Archive through February 07, 2005

Unregistered guest
I am experiencing a problem with encrypted channels with a new Sharp LC-37GD6U. The unencrypted local channels carried on the cable look great in 1080i or 720p. Sharp customer service says its the CableCARD. Cox Technician said its the software on the TV. I have asked Cox to Swap the card but I am still waiting. Sharp said, "Cox, Time Warner and Others are experiencing the same problem and it sometimes takes 5 or 6 cards before one will work. Anyone having similar problems?

Anonymous cable guy
Unregistered guest
Any Service provider having problems with installing Cable Cards for certaing TV's. I am having some issues with Mitsubishi's (52525 and 62525) models. What did you do to fix these problems. Was it a cable card issue or the customers television set needing a firm ware upgrade?

Peas
Unregistered guest
What did you do to fix these problems. Was it a cable card issue or the customers television set needing a firm ware upgrade?

Gotta love you cable guys, always blame something else besides your front end. The TV's and cablecards work fine all over the US after the cable companys set up their frontend equipment properly.

Peas

cableguy
Unregistered guest
"Gotta love the cable guys, always blame something else besides your front end. The TV's and cablecards work fine all over the US after the cable companys set up their frontend equipment properly"

It's easy for everybody to point fingers when the product is so new, there is no reference to judge by. There are known problems with the TV software, Cablecard software, and I'm sure some cable companies might have some tweaking to do as well. Remember one thing...cable guys are cable guys, this is high-end, state of the art technology and we're charting unfamiliar territory. Give us time we'll get the bugs worked out, and the "us" in give us time, is the entire industry.
I know where I work at, we're doing everything we can to accomodate every new product that hits the market. I also know that we don't have the ability to just magically fix everything that gets thrown at us. Ponder my dilema: 1- is it my cable? 2- is it the cable card? 3- is it the TV?
4-how do determine which of the 3 it is? I don't have the ability to carry every type of TV that is cablecard compatible, and I don't get regular updates from all the manufactures of HD Cablecard TV's when they develope some new software patch fix for a known bug with their system. Most customers that already have purcased these systems are getting any information from the manufacturer unless they call in with a problem, and then they are told they need to update their software.
So before you bash the poor cable guy remember we didn't create this technology, we're just trying to accomodate what's out there.

Jose R.
Unregistered guest
cableguy,

I certainly understand your point of view.
But the customer is even at a more disadvantaged position than you regarding the new technology, and relies on the "cable guys" to have appropriate training to handle the problems.
Seems to me that the cable companies should better train their technicians, before releasing a new product/service.

Unregistered guest
Plasma Pioneer Pro 920, using a cable card. I'm curious if someone can tell if the cable card should inhibit unprotected (unencripted) signals. My comcast support (5 failed attempts, 3 box and 2 cable card) says that to get unprotected signals, while using a cable card, you MUST split the signal and use the analog (antenna 2) input for them and get the encripted signals from antenna 1 input. However, when you initially put the Cable card into the box, all of the low band analog (ch 1-14) channels come in, but eventually either they go away altogether (blank screen no audio) or all channels 1-14, will display the last channel that was being viewed. SO, for example, if you were viewing ch 5 immediately after the cable card was inserted, all station 1-14 will display channel 5, even if tuned to a differnt frequency. I have not been able to contact Pioneeer yet, but this sure seems to be a cable card issue to me. The Comcast folks are very weak technically....(I first Dv and DVR boxes, and the picture quality is far superior with the cable card)....seeking advice.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Try rescanning for all available channels on your Pioneer Plasma display after the cablecard is inserted.

xvxvxvx

Unregistered guest
Peas and Jose R.,

The FCC made it mandatory that cable companies provide Cable Cards to customers, before we were even aware that we needed them. Providing support for a cable company and one day out of the blue getting a call from a customer that wants a Cable Card is a bit confusing to begin with. The lack of communication that everyone has been dealing with DOES make it harder to troubleshoot issues that lie in ALL vendor Cable Card TVs. If there were only ONE CC TV available, I'm sure we would have everything worked out, but because there are several different makes and models of TVs it is hard to make sure every TV can work with one kind of cable card. Troubleshooting and education will continue to happen for a few years until EVERYONE is compliant with ALL TVs, but don't think that for one minute we were given a class a few months before these cards were distributed cause we weren't. We were told that we have to provide them and the next day they were on the market. We are still learning about how these Cable Cards work on different TVs. I got one today that the techs and supervisors...even Mitsubishi had troubleshot without success several times. TV had been replaced, internal parts in the TV had been replaced, several of our cards were installed and the last two were the only ones that gave any kind of info back. And they stated....Invalid Card, even though we knew that those cards worked on other TVs. Issues don't always lie in the card....they lie in the TV itself. We are a cable company...not a TV manufacturing company. I know nothing about Sony, Mitsubishi, etc. Learning about CC is not difficult. I know the jist of installing and adding to our database, but when does the hypocracy end, when we are constantly being bashed because we know nothing about the build of a TV? Are your version codes right? Did you report the issue to the TV Manufactor? Did they even attempt to assist you or did they just say that it must be the cable card, even though it was working fine for the past three months and just decided that it wasn't going to work anymore? No. Please do not think that we know everything, because technology is changing as you read this and everyone is learning about these things as fast as possible. Understand the reality of it all. How has Windows Service Pack 2 worked for you? Now ask others how it has worked for them. It's the same thing.

Peas
Unregistered guest
We were told that we have to provide them and the next day they were on the market.

Your Cable Company knew 18 months prior to the mandate and even then got it delayed six more months. That is two years before the cablecard had to be available. The fact that they told you on Monday and you started installing them on Tuesday is not something the consumer should have any campassion nor understanding for.

Peas

Anonymous

I just have to jump in here as I am quite familiar with exactly what the history of this is. Although cable companys were aware of the technology and cards coming, the CableCARD manufacturers did not complete working samples until very near the FCC deadline. Why? The TV manufacturers couldn't make the TV's work properly and needed endless code revisions, thereby delaying a final Card format.

Now that the TV's are on the market, it's amazing how consumers still want to blame the cable company when actually the fault lies with the TV manufacturers. The technical function of the CableCARD itself is quite simple....because now the TV's need to handle various other functionality that would come in a standard converter. Now with each new TV model release, the TV manufacturers (and consumers) are having to deal with an inconsistent TV manufacturing process that doesn't maintain functionality. Sound like the first versions of other software in the past? Remember - the cable company doesn't own this product or the software...the TV manufacturers do. So...before you blame the Cable company (yet again!) for something not in their control, get your facts straight.

Peas
Unregistered guest
Remember - the cable company doesn't own this product or the software...the TV manufacturers do. So...before you blame the Cable company (yet again!) for something not in their control, get your facts straight.

As for getting facts straight you should give it a try, you may feel better. The TV's still handle and process the data in the same manner, STB or cablecard. The software problem you mention is at the frontend of the respective cable companies and they provide the cablecard not the TV company.

Nice attempt at blaming the display manufacturers but no cigar.

Peas

neal
Unregistered guest
I've had the Mitsubishi WD-52525 DLP with CableCard for nearly 3 months and have had NUMEROUS problems...

On their first attempt to install the CableCard, the Time Warner tech was here for 2 hours before he gave up after determining that the set needed a firmware upgrade! Apparently Mits knowingly let their resellers move these sets after they found they had shipped them with buggy FW and they don't proactively offer an upgrade until the customer goes through this headache and figures out to ask for it themselves!

After Mits finally got me the 4.03 update, TW came back and was able to install and initialize the CableCard but that's when the flakey behavior really began. We soon experienced breaking up of picture/sound on digital channels, occasional "161-53" error messages, and soon the digital channels stopped working completely.

On the third visit, two TW techs showed up and they said "its probably the SA CableCard, we have been going through them like candy." They replaced the card but when they called back to the head office to authorize it no one answered the phone (I was last apt on Sat afternoon)! So they put the first card back in and said they would be back on Monday. They also confirmed adequate signal, but they did replace a "ground connection" outside the house. Funny thing was after the TW techs had removed and reinserted the original card on their third visit it did start working again and the digital picture blocking did also seem be virtually eliminated. Only problem was that now a few analog channels could now not be accessed by direct entry but only by the up down buttons (e.g. "6; enter" would not work but "7; enter; chan-down" would). This prevented the PIP from working with any of the affected channels!

When TW came back the forth time and replaced the CableCard they did get everything working OK and everything remained OK for about a month or so, but then the flakey behavior started again. More breaking / freezing / blue screens on digital channels, more "161-53" error messages, and several times the digital channels stopped until I removed / reinserted the CableCard. Now whatever I do, I can't get some analog channels to work by direct entry.

Also, twice in the last month or so, we've turned the TV on in the morning and found it autonomously flipping through channels with a message "upgrade in progress." The first time this occurred I called TW and was told that they started "pushing out an upgrade" at 4:00 AM and it was "taking longer than expected." That evening when I got home, it was still not functioning and I had to remove and re-insert the CableCard a couple of times to get it to work again.

I did find one report of this kind of behavior attributed to poor cable signal (http://www.hdtvexpert.com/pages/du42py10xpf.htm) but, as I say, TW checked the level and said it was OK. I also checked the level myself and measured between -56 and -60 dBm on all digital channels which I'd guess is decent though I don't have a sensitivity spec for the Mits tuner. I also removed a 4-way splitter which should have increased the signal 7 dB or so but this had no effect either. Does anyone know the typical requirements for digital cable tuners???

So at this point I am not sure if the problem is my set (i.e. hardware), more bugs in the Mits firmware, the CableCard, or still the Time Warner signal (e.g. some kind of distortion, time domain dispersion, etc.) I suspect it is a combination of several of these, but I am afraid TW and Mits are going to just point fingers at each other.

I've been just living with this for the last month or so because I've been too busy to sit at home for service calls and was hoping if I waited a bit the TW guys might gain enough experience with this technology to actually figure out conclusively what the problem is instead of just shotgunning.

I can sympathize with the front-line cable techs, but at a higher level the cable provider needs to do a much better job getting this straightened out. They have the big picture as far as any patterns as to what is working and what isn't and they are the only ones in a position to put pressure on the TV manufacturers and on the CableCard manufacturer.

Username: Rddesq

Post Number: 3
I had a problem last night with my Comcast cable card or my tv I am not sure which. The Tv is Toshiba 62HMX94 using HD cable card from Comcast. The HD channels had picture but no sound. Later and still this morning the same channels have sound but no picture. All other channels are fine. For example the Monday night football on non-hd had picture and sound. The HD broadcast at first had picture but no sound and then later in the same game sound but no picture. I don't know if it is Comcast or the TV. Any ideas?

Anonymous

Brian Sandoval
Attorney General
Bureau of Consumer Protection.
555 East Washington Ave Ste. 3900
Las Vegas, Nevada 89101

Dear Mr. Sandoval:
RE: Complaint against FRY'S Electronics and Mitsubishi for false advertising and Unfair and Deceptive Trade Practices:

I am in receipt of your letter dated December 2, 2004 passing on my formal complaint against the two companies listed above, and moving the case to the Department of Business and Industry I strongly disagree with this because fraud is your job.

Their action is a simple case of Deceptive trade practices and consumer FRAUD and a crime in the market place. As I stated before that it is my understanding that it is unlawful for any person, firm, corporation or association, or any employee thereof make statements which is known to be untrue and which is made or disseminated with the intention of misleading with intent directly or indirectly to induce the public to enter into any obligation relating to the advertisement.

It is also my understanding that any advertising which is misleading in any material respect is considered to be false advertising. An advertisement is considered misleading if it fails to disclose facts, which are important in light of what is stated in the advertisement, or facts, which are relevant in the light of the customary use of the product.

MITSUBISHI ADVERTISMENT:
CableCARD Slot
CableCARD is the name of a limited access control card provided by the local cable company that allows Digital Cable Ready TVs to receive, decode and de-scramble premium digital channels without the use of a cable box. One-way systems allow both basic and premium channels but do not allow video-on-demand or pay-per-view ordered by the remote control. On-screen guides are not provided by the cable company but alternative guides are often available. The CableCARD is provided by the local cable company. When the TV owner moves to a new area, the first card is returned to the cable company and the new cable company provides a new card. The card slot in the TV is designed to a national standard so the TV can use CableCARD

FRYS ELECTRONICS ADVERTISMENT BY SALES DEPARTMENT

Digital cable ready means that, when you have signed up with "COX" cable system, you will be able to merely plug the cable into your HDTV, then play high definition and digital cable without having to use a set-top box.
They stated that "Digital Cable Ready" is the official term for the Mitsubishi television that meets the plug-and-play digital cable TV standard using a CableCARD at a great cost savings by not having a cable box and better resolution with the elimination of a second decoding device.

These are totally false and incorrect in the fact that I paid over a thousand dollars for a known incompatibility and defect. I have not been able to use the capability that I paid additional dollars for and had to resort to the old cable box capability, for your information the CableCARD image was much clearer than the image from the box.
The CableCARD is the problem, is the song and dance I am getting from Mitsubishi regarding problems using my CableCARD feature as advertised. The symptoms include the entire digital channel tier dropping out, the TV locking up, no stereo sound and often with a "NO SIGNAL" display on my Mitsubishi HDTV purchased from FRY'S Electronics. To remedy the situation I had to go to a standard cable box and not receive the high quality picture as advertised by both companies. COX Communications has bent over backwards trying to remedy the situation with no results. They freely admit, "We haven't gotten a single CableCARD to work right". I called "Scientific Atlanta" (the manufacturer of the CableCARD) and they indicated it might be a "firmware" issue with Mitsubishi. At this time however, everyone at COX is dumbfounded. I paid thousands of dollars for this feature.

EXAMPLE OF RESPONSE FROM MITSUBISHI:

1- "Per our conversation, the information that we are getting is that Scientific Atlantic is having problems with the software in their cable card. As of one week ago, we were told that the correction from them would be with in 2 weeks give or take. We as well should be releasing a software update around the 1st. of December.
2- "I will be in touch with you next week as soon as our software update is available or should I get a solid ETA on the release".
3- "Also, should I have more information on the correction on behalf of Scientific Atlantic, I will let you know as well".
Yet they both continue to advertise, "CableCARD is the name of a limited access control card provided by the local cable company that allows Digital Cable Ready TVs to receive, decode and de-scramble premium digital channels without the use of a cable box".
They also committed consumer fraud and using unscrupulous tactics by selling T.V. feature / capabilities, which had known defects at the time of the sale, and knowingly canceling this information from the consumer.
I have paid many dollars for a capability that I cannot use and a set that will be outdated based on your false advertising and knowingly hiding the problem from the consumer.
I also have been informed that this model and its capabilities are now already obsolete. It is my understanding there is already a new CableCard on the horizon that presumably fixes many of these issues and current CableCard sets will not be able to take advantage of those fixes. In October, Samsung became the first consumer electronics manufacturer to sign a license to manufacture two-way CableCard products, known as Interactive Digital Cable Ready.
The simple fact is that there are known problems with the TV software, CableCARD software, and they are selling a known defective product to the Nevada consumer, the customer is even at a more disadvantaged position than the seller and manufacturer, regarding the new technology, and relies on the "advertisement".

Tylerc2aol
Unregistered guest
It is both the Cable Card and Mitsubishi software

Tallied
Unregistered guest
5. It's obsolete.
Yes, the sad truth is there's already a new CableCard on the horizon that presumably fixes many of these issues--and current CableCard sets won't be able to take advantage of those fixes. In October, Samsung became the first consumer electronics manufacturer to sign a license to manufacture two-way CableCard products, known as Interactive Digital Cable Ready. We can't say when we'll start seeing next-gen CableCard functionality, but we assume it'll be by this time next year. Until then, don't worry about it.

rwhite1212
Unregistered guest
Michael K. Powell
Chairman
Federal Communications Commission
445 12th Street SW
Washington, DC 20554

Dear Chairman Powell:
RE: Complaint against FRY'S Electronics and Mitsubishi for false advertising and Unfair and Deceptive Trade Practices regarding HDTV capabilities:

I am writing to you in order to file a formal complaint against the two companies listed above and their deceptions based on the FCC mandated HDTV requirements.

The above companies' actions are a simple case of Deceptive trade practices and consumer FRAUD and a crime in the market place. It is my understanding that it is unlawful for any person, firm, corporation or association, or any employee thereof make statements which is known to be untrue and which is made or disseminated with the intention of misleading with intent directly or indirectly to induce the public to enter into any obligation relating to the advertisement.

It is also my understanding that any advertising which is misleading in any material respect is considered to be false advertising. An advertisement is considered misleading if it fails to disclose facts, which are important in light of what is stated in the advertisement, or facts, which are relevant in the light of the customary use of the product.

MITSUBISHI ADVERTISMENT:
CableCARD Slot
CableCARD is the name of a limited access control card provided by the local cable company that allows Digital Cable Ready TVs to receive, decode and de-scramble premium digital channels without the use of a cable box. One-way systems allow both basic and premium channels but do not allow video-on-demand or pay-per-view ordered by the remote control. On-screen guides are not provided by the cable company but alternative guides are often available. The CableCARD is provided by the local cable company. When the TV owner moves to a new area, the first card is returned to the cable company and the new cable company provides a new card. The card slot in the TV is designed to a national standard so the TV can use CableCARD

FRYS ELECTRONICS ADVERTISMENT BY SALES DEPARTMENT

Digital cable ready means that, when you have signed up with "COX" cable system, you will be able to merely plug the cable into your HDTV, then play high definition and digital cable without having to use a set-top box.
They stated that "Digital Cable Ready" is the official term for the Mitsubishi television that meets the plug-and-play digital cable TV standard using a CableCARD at a great cost savings by not having a cable box and better resolution with the elimination of a second decoding device.

So we bought this TV thinking that we would not need a cable box (you pay quite a bit more for the built in HD tuner) and low and behold, the software in the TV is outdated and never worked (and they knew this for 8 months) and it does not allow the TV to process all of the HD channels. Mitsubishi knew of this issue.
I then went to Fry's and purchased a Mitsubishi Model WD 62725 HDTV especially designed to use this technology. After about two weeks for some reason the system failed to work on HD, and defaulted to Analog service only I called Fry's and they came out and checked the TV for the latest software upgrades and found assumed the card was not working after checking all of the parameters of the HDTV and found it in good working order.
On their first attempt to install the cable card the "Cox" technician was here for about 30 minutes and a gorgeous picture was onscreen, a teeming slate of HDTV channels at last! However, no stereo sound. Other than that, everything was fine for the first two weeks.
Then all of the digital channels I had been receiving mysteriously disappeared. Instead of beautiful digital images, I got a blank screen on all digital channels.
I called my local cable company to make an appointment for a service call for Friday A.M. 11/5/2004. At about 8:45 A.M. that day a service contractor of "Cox" showed up and I informed him of what occurred.
He proceeded to check the T.V. and after one hour of checking and several phone calls to his office and Cox he this was a CableCARD system and did a reset on it, we now could get digital channel # 735 but no other HD channels.
About an hour after the technician left, he called me from his office and informed me that the problem was not with the CableCARD rather an issue with the firmware version installed in the Mitsubishi HDTV and I should call Mitsubishi and have them come out and "flash" the software, apparently Mitsubishi knowingly let the reseller (FRY'S) move these sets after they found they had shipped them with buggy firmware and neither proactively offered that information.
At about 12:15 P.M. he showed up, we received a call from Mitsubishi at my residence, and they informed him again that I had the latest software version and we went to the appropriate menu to verify this never mentioning their known issues with their firmware.
He then proceeded to install a new card, and then called the S/N in and after a few minutes the HBO HDTV picture appeared on-screen for a moment, frozen and pixilated, and then disappeared, as if the signal were trying to lock in.
After several more attempts with different CableCARD the picture and all functioning controls froze. I observed that the lights on the power up would flash for several minutes and never turn off as the manual stated it should. He then proceeded to unplug the TV from the wall power outlet and try several more times and got other alarms on the front panel of the T.V...
I called FRY'S, they decided to exchange the TV for me and would rush a delivery for the next day, 11/06/04 after coordinating with their delivery team and Cox hooked up a cable box for temporary service and everything worked fine.
The next day a new HDTV arrived, Cox installed a new CableCARD, and everything worked fine except the stereo sound. After a week, the flakey behavior started again. More breaking / freezing / blue screens on digital channels, more "161-53" error messages, and several times the digital channels stopped until the TV froze up again.

Therefore, I again called and E-mailed Mitsubishi with the following responses from them:

Dear Sir:

Thank you for your inquiry regarding Mitsubishi Electric products. In
Response to your request, please contact the following Mitsubishi Electric
division for immediate assistance. They are the division that supports this
product and have the expertise to answer your questions.

Mitsubishi Digital Electronics America (MDEA)
9351 Jeronimo Road
Irvine, CA 92618

Dealer/Service Referrals & Consumer Relations: 800/332-2119
Product Information/Brochure Requests: 949/830-8364
Parts Department: (including manuals and remote controls) 800/553-7278
Fax:800/825-6655
www.mitsubishi-tv.com

Sincerely,
D. Swank
Customer Care Representative
Mitsubishi Electric & Electronics USA, Inc.
CustomerCare@meus.mea.com
www.MitsubishiElectric.com

In addition, they finally admitted to their issues in the following e-mail:

MDEA Service <mdeaservice@mdea.com>
Sent : Monday, November 29, 2004 11:10 AM
To : rwhite
Subject : FW: Consumer Relations and Support Form

Mr. White,
Per our conversation, the information that we are getting is that Scientific Atlantic is having problems with the software in their cable card. As of one week ago, we were told that the correction from them would be with in 2 weeks give or take. We as well should be releasing a software update around the 1st. of December.
I will check our status regarding our cards then and if it is available I will arrange to have one sent out to you overnight via UPS. Also, Should I get any further information regarding the status on the updated from Scientific Atlantic's software update to their cable card, I will let you know as well.
Again I am truly surprised that your cable company is not aware of this as others that we have worked with (ie. Comcast and Time Warner) seem to be. My deepest apologies for all the inconvenience that you have incurred.
I will be in touch with you next week as soon as our software update is available or should I get a solid ETA on the release. Also, should I have more information on the correction on behalf of Scientific Atlantic, I will let you know as well.

Thank you for all of your patience and understanding

The CableCARD is the problem, is the song and dance I am getting from Mitsubishi regarding problems using my CableCARD feature as advertised. The symptoms include the entire digital channel tier dropping out, the TV locking up, no stereo sound and often with a "NO SIGNAL" display on my Mitsubishi HDTV purchased from FRY'S Electronics. To remedy the situation I had to go to a standard cable box and not receive the high quality picture as advertised by both companies. COX Communications has bent over backwards trying to remedy the situation with no results. They freely admit, "We haven't gotten a single CableCARD to work right". I called "Scientific Atlanta" (the manufacturer of the CableCARD) and they indicated it might be a "firmware" issue with Mitsubishi. At this time however, everyone at COX is dumbfounded. I paid thousands of dollars for this feature.

Yet they both continue to advertise, "CableCARD is the name of a limited access control card provided by the local cable company that allows Digital Cable Ready TVs to receive, decode and de-scramble premium digital channels without the use of a cable box".
They also committed consumer fraud and using unscrupulous tactics by selling T.V. feature / capabilities, which had known defects at the time of the sale, and knowingly hiding this information from the consumer.
I have paid many dollars for a capability that I cannot use and a set that will be outdated based on your false advertising and knowingly hiding the problem from the consumer.
I also have been informed that this model and its capabilities are now already obsolete. It is my understanding there is already a new CableCard on the horizon that presumably fixes many of these issues and current CableCard sets will not be able to take advantage of those fixes. In October, Samsung became the first consumer electronics manufacturer to sign a license to manufacture two-way CableCard products, known as Interactive Digital Cable Ready
One other problem is that I see will be that when the industry finally does adopt a two way standard , the consumer will not be able to retrofit existing CableCARD-ready TV's
The simple fact is that there are known problems with the TV software, CableCARD software, and they are selling a known defective product to the consumer, the customer is even at a more disadvantaged position than the seller and manufacturer, regarding the new technology, and relies on their "advertisement".

tcoop
Unregistered guest
i work in a call center for one of the "major" cable companies...and the info we had given to us is scary...lets just say i have to come to websites like this to gather info and then pass it on to other reps...the training we get on products is considerably below what should be available to us...next step is to call sciatl and motorola for some training material to pass on...hang with us we are working to get this right...

Username: Edculbertson

Greer, SC USA

Post Number: 1
Charter will be coming by again this evening to try again to install the Motorola cablecard in my Sony KDF42WE655. Are there any 'hints' I can give the technician??
Thanks

cableguy
Unregistered guest
My my my, what a wonderful Pandora's box we have here, lol. I think it's neat how everyone has an idea of how things work, and how easy it is to place blame on one specific entity, the cable co., the host set, and the cable card. In my original statement I didn't blame anybody, may the entire industry, but I didn't say it's _______'s fault...what I did do was state that it is new technology and there are issues across the board. Since I last posted we have started installing yet more customers in our cable system, and I have seen a lot of success with a few failures. One of the failures I found on thursday was in fact corrected by the host manufacturer, in this case Hitachi, sending a newer version of software. One of my original beta-test installs on a Mitsubishi, which is still not functioning properly, is because the software developers left a piece of data in the CC software that had been previously found defective, and prone to prevent the CC from activating due to an improper time/date stamp in the host set. Now I can easily say I have yet to find any fault at my cable company on any issues as we've had to do NOTHING to correct any issues that have popped up. The CC manufacturer has had some things they've corrected and the host TV's have corrected problems found in their software. Peas, no anger meant towards you...copied and pasted for your viewing pleasure:

As for getting facts straight you should give it a try, you may feel better. The TV's still handle and process the data in the same manner, STB or cablecard. The software problem you mention is at the frontend of the respective cable companies and they provide the cablecard not the TV company.

Nice attempt at blaming the display manufacturers but no cigar.

Peas

end transmission.

Yes we provide the CC, we don't manufacturer it nor do we write the software for it, we do provide it but only because the FCC mandates we do so. From my experience of installation of this new product I can say the jury is still out. When it works...it works great, when it doesn't...nobody know's why. I am open to any input, but I'm not open to people that, in your own words "The fact that they told you on Monday and you started installing them on Tuesday is not something the consumer should have any campassion nor understanding for."
Why shouldn't you have some compassion? Do you feel that just because you can spend 4 to 5 thousand dollars on a piece of equipment that is the latest and greatest so you can brag to all your friends you got the first one, or so you can bash every cable company just because YOU don't understand why somethings not working???? I don't understand people like you and probable never will. No ill intentions aimed at you sir, honestly, I just think before you point fingers, YOU SHOULD GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT. When you make a blanket statemtent that the cable company needs to get their frontend equipment set up properly I take offense to that. I'm an 18 year veteran of working on cable, and I've seen a lot of changes over the years...this is just something new and don't be mad at the cable company because you bought something, that was very expensive, and it doesn't work. I'm also curious...who are you going to be mad at when the 2-way CC comes out that allows access to Pay-Per-View and Movies on Demand, that the current version of CC does not? My guess is going to be the Cable Companies because you simply think we should be able to do anything! I explain to all of my customer's that this is new technology, to expect a few bumps along the road, and patience is the up-most of importance as they can understand, that it is NEW. Think back to windows 3.1.1, win95,win98, win98SE, ME, and XP...they still don't have it right lol. Software is buggy, so is hardware, and cable can have problems too, it takes having problems to determine what went wrong, where it went wrong and corrective action to fix it.
Sorry to the rest of the group if I rambled, but I hope you all know I do care about the company I work for, and I also have great compassion for all of my customers...I always tell them I don't work for XXXXX cable company, I'm employed by them, I work for the customer..for without them I have no job.

Respectfully

Greer, SC USA

Post Number: 2
Just thought I would mention that Sony has been absolutely NO help to the technicians. They spent another 3 hours and really tried to get things up. They have been unable to get the card to work in this TV (2 different subscribers). I realize this is new technology and bugs must be worked out. I am not blaming the cable guys. They have been very helpful and have really tried. I have suggested that I would be willing to help get the card working with them. I would be at the house and the supervisor would be back at his station to try different things. The supervisor thought this was a good idea.

He said he would check with Sony and Motorola and we will set a time next week. I will post the progress.

Unregistered guest
Cableguy you said "Mitsubishi, which is still not functioning properly," neither does my 62725 and I paid a good price, NO STEREO, HDTV channels freeze w/card, color freezes with the picture blue, now tell me its the cable company

Username: Alec

I'm thinking of buying Sharp LC-37GD6U.
I've seen a lot of negative msg about cable card.
Is anybody had a positive experience using cable card with Sharp LC-37GD6U and Comcast as provider ?

Anonymous

sony and cable cards (Motorola) any problems ?
Mine is 256 Qam stinks (really tiling bad)
64 Qam awesome

Anonymous

I felt I should comment on this issue, partly to share my experience but mostly because I actually got the CableCARD to work and some people may find this information useful. While others may find it amusing. It wasn't easy, but my persistence paid off.

My TV is a Sony model KDE-37XS955, which has a built in ATSC tuner and a CableCARD slot. My cable provider is Comcast and I live in the Chicago suburbs. I bought this TV because I wanted HDTV and some premium channels such as HBO, but without a cable box. Last Friday I called Comcast to get a CableCARD. They said they had to send a technician out and charge me $39.98. That seemed an awful lot to pay just to have someone push a CableCARD into my TV's slot. I was hoping they could either send it to me, or better yet could I come pick it up? They said no, it had to be done by one of their qualified technicians. I told the person that several months ago they sent out a qualified technician to install one of their cable boxes to get HDTV on another TV in my house and the person never got it to work. They had to send another person out to fix it. So the guy offered to waive the fee, but he still had to send someone out. However, he needed to check to make sure they had a CableCARD in stock before he could set up the appointment. Later that day, I got an email from him stating they had a card in stock and they would have someone out on Monday between 8 am and noon.

Shortly after 8:00 the very next Monday the technician was at my door with my cable box. Wait, I ordered a CableCARD not a cable box. They checked to make sure they had one ahead of time. So the technician goes out to his truck and starts calling other technicians to see if anyone near him had a card. He came back a few minutes later and said he had to go back to Comcast and get a card. He asked if I would still be here in an hour or so. I said yes, because I already had to set aside between 8:00 and 12:00 for this appointment and I wanted to get the card installed.

He came back shortly, this time with a CableCARD.

He stands there with me in front of my TV with the card in his hand and asks me where is the CableCARD slot? I point to the slot on the back of the TV and show him the direction it needs to be inserted. (It's a flat panel TV, so it's on the back and it gets inserted upward) So he puts the card where I indicated. We turn on the TV and nothing seems to be different. I ask him what channels we should test to make sure it's working. When they installed my cable box, the technician gave me a channel listing for all the new cable box channels. I asked him if he had one for the CableCARD, but he said no. I asked him if the channels are different for a CableCARD versus a cable box, but he said he didn't know. We then try some of the HDTV cable box channels and nothing is there. So he calls in to make sure the card is activated, which it is. He then asks the person he's called to "hit the card" over their network. I ask him if they can tell on their end if they see the card when it's been "hit", but he says no. I ask him what should we see on our end to see if it works. He's says he's not sure. He knows what happens when you "hit" a cable box, but he doesn't know what happens when you "hit" a CableCARD. It's at this point that he tells me this is his first CableCARD installation. I felt like saying "mine too", but I wasn't feeling amused at this point. He then tries to call one of the other technicians he knows who has done this before. While he's doing that I recall that the Sony TV has a menu option for the CableCARD, so I decide to go into the menu and see if there is something that would be helpful. However, when I get to the CableCARD setting on the TV's menu I notice the option is dim and you can't select it. It's as if there isn't a card plugged into the TV.

No, it can't be.

I turn the TV off and I reach around to the back of the TV and give the card a shove. The card was never pushed in all the way. Unbelievable. I suppose at this point I should be glad that Comcast agreed to waive the install fee.

When the TV powered up it recognized the card but an error message appeared on the screen. It said something like, "There are technical difficulties receiving channels ... due to error 161-4. Please call you cable provider." Lucky for me, my cable provider was right here with me calling other technicians. Even though I'm pretty sure I know what his answer will be, I ask him what error code 161-4 means. He doesn't know. So he gets back on the phone with Comcast to try and find out. He hangs up the phone and tells me these Sony WEGA TVs are not compatible with CableCARDs. They've already had the same problem with a couple of other WEGA TV's. He's very polite and very apologetic. He tells me that since there is no charge for the card, I can keep it. Then he leaves.

Now comes every consumer's moment of truth. Do you believe what you've just been told? Do you believe that Sony is making CableCARD compatible TV's that are not compatible with CableCARDs? Do you believe that Best Buy would sell me this Sony CableCARD TV and promote Comcast's wonderful CableCARD service knowing that it won't work? No, I don't.

The gauntlet has been cast down before me and I accept the challenge. And so my quest begins.

I call Comcast's customer support number. I explain what just happened to the woman on the phone. She asks for my exact Sony TV model, which I give her. She checks it out and tells me that my TV is in fact compatible and she's not sure why I was told that it wasn't. She tells me that she will forward this issue on to someone who will call me back and she gives my incident number. (Fast forward 24 hours, no one from Comcast called me back)

I then search the web for CableCARD issues and find this thread. Wow. If I had seen this thread first, I would have never bought this TV. I guess that's a good thing.

I then go onto the Sony's web site, get their customer support number and call them up. While I'm in the queue, I also start a web session with a Sony technician. I tell him about my situation and error code 161-4. He tells me to call my cable provider. I tell him they already told me Sony's TV is not compatible with their CableCARDs. I ask him what error code 161-4 means, but he doesn't know. He tells me I need to call Sony's customer support number, which is fine because I'm still on hold with them and we end the web session.

When a person from Sony finally comes on the line I explain the situation and ask them what error code 161-4 means, but they don't know. I get transferred to another person and I explain the situation, ask about error code 161-4, but this person doesn't know. However, this person takes all the information on my TV, my zip code, my cable provide and all the information I can read off the actual CableCARD. Which by the way is make by Motorola. He then tells me he's going to give all this to an engineer and the engineer will call me back.

It's my belief that support people who plan on calling you back and linked in to our government's satellite surveillance network. Because no sooner do I leave the house, but the Sony engineer calls.

Luckily my wife answers the phone and the guy give my wife a number to call him back. I get home, call the Sony engineer back and he actually answers the phone, as in "Hello", no automated customer keep out system. He asks me to read him the exact message on the TV, so I turn it back on and read it to him. However, now the error code is 161-6, not 161-4. Also, when I had error code 161-4 I still had my basic cable channels. Now with 161-6 I don't have any channels. He says 161-4 is not a big deal and it should work. All the cable company needs to do is "hit" the card. However, we actually never did that because when Comcast was "hitting" my card it was actually never plugged into the TV. We never tied to hit it after we saw the error code because Comcast decided Sony WEGA TV's are not compatible. If had "hit" the card, the Sony guy says it would have worked fine. However, 161-6 is a more serious issues and Sony would have to swap out a circuit board in the TV. But, before we do that he suggests that I have Comcast "hit" the card because 161-6 can either be a serious issue and require service, or it could simply be that Comcast has disabled the card.

So I call Comcast and explain what I've learned and asked the person to "hit" my CableCARD. The woman tells me she wants to send out a technician. (Can you believe it?) I ask her to "hit" the card and I will call her back if that doesn't work. Actually, it will be a Sony service call if it doesn't work. She initiates the "hit" and tells me it could take 15 to 30 minutes. Then she tells me that after the card gets "hit", I should reset the card by turning the TV off and on. I came back 30 minutes later and I now have channels. I turn the TV off and on again, but it didn't seem to make any difference.

However, now everything works! I have all the channels I'm supposed to. I have all the HDTV channels I wanted.

My quest had ended. I have triumphed. This stuff does work; you just have to be persistent.

Thanks Sony for your help.

Campgems D Rogers
Unregistered guest
Anonymous, do you have that Sony engineers phone #

I'm having trouble getting through Sony's support structure. One "tech" told me that you couldn't update the firmware on my TV. Like most of us, my Cable Guys are kind of in the dark. I think I've had almost all of their Techs out here. At one time, I had five trucks on the street in front of my house.

Any idea what "Hit"ing the card is. Would a 10oz ball peen hammer work?

Don

Username: Thomas_frieder

Staten Island, New York USA

Post Number: 5
the best thing abut the cable card other than the return of control to the tv manufacturer remote is the fact you get a superior picture with the TV tuner and card than with the cable box. Now before the cable companies continue to pass the buck on their continued screwups with this technology...here's a few recent examples of Time Warner's incompetence from direct experience (so much so I am now switching to satellite since they seem to be catching up in HDTV programming...I own 2 HDTV widescreen sets which accept the cable card... first it took 7 phones calls, 3 with waits over 2 hours to even try to convince the TWC phone reps that they handled the product... then after insisting they install the product...after the service reps arrived, i ended up installing it myself when they could not... I have been able to switch the card into my sony and Panasonic sets without problems even though TWC tells me it cannot be done... since then I've now stayed home all day 3 times without a sevice rep arriving and 11 more phones calls (i kid you not) and even a personal visit to their staten island main office have still kept me waiting for my second card...now that i have given up and bought satellite, let TWC try to get their stuff back without an equally reciprocal hassle..tf Staten island

Unregistered guest
I purchased a Mits WD 62725 in order to use the cablecard on Cox Cable in California. Been using it for 2 weeks with my new Mits. Worked great. for a few days, sometime yesterday it stopped passing the digital channels (incl all the Hi Def). Two calls to Cox, and four to Mits no help they said a fix is on the way as of today I have not been able to resolved it. Called the store and they said get a cable box, why did they sell that feature if they knew it would not work with a card? Paid many $ for card capability. Cable guy will arrive Tuesday to investigate. Has anybody else had the same problem?

Unregistered guest
I have had the Mitsubishi WD-52525 for nearly 3 -4 weeks and have had NUMEROUS problems... On their first attempt to install the CableCard, the COX tech was here for 4 hours before he gave up after determining that the set needed a firmware upgrade! After Mits finally got me the 4.03 update, COX came back and was able to install and initialize the CableCard but that is when the all hell broke out! We experienced breaking up of picture/sound on digital channels, occasional "161-53" error messages, and soon the digital channels stopped working completely and the TV locked up. On the third visit, two COX techs showed up and they said "it's probably the TV" firmware called Mitsi and they said we had the current firmware
COX came back a forth time, replaced the CableCard, and had everything working OK again when they left. Everything was OK for about two days, but then more breaking / freezing / blue screens on digital channels, more "161-53" error messages, and only, and I have the general feeling that Mits rushed this thing to market be the first CableCard set out. So we bought this Mitsi TV thinking that we wouldn't need a cable box (you pay quite a bit more for the built in HD tuner) and low and behold, we now find out that the firmware in the TV is outdated (don't see how that is possible) and it does not allow the TV to process all of the HD channels. Mitsubishi knew of this issue and sent us a card to fix the problem, which obviously did not work and still does not. FRY'S should not be selling this TV if they knew of the problem! We are returning it for a Samsung or credit.

Username: Rddesq

Post Number: 7
As mentioned above I also had problems with the cable card. I have a Toshiba 62HMX94 with Comcast Cable. The card was installed ok and worked great for two days. Then the sound went out then the sound came back and the picture went out. Comcast tried to fix but could not so I just gave up and got the STB which I have had about a month and it works fine.

Travis Ehlert
Unregistered guest
I'm trying to find out who's got a cablecard, which one, and what it's in.
Here's why:

Bought a Mitsubishi WS-65515, one of my points was that it has cablecard slot and the cablecard does not work.

Cable Tech spent a good two hours trying to get the card to activate all the channels with no luck. Said they've only installed about 30 of them, and half didn't work (and most of those were in Mitsubishi's).

Now I'm back to the dreaded cable box, and the HD box is about half a fast in processing requests as the non HD boxes.

Maybe somewhere, I'll can point the cable company to a card that will work.

I'll start:
TV: Mitsubishi WS-65515
Provider: Cox Cable
Card: Scientific Atlanta (model unknown).

Ken Hope
Unregistered guest
The folklore surrounding CableCARD technology is perfectly understandable given the complete lack of information available to us the consumers. Instead of dealing with these issues one-on-one with a technician and a customer, (both of whom may be equally misinformed), why not put some real information out there?
The CableCARD does not work it is as simple as that! I do my homework and have spent hundreds of hours researching point-of-deployment device technology and rules (once part of my job), and my research shows that the manufacturers do not have the firmware to support this technology.

Paula Mead
Unregistered guest
Cox Cable installed DCC on new plasma and received all the channels....for 20 minutues, then it freezes the picture and blanks out. Neither Mitsubishi nor Cox knows the answer. Has anyone else experienced this? The set is fine with the cable box, but since I have this "new" technology, I would like to use it. I need answers?????

John Raulston
Unregistered guest
I'm a salesman selling the products you mentioned (I won't disclose the company logically) I will say everything you mentioned is correct and I 100% agree, save the money get the non integrated system because Cox Communications installed a HD cable box with a two tuner DVR, and a CableCard on my Sony HDTV. With this setup, I can record two shows while watching a third. Works like a dream, the cost is minimal, and I haven't had a bit of trouble

Unregistered guest
I think we all need to show a little compassion for the cable companies. They're monopolies. What do you expect?

frankly the majority of the cable card problems posted ahead of me here appear to be with a combo of either cox cable or a Mitsu tv (why anyone would pass on the Sony product is beyond me since they now are more competitively priced and are clearly better with fleshtones and high contrast)...I had to point out the differences to most salesman when i shopped around this summer so probably the majority of salesmen out there do not know how or why there's differences)...I also noticed most stores using DVD's (especially animation) to show off their HDTV sets (don't fall for that next time, go find a true HD picture and one with people and motion to see the differences to avoid the trappings of the poorer HD sets. Back to the cable card....I have now had a cable card in my sony 42" lcd since mid September and in my panasonic edtv plasma since Oct 3 and both work flawlessly with picture easily better than the best DVD, where using the HD cable box is more susceptible to digitizing and noticably poorer in picture quality (The box is just kept around to use the menus when i look ahead 3-6 days to set up future watchings (in fact i get two more HD channels than the box gets ??).. secondly, always get the cable box with the cable card (it's supposedly free anyway) just for the interactive menus. And lastly to answer the box-less HD reception... it appears you are recieving channels with the digital over-the-air frequencies, maybe the cable company is doing it as a service,(more likely they are not even aware of it) or is it possble your cable box is also attached to some master antenna (my pace box allows this) as do most satelite dish recievers allow and you are recieving over-the-air reception just routed thru the cable box??

Anonymous

Repling to Mr. Hope
I think you hit the nail right on the head,I think the firmware for this sony tv is the problem. It receives 64 Qam signals but not 256 Qam signals and I believe the firmware on the sony's. Now I hear, four different sony tv's in this cable system and the RCA tv's are fine
Thanks

Ed Blue
Unregistered guest
I should have reviewed this website before my new purchase of the a Mitsubishi 62725 HDTV. The first and the most important feature was the cable card (which does not work in its present format). After installation by my local cable company we found out we needed to get a software upgrade for the cablecard and yes Mitsubishi did send the software update (it turned out to be useless), then they told me that S.A. was coming out with a "fix" that also did not work I have had my cable company check it out 3 times, and Mitsubishi twice, and both concluded the technology is incompatible. During the 4 weeks I've had the TV the remote would lock up & could not change channels, the screen has frozen (like a computer) seven times, no stereo sound as advertised and the there is a green halo around the head on most news broadcast like FOX or CNN. Well the list goes on and on Mitsubishi is hiding (this company is allowed to do business in our country?) all I can do is take them to court, if you are thinking of buying one I WOULD NOT I will eventually buy a Samsung in the 50"-60" range. Did I mention this is the most troublesome set on the market based on my and my attorney's research. I would like some more information from others if they are having the same issues.

Duncan Burch
Unregistered guest
RESPONSE TO CABLE GUY WHO SAID
"Gotta love the cable guys, always blame something else besides your front end. The TV's and CableCARD work fine all over the US after the cable companys set up their frontend equipment properly" THIS IS A TOTAL DISTORTION OF THE THRUTH IN FACT ALL CABLE COMPANIES ARE REPORTING MAJOR PROBLEMS WITH THE CABLECARD.
I purchased a Mitsubishi WD-52525 DLP for xmas and we have had nothing but problems, the cable company called Mitsubishi for me and they UPS'd a software fix that did not fix anything, all I get is a frozen TV and analog channels, I have called many friends who also are experiencing the same problem with their TV's. I believe that the Manufacturers shipped known problems to the retailers and the retailers said nothing because it would have ruined their Christmas sales. Therefore, the blame goes right to the retailers and manufacturers.

B Petitt
Unregistered guest
Recently purchased Mitsubishi 52525 TV. Comcast installed the cable card (Scientific Atlanta?).Have only been able to get basic cable. The retailer tells me it is Comcast problem, Comcast says it is Mitsubishi problem with TV software. I believe it version 03 and Comcast says it should be upgraded to a newer version, when I call Mitsubishi they tell me that is the latest release?
Ultimate and Mitsubishi area manager are slow to respond.

Any thoughts appreciated.

E Wolf
Unregistered guest
Now I am really discouraged! I just purchased a Sharp LC32GD6U and I'm experiencing most all of the problems discussed in this thread. TW has been out twice. Tech told me the TV needs software upgrade. I've had the set for 5 days. Maybe I'll just return it. Feeling like a sucker in San Diego!

Justin Anderson
Unregistered guest
I have a Mitsubishi WD62725, with the newest ver 4.03 firmware, trying to get COX cablecard to work. tech came out, ' he never had installed one before'. he's had no training whatsoever, is a contractor for them. He could not get anything but analog channels. he called COX supervisor, he knew nothing. He called Mitsubishi tech support, they knew nothing and said 4.o3 is the latest. I did have channel lock up, and screen froze, put in new card got control back, but only ch up and down, no direct access, no HD. Mitsubishi claims to knows nothing, COX claims to know nothing, yet I read all of this and everybody else knows a lot, are they playing me for a fool. HELP.

cableguy
Unregistered guest
Happy New Year to you all, just got back from 2 weeks vacation and wanted to share with any Mitsubishi owners that there is a newer version software (version 4.04) that is available from Mitsubishi that corrected the problem we were having getting the CableCARD operational in our system (using the SA CC). I don't want to pretend this newer version of software witll correct the problems you are having with your CC, but it did fix the one we had and wanted to share that information.

I wanted to say on a side note it's nice to have these forums up on the web that allow people like me the chance to see what issues are cropping up across the U.S. One thing I've learned is everybody is quick to complain but not as quick to be patient (oxymoron), it's new the industry is doing everything they can to correct the problems. I've seen some pretty neat stuff in the past 18 years of working for cable TV and I don't profess to know everything about the industry but I'm learning.

cableguy
Unregistered guest
a message for the annonymous posted Posted on Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 01:20 pm:

I'm curious, have you had any of the 161-6 error codes on your TV since? I know Sony should be contacting you sometime in the near future to correct the problem. In our division we had a lot of Sony TV's with the 161-6 error code and they had to replace the CC hardware and load the latest version of software to correct this problem. Sony is beta-testing this fix in our system and a few others, and once approved by their management will make these repairs available to the general public as soon as production can turn them out.
Also for the general group, in talking with the software and hardware engineers that have developed this software IT IS CRUCIAL that you send your registration information in to your respective TV manufacturers as soon as you can, so when they have hardware or software issues they know who has the affected models so they can correct the problems in a timely manners.
Hope this info helps

cableguy
Unregistered guest
P.S. message to Duncan Burch, I didn't say that..if you go back to the top of the list and see the post just above mine I copied and pasted the post from Peas. If you read the entire post I wrote on November 08, 2004 - 11:07 am, I was replying to the post Mr Peas had written and although I'm not a literary giant I think it's easy to see my feelings on the CC controversy. Yes there are problems with some cable co's, and some problems with the CC's, and some problems with the host television, I don't point fingers I simply point out where the problems exist and what I'm seeing from my 18 years experience in the cable business. Yes there are a lot of complaints that the cable co is getting about these cards not working properly and they are being forwarded to our contacts at the respective host TV engineers so we can find the solution. Sony for example has come out to our division 3 times to look into the problem and because they left their labs, and came out into the real world, they were able to see first hand the problems we were having and found what they needed to correct their equipment and software issues. Scientific Atlanta had come out with them and corrected a software problem with their CC's and all I've had to do was wait for them to correct what they needed to correct and everything is working fine now.

Patience is a virtue, to me it's a requirement :o)

TY LHOTA
Unregistered guest
to cable guy i just received from mitsi version 4.04 and it only fixes the stereo issue still same problem in droping down to analog and freezing up with weird colors, some times the screen goes blue and then locks up, Mitsi said another patch in the works with them and SA. Why are they selling this product with so many issues?

E Wolf
Unregistered guest
FYI: I called Sharp customer service today and told them TWC said I needed software update. Sharp wanted to know how many cablecards tech tried. I said one. They said the cable tech needs to try more cards, perhaps as many as six! So...I called TWC. Customer service didn't know what to say so referred my problem to supervisor. Haven't heard anything more. I understand this is new technology and the problem is multifactorial, but the consumer is really left hanging.

B Bryan
Unregistered guest
I also have the same proble with my new Mitsi 62" and TWC is of no help other than saying I need a S/W upgrade from Mitsi

B Bryan
Unregistered guest
I also have the same proble with my new Mitsi 62" and TWC is of no help other than saying I need a S/W upgrade from Mitsi

A. Arnold
Unregistered guest
I have a Mitsubishi WD52725 software version V26 004.03; it's been in since Dec 1st. The day they (Comcast) came out to install the card (Motorola) it worked right away but only for the free HDTV then I asked for the digital package, and they could not get it to reset with a new hit. They tried for about a ½ hr, so they got another card and it took several hits and a ½ hr to get it going. It worked great for several days then all digital channels were dropped, I called Comcast and they said to replace the card. But the next day it was working and is still working to this day. I am very disappointed in the FCC agreeing and allowing them to create a one way cablecard especially with today's technologies, also I am disappointed with Mitsubishi for having PIP and not allowing a digital channel to be swapped especially since the old analog signal will be eventually dropped. I also have an occasional lock up with the remote. And I'm sure Comcast won't support ChannelView's guide when they have there own guide that you can't get with the card.

cableguy
Unregistered guest
Once again we start from square one...sigh... As far as the problem TY LAHOTA is describing I haven't heard anything back from the "lone" Mitsubishi customer with a CC, so I can assume no news is good news. Version 4.04 may have had some other patch fixes in it addressing an audio issue but I know they had something in there to allow the time stamp to be recognized. In the CC menu there is a CP information section and there is a line that says Powerkey Status: before version 4.04 that line read " not ready-waiting for time" and now it says " ready ".
I see a lot of people referring that TWC is of no help other then recommending a software upgrade on the host sets, where I work we can only cross reference CC issues by comparing them to other host sets. If, for example, a RCA CC is not working we can take that CC and plug it into a Sony (which has had the CC slot hardware and software from Sony updated) and the card works fine, not saying that is an absolute finger pointing at RCA, it just means we need to figure out why it's not working in the RCA. It could be plant related, Host TV issues or SA CC issues. It's interesting from my vantage point, since I am in charge of getting these cards installed and operational, how hard it is to get support and answers from all 3 entities involved..my company, the SA people and the respective host TV support. I can honestly say everybody I've talked with to get answers all agree that it should be working but don't always know why it's not..they're software engineers and hardware engineers and I'm just a cable guy...but as I've said before I'm learning. I have no choice to be patient because I can't magically wave my cable wand and fix the problem, but I can assure you that I don't patiently sit and wait either lol.... I call some vendors at least once a day if not more and pretty much hound them for answers. I can't fix it if I don't know what's causing it to not work, and when they don't know, quite frankly who does? I agree with A.Arnold about the FCC agreeing to all the one way CC, especially when we already know the two-way CC is in the works...the consumer, in this case most of you who participate in this forum spent premo dollars to get something that is yesterdays news. I really do feel sorry that the industry allows this. The STB on screen guide that we provide is missed sorely by those currently using the CC's in our system, and according to those I've spoken with say it's ulitmately the host manufacturer that will need to create the software to allow similar features....sigh...we can all guess how that's gonna come out.

Anyway...again thanks for making this forum a learning vessel for me. I have gained a lot of knowledge just by reading some of the issues and more importantly the replies from some of techno-geek-a-philes (endearing term I use for people that know about their EQ) I did feel obligated to defend some of the harsher attacks against cable companies, not to say we don't have problems, but to hopefully let some of you know...some of us do actually care about what we are doing and I do.

Username: Hammerhead

Taking time out of my day to meet Comcast and get upgraded to Digital Basic with HDTV using a CableCard. My set is a Mitsu WD52725 (fw ver 4.03) which I love. Now, I've run into the same squirrely issues many of you have experienced with this set. All basic (analog) and all digital/HD channels were initially there, now the entire digital spectrum is gone.

The Comcast tech did a great job assisting in my plight, calling the head end and asking them to double-check everything. Attempted two resets and checked all inside cabling. Eveything was fine. Additionally, Mitsu tech support (866-252-4333 option 4) was very helpful, pointing out fw 4.04 corrects many cable card issues, if not all (I would personally never go that far) and immediately escalated the issue to Consumer Relations to get me the fw update. I called Mitsu Consumer Relations directly (949-830-8364) and they're overnighting me the upgrade. That's service.

I can see all sides of the issue here. Fortunately, I'm technically inclined and very patient, so my understanding from so many years handling customer and user issues, dealing with firmware upgrades and equipment incompatibilities tells me this is probably not Comcast's issue. Although, if I were Comcast, I would have one or two CableCard sets available and test them with their headends at sample locations in their network. This is a holistic approach and makes good business sense. They are providing the card and the service. Non-technically inclined customers are normally going to come down on the cable providers because that is who they are paying. They are manning the front lines. They probably trust folks like Mitsu and Motorola/SA have engineered the products according the specs outlined by the standards body. This is not always the case. This is all software. It's unfortunate we, as end users, have to bear some of the time and occasional expense to get these issues resolved. Comes with the territory.

Those with new Mitsu DLPs, call for your firmware upgrade and retry your CableCard. I'll followup once I receive the new firmware and upgrade my set.

Best,
Hammerhead

cableguy
Unregistered guest
To Hammerhead:
Thanks for the positive approach to this problem, I hope all goes well with ver 4.04. In regards to your mentioning of Comcast having one or two CC sets to test with, logistacally speaking, it's next to impossible for a cable provider to have every make (RCA,Sony,Mistsu etc..) but I was able to get our TW cable division to see the need to purchase at least one (Sony)set for testing/training purposes at our tech center. They bought a second one for our headend so we could verify at our source and our tech center simulates a field test of eq. So far that works fine, with the exception that the problems Sony TV's have, don't always amount to what the other manufacturers are experiencing. I've been hearing rumor that there will be some form of STB with CC abilities so we can take the STB to the field and verify there is no problems with our plant or house drop. I look forward to seeing if the fw ver 4.04 resolves your problem

A quick update...

The new Mitsu 4.04 firmware should be in today and will post my experience. Although, I would like to share the results of a minor experiment I performed this weekend.

As I stated in my first post, my entire digital spectrum vanished with the Comcast CableCard installed even though the channel ID's always displayed for the digital stations. First, I double-checked everything on my end to make sure I didn't make any mistakes. None. I went and purchased a Terk OTA Indoor VHF/UHF HDTV antenna (connected to the ANT-2 input) to see if HD DTV stations would come in using this method. When I asked the set to scan the stations, it detected digital channels, but did not distplay them. Hmmmm. Still the same gray screen I was getting using the CableCard on ANT-1. So, no digital channels on either cable or OTA. The possibility hit me that the set may be somewhat "confused" and had forgotten what to do with digital signals.

Being in the computer field for so long, one knows a good hard reboot/reset solves some issues. So, why not perform a hard reset?

On the front of my Mitsu 52725 there is a small System Reset button on the front panel. The manual states to use the reset if the remote or the TV does not respond. Since the remote and set were still working, it's possible something else "froze", an internal subsystem. So, I used a small screwdriver and reset the system. When the set restarted, all digital channels were there, even the amazing Discovery Channel HD. When I switched to ANT-2, the OTA DTV channels were there. Excellent!

Was able to watch "24" last night in Hi-Def (Note: 24 is filmed in 720p). Since the Mitsu has a digital audio out jack, I ran a coax line to my AVR and listened in surround sound.

Bottomline, I'm becoming a happy camper.

Best,
Hammerhead

Post Number: 9
just a brief clarification on the 2 high-def resolutions ... it's not that 24 is filmed in 720p, it's that currently half the stations choose that broadcast method and the other half choose the 1080i format.. I've been led to believe that most hidef shows are fimed in even higher quality than both methods but at the moment only those 2 resolutions are currently used for broadcast... at the moment CBS, NBC and PBS broadcast at 1080i (as do most cable satellite services as HBO, SHO, Discovery, etc.) and FOX and ABC (as well as ESPN) use the 720p method... I've found the 720p method better for high motion shows as sports broadcasts while the high detail things like all those nature and travel shows that PBS and discovery channel air seem better suited for the 1080i method. I've never seen the UPN and WB via HD as we cannot access over the air channels due to building blockages but according to the HDTV website they also broadcast at 1080i, I'll leave that to anyone who recieves them to comment. It makes you wonder what's going to be the next step in resolution as I've seen some of those D-VHS tapes that surpass DVD's and current HDTV broadcasts at some circuit city stores.

Thomas,

Thanks for the clarification. In my Googling around, I ran across a site that stated the note about "24" and 720p. I could not find any technical information about the methods used to film "24" on the FOX site so I had to revert to other sources.

In addition, I'm curious as to what resolutions and gear are used for the higher quality filming you mentioned. From the statement you made, I'm making the logical assumption that FOX's Hidef broadcast of "24" could be much better and what is being broadcasted has been shrunk from it's original filming resolution. Would this be correct?

As for OTA, I'm being informed that OTA broadcasts will be of somewhat higher visual quality than compressed/decompressed cable hidef, even though OTA HD is broadcasted at the same resultion as cable HD. Is this correct?

I'm curious as to why 720p would be more advantageous for fast motion than 1080i. Each camera should be just as fast as the other. As long as the digital storage and broadcast bandwidth are available, why not use the best you can?

Thanks for the clarifications. Good info.

Hammerhead

Post Number: 10
ok ... the differences between 1080i and 720p are that one is interlaced (like old TV signals are broadcast)...half the lines alternating) and the other is a constant 720 lines so motion appears smoother...as is why progressive scan DVD players are an improvement over the older model players... D-vhs (digital vhs was JVC's upgrade of S-vhs (super vhs)...for a short while some S-vhs prerecorded tapes were available and matched or surpassed laser discs in the late 80's for the resolution crown...same with D-vhs (there's a few JVC/RCA/pansonic/mitsu decks put out that were geared to record off satellite recievers) and a few places put out certain popular movies in this format..although the tapes run at about $20 a pop for about 2 hours length .. there's a few HDTV websites that mention these facts... one off the top of my head is HDTVPUB.com

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
A quik update on those D-VHS Hi-def tapes I mentioned above ... I was hunting around for cheap HDMI and RG6 cables and found a great store (Interstate Electronics) in Hazlet NJ that stocks at least 50 of those pre-recorded HD tapes that stared me right in the face as a walked into this electronic paradise...this place also has those DVI/DHMI adapters and at least 2 models of the JVC D-vhs recorder decks and one of the few stores selling HD sets using an HDTV signal to display them as opposed to the hundreds of chains using DVD's ??...highly recommended if you're able to get there

Post Number: 4
OK, as promised, a quick update on the Mitsu firmware upgrade...

Received the Mitsu 4.04 firmware for my WD52725. The installation involves disconnecting power, inserting the provided flash card in slot 3 on the front panel and plugging the set back in (but not turning it on). Took about three minutes. When the firmware was updated, the set turned on automatically. That's it. Oh yeah, if you don't return their flash card, they won't honor your warranty (don't know how enforceable that statement is). They supply a UPS ARS sticker and envelope for the return so it won't cost you a dime. All my settings were maintained; nothing lost.

When I switched to the cable input to check out my HD channels, all digital channels were gone sans a few HD channels. Very strange. I called Mitsu tech support and they said I needed to call the cable company and ask them to reinitialize the card. Note: this important informational tidbit was not outlined in the upgrade documentation Mitsu provided. Called Comcast who reset the card immediately. All the channels came back. Haven't gone through all menus to see if anything has been changed/added, but did notice that one of the CableCard status items displayed SUBSCRIBED instead of WAIT_TO_START (Could be wrong... this is from memory).

So far, so good.

My next feat will be to get a large UHF/VHF antenna in the attic to pick up the OTA/DTV channels. I've just run a 100' RG6 from my basement to my attic using unused central vaccum lines as conduit. Hey, I wanna see Jennifer Garner in HD and Comcast doesn't provide ABC HD yet. Also, I'm told the PBS HD programming is quite impressive at times.

So it goes...

Best,
Hammerhead

cableguy
Unregistered guest
~applause~
Hammerhead, I'm glad to hear everything went smooth (if you like a few bumps along the way)in getting your system operational. I'm kinda curious about you wanting to hook-up an antenna to pick up OTA/DTV channels. The reason behind this is, if my memory holds correct, when I hooked up the CC to our lone Mitsu beta-tester, I believe it greyed out his other antenna. I thought this kinda strange because I hadn't seen this happen with any Sony's I had hooked up to, and it stuck out because that's a nice feature for cable customers to have in case something goes wrong with the CC, they can switch antenna inputs for the OTA/DTV signals. If you can, since your CC is inserted and operational, could you check and see if your other antenna is accessible? thanks in advance.

Cableguy,

Both antennas are absolutely available with the cablecard installed. On the Mitsu with the cable card installed, it requires your cable lead to be connected to ANT1. You can connect another antenna to ANT2 and it *is* available. The reason I wish to do this is for three reasons:

1) Comcast does not carry ABC HD programming for my area. In addition, I'm told the local PBS HD programming is great and not carried on Comcast.
2) In case the cable goes out, I have a backup.
3) It is my understanding OTA HD broadcasts are better because they are *not* compressed. Picture quality is supposed to be much better.

As soon as I figure out what antenna I'm going to stick in the attic, I'll let you know.

Best,
Hammerhead

cableguy
Unregistered guest
Hammerhead,

Thanks for the update, on the flip-side I have bad news for all those 4.04 Mitsu people out there. My lone Mitsu customer left a message for me this past weekend, his CC is no longer working. He's missing all of his encrypted channels. I'll keep you posted as I find out what's going on.....

.....sigh....
cableguy

Post Number: 6
Cableguy,

Reread my previous posts. That happened to me as well. Actually, I lost *all* digital channels until I had Comcast reinitialize my card from the headend. All channels came back in short order. If this procedure does not work, ask your customer to press the reset button on the front panel and retry. If it still does not work, then the card may be bad.

I will tell you this.. the area where the cablecard slot is located on the rear of the Mitsu keeps the cablecard very warm. Pull it out sometime after the set has been on a while and you'll see what I mean. Surrounding the cc slot are exhaust holes where warm air blows out. Having an elementary knowledge of electronics, this design cannot be the best. I'm attempting to determine what the designers/engineers were thinking here.

Another issue I noticed... the cablecard came preconfigured from Comcast with *all* possible channels configured, even though I can only view what I ordered. This would be okay if I could configure the set to skip over the channels where there is no picture, but I cannot. The Mitsu will not let me 'Delete' (via the Antenna menu) any cablecard stations. If you wish to surf channels, bring a snack and some patience. The channels change very slowly on the Mitsu, especially the digital stations. More than likely, this is because of digital buffering.

Other than all this, my set is working very well. The football playoffs looked incredible. Even my father, who has a C-Band/HiDef config was amazed at the quality of the Mitsu picture. Just stunning.

Best,
Hammerhead

cableguy
Unregistered guest
Hammerhead,
Yes, I read the post, I think my intention was just to post that mine finally crashed too. I already had the head-end remarry the CC and re-initialize it, no avail. Getting the customer to reset the TV may be easier for me to just go do it, if you get the picture lol. I'll be taking another card with me just in case the card did go bad.
Curious, how often do you have to reset yours? Do you only have to reboot the TV, or do you physically have to remove and re-insert the CC? The reason I ask this, is because the customer's TV is encased in a shelve system and not easy to get access to the CC slot without moving 300lb items.
Yes all the CC's get very warm, if not boderline hot, I mentioned this to the Sony reps that were here looking into their problems, all I got was the card is designed to operate within certain parameters, and their is a heat shield designed to buffer some of that heat. Bottom line, the CC still gets warm and who knows..maybe we could all be wrong...maybe heat is a good thing where electronics are concerned (and I have a 92 inch tube TV for sale if anybody is interested)

Anyway, back to square one again and I'll let you know how things go. I'll be looking for your steps on what you have to do and how often you have to do it, so I can pass this along to the customer and also to the Mitsu engineers that we call for tech support.

Cableguy,

I've only had to press the Reset button a couple times, once after the initial visit by Comcast (which returned all digital stations after they disappeared) and then again after the new firmware was uploaded. Although, the last reset was probably not necessary since the cc required a reinit from the headend. Both resets were performed only to see if my digital channels returned. Also, after you reinit the cc card on the headend, press the Device menu on the Mitsu remote and go through the cc status and config menus. Make sure everything looks proper. And double check the cc ID (or whatever it's called) to make sure your head end config is correct for the card. If I were you, I would take two cablecards on your next visit. I realize the cable companies treat these goodies as gold, but you should have more than one just in case.

By the way, what is the manufacturer and version of the cablecard you are using? I believe I posted this earlier, mine is a Motorola version 4.05. Also, is there a line amp, splitters or anything else in the path? When my installer came, we replaced a splitter, removed a line amp and disconnected the cable line from an APC surge protector. Splitter dependent, you will loose approx. 3.5dB of signal. If you have to, run a separate line from the cable line coming into the house directly to the ANT lead on the set, bypassing all inhouse wiring. Of course, make sure it's all RG6 (I'm sure you know this). I use Digicon connectors (just happened to have some from a cable buddy) for everything, no twist-ons. Make my own cables and jumpers. Everything is solid.

If the manufacturers were smart, they would place the cc slot on the front of the set rather than having to shove it in the butt. How easy would that be for all?

LOL on the heat thingy. I'll buy that 92" tube from you tomorrow. Do you have any bridges for sale?

I'll be interested on your results.

Best,
Hammerhead

Unregistered guest
Cable Guy,

Been reading this post with interest. I have a Mitsi WD-52725 purchases in 10/04 with CableCard provided by Comcast in Baltimore, Maryland. I too have had numerous CC issues and have been sent in a circle. I have upgraded to Mitsi SW V04.04 and have just had a second Motorola card installed (V04.05). The two SW upgrades helped with the remote lock ups and seemed to help with some of the CC issues. Don't think they really made a heck of a difference. Lost some and all of digital channels several times and had to call and have the card hit. My cable guy just spent 2 hours troubleshooting my last CC issue to no avail. Which is: I have HD digital service and when they first came out and installed the first card everything was fine and good. Everything worked, including the 'guide' on the remote. Yeah, I know no Comcast TV Guide. But the Mitsi has a TV guide button of it's own. When pushed (and working) it will display channels and names of shows. This worked for about 1 day and has not worked since. Comcast says it's the TV. I've had a repairman out. Mitsi says it's the card. I've had it replaced, plus the SW upgrades. What's your take on your lone Mitsi user? Do you know if he can get the guide? Shouldn't I be able to see all that program info when I push 'guide'? Please help. I'm thinking about returning the TV even though the picture is terrific. For $3.2K I think everything should work.

cableguy
Unregistered guest
Hammerhead,
We're using the SA CC, SW ver 1.48 No I don't have any bridges for sale but I have some STB's that have only been used once or twice...ok ok honestly they we owned by a little ol' lady who only watched QVC 24-7 x 10 years. The other channels work, but they're a little dusty.
I'll see if I can get the customer to try the reset trick on his TV, but we'll have to see if he can do this first.
Denise, sorry to hear about your troubles...sigh..notice the run around..Comcast says call Mitsu, Mitsu says call Comcast....Welcome to the newest game show on the market " Who's fault is it?" I've tried to make heads or tails as to who to point fingers at but I just can't do it. The bottom line is it's not working, and Comcast, Motorola, and Mitsu need to collectively work together to figure out what the problem is. Therein lies the problem, getting third party vendors to work with first and second. I've had good support from Sony, RCA and Mitsu, but I'm dealing with the engineers that made the product, and I don't work for Comcast and we don't use Motorola cards here. My only suggestion would be, as previously stated, please please please have a little patience while they figure out what is the root cause and find a solution...on the same note I would be firm in dealing with both Mitsu and your Cable Co....patience has it's limits, as long as they can show you they are actively looking for a solution, then all you can do is wait. I wish I had a better answer for you, but I don't and I hope you understand the logistical nightmare that was created with this new toy. Everything will eventually be worked out, it's just the waiting that really stinks. The guide issue you're having probably won't work until they come out with the 2-way CC, and that's a whole new can of worms people are going to be talking about when the 2-way's come out...and there you sit with a 1-way. I'll continue to post any new information I can gather, cause I hope we all can benefit from any new developements.

I'm going to watch my 92" tube TV and crank up my 1972 Harman-Kardon Citation Fourteen FM tuner...and pretend CC's are just something I see on a rerun of some black and white Star Trek episode

best intentions, highest regards...
cableguy

Username: For

I just ordered for delivery next week a Sony KDF-55WF655. From the nightmares listed above i am considering NOT even calling Cox for the cable card! I have a HD box ready to hook into. Should i stay away from the card for the time being as I have enough frustrations already in my life or should I give it a try? Does anyone know if the software on this tv should be current (is it ever?) or has anyone tried this tv with cox cable card. thanks - marty

cableguy
Unregistered guest
Marty,
Contact Sony and see what they tell you. We've had some issues with Sony, that they have found a fix for, but they need to know what model and seriel number TV you have. This information will help them if you have to get the firmware and software updated in your TV to correct the known issue with CC technology
Good luck, and keep the forum posted if you don't mind.
cableguy

Mike Meredith
Unregistered guest
Have a Toshiba 46HM94. Started the quest to make CC work 21 Dec04. Five cards and a month latter and I'm still waiting. Problem appears as the inability to change channel from whatever state the TV was powered up in. No channels programmed. Have seen the infamous error code 161-4. Motorola card/Comcast. Head-end people swear the setup is good from their end. Ran cable direct from curbside box. They have given up, told me I need to call service on the TV. I'm the patient type but does this sound right?

Greer, SC USA

Well, its been awhile since I updated this forum. The cable guy and I have been trying to figure out problems with the my Sony KDF42WE655 and the cablecard (Motorola) that Charter offers.

We have found a WE655 that does accept the card. It turns out that in the bios or firmware for the TV or the Q-module (I believe this is the cablecard interface module) indicates a WEM version of 1.001U in my TV, while the WE655 that accepts the card has a WEM version of 1.101U. I have been in contact with a Sony repair place in the area and the guy there has emailed Sony Japan for an explaination. By the way Sony has been NO help...

We will wait and see....

cableguy
Unregistered guest
Mike and Ed,

Mike contact Toshiba, the 161-4 error code has been reported on other venues and you should make sure they are aware you are having this problem.

Ed, I got an email from my Sony contact that you should be able to call the Sony customer support number and arrange to have your TV repaired. My understanding of the Sony fix is they will need to swap our your CC slot ( I think it's in the tuner box) and update your software. Call 1-800-222-7669 for Sony. I'm wondering though, have you seen any of the 161-XX error codes at all on your Sony?

Greer, SC USA

Cableguy...
Thanks for the info.
Yes, it comes back with a 161-4 error after trying to detect channels. Althought, I thought that the cablecard would have all the channels and that the TV would not detect them anyway??

I will check with Sony..

LeadTechCable
Unregistered guest
Ahh the Infamous 161 error codes....which Sony knows all about.They are duplicating and working on the firmware fix.

Unregistered guest
Found the source for error codes. Did a Google on ANSI/SCTE 28. Very good information on the protocol. I wish all involved parties would study and be better informed.
Toshiba said the 161-4 indicates a CC problem. Local TV repair says there's a known Motorola CC problem and that's all the Toshiba legal dept. would let them say. Nothing like going in circles. You would think there would be a process were pieces of the link could be validated.

cableguy
Unregistered guest
Ah the complexities of it all!

Anybody out there with the LG CC TV's, there is a firmware patch available,reportedly, on the internet. If you have the SA CC, it would probably benefit you to contact LG and find out how to get this download.

Best regards,

cableguy

Frustrated
Unregistered guest
Anyone have experience with Comcast Cable Cards & Panisonic TV's?

Frustrated
Unregistered guest
One more question/comment on cable cards. I like to listen to the Comcast supplied music channels. I have a home theater system and have the speakers turned off on the TV. I turn my Plasma screen off to prevent burn in and save gas life. If I get a cable card I won't be able to enjoy the music without having the TV powered up will I?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
in my best ed mcmahon voice..."you are correct sir", in that case use the included cable box. You should always have one for interactive use anyway and it's free....the cable card's advantage is returning full use of the TV remote, leaves the cable box free for the user to record/watch a second scrambled channel and offers a better picture. By the way, with tons of better independent music out there on college radio and other smarter music stations, you're missing out by listening to bland record industry fed cable music...be adventurous, those channels are equivalent to muzak..it's like MTV was during the days of new wave, etc., playing the same old, same old

Frustrated
Unregistered guest
Thomas, I see you posted earlier that you have a Panasonic ED. Is it the 42pd25U? That is the model I just picked up. I assume Cable Card has not been a problem?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
you are correct chicago dude...I have the 37 inch model and it has worked fine for 4 months....as a major SONY fan it took some time to win me over but i'm glad it did, although I'm still hooked on the SONY LCD's in that direction..the plasma makes a great bedroom set (i find the BBE sound adequate by itself, even with DVD's...others have criticized it)...I will also add that you must be pretty compfortable with your cable channels lineup and schedule when you go the cable card route since you will lose those channel guide menus other than just the channel name (put the box into an auxillary input for that purpose) but the picture improvement is noticeable and it's nice to just use a single remote to fall asleep with and has great contrast and fleshtones, I found it about equal to the "PX" HD models and the price was right (just under $2k).... enjoy it

cableguy
Unregistered guest
follow-up Mitsu question: Anybody with 4.04 still having problems with the CC not working, even though it did for a few days? I'm getting ready to contact Mitsu again to find out what they know about this issue and see if they've been hearing of any problems as well.

~wiping tear from eye~ can somebody sell me a 1970 magnavox with no cable jack..you remember the ones...just UHF/VHF 350 ohm connections??? there's no place like home, there's no place like home....

Post Number: 8
Cableguy,

My Mitsu 52725/4.04 FW/Motorola 4.05CC/Comcast headend salad still tastes great. Tonight: TILT in hidef.

Hammerhead

endeeinn
Unregistered guest
I too paid good money for a HDTV Sharp LC-26GD4U in order to have a CableCard TV without the STB in the bedroom. Today TW came out to put in a card ... didn't know anything .. I read the Sharp instructions and we came close. The card did a firmware update, read the TV channels, but never gave a picture or sound ( you can go to the stations but just a black screen). Cable guy says he can't stay all day and leaves. Call Sharp and they gave the same line about tring 6 cards .. I thought it was bull as it would mean that Scientific Atlanta was producing and shipping up to 85% defective cards but either Sharp doesn't bat an eye at giving the same bull line over and over again or there is something to it. A couple of months ago I got a Panasonic plasma and had the very 1st CableCable TW installed. After an hour things worked OK except that while surfing the digital channels would drop out. TW told me it was a know software problem and that Scientific Atlanta was working on .. about a month later everything woked fine and still continues. So based on that, it may not be the TV but the software code. Bottom line is who knows??? What's worse yet is the only one who cares is me... nobody else does... Sharp sold the TV, Scientific Atlanta sold the cards-they don't care if they work or not-next generation is coming out anyway, TW doesn't care is the card works or not as the rental on a cable set top box is more than a cablecard. I could have got a EDTV Sharp and saved $1000 and a whole lot of grief.

Username: Comet2002

This is a terrific board !

Cable Guy, Everyone else,

I bought the Sony KDF-50WE655 in late November.

My problem is a few channels don't come in. I guess the problem is "tiling." Comcast put a new line in. Didn't correct the problem. The channels that do not work are 207 (Westerns), 881 and 882 (Special HD channeks offered by Comcast.) Comcast had tried two or three cards. They said they believe the TV needs to be serviced. I can't remember what the tech said the problem might be. Maybe he said the "sensor." Thank goodness Fox HD, CBS HD, and ABC HD all look awesome, especially during Pats games !!!!!

Sony was closed today. I will try them on Monday.

Any guesses where this problem lies? Has Sony issued software/hardware updates on this set? Or is the issue probably the CableCARD. That's probably manufactured by Motorola, right? Does the fact that only a few HD and/or Digital channels don't work tend to mean the problem is the TV or the Cable Company/CableCARD manufacturer?

Go Pats !!!

Charlie S
Unregistered guest
In most Sony T.V.'s the problem is with the cable card slot. It will need to be replaced by Sony and they will send a tech out to your house to fix it.

Thank you, Charlie.

I'll see if that is what Sony recommends when I call them this week.

Username: Joelgua

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi guys. We set up the cc yesterday and I have to say I'm getting a little frustrated with the reg channels. Even without the HD shouldnt this TV look a little better than a reg tube TV? The channels are worse than on a regular TV. Could it be how it is hooked up? Is there a certain way to hook up the box for the best picture?

cableguy
Unregistered guest
Larry,
Charlie is 100% correct, and you do need to contact Sony to have the problem corrected. I'm curious though, are you seeing any 161-XX error codes?

Joel,

There are multiple reasons as to why your analog channels don't look as good on your new TV. One thing I would recommend is that you set up a service call with your cable company and have the technician check your RF levels at the set. If they are not at least +0 you might need in an inhouse amplifier. If you have multiple TV's in your house, the more TV's the more signal loss per split to feed them all. Also the type of cable you are using could be contributing to the quality of signal. The size of your TV, the video settings of your TV and how close to the TV you are sitting all contribute to the quality of picture you see. In my quest for learning about issue's people are having with their TV's with cable I ran across this article in another High Def Forum : http://www.highdefforum.com/showthread.php?t=2765

As you can see by the write up this gentleman did it goes in depth to explain why SD pictures look the way they do on your HD TV. Hope this helps.

Best regards,
cableguy

Username: Joelgua

cableguy! I also have dish network. and some of the channel look really bad. I think it is a mit.issue..mit is sending someone to look at my set. i will keep u posted ......

Charlie S.
Unregistered guest
The most error codes i see from Sony t.v.'s are 161-6. Also Cableguy you are correct. Your RF levels need to as close to 0 as possible. I can't stress how important it is that your signal's be in this range. Also our system operates upto 1000mhz and if you have and splitters in your home network that are rated 600 or 400 mhz below you will need to change them. I think our digital channels start at like 545.00 mhz. If you have a 400 mhz splitter in your network and behind a CC or Digital box you will not recive any digital channels and that includes HD channels. You may want to get the tech to trace this down to see if thats the problem. It wouldnt hurt!!!

Thanks Cable Guy,

Regarding error codes, such as the 161-xx being mentioned here, would they show up on my screen on the channels that are not working properly?

Or is there another place to look for error codes? I have never seen a message mentioning error, so I really think my problem lies with Comcast, not Sony.

I spoke with Sony yesterday, and they said if it is only three channels, and the problem was the same with both the cable card and the box, then the problem is with Comcast.

cableguy
Unregistered guest
Larry,

Hopefully you will never see those error codes, but if your TV detects a problem, it will display the error message on your screen. Make sure you write down what the error message is, as this information is useful to the technician in order to pass this along to the respective manufacturer for solution. There is no place on your TV to look for these codes, like I stated, it will appear when there is a reason to appear.

Charlie, thanks for the vote of confidence lol, it's been a neat learning process for me, and as we grow, the knowledge base grows with it. I kind of like how the thread is staying alive as each new person comes along looking for answer's or giving information on how and what they're seeing problems with. Great group of people we have here.

cableguy
Unregistered guest
shhhhhhh,.....be vewwy vewwy quiet.

I'm hunting CableCARDS

~tapping microphone~ is this thing on?

John_H
Unregistered guest
We have a Sharp LC-32GD6U. The cable company is Time-Warner, and the CableCard is Scientific Atlanta. We just upgraded from an analog cable box to the CableCard. The installation took 4 hours, but the technician stuck with it and it does actually work, now. Here is the situation so far.

The picture quality is excellent using the CableCard, a very noticable improvement.

The occasional problems are these:
1) The sound breaks up
2) the picture freezes
3) superimposed on a channel that is working, we get -- sometimes -- a message box insisting that says no broadcast is available. Even though we are looking at one.
4) It takes a long, long, long time to change channels. Many seconds. Channel surfing is a thing of the past.

What should I do next? Can any of these problems be fixed? Or is this just the State of the Art right now?

Put another way, what went wrong here? Is it a flawed installation, a faulty card, or something wrong with the TV?

I notice some of the posts here talk about updating the TV's firmware. Would this help and, if so, how would I go about it?

Many thanks for your insights.

Regards, John

Post Number: 9
John,

Remember this... any digital channel, which includes the hidef channels, is a one-way data stream being pushed at you. Have you ever watched streaming video or listened to streaming audio from the Internet? Always, the player used has to buffer a portion of the data before it displays the picture or starts the audio. The nature of the beast. Well, digital cable is the same way. The reason it takes a while to switch stations is because of digital buffering. Usually this process takes about 4 seconds. If it's taking longer, then there could be other issues. These issues could be causing your problems of sound breakup and picture freeze.

What I'm thinking here is you have some line quality issues. Suggest removing any splitters, line amps, anything which would cause signal loss. You may even want to run a direct line from your cable coming into your residence directly to the set. Oh yeah, make sure it's RG6 and not RG59 cable. Make sure your in-home wiring is all RG6. Eliminate the cable going through any surge protection devices. If you require a splitter, get a *good* one. Not all splitters are created equal. Contact your cable company for a recommendation or peruse the boards. Caveat emptor.

If you still have the issues, Then it's something outside of the wiring. Hate to use the chain/weakest link cliche here, but it fits. It needs found and eliminated. Unfortunately, you have to do some of this legwork.

Best to you,
Hammerhead

Unregistered guest
just to add to the fine suggestions above... the slow HD channel loads also happen with directv, so there's no escaping it... i'm always browsing other channels during commercial breaks and have been burned by not getting back to the HD channel sooner with the delay to display it...and we got the same digitizing problems when i had cable HD/digital.. it tended to happen consistently more often on certain channels (Discovery HD, PBS HD (also Trio non-HD) in our area of NYC) and certain wet and windy days were more noticeable...not sure you'll get rid of it all the time till almost all the wiring is upgraded throughout all the way back to the source

John_H
Unregistered guest
Thank you for your suggestions. The set has a signal strength indicator, intended for use in adjusting the antenna, calibrated from 0-100. The menu suggests the set wants to see at least a 60 on this scale. Maybe it is a dB scale. Most of the channels show signal strength in a range of about 75-85. "Weak" but workable channels tend to be low channel numbers like 4 and 5, and register in the range 71-75. Most of the channels show a range 84-86. The HDTV channels register around 90.

I played with the system, checking changes against the signal strength meter. I eliminated the splitters, substituted different splitters, tried different cables,etc. Nothing much to report from this in terms of changed signal strength.

I went to Radio Shack and purchased some "gold plated" wall outlets, which are basically male/male F connectors. These degraded the signal by 5 points, so I went back to the originals.

In short, I think the system has adequate signal strength. Some channels are weaker than others but all but one seem solidly in the 80-90 range. That one (digital Channel 126 in New York) is so weak as to be rarely detectable. A signal problem, but probably not at the root of my particular problem.

Maybe there is some way to re-boot the CableCard? If I extract and then re-seat the card in its slot, will I lose the service, have to call TW, etc? Or should it automatically reset itself?

Thank you again for your help.

John

Unregistered guest
On the 2 HDTv sets i own, the signal meter only works with over the air signals. Digital cable channels just seem to be fussier than the old analog signals as I had a bunch of panasonic and terk video switchers used to direct the box to the correct vcr, etc. ...these cut down the signal on a bunch of channels everytime i tried to use them and they had worked fine for years b4 i got digital cable... as to the removal of the cable card...I have two different brand sets (panasonic plasma and sony lcd) but only one cable card and for the past 2-3 months i regularly switched the card into each TV depending on which room's set i was plopped down in front of and never had one problem with it, both sets immediately overrode the unscambled channels i used for input before the card and took over flawlessly...just be careful doing so since it is a delicate piece of equipment and you pay for it if you bend some contact, etc. ...one last point, you cannot use any of those cable signal boosters/amps either with digital cable

John_H
Unregistered guest
Thank you.

Turned off the set, pulled the CableCard, waited a couple of minutes, and re-seated the CableCard in the slot. When I turned the Sharp TV back on, the system reported no signal. I surfaced the menu, entered "Channel Memory," and let it re-discover all the channels. When the card finished thinking, the TV started working again.

It seems a little better. Fewer freezes, fewer moments of silence, fewer spurious error reports.

Tried it a second time, but no further gains. The system now and then fails to display certain channels, reporting "no broadcast" on a black screen. The signal strength may show 85, yet no picture appears. Then, after a very long time, like 25 seconds, a picture may finally come up.
Or not.

I noticed on the face of the card that it is dated. Late December, 2004. Maybe this was its latest software update.

I am thinking about backtracking to a cable box, just to get a more reliable system, but I don't want to give up this superb, if dodgy, picture reception. Live with it a while, I guess.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us