Archive through April 19, 2005

Username: 4kilners

Post Number: 4
Seattlite,

Let us know if you are able to check it out this weekend and what price you get. Would like to see if the local store here in Oregon would meet the same price.

Seattlite
Unregistered guest
Chris - I'll definately post something if I make it to V.O. this weekend. The guy I talked to on the phone said that he was the "manager" and that he could possibly swing a deal for me on the new JVC. Based on my prior experience with V.O. (as well as others on this thread), that's their typical M.O. There is always wiggle room in the price.

If I were you, I'd go in, check out both sets, and if you decide to go with the older model, just haggle with them. I think you can probably do better than $2750. Just remember that if you want the older model, you should act sooner rather than later, b/c they probably won't be restocking it after its all gone.

Bronze Member
Username: Hstraub

Post Number: 19
Here is a photo of the new setup:
New home Theater

JVC HD52z575
Magnepan 3.5 speakers
Magnepan Center
Axiom 10" Aluminum cone sub
NAD T763 HT Receiver
LG 3510A HD Tuner

It looks and sounds great!

Marv Z.
Unregistered guest
Duane A,

Regarding your post a few days ago on the JVC power off problem, I had the same experience on my 585 set that was purchased back in Sept 04(June build). Fortunately the oufit I bought from was willing to swap me a new TV so I didn't have to go through JVC for service, however I did wait a couple of months to get the replacement because of back orders. See if your dealer is willing to do the same (...and to your benefit you'll also get a "fresh" bulb in the process).

Despite this hiccup, I just love the set and the awsome "HD" video experience. The only problems I seem to have now are with our troublesome cable DVR unit. Seems that new technology needs to have it's obigatory growing pains. Enjoy your JVC!

Bronze Member
Username: Mr_sparks

Ca Usa

Post Number: 72
hstraub - awesome setup! Those speakers must sound good. I'm interested in the Axiom 10" Aluminum cone sub. I have Axiom center and surrounds - they are excellent.

Have you compared the Axiom sub to other subs? If so, what's your review on the Axiom sub?

Interested Buyer
Unregistered guest
Mr. Lynch - I'd love a copy of the service manual, too if you don't mind.

y (at) yips (dot) net

Thank you.

Bronze Member
Username: Matman

Post Number: 34
XBOX Controller!
Robert -
When you go to buy your XBOX, try out the controller at the store. I understand your concern. (My hands are so large it's not practical for me to use most calculators.) The XBOX controller fits my hand naturally and the buttons are large enough I don't confuse them during rapid play. It doesn't just have buttons. It's made for the varied ways your hand can move. I don't think you'll have any problem.
Yours,
Matt

Bronze Member
Username: Matman

Post Number: 35
Video Games!!
Scott & Mr. Sparks:
Thank you for your wisdom! I'm going to check out the sites right now!
Yours,
Matt

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Mr Sparks,
Thanks, the speakers are amazing. I love the magnepans for the great highs and mids, they are REALLY fast speakers and give a nice soundstage.
My Axiom sub(hidden behind the speaker on the left in the photo) was their top of the line about 5 years ago, but now would be compared to the EP175. It is a good sub, but not great. It is slow compared to my planar speakers and isn't a super match. The amp and inputs are great, but I think the crossover was the shortcoming in my model. That all being said, for the $$ it was the best in the price range(~$500 street 5 years ago). I tried a $1000(street) sunfire mini-cube sub that was good and matched better but I still decided on the Axiom for $/quality comparison.
Their newer models, specifically the EP500 have made huge leaps forward and are significantly better than what I own. A friend owns the EP500 and loves it, it is a great sub! They are aiming for the high end more now and have put a lot more time into R&D. If I was going to upgrade today, I would probably try the EP500, HSU VTF-3, and for more $$ a REL sub(my goal someday). The REL's are fast, and accurate.....I have heard them with my speakers and it is the best, but the price is too damn high IMHO.
BTW, I use the Axiom surrounds as desktop speaker in my office at work. Nice little speakers....
Good luck, let me know what you go with

Bronze Member
Username: Nuclearfish

Nashville, TN USA

Post Number: 49
Controllers...

I have an all-enclosed setup, so wireless is a must.

so I did a bunch of research and got the wireless Logitech controller...

It's thinner and fits your hands better than the standard Xbox controller, has the rumble feature, and lasts several hundred hours (they say) on 2 batteries.

No Lag at all. It's as good as my wavebird wireless for the gamecube, which Nintendo makes themselves.

50 bucks.

scott

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 661
Hstraub-

Could you post a pic of your setup here too? https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/114959.html

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Mr Lynch,
Done.

Thanks for the heads up.........

Anyone watching the Masters in HD?

Bronze Member
Username: Ruffwood

Post Number: 12
Thanks Guys for all the advice on the XBox.

One more question on the wireless controller. Is it possible to have more than 1? Are there different channels?

Bronze Member

Nashville, TN USA

Post Number: 50
Wireless Controllers:
There are different channels with the wavebird (a numbered wheel on both the transmitter and controller), but I'm not sure about the logitech... wait, just checked on Amazon, and Logitech says yes, up to 8.

scott

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
hstraub,

I will be planted both Saturday and Sunday. I was hoping that the highlight show last night would be in HD but it wasn't. Speaking of that, does anyone else notice that CBS' 4:3 transmission triggers the gray bars and the actual picture isn't aligned properly within them? On my TV (it is the signal as I checked a number of other stations), when CBS goes to 4:3 I get gray bars (black on all of the other stations) and there is a gap (> 1") between the picture and the gray bar on the right side that is black. It's like their alignment isn't set properly. I don't know if this is CBS-wide or just my local affiliate.

Saurabh Gupta
Unregistered guest
guyss PAC-2000 is selling it for the following prices

jvc hd52z585 for 2025
Jvc HD52Z575 for 1895

+175 for shipping..

i live in denver colorado and i am very tempted to buy from them. am ready wait. are they trustworthy ??? it is saving the money and goign for the product

Bronze Member
Username: Steve_m

Ivyland, PA USA

Post Number: 12
tvshopper,
I get the gray bars on CBS and only on CBS. I couldn't venture a guess why. I don't however get that 1" gap.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 663
Saurabh Gupta-

Wow, under $1900 for a 575. I might have to drive up to Pac-2000 and get one for the bedroom at that price. A few people on this forum have bought from them with good results, and I've been to there place on a couple occasions.

RaveD
Unregistered guest
CBS-HD puts gray bars when upconverting 480i broadcasts. The signal comes from CBS; there's nothing you can do about it.

Username: Rejaak

Post Number: 6
Hmmm...I always got the grey bars no matter what station i was on in 4:3. Is this because of my cable system? (Insight) I always thought it was a distraction with the grey rather than the black bars.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 665
Video Only is still running their spring clearance sale. They now have the JVC 52" 585 for $2299.

Username: Bobsacameno

Post Number: 1
Hi - I just received my JV today. All along, I was set on the Sammy until one time at Frys, I saw the JVC and the Sammy side by side with the same picture. I never considered the JVC up til then but was blown away by the picture of the JVC. Like they say, the rest is history. Also, much thanks to all who contributed here. It was invaluable resource for me.

I understand that Mr. Lynch had previously posted his settings on the JV? Can someone please repost it? Perhaps, it's my inexperience with this BBS but I can't seem to do searches very well. Thanks in advance

Bronze Member

Ca Usa

Post Number: 73
Hey John, good luck with your new JVC. The picture quality, with HD, rivals the movie theatre. I don't understand how electronics can get broken-in, or if it's true, but the picture on my set seems to be getting better.

Mr Lynch has posted his settings many times. Scroll back thru the threads and you will find it. BTW, I've used Mr Lynch's settings and they look stunning on my set.

Seattleite
Unregistered guest
John - Go back 9 days to an April 1st post by Mr. Lynch. He reposted his settings due to popular demand.

Post Number: 2
Thanks to Mr Sparks and Seattleite. Got the settings. Will start to play with it once I get the chance.

Just watched my 1st DVD (Incredibles) on my new JVC that I just received today on my Philips DVD763SA I'm totally awe-struck by the picture quality! I don't even think this player is progressive scan. I got it primarily because it was a good value as a SACD player. (Sad to say, this is the only piece of equipment I have that has component video - I'm definitely a "late adopter" and then some). And this is without the rear channel speakers (don't know what happened but couldn't anything out of them) and with the factory settings.

I have a feeling this baby is going to change my life. (though I have probably have to throw some $$ into this like adding DirectTV HD? A new DVD player?) BTW, I read in the local paper here that Cablevision is going to shut down Voom - I seemed to have caught a thread here that there were some interest in the financial viability of Voom...

Username: Ffb

Post Number: 8
hstraub

i used to be what they called an audiophile and after spending a lot of $'s i came back to earth.

the maggies are about the best for the money provided that you have the right subwoofer.

but i have a question for you.......

the maggies have always needed alot of clean ,hi power amplification to sound at its best,and also as with many sota speakers ,in order to get the best sound you have to blast them.........

does this still hold ????

in my set up now,i have outlaw electronics and definitive technology center side and rear speakers........
i do have a very bright room ,marble floors,side windows running the lenght of room and cathedral ceilings starting out a 18 feet and down to 8.

room is 48 feet long by 18 wide.......

because of this i went with the def.tech.
they are efficient .and bipolar like the maggies ,but the mid range could never match the maggies or quads from the u.k.

have you had the maggies in a big room.????a bright room ???

the reason for my question is that i would like to get back to maggies but i am concerned with the dimension and brightness of the room........any experience on this topic out there.

and ,regarding the qualia ,i am waiting to see the new jvc sets........

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 666
I'll post my updated settings on Monday. My new light engine seems to be alot more efficent. I had to bring the brightness levels way down from my previous settings.

I've been watching the Voom saga for sometime and it seems to be dead. Even the one hold out at Cablevision voted against keeping it running. It was a great idea, just bad timing. HDTV is still so new to people, I think most are happy getting a few channels in HD. After the intial "wow" factor of HD wears off, I think a product like Voom will have a better chance.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
FFB,
The maggies are 4ohm speakers, and do need a lot of power to sound good. Outlaw, NAD and Arcam are the only receivers out there that drive 4ohm loads without overheating/crashing. So you could do it with your Outlaw stuff.
Your questions/concerns are real, I am not sure if I had marble floors and a bright room if the Maggies would sound great. The 3.5's need a big room, so that isn't an issue, but the brightness might be. I love their sound and I am used to not having chest thumping bass. Are you using them for music or HT only? For HT only, add a REL sub and you will have a great setup, for music you may not like them in a bright room.
I was powering mine with AtmaSphere OTL tube amps, and love the sound, but now that I went all HT, the NAD does a great job for music as well. Not 'audiophile' level, but great for the family....

Saurabh Gupta
Unregistered guest
Guys am in Denver, CO chcked out Sears yesterday and the take home price inclusive delivery for the JVC HD52Z575 D-ILA TV for $2374 inclusive taxes,delivery

the same on Pac-2000 for $2070 shipped home. I can wait..

what about any damage during delivery
who covers it ??
what about investing in their extended warrenty. Who services its ??

please provide me with suggestion so i can go ahead and order it.

thanks

Unregistered guest
Saurabh,

I called Pac-2000 to ask all those questions. Basically, damage during the delivery will be your responsibility if it's in-house delivery. It will be shipper's responsiblity if it's white glove (if the shipper admits that it's their fault). If it's mfg's defeat, it will be JVC's responsibility. No return policy (High re-stocking fee) basically.

I don't like the one who answered my call. He is rude and keeping preaching that "no one in retailer industry will honor return policy" for TV and "you shouldn't buy a TV if you don't like it". I will NOT buy anything from Pac-2000. I cannot imagine if I have to deal with them again. It drives me crazy.

Good luck with you.

Ken

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 667
Here are my new settings with the adjusted brightness.

application/mswordUpload
jvc.doc (94.7 k)

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
I just wanted to say that the Masters broadcast in HD was fabulous! The only critiques I have is that it was obvious that they had a couple of SD cameras on some holes (4 tee comes to mind) or else HD cameras that were in need of major adjustment. Also, once in a while when they were shooting high contrast (i.e. large white field vs. large black field) there was some halo-ing. All-in-all, just beautiful! In fact, I hosted a dinner party on Saturday and the broadcast was still on as people filtered in. I all of the sudden realized that I was standing among a bunch of women (not a bad thing, mind you), no men were to be found. I went into the TV room and there they all were....mesmerized! In fact, they insisted on watching the NCAA Hockey final after the Masters.

Bronze Member
Username: Markus

Post Number: 33
Hey,

Got my 52 back in November and am VERY happy with it but it is time to buy a new DVD player. I was wondering if anybody ahd any suggestions for me. I would like to take advantage of the HDMI connection and want an upconverting DVD player.

So whaddaya think??????

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 668
Mark-

What price range are you looking at? A lot of forum users have had good results with the Sony 975 upscaling player. It seems to match the JVC Dila sets really well. They are close to $300, but I'm sure it can be found for much less is you shop around.

Bronze Member

Mr. Lynch,

$300 wouldn't be out of the question...a little pricy though. I think I remember reading about a Samsung a few months back that included an HDMI cable as well. Just trying to fish for some models I can research.

Bronze Member

Nashville, TN USA

Post Number: 51
Mark,

CompUSA has the Samsung HD841 Hi-Def Conversion player for $179.00

Here's the lionk:
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=315979&pfp=BROWSE

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 669
I tried the Sammy HD841, and it was not a good unit. The black crush via the DVI is horrible. It also seems to reset itself. You have to go into a menu and activate the DVI output, then a few days later it goes back to default (component out) and you get no picture. I experieced this, and I've read many reports of others having problems.

I personally use the Toshiba SD-5970, and I've enjoyed it. It can be found for under $150, and it included a HDMI to HDMI cable. The new SD-5980 should be out now, which I heard fixes some of the issues with the 5970.

Bronze Member
Username: Douga

Post Number: 37
Mr. Lynch (or anyone with info), I think you have mentioned that you use email to contact JVC support with good results. Do you have an email address that you can share?

I just had my set repaired for the recall and was supposed to have a 'green glow' issue fixed at the same time. My local repair shop insisted they take my set into the shop. I reluctantly agreed only becuase I felt the 'green glow' would require a light engine replancement and that would require some work.

Well to make a long story short, after 3 and a half weeks I finally got my set back. Unfortunately the 'green glow' issue has not changed. Even though the repair shop said they were going to replace the optics engine, the problem remains. What makes me even more angre is that I don't think they even replaced the light engine (optics engine). I have one stuck green pixel in the lower right and it is still there in the exact place. It is my understanding that replacing the light engine would change the components that would cause the stuck pixel. Am I correct? What is the chance of having the same stuck pixel in the same spot?

Anyway, I want to call JVC to get this problem resolved properly. I also don't want JVC to receive a bill for work that was never done. I will try calling also, but just wanted to know if you had a good email contact address.

Thanks

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 670
Doug-

The green glow can only be fixed by a light engine swap. The light engine contains the 3 chips so any dead/stuck pixels would also be gone. It is hard to believe that out of the 2,764,800 pixels you would end up with the same exact one stuck.

I've always emailed though here:
http://www.jvc.com/support/support.jsp?pageID=5

The same guy has always responded within hours.

Bronze Member
Username: Douga

Post Number: 38
Thank you, I will send them a email.

Post Number: 9
hstraub,

thank you for the info.
will use it mostly with tv.90%
not listenning to music much in the house .mostly in the car.
and if i trade in my moto guzzi lemans for a goldwing maybe will listen to music in the motorcycle also.

JUST READ A REPORT FROM CES ----THIS ONE CRITIC VISITED ALL OF THE EXHIBITS AND RATED THE JVC7- inch 1080 2 ND AFTER A BRAND I NEVER HEARD OF AND FORGOT THE NAME (READ IT AT BARNES AND NOBLE )---AND THE SONY QUALIA AT $ 13,000 BELOW THE JVC.

ALSO learned from this critic that this sony was originally going to be a $ 10,000 list next generation xbr.......then ,they decided to call it a qualia and the price got to 13,000....interesting marketing approach .it will work.

bhend4
Unregistered guest
Just got my 585 52" on Sunday. Just in time for the Masters. All is great!. I'll post some pics after the final finish is done on the cabinets. I love this set! Been hangin around here for about 4 months now, knowing all along I'd buy this set. Basement remodel is finally 99% done. What a trip.

Bronze Member
Username: Mrtomasulo

Post Number: 38
I just got the component cables for my Gamecube. Sorry to say it but I am at least a little bit disappointed. It definitely improved my Mario Kart game, but the rest, I don't know. I probably was expecting too much.

Now I'm thinking of shelling out for an xbox, seeing as I wanted to get True Crime and MVP 2005 anyway (both in 720p on xbox).

My girlfriend is going to be none too pleased if I get a second game system though. Please help!

:-)

Bronze Member

Nashville, TN USA

Post Number: 52
Mister Tomasulo,

You need to be sure and hold down the B (red) button when starting the gamecube, until the game asks if you want to display in progressive mode.

If you haven't played Prince of Persia or Resident Evil 4 on the JVC with the Gamecube, you're missing something cool.

Scott

Post Number: 5
Seattlite,

Did you make it to VO this weekend?? I called the local one here and they are not getting the 61Z786 for another week but will sell at same price quoted for the 585.

Seattleite
Unregistered guest
Sorry Chris. I never made it to V.O. Hopefully I can go this weekend. Sounds like you got the same info I did (new set for $2999).

Yeah, just wanted to see if anyone has seen one yet. Thanks!

Post Number: 10
i do not play games in my pc. but ,i do a lot of flight simulator and ww2 aircraft simulators .
are these any good on the jvc ?

and ,does anyone know when the 70 or 60 plus 1080 jvc will be out ?

HD Fanatic
Unregistered guest
Model HD-70G886, which is a 720P 70" is due out anytime now. (was scheduled for March) If you were wandering about the 1080P 70" HD-70FH96, it is supposed to be out this fall. Here's a link for more info...
http://www.jvc.com/press/index.jsp?item=445&pageID=1

Username: Rzm

SoCal

Post Number: 5
Possible problem with my 52z handling motion scenes. Seems like the picture is more likely to break down to larger squares of image instead of locking it down to a sharper image like before. Haven't changed any settings or inputs since it was tighter. Having the same problem on DVD and SAT images. Has anyone had anything similar? Is it time to call a tech?

Still love the JVC...great tv
Very bummed that Voom is leaving...love some of their channels...got used to watching almost only HD
Xbox rocks on the JVC! Make sure you have your Xbox settings to output HD signals

Bronze Member

Ca Usa

Post Number: 74
"If you were wandering about the 1080P" - I am wandering about 1080P. If the set does a good job of upscaleing from the lower resolution feed, we might have an even better picture, sitting closer?

"rzm - Seems like the picture is more likely to break down to larger squares of image instead of locking it down to a sharper image like before."
Sounds like you are seeing what I call pixelation. I've seen similar jagged squares, but due only to cable tv feed.
While it sounds like a problem due to what you're feeding to the set, if different feeds do the same perhaps you may want to call a tech.

SoCal

Mr Sparks, the input from my sat box is set to 720p via component. My DVD is also set to 720p via HDMI.

The worst example of the problem was on sat HD feed of the 3rd Matrix movie. The specific scene was towards the end at the big showdown in the rain. There is a part with the rain splashing in water cutting to shots of them flying overhead with the rain falling to camera, the image was pretty much a jumbled mess of green, black and white squares. I will probably rent the DVD to double check this before calling a tech. But, I'm seeing it on other stuff so I'm a little concerned.

I'll start playing with settings and experiment a bit to nail this down. I was just hoping that someone might have gone down this path already and could shed some light.

Thanks for the input.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 672
rzm-

Last month HBO played all 3 Matrix Movies in HD. I noticed the same pixelation you are talking about. I did not see it during the same scenes when watching it on DVD. I've also noticed with other movies broadcast in HD. Not just on my JVC, but on a friends Samsung DLP too. I think it is caused by the compression of the signal from the the broadcasters and not anything the JVC is doing wrong. Even HD content is compressed around 50 to 1 to fit the bandwidth restraints the broadcasts have to work with.

SoCal

Post Number: 7
Mr Lynch, I'll definitely get the DVD now for a direct comparison.

The Sat installer originally set the box to output 1080i. When I asked, he said it would look better than 720p. After watching it for a few days I switched it to 720p figuring that closer to native rez would be better. I still have it at 720p but will add that to my experiments for the pixelation issue. Funny that the static video source letters on the set up screen actually are clearer and have fewer mosquitoes with 1080i than 720p

Thanks

Username: Pilgrim

Post Number: 7
This picture is taken from about 2 feet away from my 575. While not to good on focus it shows what I think is a problem with alignment. I have the service menu and adjust the best I can. Any comments on what you see. By the way, I am out of the sevice area of the recommended JVC service shop. (I live 60 miles from a 30 mile limit shop )3 weeks have gone by and JVC called last week to tell me they are negotiating with service center to come upgrade my potential smoking hazard.UploadBall size on screen is about 2".

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 673
Ed-

Put in a DVD with the THX logo, then pause the disc. You can use that to adjust the convergence if it is off. Any movie credits will also work. Basically any light image on a dark background. IF your brightness/picture/tint are set too high, you can also get some blooming around object edges which will cause problems too. Whatever to problem is you should be able to correct it.

Post Number: 8
Mr. Lynch, Thanks, I have the DVE disc. should I use it and on what screen. Last I tried I used the std rgb square in jvc menu and the cable box channel display at base of tv.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 674
Ed-

DVE will make it very easy. Go into the reference material and find the test pattern that looks like a white grid on a black background. It is perfect for centering your screen and adjusting the convergence. That is what I have personally used many times.

Post Number: 9
Mr. Lynch here are the results after adjusting. Looks like the convergence changes from side to side. pictures are counter clockwise starting lower left corner. using chapter 12-20 on DVE

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
This image is center
Upload

Last photo is DVE 12-6 and would like to know if the overlap is normal on other owners of this model.
Upload

Thanks, again and sorry for all the photos but hope it will help others who have requested service manual and may be experiencing these isues.

Web group manager Feel free to delete post if to large.

Username: Jamesslally

Here there and everywh...

Post Number: 3
Wondering if anyone knows the difference between the 61z575 and 61z886, also will JVC be coming out with a 52z886. I know the answer was posted once before, but I can't find it. Also noticed that the msrp on the JVC website is less for the 886 than the 575...any ideas?
Thanks,
Jim

FLBuckeye
Unregistered guest
886 has ATSC tuner/CableCARD slot, PC input, and dual IEEE 1394 inputs. The HD61Z786 has the same specs with all black cabinet. Reviews are filtering in over at the AVS forum http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=2e1f35b10507c5b710217ec49ebfecfe &threadid=528179

FLBuckeye
Unregistered guest
HD-56G886/786 June
HD-52G886/786 July

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
james,

Click on the link in HD Fanatic's post a number of posts above yours.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 675
It has been about one week since I had my light engine swapped, and I have to say I am VERY impressed with it. I thought the picture looked good before but it is incredible now. I don't know exactly what they changed in the design, but it seems to correct some of the issues I had with the set. Does anyone know when they started using the new light engine?

Saurabh Gupta
Unregistered guest
ok... having taken a deep breath i ordered my HD52Z575 from buydig.com for 2049 threshold delivery...

will keep u guys posted thru the process.

fyi

i have confirmation email about the sales order..

Post Number: 3
Mr. Lynch

Is the light engine part of the recall? I just had mine delivered last Sat. Using their website by entering my serial #, they came back and said my unit was OK (didn't need to do the recall) even though it was a Nov build. Does this mean I have the "new" light engine?

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
John,

The recall does not involve the light engine. But, being a November build you do have the newer version of it.

J Anderson
Unregistered guest
Hello Mr. Lynch,

I have enjoyed and gathered a lot of info from your posts. Can you email me the JVC HDILA service manual to anderson487@mchsi.com ? Thanks in advance!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
Mr.Lynch,

You had mentioned you have the Toshiba SD-5970. I am considering getting this model but you mentioned the newer 5980 may have addressed some of the issues of the 5970. What issues would you be referring to? I'm trying to decide if the 5980 will be worth the additional $100.

Thanks,

Mark

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 679
Mark-

I really enjoy the PQ of the 5970, but the remote might drive some people crazy. The unit does not always respond to the remote or the buttons on the face. Toshiba said "that's the way it is". Since I generally just put in the movie and hit play, It doesn't bother me. If your into playing around with the extras, or skipping around a disc it can get frustrating sometimes.

Another issue is with the HDMI output. Whenever you turn the power off, it resets to 480p. You have to press the HDMI button to get it back to 720p. Not a big deal, but I do wish it would save the resolution setting.

As far as video quality I find the HDMI output to be superior to any analog signal, even at 480p. It is more stable, with less noise and a smoother picture. Also, being able to hook the DVD player up to the HDMI frees up the 2 component inputs for my Xbox and HD tuner. No cable swapping is a big plus in my book.

Both models include the HDMI cable, so that will save you a nice chunk too.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
Thanks,

I'll take these things into consideration when I make my purchase...and the HDMI cable included is a bonus for sure!

Unregistered guest
Hi Mr_lynch,

Thanks for much information you've provided to the board. I purchased a 61" JVC from BuyDig and it arrived in pristine condition yesterday. I hooked it up with a Pioneer DVD player, which is the only video source I have right now.

I connected the DVD player to HK 635 receiver and connect the HK 635 to TV, all using component video cables. As I watch first DVD - Starwars - Attack of the Clones, I don't think it's as smooth as I wanted. I can see some edges (12-13 ft viewing distance).

1. Is that b/c of the DVD player not outputing DVI or HDMI?

2. Would DVE help twist this?

3. Could u send me the service menu as well (kclin@alumni.cmu.edu)?

Thank you very much!

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 681
Anyone need a RF remote extender?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&partnumber=180-828&orefer=esf0415 05-180-828

Ken-

Is your DVD player progressive scan? Did you turn off all the "enhancements" on the TV light Dynamic gamma and noise correction? They tend to add a lot of false artifacts to the display. I also think if you made some adjustments using DVE or AVIA you will get much better results. It sould like something might be set a little to high and it is causing a problem.

Do you notice the same problems when watching TV? With my set I even turned off the cinema mode (forgot the name of it). The picture seemed to be a bit choppy at times with it on.

Unregistered guest
Mr. Lynch,

Yes. Mine is progressive scan. I think I've turned down most of the enhancements as you recommended in your setting document.

Right now, the DVD is my only source. I don't have cable or dish services yet. :-)

I do have another big problem. In the menu, it says the minimum distance should be maintained around the TV. I have no problem with the back (50mm) of the TV. But there is only 1 inch from my top and 1-2 inch from the right and left sides. Would that cause a big problem?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 682
As long as the back is open you should be fine. The air intake and output are all in the back, so you need room for the air to circulate. You don't want the intake drawing in the hot air it just blew out. This applies to all rear projection sets (DLP/LCD/LCoS).
I've seem many people put the TV in a cabinet and they just left the back open. Haven't heard of any problems yet.

Bronze Member

Nashville, TN USA

Post Number: 53
Ken,

Some DVD players have a little switch in the back that you can choose 480I or 480P.

If you haven't yet, be sure to switch it to 480P, which puts it into progressive scan.

I say this 'cause my dad had his set up for 4 months before I looked back there and switched it for him.

scott

ronald02
Unregistered guest
Hey, does this jvc d-ila use replacable bulbs, if so how many? also will it get dead pixels overtime or any probs lcd/dlp rp tvs get?

thanks

jim10
Unregistered guest
Hey whats the differences between the 575 and 585?

Bronze Member
Username: Rex

Post Number: 26
This may have been asked, but I don't remember.
If you change various settings, like color tint and so forth, can you do something to return all settings back to factory default?. (HD52Z585)
Thanks

jamesdun
Unregistered guest
Hey all, if i buy this tv do i need astc tuners and hdtv tuners all all these things thetv doesnt already have built in? or just the tv cables dvd player and my satalite reciver?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
Jim-- 585 is all black and also has "smart sound" feature, which is irrelevant if use your own surround sound, since won't be using the tv as speaker.

Rex-- should be a 'reset' option in the menu, I believe.

james--no you don't need the tuners if you're going to be using a cable or satellite source for your programming.

jamesdun
Unregistered guest
Okay thanks mister tomasulo, but what are those new tuners for? like the astc and the others that are equiped with the new tvs then?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
I'm a newbie and the little I know I've learned from here, but... I think those are just if you want to pickup over the air HD broadcasts.

jamesdun
Unregistered guest
Whats so good about over the air HD? if you have an expensive tv wouldnt you have hd satalite?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 683
A built in tuner is good for OTA digital/HD ONLY. If you use cable or satelite it is not very important to have. If your like my parents and don't want to pay a ton of money for you HD and live close to a major city, a built in ATSC tuner is a great way to recieve digital and HD local signals for free. I also feel that local OTA HD looks a little better than the local HD broadcast from Comcast. I believe the cable signal is compressed alot more than the OTA signal.

I stopped by Video only today in Tukwila WA, and they just set up the brand new 70" JVC Dila set. Very nice TV. It was only $4999 and the sales guys said he could cut a deal on it. To me the picture pretty much looked the same as on the 61" nearby. I don't think they changed to much for the new sets. Why mess with a good thing?

jamesdun
Unregistered guest
ah okay thanks, wouldnt OTA channels be illegal or should be then if they are free? how man channels can you get up to with it?

Bronze Member
Username: Sailbyte

Post Number: 44
Jamesdun

Many local channels now broadcast HD OTA - the number available depends upon your particular area. I find it interesting that the cable/dish companies have you convienced that if you get a signal without paying for it -- it must be illegal :-)

jamesdun
Unregistered guest
payperview and new movies and games should be free OTA soon, and i can spend my money on other stuff o.o

jamesdun
Unregistered guest
payperview and new movies and games should be free OTA soon, and i can spend my money on other stuff o.o so what is out so far that this tv doesnt have? just ASTC?

Username: Beeblebrox

Buford, GA United States

Post Number: 1
I followed this site for sometime before settling on the JVC HD-ILA (I have the black 52" purchased in January). I have been happy with it up until yesterday.

The picture brightness has been slowly deteriorating over the last 4 hours of viewing to the point that even with the brightness and picture turned up to the max, it is barely viewable in a darkened room :-(

I have emailed JVC and we'll see what they do about it.

I have read of "light engine issues' as well as very short bulb life from several owners of this set but am unsure of how to tell the difference WRT this particular piece of gear. I have been in the media biz for a couple of decades and have extensive experience with LCD projectors in conference and large event venues and typically a failing bulb reveals itself through both loss of brightness and a change in color temperature.

Since color temp has not changed I am dubious of whether the problem is the bulb (the set has under 200 hours on it).

-B

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
Dan S,

Was there any odor as the picture was deteriorating? When my light engine went (had the green glow that progressed), a brownish nebula formed in the middle of the screen and the remainder of the screen got quite dim. During this development, there was a distinct odor.

Watt
Unregistered guest
The primary reason that I'm waiting on the "new" JVC D-ILA model HD-61Z786 (as opposed to the 585) is that JVC's Technical Support says that there are 2 improvements not yet mentioned on these posts.
The 1st is "GENESSA, a 32-bit CPU dedicated to controlling picture refinement" that they say will enhance smoother movement. The 2nd is a "five point color management system" as opposed to the current four point system.
The GENESSA is currently in their high end D-ILA Projectors.
This was confirmed to me on twice with JVC's Technical Dept. Any input you have is appreciated because if they don't have these new features, I don't know why we should not buy the current model if we are connecting to cable or dish.

Bronze Member
Username: Dan_furlong

Texas USA

Post Number: 33
Mr. Lynch, I have a problem with the picture on my 52z575, wondering if you can help me figure out how to fix it. This is a new set, I had to exchange my other one & this is what the picture looks like out of the box.
this guy looks like he is wearing some kind of mask that takes away the natural sin tone
Upload
Upload

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 685
Dan-

That's pretty normal for out of the box performance. The color/tint and brightness settings are usually over boosted, which looks great on a bright showroom floor but will leave much to be desired at home.

I'd highly recommend using DVE or AVIA. A few adjustments will quickly bring the skin tones down to a more natural level.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 686
I found an interesting webpage today.

http://www.dreamfan.com/etc/JVCHD-52Z575/

This guy is complaining that things look off when he is 2 inches from the screen (pix included). When you scroll down and see the full screen pictures the picture looks just fine. If you get real close to ANY tv it looks bad.

I don't care what my set looks like at 6 inches away. As long is it looks outstanding from 6 feet away I'm happy.

Bronze Member

Ivyland, PA USA

Post Number: 13
Can I ask for some information about problems with the "green screen" issue? I was watching a movie late last night in a very dark room with night scenes on the TV. For the first time, under those conditions,I could seen a definate green tinting in the corners of the TV. Watching the TV today in a well lit room it is not noticeable, but last night it was significant. Could someone please give a summary of what causes the green tinting, is it adjustable or does JVC have to fix it. Thanks a million to all.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 688
Steven-

When was your set manufactured?

The green glow problem is caused by a few different problems. If you have an older set (Pre Sept) your set has the original light engine which was not shielded very well. The foil shielding can come loose and cause some light leakage in the corners.

The updated light engine replaced the foil with a sturdy aluminum shield which was suppose to help the problem. It does still occur with these engines, but I do not know why.

My August build set was fine until I got a new lamp. Right after the lamp was replaced the green glow came and went at random times. I could only see it at night, and it became really bothersome. I took pictures of it, sent it to the local repair shop and they had to wait to get permission from JVC to replace the light engine. Once the swap was done, I've had a nice dark black picture since.

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
Steven,

The green glow is caused by bad light engines that were first generation and largely non-existent with September builds on. If you have an early build, you may very well have the problem. The only cure is to have the light engine replaced. That can only be done by JVC. Take digital pictures of the problem and contact JVC via email. They will make arrangements to have it taken care of.

Bronze Member

Ivyland, PA USA

Post Number: 14
Thanks to both of you, Mr. Lynch and tvshopper. My Jvc is a November build so I wasn't expecting the problem. I'll have to wait untill tonight when I can really darken down the room and see if it occurs again. i'll try to take a picture and post if it I can. Thanks.
Steve

Bronze Member
Username: Dan_furlong

Texas USA

Mr. Lynch,
sorry, I was in a hurry this morning when I posted the message. The pics are after using the DVE disk and the pix are about 6 feet away and look just as bad at 10 feet away. My previous set was outstanding as yours probably is now, I know it's the set because I've seen too many others that do not compare to how bad this one looks. I called JVC & a repair guy will be coming out I just don't know how it can be an adjustment, I think maybe some piece of hardware.
Any other thoughts on the matter?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us