New Samsung DLP questions about resolution

Username: Kaotik78

Post Number: 1
Hi all. Last week my wife had a bug to get rid of my sony kv32v42 crt tv and get a samsung widescreen. We ended up going with the hl-p5063 tv. This past weekend I went out and bought a hdtv dvd player by samsung the dvd-hd850. Now, since I have always been a spec freak I went against her words of "don't you go comparing this model to the new model" Sure enough I did. Only found two things, one the cinema smooth engine is upgraded, and the second one which is the reason for this post, is the resolution. The newer samsung 50" has a resolution of 1920x1080 and the set I have is 1280x720. Now, not knowing I had the dvd player set to 1080i output and we watched little nemo, it was fantastic. My question is should I set the dvd player to 720p since it fit's the resolution better on my tv? Also not to complicate things but should I have waited and gotten the newer model? I know that is a "loaded" question but being the spec freak that I am I feel that I don't have the best... even though next year there will be something better... Just sorta feel like I screwed myself...

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 137
You should set your DVD player to 720P because that's the "native" format, meaning only, resolution that your set displays. While it will accept any resolution format, it will always scale it to 720P.

I think the P5063 is a fantastic set. I had mine for a year before swapping it out for an R5067, which is yet another 720P with a different design and light engine. I probably won't jump on a 1080P for another year or two when the prices drop. Besides, all HD content today is broadcasted in either 720P or 1080I. There is no 1080P content to match the 1080P display. Now, some will tell you that 1080I has the same lines of resolution as 1080P only it's scanned or drawn different. That's true. However, not all HD programming is 1080I. Programs that are 720P will be scaled to 1080P on those new sets just like the DVD players' 480P is scaled to 720P today.

What does all this mean, anyway?

In my opinion, it's all about what size of display at what resolution, watching from what distance is pleasing me. The step from analog 4:3 NTSC standard definition to HD 720P was so tremendous on a 50 inch screen from 10 feet away that I'm still in awe over it. If I had a 61 inch or larger display I might get some benefit from more lines of resolution. I don't think that scaling standard definition or DVDs' 480P to that size is going to be very good, though, even with 1080P lines. We all have to watch standard def for a while longer during this transition period. Smaller displays handle it better. I will admit that I'm watching less and less standard def, especially since networks are broadcasting EDTV with some primetime HD thrown in now and then.

Did you screw yourself? No way! You saved a lot of money. You have a good size for the transition period. You have the best HD format (720P) for handling fast motion scenes. That's why there are 10 times as many native 720P displays than native 1080I displays, which are mostly rear projection CRT or LCD.

If you don't have cable, you owe it to yourself to look into buying a Samsung Direct TV HD/Terrestrial SIR TS360 receiver. It combines the free off-air digital networks with the DTV programming in the same guide and a single output.

Anonymous

I saw these posts on another thread.

Edited!

Pilot53
Username: Pilot53

Post Number: 6

Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 06:13 pm:

I am still not sure if getting a 1080P is the way to go now. Based upon everything I have read, 720P and 1080i is about as good as what is going to be broadcast for a while, plus the HD-DVD and Blue Ray conflicts, makes me almost change my mind and get the 720P instead. Wait a few years until 1080P is more commonly broadcast and available, and then buy a 1080P set. By then, the price will come down on them too.

Pilot53

Mr. Lynch
Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle , WA

Post Number: 769

Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 06:16 pm:
Pilot53-

That's been my plan. When I see a steady flow of 1080p content, then I'll step up. Until then 720p is more than enough to satisfy.

Bronze Member
Username: Jimkw

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 36
FYI, why did you go from the HLP-5063 to the HLR-5067, and what is the price difference? I think you can pick up the HLP fairly inexpensive right now, but I see the HLR for around $2,200. Is it worth an extra $200-300 for the HLR vs. the HLP?

Bronze Member
Username: Helpful_smurf

Post Number: 29
Two Words. Contrast Ratio.
The 67 seires SMOKES the 63s in this department with up to 2500:1 as opposed to 1000:1 on the 63s. Makes a HUGE difference in the "snap" factor when watching HD, that almost 3d effect you get that makes your jaw drop. It's what makes Plasma such an attractive picture (though I'd venture the blacks on a DLP are darker and truer).

Also the 67 sereis has a much improved light engine (That sucker is BRIGHT! The only set I've ever seen that when a headlight or the sun flashes on the screen it's actually almost painful to look directly into it) and the new color wheel along with a new design color wheel bearing which is much quieter. All the design improvements they made over the course of a year's worth of painful warranty repairs on the 63 series and innovations from last year's "Kirk" pedestal model Samsungs are included in the 67 series along with onboard tuner AND cable card capability. Definitely worth the extra money!!!

HS

Bronze Member

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 37
I have a feeling you did not make Shaun a happy camper. Shaun, if I was you I would try to return the one you bought and pay the difference for the HL-R5067. Of course that is based entirely on what I read here. In the store the picture looks identical to me.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 138
I agree with everything HS said.

I think this is the best price around.

[link removed]

The price for a new P5063 seems relatively close to the R67.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?sort_type=price&masterid=3029802& isbn=&pid=

Lots of refurbed 63's out there for $1100 less than I paid last year.

Post Number: 2
Too late, the boxes were thrown away already. Wife probably figured out what I was planning on doing and put a stop to that. Don't know if circuit city would take a open box return, probably loose even more money on it. At the time we saw this 63 unit and the 67 unit in the stores. Couldn't tell the difference till I asked, and was told about the cable card, and a better light engine. Both of us couldn't tell the difference in the store, and there may be a difference, but we did not see it. The 63 we got at circuit city was 2k and we got a glass/aluminum stand to go with it. Overall im very happy now. Just wish I could stop comparing and searching all the latest spec's and technology that's out there in the new dlp's then scheaming to get a newer one... Just gotta sit back and enjoy what I have.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
Circuit City does take open box returns, it's pretty routine in the business to do so. Check your reciept about restocking fees. I do know Best Buy does not charge them (though sometimes I wish we did!) but am unsure on CCs policy on returns. We routinely get returned TVs with no box and no manual or even the remote and the customers get full refunds, especially if they are exchanging up they hardly even look at it. We recently had some dimbulb return a plasma minus the stand, remote, manual and the freaking power cord. I think they put a hold on the return until he at least comes up with the power cord and stand, the other stuff we can replace with universal remote and PDF file for the manual.

The things I see,

HS

Bronze Member

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 42
I can't imagine not having the box being a big deal. The one I just bought from Sears would not fit in my car while in the box. They took it out of the box and put the TV in the back. I made sure I had everything out of the box and they threw the box away.

Now, I can imagine the wife not letting you spend more money being a big deal. If you are happy with what you got stick with it. My daughter and her boyfriend have had a Samsung DLP for almost two years and they have had no problems and it gets a great picture.

Post Number: 3
I was told last night to drop it. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice tv, I love it actually. Im keeping it. I could spend countless hours of my time comparing and analyzing stats but for what, the bottom line is the tv looks great, I like the picture. It's a done deal.

Post Number: 4
Crimeny! Not to go off topic on a post I already started with but today while hooking up my pc to my new DLP, I have a white background on my desktop. I could see all sort's of streaks/smudges on the back of the screen. I could not seem to clean them off. I looked on samsung's website on the matter, and they say they can have a service tech come out to look at it. My question/concern/worry is they will replace the screen and the screen will either be a remanufactured or sub par screen, or not fix the issue at all. Im letting the tv run for a while tonight to see if it burns off? Mabye moisture? If not what are my options??? Helpfull smurf if you suggest the new 67 series... lol...

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 147
Smurf would be right...
This would be a good excuse to make the store swap for a 67 or 68.

If not:

Use the 1-800 SAMSUNG number.
Prompts are 2 then 1 then 3 then 1.

No, they will bring out a new screen.
It's not moisture.

They will make it right for you.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
Yup, one of the many problems of the 63 series. Static electricity build up causes the two layers of the screen to touch causing the smudges. Next will be your color wheel bearing wearing out and squeaking or whining. Somewhere in there your original lamp will die and have to be replaced with a Philips bulb. I would never advise you to trade up to the 67 series that has all these problems addressed right out of the box AND has a higher contrast ratio to boot.

Stick with that 63, You are going to take more $hit from your wife every time a new problem pops up and in time she'll say that Samsung tvs are no good. You could head off all that trouble by trading up to a 67 before your 30 day return privelege expires........

Genuinely trying to be helpful.......

Post Number: 5
Ok, say I was able to trade up, what problems would I be getting into with the 67 series? Also could you elaborate on the Philips bulb issue? Also, if the color wheel bearing is wearing out this fast... that just doesn't seem right, my car bearings have lasted longer..

Post Number: 6
One more question, is the bearing and screen issue just a problem for my model and previous models or is it an ongoing issue?

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 151
shaun,

The issues with your present 63 model have either already been addressed on recent production line releases or, as with your screen issue, can be resolved through factory warranty service. Summer of 04 was when the Toshi lamp issue was in full swing. A Phillips replacement was the fix for the so called "three lights of death". All models after Sept. 04 have Phillips lamps, yours included I'm sure. There were a few whining color wheels too. Most surfaced during the first 6 months. Samsung has sinced introduced an "air bearing frictionless" color wheel, which may or may not be in your 63, but has been installed in all "R" models. The screen deal is very strange. It's usually blotches located more along the sides than the streaks you described. As Smurf stated, it's the result of a two layered screen getting together from static, humidity or a warped installation.

I have the newer R67 and it's very nice. It's really too new to have many reviews. I can say that it has a very brilliant picture. As Smurf has stated, it has a sharp "snap" factor with HD. All issues of the 63 were resolved with the "R" model, but for the exception of an occasional lip sync issue, which may actually be source related.

Unless there was a substantial price break on the 63, I'd say the R67 would be the more refined set. The R68 with the 1080P chip would be the more expensive top of the line choice.

All that said, I enjoyed my 63 greatly and would not have swapped, except for the fact that the opportunity presented itself.

Post Number: 7
Ok,
I saw the lamp code sticker on the side of my unit it has a (p) at the end, im assuming Philips. Now basically before my time runs out. What do I say to the people at circuit city? For starters, I had to borrow a truck to bring it home, now im thinking if I buy the new samsung in the store, then schedule for delivery, the delivery guys can take the other unit back.. makes sense, probably won't go down that way. And one more thing, can you hook up a computer to the R67 series, my 63W can take DVI or VGA. Not a terribly big deal really just curious. Also do you think if I call samsung and give them the model # of my unit they could tell me if it has the air bearing?? And I should have rephrased what I said earlier, they are streaks/smudges on the left side of the screen. ugh, workin myself up into a frenzy...

stan jones
Unregistered guest
I have the HL-P5674, where does it fit in with the hl-r--63 and67 series?
I have had the set since Dec. and I really enjoy it, hdnet etc looks incredible.

Post Number: 8
oh and one more question. Since you guys know so much about these rigs. If my 63 series has a multi layer screen, and the r67 only has one, which is more durable? Meaning, does the r67 not have a protective screen, is it just a piece of plastic that light reflects on to show the picture? I did call circuit city, they did say no problem. This friday after work Im probably going to go over there and do the swap... just need these last few questions answered, to make sure after I swap I will be all set.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
Just do the swap, you are going to be glad you did. The 67 is better across the board and you have a great excuse to do the trade now.

QB

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 161
shaun.

The R67 has the pc monitor connection.
It doesn't have a DVI, but does have an HDMI port.
The R67 has a better double layer screen.
I'm sure you're going to like it.

stan jones,

Your 74 is a great set. It has an HD2+ (larger .85") chip than the 63's and 67's, which have the HD3 chip. (.55") The 74's have had very few if any complaints on this forum.

Post Number: 9
Ok, I swapped out my 63 for the 67. Paid an extra 700 bucks for it. It comes in this wedesday. FYI, I called samsung just to ask about the screen, they said that the 67 has a single screen as opposed to a dual. Now weather this is good or not I don't know. I hope I did the right thing for an extra 700 bucks. And when I told my wife she just said "ok, that's fine".... go figure...

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 164
It may be a single composite piece, but it's layered.

You're going to like it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
Amen. You made a good choice on that swap.

HS

M Hines
Unregistered guest
After reading these posts, there was a brief mention of the newer models with the 1080p. I had finally narrowed my choice of a new tv to the hlr6167 and then in the last couple of days came across these new models with the 1080P. I understand there will always be newer models coming out, I am just trying to see if there are any convincing arguments to spend an extra $1700. Prices coming from [link removed] for the HLR6167 ($2237) vs HLR6178 ($3999). The only differences I could see on paper was the contrast ratio being 2500:1 vs 10000:1 and the pixel count from 1280,720p to 1920,1080p.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 174
Well....isn't that the $1700 question?

If money is something you have plenty of, the cutting edge is an excellent choice.

Unless you're stuck on the 61 size, I think this 56 is a real good buy right now.

http://www.preferredphoto.com/product.asp?id=sahlr5668w&l=DigitalSaver&ds_ref_ke y=CAJHFGCOBCOBCDIDJD

Convincing arguments? I want a set that progressively scans these 1080I broadcasts so I can have the absolute best HD picture on the planet. How about a little loan?

M Hines
Unregistered guest
I read one of these posts that said it is recommended that you sit at least a certain distance from a tv in order to see the best picture depending on the tv size. Does anyone know those recommended distances?

Username: Maulrat

Phoenix

Post Number: 4
I downloaded the manual for the hlrxxx7 series off of Samsungs website... In that they state these distances to sit back from your tv:

46" screen at least 5.6 feet
50" screen at least 5.9 feet
56" screen at least 6.6 feet
61" screen at least 7.2 feet

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 176
With ATSC digital and true HD formats the distance is not an issue at all. Screen size doesn't matter because the picture quality is there.

When scaling up low level resolutions, such as standard definition, it's obviously better if you can get back away from it. The 46" to 56" 720P RPTV's look pretty good from 8 to 10 feet. Any larger screen size and you want to get further back so your not so upset about the quality. Cable television standard def is the worst and most inconsistant followed by VCR resolutions, then the compression artifacts of standard def sat signals.
These sets scale up, so, garbage in garbage out.

Unfortunately, we all have to put up with standard definition from several signal sources a while longer, though I find myself watching less and less of it lately by choice. It seems the FCC has pushed out the deadline for 100% digital from 2006 to 2009 making the painful transition even longer.

I C snow
Unregistered guest
I guess Samsung didn't take standard def into consideration when they came up with those distances.

Unregistered guest
Are you sure about that deadline? Last I heard on 7/31/05 that a proposal was put in place to extend it to 2009 back in February of 2005, but it had not passed Congress. Here is a link to HDMagazine that may shed some more light on this.
http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/articles/2005/07/eds_view_-_the.php

I have also been doing my fair share of research and have been waiting 4 months until the 1080P's came out. I cannot say I am particularly impressed. I spoke with someone at Frye's and they said that in order to get the 1080p quality I would need to by a 1,300.00 upconverter but they haven't come out yet. They are waiting on a Samsung rep to outfit their display model with one. I am starting to think that the 67 series might be the one for me. I can get a new HLR5667 for 2,300.00 or a HLR6167 for 2,550.00 shipped to my door from various East coast warehouses. Any thoughts?

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 182
"Are you sure about that deadline?"

No, but it seems they are being forced to push it out no matter what. The FCC has already granted 100's of extentions to broadcasters who have already missed their mandate. For many, it's their second (6 month) extention. Those who have not complied or even filed for an extention are not being fined. Cable operators are crying about the slow rollout of CableCard technology. Now, they promise to improve it for consumers if given more time. There are too many entities involved to get them all on the same digital page by 2006 as was previously proposed.

If you're not impressed by 1080P it's because you haven't seen it. I like Fryes, but you have been misinformed about 1080P availability. A 1080I signal has all the lines of resolution that a 1080P signal has. It's just broadcasted in an "interlaced" scan method. A 1080P set will receive and convert a 1080I signal to the set's native 1080 progressive scan format.

What's absurd about the Fryes information is that an upconverted or originating 1080P signal connot be processed by any set's DVI, HDMI, or component inputs. Only the ATSC tuner input can process an originating 1080P off-air broadcasted signal. This information is available on Samsung's website. That fellow you spoke with is a lost ball.

The 67's are great sets. I have an R5067. If I had the cash I'd be getting this one, though.

http://www.preferredphoto.com/product.asp?id=sahlr5668w&l=DigitalSaver&ds_ref_ke y=CAJHFGCOBCOBCDIDJD

It was $2856.95 a few days ago, but keeps going up.
The 68's and 78's have the exact same internal specs.

bavakian
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the info. I thought I was going crazy on the pricing too!. It went up 200-300 in 1 week!

Unregistered guest
Fantastic information here. I am making the decision today between HLP vs. HLR. I am looking at the Samsung - HL-R6178W over the less costly Samsung - HL-R6167W. Obviously the difference is the native resolution. I have connections (sounds fishy). I can get the 6167 for 2500 delivered or the 6178 for 3300 delivered. Question: Is there really a big difference between the two?

Bronze Member

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 57
I was really tempted to say the difference between 6167 and 6178 is 11, but nobody really likes humor on these boards so I decided to not say that.

I'm no expert by any means and there are quite a few on this board that know quite a bit and you will want to see their responses. But the big difference is that the 6178 has the 1080P chip which is the latest and geatest. The problem is that you probably won't see broadcasts that will take advantage of the 1080P for a few years. I'm not sure I would ever see the difference with the naked eye, but I don't have the best eyesight to say the least.

You need to ask yourself if spending an extra $800 is worth it to you to have the latest and greatest? Looking at them in the store, you will probably see no difference whatsoever due to the signal source.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 196
JimKW,

There is another post where it has been extensively discussed that a 1080I signal, which many networks already broadcast, is a 1080P signal. The only difference is that it's transmitted in an interlaced scanning method. The new 1080P sets will convert a 1080I signal to 1080P by changing the scanning method to progressive. All the data is there. The benefits will be instantly realized. Some owners are already saying it's like a window on reality.

bavakian
Unregistered guest
Any ideas where someone could go to in the Dallas area to view this? I would like to see the 1080P technology on display so I can better determine the differences. I am hoping to get something before football season starts.

BoredinBozeman
Unregistered guest
What is the best cable/satellite service to use with a HD TV?

BoredinBozeman
Unregistered guest
My 5667 just got delivered and I can't remember if it's better to route the sound through the TV to the receiver or directly into the receiver. Can someone help me? Is one method likely to increase the possibility of lag?

Bronze Member

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 59
I personally route one of the outputs directly to the TV and another one directly to the Receiver. I never route from the cable/satelite through the TV to the receiver. I do like to listen to the TV w/o the receiver for most regular TV, but some things (like movies or football) I want to listen through the receiver.

bavakian
Unregistered guest
I don't understand why the '78 series is priced around 1,000 more than the '68 series if they have the same internal specs. Samsung couldn't tell me the difference when I called yesterday and they couldn't tell me the MSRP on the 6178. The MSRP on the 6168 is 4,700 but they can be found for around 3,400 plus freight. Does anyone know what the 1,400 difference is? PreferredPhoto(see FYI's link dated 8/4/05) has the 6168 for 3,600 and the 6178 for 5,000. I am also trying to find a store in the Dallas area where I can see both of these models side by side. Maybe the 6167 for 2,300 is the way to go for now until the prices drop. Thanks!

Username: Kainan

Post Number: 3
bavakian,

Tweeter on 75 and Park (is it Park or Parker. The one towards downtown) is supposed to have thiers in store this week. I went this past weekend and they didn't have them yet. Best Buy in Plano also said they should have theirs like this week or next (who knows about them though?). My biggest problem with all of this has been the gaming lag issue. I have two buddies who play and have never noticed lag with their Samsung DLPs (one has the 63 and one has the 67 I believe) but tons of people are complaining about the lag in games and lip sync issue with movies and other video.
The price difference between the 68 and 78 is cosmetic only. The 68 has the speaker seperated from the TV with what looks like about a 1/2 to 3/4" gap between the set and the speaker on the bottom. The 78 is just flat from the TV screen all the way down to the speakers. That's it! Not a big enough deal for me to pay more.

gusam
Unregistered guest
i thought the difference between the 68 and 78 series was the inclusion of a 3:2 pulldown upconversion to 1080p on all inputs, including coponent and tuner. According to the press release i read even analogue is increased in observed resolution up to 6 times.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 211
There is no difference in 1080P sets except the external cabinet design per the Samsung website.

This info is found in the Adobe "Spec Sheets"

The 78's are available in 50 and 56 inch screens.
The 68's add the 61 and 67 inch screens.

poolman
Unregistered guest
idont know what to buy im confused. 67, 68, 78 money isnt my concerne best picture is can i get some help

Bronze Member
Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 99
Buy a Cheap RPTV and Wait a few years.

That is the best advice you will get here.

Anonymous

Not hardly!

That's foolish advice.

Go away bonghead!

Silver Member
Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 105
Oops I forgot....."return it" and "Thats not right" /or "good luck" Theres the help I see here.

No Credibility, bong
Unregistered guest
Is dinner over?

I see the CRT zealot has returned.

CRT's suck!

Unregistered guest
I am looking at getting a 46" DLP and I saw the Samsung HLR 4667W which I can get for just over $2000. I saw on-line I could get the HLP 4667W for about $500 less. I know one is a 2004 model and the other 2005, but is there that much difference in the models? Appreciate any input.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 258
The "R" has an impoved faster switching chip and a 5th generation light engine. It also has an air bearing frictionless color wheel and 2500:1 contrast ratio. You don't have to pay any more for the newer version, either. They run about $1800 or less delivered. No tax.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?masterid=7785916&search=hlr4667

CaptStu
Unregistered guest
FYI, thanks for the info. I have a friend who is looking for a similar item and he just emailed me that he was looking today in a store and was told the HLR 4677W was in and much better technology, that he should pay the difference if he could afford it. If not, they agreed on not getting the HLP model (had one on display and showed him the difference), but also mentioned he should consider Panasonic PT-44LCX65, said Panasonic was now putting out a great product and had a better picture than the HLR 4667W. Any thoughts?

CaptStu
Unregistered guest
FYI, thanks for the info. I have a friend who is looking for a similar item and he just emailed me that he was looking today in a store and was told the HLR 4677W was in and much better technology, that he should pay the difference if he could afford it. If not, they agreed on not getting the HLP model (had one on display and showed him the difference to HLR), but also mentioned he should consider Panasonic's LCD, PT-44LCX65, said it had a better picture than the HLR 4667W. They said Panasonic was now putting out a great product in LCD and Plasma - best quality for your money. Any thoughts?

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 261
The 77's are nice. They have the thin bezel and use the larger chip. The light engine is still a 4th generation, though.

Don't know much about Pani....other than they have some real lamp failure issues with certain models listed on this forum. If they picked up the refresh rate so fast motion scenes don't blur and they have a different lamp in that model, it may well be a winner.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us