cable box and DVD player to S-Video1 and component 2, respectively. I just switch to these inputs on the TV menu whenever I use them. Ever since I did this (about a month or two ago) I have experienced NO sound delays whatsoever. I think this problem only occurs when the AV cables are going from the receiver directly to the DVD player/cable, and not to the TV itself. I hope this helps. I have the HLP 4663W in case anyone was wondering. However, when I have my stereo and TV speakers on at the same time, the TV sound lags behind by about 1/2 second. But when I'm only listening to one, it seems spot on with the picture, which is strange. Not a big deal really, since I always have the TV speakers off anyway.

Username: Tonygiacobbe

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1
hello all - first time member - HLN-5065W -disastrous TV - 3 color wheels and one bulb in 18 months - now i know why Samsung changed their warranty policy to one year from two - anyway, freaked on them for 2 months and am now awaiting the HLP-5085W pedastal TV. Please tell me that my problems are going away someone?

Username: Brinstonz

Hello all - I have the HLN 5065w, I have a cox cable hd dvr box. Usually when I watch a hd channel the picture fills the whole screen and does not look compressed.I recently hooked up the dvi cable and all my hd channels were letterboxed and the images looked compressed. So I went back to the componet cables and sure enough my hd channels are still letterboxed and I lost the ability to use panorama or zoom on any channel. Any ideas on how to get my hd back to fit my whole screen?

disregard previous post, I fixed it.

Unregistered guest
Okay, you may be able to sync the audio with the delayed video, but has anyone tried playing PS2 or Xbox? The video delay makes the games unplayable. You see the game, press a button to react, but the video is so delayed that you are always 1/4 second behind. Try MVP baseball. Impossible.
I have the HLP6163 and PS2. Anyone know which models for sure solve this video delay problem?

Anonymous

Hello we are on our 4th thats right 4th 50" DLP due to clear stains in the screen is this normal and if so does it eventually go away?

Unregistered guest
Saryon...I have the HLP4663 and I have the delay problem. I only see it when trying to kick playing Madden. It's annoying as hell and I've tried to adjust my timing, but it still makes it very difficult to play.

Unfortunately, that's the least of my problems with this TV.

Username: Rocker43

Post Number: 9
I have a HLP5063, and the tech came out new year's eve to replace our "high pitched humming" color wheel, and, after he did it was quiet as can be, but the picture looked like a photograph negative, with a greenish purple cast to it....unwatchable! He thought he got a bad color wheel from samsung, so he decided to put the old one back in, and he would get another one from samsung. Well, nothing changed when he put the old one back in....picture still looks like a negative. He didn't know what it was, so he said he's have to call samsung monday and see what they say. Thinks maybe it's the projection unit.......like it had a loose connection on the board and moving things did it in or????? All I know is we don't have a watchable TV right now. Anyone have a clue as to what might have happened? Also, today I noticed the "clear stains" on the screen that a prevoius poster had mentioned. Needless to say, Samsung will be hearing from me tomorrow.....but good. Very frustrating.

Bob T
Unregistered guest
I have an HL5063W that is 2 weeks old. The stain that I think you are referring to looks like a smudge running vertically down the center of the screen. I have tried wiping, but the instructions say to put nothing on the screen, so I haven't used anything but a dry cloth. I'll be interested to see if this is a real problem. I don't notice any picture degradation.

Klaus
Unregistered guest
There are a couple of other posts here about smudges on the screen, even on other makes. What I found works on my 4674 is lighly wiping with a damp paper towel and the drying with a new clean paper towel. They vanish immediately. and are gone for 2 weeks or so. Then you need to re-do. Basically the same as dusting your CRT, but if you read some of the threads you would think it was the end of the world!

SamT
Unregistered guest
Klaus, The smudges on the screen is the end of the world, when you pay $3,000 it should be flawless. I have the HLP5063W. One my second in the last two weeks. The signal delay will drive you nuts when you have a second TV in the house on the same TV station. This TV is plagued with problems. Bottom line is this, Samsung is creating high priced junk. I am now waiting for delivery of the RCA Scenium 50" and I will never buy anything from Samsung again.

SamT
Unregistered guest
I wonder why they deliver the HLP5063W in a cardboard carton, when it surely would be more appropriate to deliver it in a dumpster. This TV is trash, plain and simple. In addition to my first one that had an all red picture and the smudges on the screen and the signal delay, and the second one has all of the same problems minus the red picture, they both had an oder like they were about to catch fire after being on for a few hours. Another item, the remote unit is the poorest design that I have ever seen. picture mode button is on the top left, picture size is on the bottom left. If you want to listen to the audio through your audio system you must use the internal mute, which by the way is not on the remote, it's on the menu screen. Try to activate the closed caption by pushing the mute button on the remote as you would on all other TVs. No way, back to the menu screen for that one too. Switching source inputs takes about 2 to 3 seconds for each input - does not sound like a big issue, but if you're going from cable (the first input option) to DVI (the last input option) the viewers will leave the room for a smoke break and not miss a thing. And this is what I've discovered in the last few days, imagine what I would find out if I had it longer, which I will not since this is going back to the dealer. And one more item, the smudges on the screen are also on all of the 50" Samsungs on the dealer's showroom floor. Samsung is trash - don't touch it at any price. And don't be fooled by the great picture quality, that's the DLP chip, not Samsung!

DLP? Sammy for me
Unregistered guest
Sam T wants a perfect world everybody!

You said, "when you pay $3,000 it should be flawless". I've paid $30k for vehicles that were a far cry from flawless. I've paid a few hundred thousand for homes that were filled with problems. That's why reputable manufacturers offer warranties, my man.
This is the real world, you know. This stuff isn't made by God. It's made by people who make occasional errors and learn from them, just like you and me. The technology is new and exciting. It's awesome and incredible. It's also evolving. No maker has the perfect solution. You haven't bought a perfect set yet and you can't recommend one either. Don't be fooled by the DLP chip. It's made by Texas instruments and it's in every brand of DLP, but picture quality is absolutely variable. Screens are different. Light engines are different too. Toshiba bulbs and ballasts were in the first Samsung HLP's and caused the three lights of death. They were replaced by Phillips parts, which seem to be very reliable. My Samsung HLP5063W has an amazing picture that surpassed Toshiba and RCA in side by side viewing after making every possible adjustment to the runners-up. It's brighter, it's clearer, it's easy enough for me to operate, and I have no complaints. If something does go awry, I have a 5 year extended warranty past the 1 year factory warranty. I wouldn't trade mine for any other. You said you paid $3000? They are available for less than $2100 today. I paid only $2500 last spring.
Go get yourself something else so you have something new to whine about Sam T, like picture quality and price!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
DLP? Sammy for me, you make a good point. I 've got to admit, I found this forum after I bought my HLP5063, and I have seen a lot of negative posts about the set. I had a noisy color whell get replaced last week, and after that, it was quiet, but something else went wrong during the repair, and now their replacing some board in front of the projector. I also have the smudges on the screen, and the guy said he would check that next when he came back with the board. Anyway, it's very frustrating, and I wish it wasn't happening, but that's life. And I also got 5 year warranty, and I'm not an extended warranty type of person usually, but it was a no brainer with this new technology. If I'm one of their guinea pigs, I'm covering my butt. I love the picture also, and I know I'm covered for anything that will wrong, and, in the end, it will all be fine.

Klaus
Unregistered guest
DLP?, Jim L:
You both are right on track! These threads are full of tales of woe and not just Sanmsung. I suspect that since the majority of sets sold to date have been Samsung due to their early adoption of the technology, that is why there are more complaints against them. I have seen green tint and purple tint issues with JVC, and Toshiba and RCA threads mention the screen smudges as well. I have the screen smudges but a gentle cleaning removes them for weeks. How often must a CRT be dusted? Roughly the same effort possibly a similar cause. My mother has a Phillips CRT projection set which if moved requires a 1 hour re-alignmenmt of the convergence so even "tried and true" technologies have their own problems. Anybody have a Thomson 20 inch analog set that starts acting whacky with picture and turn on issues after about 2 years. There are a bunch. I had the lip sync issue,especially on SD and Digital cable channels, until I replaced the STB from Brighthouse.Now all is well. I have sync issues on my 20 inch analog set, but it is hard to see from 8 feet away. As more and more TVs are incorporated into Home Theater systems, it is imperative to remember that the displayed picture and sound are a result of the sum of many parts, and not always the TV's fault.

SamT
Unregistered guest
DLP? Sammy for me. This forum is not about debates or accusations of whining, it's about personal opinions and experiences. You may be happy to put up with flaws in an expensive product, I'm not. I want what I pay for, and I don't want a product that has known problems. My Samsung has signal delays, screen smudges, color wheel problems and it smells like it's on fire. I'm glad that you got one without any issues, but read the rest of the threads about this TV, most of them have the same problems that I have. I guess in your opinion they are all whiners because they expect more for their money than what they're getting. These are personal opinions and experiences DLP Sammy for me, not whining.

DLP? Sammy for me!
Unregistered guest
I didn't say mine didn't have issues. (three lights syndrom, color wheel noise, minor video upconvert sound sync issue, all resolved) I said I have no complaints. Maybe if you had read all the posts you wouldn't have taken one home, but you did, for some reason. Most likely because the picture looks better than anyone else's you saw. Read your own post. You're not just offering an opinion. You're complaining! You're indirectly ridiculing anyone else who has purchased one. Along with many others, I'm very satisfied with Samsung DLP. I made no mistake in my purchase, nor did others, nor did you. I encourage you to work through the issues or get another one. Then, you will have the best picture too. That's really why you bought it, right? Check out what these folks had to say, then hang in or hang it up!

http://www.pricegrabber.com/rating_getprodrev.php/masterid=3029802/id_type=maste rid

Username: Jskatz

This is my first post on this but thought I would chime in. I bought a Samsung HLP4663W last week, and was immediately dissapointed by the fact that when I watched DVDs, the sound from my surround sound system was ahead of the video feed by a short but very noticeable amount of time (1/4 of a second or so I would guess). I confirmed this fact by running the sound directly to the TV, in addition to the receiver for surround sound. Sure enough when playing both audio feeds at the same time, there was a very noticeable echo effect (sounded like a scene from a movie when they use a similar effect if someone is drunk or something like that...) My suspision was that this might have been due to an old DVD player and the composite (yellow) cord that I was using to connect the DVD to the Samsung DLP. I did not have a similar video lag issue while watching TV.

So yesterday I bought a new DVD player with progressive scan and component video out (Sony DVP-NS575P). I was thinking about going all the way to a DVD player with upconversion and HDMI connections, but figured I would try component first. Anyway long story short, this seemed to do the trip. When I hooked the new DVD player to the receiver and TV and played both audio at the same time, voila...no echo! So I don't know what caused this to work...progressive scan, component connection or just a different DVD player, but seems to have helped so I'm happy.

So my advice is if you are having a similar audio/video sync issue, try a different DVD player with a better connection and hope for the best.

The Viper
Unregistered guest
Jonathan,

I had the same exact problem with the same TV. All you have to do to fix the echo is to turn the TV speakers off. (Go to the sound menu and turn Internal Mute On). Also, be sure to have your audio cables going from your reciever to "A/V Out" on your TV. But it looks like you have everything fixed. :-)

Unregistered guest
***ATTENTION SONY / MICROSOFT FIX THE ISSUE NOW! Will playstation 3 or xbox 2 work with the dlp without a delay? maybe it will have hdmi out? using blu-ray dics / hd-dvds...or a toggle switch for the dlp's...who's to know what the future will hold.. because currently right now im a huge video game fan... and im playing them on my crt... id rather play them on my HLP5085W. But due to delay issues im furious... as for the smudge thing on light backgrounds they appear, 'monster screen cleaning kit took emm out with some hard scrubbin'... for 20 bucks.. its worth it. As for a rumor to fix the issue.. of connecting it with y pb pr, into a reciever then back out to the TV... that doesn't work... good game to see how bad the issue is "Hot shots golf" where you use power / and accuracy.... yay! great no burn in issues from video games... who cares though if you can't play them on the set! Its a great technology with a huge flaw.

Henry S.
Unregistered guest
To play or not to play:

Get the component cables for whatever system you have and enable progressive scan mode. The delay SHOULD go away. I have heard of others who experience no delay when playing their games in progressive scan. The thing is, not all games support it but most of the good ones do. As for those smudges, does the screen cleaning kit permenantly get rid of those? That would be great and it would save me a call to Samsung.

Blahbalhbalh
Unregistered guest
I have an HLP5663W
I have a samsung DVD connected, my Xbox and gamecube connected, and my computer connected.

No issues but 1, and I dont think its the TV.

This TV is outstanding, no issues at all.

Anonymous

Regarding the dark smudging on the Samsung DLP Screen......I bought the 50" in July 2004, it had the smudging and my diagnosis was the screen was bad because I could go up and press on those spots and the smudging would go away for a while, then come back. Also, the smudging would go away for the most part after watching the unit for about 1 hour. I convinced Samsung to replace with the new 50" model (the one currently on the market). I have the same issue. Samsung corporate acknowledges they have a screen issue and they are supposed to replace it this week for me. Other than this, I love the TV. No other issues. Good luck!

daisuu
Unregistered guest
Can Anyone please help!!
Ive Got A Samsung sp42-w5hfx Rear veiw Projector TV
I Turned it off and when i turned it back on later i have green and puple haze picture.
Any advice on this would be great thanx

FYI
Unregistered guest
I'd cycle it off and on a few times. See what happens. Sometimes it clears up something like that. Otherwise, it's service time.

Bigelow
Unregistered guest
DLP vs LCD vd Plasma

I'm in the market for a TV but I am confused over the pros and cons of all 3 technologies. Would anyone be kind enough to share their experience in making the decision to go with DLP?

Much appreciated.

Post Reader
Unregistered guest
Read this thread and associated links. You can skip the first two posting. No plasma info, though.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/120383.html

Post Reader
Unregistered guest
I think this is a great informative link. It's quite a bit of reading, but for those who want an unbiased in depth technical assessment of display technologies, it fits the bill.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1747573,00.asp

Bronze Member
Username: Gnnr

NJ USA

Post Number: 61
I don't have much time in with my Xbox yet, but I have been playing UT2K4 and several other twitchy games on my laptop via the PC connection and there is no delay at all.

daisuu
Unregistered guest
Does anybody know what causes the green and purple haze on a samsumsung 42 inch rear view.
Could it be the bulbs if so are they easy to fit yourself and how much?
thanx

daisuu
Unregistered guest
Does anybody know what causes the green and purple haze on a samsung 42 inch rear view.
Could it be the bulbs if so are they easy to fit yourself and how much?
thanx

Klaus
Unregistered guest
What is the model and type of set (crt, lcd, dlp).
Is it present on all signals (standard cable, digital cable, HD cable, DVDs).
It sounds off the cuff to be weak signal or possibly convergence issues.

PFINNEY
Unregistered guest
Right now I have the 50 inch DLP from Samsung.
I have HDTV through Cox communications.
My HD Channels are coming through with silver shadow boxes at top and bottom. The only way to get rid of them is to change the aspect to Zoom 1. But this means I have to continually change from Widescreen to Zoom 1 when going from HD to digital programming. Can anyone help?

FYI
Unregistered guest
The set top box that Cox provides has a menu to change the feed through resolution format. Call Cox for menu access instructions on your model.

ExSamsungcustomer
Unregistered guest
WARNING- STAY AWAY FROM SAMSUNG DLPs! Read the message boards and learn about A/V out-of-sync, screetching color wheels, screen smudges, & 3 lights of death. Check out www.bbb.org and find out how Samsung reacts to customer complaints (unsatisfactory record).

These tvs are trash. Many complaints across multiple message boards. Don't cause yourself grief by buying one of these and going through what many have experienced. Don't just "deal with it". Call Samsung Consumer Affairs at 1-800-747-5618. Fill out an online complaint at BBB.org. What's next - small claims court/class-action. We'll see......

FYI
Unregistered guest
Doom and gloom...oh my!

This person spent their time and energy b1tching and complaining instead of resolving some petty issues through the warranty. Now, they're ready to call the lawyers! All HD RPTV's are "new inventions". They all have issues. Some folks are patient and some folks are not. Some keep swapping sets out hoping for a "perfect" one. It's not a perfect world and some folks just can't "deal with it".

My Samsung HLP5063W had a damaged lamp during shipping. It went out the first month. (three lights) The Samsung factory warranty service was exceptional. A technician arrived in 2 days and replaced the lamp. My color wheel developed a slight high pitched sound during the fifth month. The Samsung people were aware of the issue and on the 3rd day after calling, the same technician brought out a newly designed "air bearing" color wheel for my set. Everything has been fine for almost a year now. The picture is fabulous, I mean absolutely incredible, which is why I chose Samsung. I have a 5 year extended warranty and I'm not sweating any repair.

***WARNING*** STAY AWAY FROM CRANKY, ANGRY, IMPATIENT, STRESSED-OUT PEOPLE!

Username: Dank

Mission Viejo,, CA

Post Number: 5
PFINNEY...
Push "settings" on your cable remote, and then the button for "more settings" (the yellow triangle, I think). Then go to "output". You can choose your HD output signal and the type of image you want to see on non-widescreen programs.

PFINNEY
Unregistered guest
Thanks Dank I ll give it a try tonite. Appreciate the tip.

Klaus
Unregistered guest
pfinney:
In your cable box look for an option to pass through the signals. This will allow your samsung to upconvert (or down convert 1080i) to the native 720
P in the set. I have my 8300HD box set to 4:3 not widescreen and passthrough. I am hooked via component cables. HD and SD scale automatically to full screen or 4:3. If the SD is widescreen letterbox then I use the zoom1 on the STB to fill the screen

pfinney
Unregistered guest
Klaus

thanks I am currently hooked up through component cables. I currently have SD set to fill the screen and HD has the letterbox. I am using zoom1 to fill the screen. I was hoping I just knew a way to get both to come in at full screen without having to switch back and forth - as my wife hardly uses the HD channels and nearly use them exclusively

giver111
Unregistered guest
hey klaus thats some very handy info, I had a question regarding one of those settings. I have the samsung dlp and I have component cables running from the cable box to it and another set of component cables running to the dvd/receiver. I also have a digital audio line running from the cable box to the dvd/receiver. Do I leave the cable box setting at 1080i or down convert to 720?

giver111
Unregistered guest
hey klaus thats some very handy info, I had a question regarding one of those settings. I have the samsung dlp and I have component cables running from the cable box to it and another set of component cables running to the dvd/receiver. I also have a digital audio line running from the cable box to the dvd/receiver. Do I leave the cable box setting at 1080i or down convert to 720?

Klaus
Unregistered guest
Giver:
If you have the option, set your cable box to pass through. That will send all Hd content through at 720 or 1080, and 480i through as such. The tv will then upconvert the 480i with probably better electronics than the cable box, and will downconvert 1080 to native 720 of the tv. If possible try leaving DNie and digital noise reduction off as well in the tv.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
Hey Klaus, I have an RCA box that doesn't give me the option to let it pass through, so is it best to leave it on 1080i? Would it be beneficial to switch to another box that does have that option? Is the picture considerably better? Thanks in advance.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
Klaus, that's an RCA Satellite box,not cable, if that makes any difference. Thanks

Klaus
Unregistered guest
Jim:
I would try both 720 and 1080 for a while. I have no experience with the satellite and HD although I have had both dish and direct in the past.The 480 i passthrough is a big help on cable analog channels which are affected by signal strength, which the digital satellite signals aren't. Also try leaving off the DNie and digital noise reduction, and try knocking the sharpness way back. All these devices artificially work on image sharpness and edge enhancement which can really bollux up the interpolated upconverted signals.

Username: Jknight118

I am new to this site, but I am returning my sammy 50" dlp today because of the delay with video games. Anybody know of a dlp that does not have the delay when playing video games? Any help appreciated.

Curious1
Unregistered guest
Were you using component cables with progressive scan activated on your gamebox?

I am using component cables with the ps2. but the ps2 does not have a progressive scan mode it is only rgb or component. I was looking at the toshiba and you say no delay at all

Post Number: 3
Anybody esle out there knows if the toshiba hm94 has game mode I checked the specs and it does not say

Username: Kdog044

I know the Toshiba HMX94 series has a game mode to prevent the delay for video games. I believe the HM94 series has this as well.

Jason,

It has been confirmed on another forum that the HM94 series (i.e.,52,62, etc) does have the game mode option like the HMX series.

Devils2627
Unregistered guest
I have a 61 inch DLP, model # HLP6163 and i have a PS2 connected with component cables and there is a delay. Is there anything i can do to change this?? please help, thanks

Mystic Man 007
Unregistered guest
Devils2627:

Try turning on progressive scan mode if the game you are playing supports it. The delay will only go away on games that run in progressive scan.

Devils2627
Unregistered guest
how do i know if a game runs in progressive scan?

finneyd
Unregistered guest
Anyone hear about the upgrade available for DLP's this summer? I heard a rumor at a trade show and want to know more.
Cost, which DLP's will be upgradable, self-installed, where to get the new upgrade?

FYI
Unregistered guest
Never heard of it! Doesn't sound practical!

Some new models are being introduced this summer or fall with the upgraded xHD3 chip.

Maybe that's what you heard.

bryman
Unregistered guest
Hey all, I got a HL-P5063W delivered on Sunday and noticed the lag with composites from my PS2. It was horrible, about 1/4-1/2 second. I did some reading here and other places and changed the cable to Sony components. I would say this changed the lag to about 1/8th second. This doesn't seem like much, but it is noticeable especially when you have to time your button presses precisely (like blocking in Onimusha3). So, I am going to return it to Best Buy. I too am interested in any 50ish TV that will work with PS2 with no delay. I am going to do an exchange so I need to find out ASAP! Thanks for all the info here!

FYI
Unregistered guest
Well...I hope you bought the Sammy for the incredible unmatched picture quality. I wouldn't trade my 5063 for anything. I guess you activated progressive scan mode on the PS2. The 74 and 85 series are the ones gamers don't complain about. If you're fed up with Sammy, I here the Toshi has a "game mode" setting. BB will let you hook up your PS2 for a trial run.

Post Number: 10
From the Toshiba HMX94 manual (I know BB doesn't have this set but I believe they carry the HM94 which also has this):

You can use the Game Mode feature for shorter frame delays when playing a video game requiring split-timing between the on-screen display and input from the controller (such as creation and high action games).

It also has a Game Timer if you want to limit your kid's playing time.

bryman
Unregistered guest
Thanks, I looked into the HM94 but unfortunately BB only carries the HM84. I am kind of dependent on the 24 months 0% financing I got on this deal, so I think I have to stick with something Best Buy carries. Do the CRT HDTVs also have this lag? Thanks

bryman
Unregistered guest
Thanks, I looked into the HM94 but unfortunately BB only carries the HM84. I am kind of dependent on the 24 months 0% financing I got on this deal, so I think I have to stick with something Best Buy carries. Do the CRT (non projection) HDTVs also have this lag? Thanks

Samstung
Unregistered guest
bryman,

I had two Samsung HL-P5063Ws from Best Buy and I had the same delay problem with both of them. Plus other issues. There wasn't much that I liked about the Samsung. After returning both of them I bought an RCA HD50LPW162. I love everything about this TV. No delay issues and it has the HD2+ chip instead of the HD3 as in the Samsung. And everyone knows the HD2+ out performs the HD3. I can't speak for gaming since I don't do this, but for all other aspects of comparison, in my opinion, the RCA out performs the Samsung by miles. And it's about $300 less. I paid $2,199 for the RCA at Best Buy.

Saw this!
Unregistered guest
Why trade one resolvable problem for another.

Posted on Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 11:17 am:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Just wondering if anyone here besides me has measured the noise level from their DLP TV's fan with an SPL meter? I think that my new RCA TV's fan is pretty loud but it doesn't seem to bother my wife. Anyway, it measures 50-52 db right next to the vents on the side of the TV. Anyone else got any measurments to share?"

I have the Samsung HLN5065w1 with cox cable. I was having a delay on some of my analog channels.I changed one of the settings on my cable box to 480p from 480i and the delay went away.

Adam Bodd
Unregistered guest
Hi All
OK heres my Problem(s)

Ok i knew goin in that there might be a problem with the samsung tv 4663w but it had more pros than cons.
Anyway started hearing the buzzing of the color wheel after 3 months called em up gave me the number of service guy told him the problem said it was an easy fix.
ordered the new one , 4 days later he installed it. and bang all the colors are messed up blue was now pink . first time the guy had seen that problem after replacing a dozen of them in different t.v.s.

sooo he took the old wheel and the new one no tv for a bit calls up 4 days later got another 1 next day installs it at first glance it looks ok but areas that are dark have like a green purple tinge to it even in black and white movies. He's gonna look into it.
Any ideas

Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Samsungtech

Post Number: 11
what is the model number? is it an HLN? or HLP series?

Adam Bodd
Unregistered guest
Hi All
OK heres my Problem(s)
Sorry tv is HLP4663WX/XAC

Ok i knew goin in that there might be a problem with the samsung tv 4663w but it had more pros than
cons.
Anyway started hearing the buzzing of the color wheel after 3 months called em up gave me the
number of service guy told him the problem said it was an easy fix.
ordered the new one , 4 days later he installed it. and bang all the colors are messed up blue was
now pink . first time the guy had seen that problem after replacing a dozen of them in different t.v.s.

sooo he took the old wheel and the new one no tv for a bit calls up 4 days later got another 1 next day
installs it at first glance it looks ok but areas that are dark have like a green purple tinge to it even in
black and white movies. He's gonna look into it.
Any ideas

Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Samsungtech

Post Number: 13
After replacing the color wheel in that particular model he would needs to input and calibrate the new "CCA" values "color coordination values". They should have come printed on a sticker with the color wheel. If he didn't do this then you will have all sorts of problems with the color mixing. It will be more noticeble on the dark shade colors.

Anonymous

can anyone tell me if u can haggle the price of a samsung like u do with the purchase of a car

FYI
Unregistered guest
From a brick and mortar store you can negotiate the price of the set, the delivery, and any extended warranty.

You will find that online warehouses already discount significantly from manufacturer's suggested retail prices and thus won't move from their pricing.

I've also observed that a brick and mortar store won't price-match an online price, though they may discount to some degree.

Anonymous

fyi

how much though 400, 1k
any idea of how hard i should go at them

i'm afraid to order online after reading all the horror stories

FYI
Unregistered guest
What horror stories?
What model?
Which store?
Free delivery?
Extended warranty?