Samsung DLP picture settings, hard to view night or dark scenes

Username: Strictly_butta

Post Number: 1
Hello everyone! Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide me. I recently purchased the Samsung DLP HL-P5085W/HL-P5685W pedestal TV, the big one ;) and absolutely love it. My only gripe is that I'm having trouble with the picture when TV or movies have dark or night scenes. I haven't been able to figure out how to 'brighten things up' at all and was hoping someone here could clue me in. Has anyone else experienced this? Should I be more specific? Thanks...

Bronze Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 73
Samsungs require a high contrast setting.

Contrast = 95-100
brightness = 45-50 adjust for ambient room light

Username: Strictly_butta

Post Number: 2
I really appreciate the quick response. I seem to be missing how exactly to access 'contrast and brightness' in any of the menus however. ACK!

Bronze Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 75
With remote in "TV" mode:

Menu..arrow down to/Picture...arrow over to/Mode...should be standard...
then hit "Enter".
Up comes the user settings.
Mine are:

Contrast = 95
Brightness = 48
Sharpness = 25
Color = 43
Tint = mine is greyed out from component cable use.

In "Setup" and "Color Weakness" my green is on 3.

Anonymous

With contrast that high won!t the bulb burn out sooner. Maybe that is why bulbs burn out sooner on dlps and lcd projection tvs although I have read in different places that it is bad for the longevity of any type of tv to have the contrast turned way up.

I have looked at a lot of different types and brands and most of them need contrast turned up to get normal brightness.

Any comments or thoughts?

Bronze Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 77
Contrast is the difference between the darkest blacks and the brightest whites. It has nothing whatsoever to do with lamp intensity, which stays a constant 120 watts. The screen is not phosphorus, but merely a platform for light reflected from mirrors on a DMD chip that's the size of a postage stamp. Adjust to your hearts delight or eyes delight, that is. You won't shorten the life of anything.

Bronze Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 15
I believe for all the money we are spending on these tvs the cost of a pro calibration job is worth it. If this does'nt solve your picture problems I would be surprise. About $400 for RP DLP tv. imagesciencefoundation.com

Bronze Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 89
THX or DVE is adequate for DLP and LCD owners.

Casey, your link doesn't work.

Bronze Member

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 18
FYI You say my link doesn't work, fine, but tou are not giving enough information to properly set up the picture.How do we set the DNLe on or off, Film mode on or off, color temp. warm or cool,why standard and not dynamic or cinema. How do I set the gray scale or get the color temp. to read 6500k. Not everyone can get all the picture they are paying for using a THX or DVE set up dics. To get the picture just right the setting should be done in the factory set up mode and most people should not be messing with these controls.

Bronze Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 93
That's simply not correct!

The "service menu" parameters are established at the factory for optimal performance. The "user adjustments" are for personal preferrance.
If someone feels they are not getting proper picture performance they can set up a factory warranty service call and have an authorized technician investigate whether the performance is diminished and correct it.

User settings are very personal and subjective. Some people see things differently based on their vision, the ambient room light, the quality of the video content, the quality of it's medium of delivery, etc. Some people, like yourself, want a universal setup established and left alone, the thought being that it's optimal for most video content. Others, like myself, are always tweaking something for the particular program we are watching. My wife looks over and says, "what are you adjusting now? Oh...that looks better."

As for your specific questions, I can give you my "preferrances", but they are mine and may not be yours. They have helped others, I'm told.

DNIE (Digital Natural Image Engine): I like mine on. Apparently, you can't turn it off on "R" models. You can only turn the "Demo" on and off. Older models gave you the option to turn it off.
Picture Mode: I like standard.
Film Mode: I like mine off.
Color Temp: I like mine "Normal".
I like high contrast. 95
I don't like overdriven color. 45-48
The THX shows me the optimal detail attainable for my sharpness is a low setting of 25.
The best brightness level for my ambient night time room light is 48.
I've played around with my "Custom Color" settings until I saw the skin tones and true reds, greens, and blues that please me.
I took out some overall slight yellow tendency by going into "Setup" and "Color Weakness" and adjusting the green a step or two.

I guess I'm saying I'm not intimidated by the number of adjustment choices.
I like to play around until I like it. I don't trust anyone else to play around until "they" like it. I'm lucky, my wife is mostly tolerant.

If something starts looking muddy or funky I'll be calling a factory authorized service tech and have it corrected under warranty. I'm covered for six years.

Bronze Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 94
That's simply not correct!

The "service menu" parameters are established at the factory for optimal performance. The "user adjustments" are for personal preferrance.
If someone feels they are not getting proper picture performance they can set up a factory warranty service call and have an authorized technician investigate whether the performance is diminished and correct it.

User settings are very personal and subjective. Some people see things differently based on their vision, the ambient room light, the quality of the video content, the quality of it's medium of delivery, etc. Some people, like yourself, want a universal setup established and left alone, the thought being that it's optimal for most video content. Others, like myself, are always tweaking something for the particular program we are watching. My wife looks over and says, "what are you adjusting now? Oh...that looks better."

As for your specific questions, I can give you my "preferrances", but they are mine and may not be yours. They have helped others, I'm told.

DNIE (Digital Natural Image Engine): I like mine on. Apparently, you can't turn it off on "R" models. You can only turn the "Demo" on and off. Older models gave you the option to turn it off.
Picture Mode: I like standard.
Film Mode: I like mine off.
Color Temp: I like mine "Normal".
I like high contrast. 95
I don't like overdriven color. 45-48
The THX shows me the optimal detail attainable for my sharpness is a low setting of 25.
The best brightness level for my ambient night time room light is 48.
I've played around with my "Custom Color" settings until I saw the skin tones and true reds, greens, and blues that please me.
I took out some overall slight yellow tendency by going into "Setup" and "Color Weakness" and adjusting the green a step or two.

I guess I'm saying I'm not intimidated by the number of adjustment choices.
I like to play around until I like it. I don't trust anyone else to play around until "they" like it. I'm lucky, my wife is mostly tolerant.

If something starts looking muddy or funky I'll be calling a factory authorized service tech and have it corrected under warranty. I'm covered for six years.

Bronze Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 95
It appears that sometimes you either get no post or you get a double post.
I don't really know why. It's happening on other threads too.

Bronze Member

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 19
FYI nice response, but like you said these are you personal prefrences. Some people may not like the soft look of a pro calibration other may its just a matter of taste. Nobody can tell you how to set up your picture buy yourself pro calibration is just my preference. Yesterday when I posted my response it did not show up on the main message board for about an hour even though it was on the thread.

JonnyZ
Unregistered guest
I just got a new DLP hlr6167w on monday (got it for 3000 total with 5 year parts and labor coverage at PC Richard) and it looks great and everything. I've just been scrutinizing everything about it non stop because i want everything to be perfect- I feel like even with the settings FYI suggests, the image is still slightly dark- not like anything is obscured, but that it could be even just a little brighter overall- but if i make the settings brighter, then everything gets washed out. am i just being paranoid?

cdnjezza
Unregistered guest
I recently purchased the HLR5064 (canadian version of 67)
I have the same gripes as JonnyZ. Ever since I bought it a week ago, I've been constantly scrutinizing the thing for reasons to take it back. And after everything I've read, to be honest I'm not that impressed by it.
The two things that perhaps I can attribute to this are:
1) I have not "pro calibrated" the unit
2) I am sitting about 12 feet away from the screen as my room is small :p

Anyone else have any thoughts on the new Samsungs? I was in futureshop (=bestbuy) and with HD playing on all the units, the samsung looked the worse of all.
Dropping $3000 on the TV, I wanted to be blown away by the picture. And, so far... I haven't been.

Bronze Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 97
JonnyZ,

Samsung replaced my P5063 with an R5067 yesterday and I'm still adjusting on it.

I continue to prefer high contrast, but I have bumped up my brightness to 58. This caused me to raise my color level to 53.

I think the picture is drop dead gorgeous on HD Discovery and HDNet. It seems to be more crisp and clear than my P63 was. Blacks are absolutely black. Colors are rich and brilliant. I haven't moved the custom color settings from default 50-50-50 yet and may not. Skin tones look very real. Sky, water, and grass looks very natural.

My signal source is Direct TV using the SIR TS360 Samsung receiver. I'm using an upconverting Samsung HD841 DVD player. All connections are component Pr, Pb, Y. Audio is optical from the source to my Onkyo surround sound receiver. No A/V sync issues detected so far.

Anonymous

i just purchased a samsung model txr3079wh 30 inch i am having a problem watching soccer games because when shown from a distance every thing is blurry up close is fine. i have direct t v does any one besides me watch soccer and have the same problem maybe someone can suggest the correct settings i havent been able to figure it out. any help appreciated.

Dave W in CA
Unregistered guest
Using a Samsung HLR5067 - I've noticed that playing some DVDs (new Toshiba player via HDMI) that certain shadows have a green cast to them. It seems especially prevalent on beard/face shadows. Everything else looks fine, colors are all good in brighter scenes. It's not a simple hue adjustment I would guess. Anyone else see this? I'm under warranty and all but would like to change a setting that would work before calling the Geek Squad out.

Unregistered guest
Hi, i have recently bought a samsung SP46L3H rear projection DLP TV. However i am still having trouble getting a clear picture of dark objects, without reflecting greeny colours when in a dark enviroment. I have tried the settings listed, however this did not help. Do i need to adjust custome settings of red, green and blue? If so, could someone post the optimal settings. Thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us