Sony KDF-42/55/60 WE655

Eitaporra
Unregistered guest
Hey guys.
Was browsing CNET for reviews, and saw these sets.
Any info on these yet?
Are they gonna replace the WE610 line (the one with the bulb problem)???

Eitaporra
Unregistered guest
Found this on sony's website.

CRT and Grand WEGA LCD Rear Projection Digital Cable Ready Models

In the Grand WEGA microdisplay LCD rear projection television category, there will be six new fully integrated HDTV models. Available in 42-, 50-, 55- and 60-inch screen sizes, the broad lineup of Grand WEGA televisions offers a wide choice in cosmetic styling.

These televisions utilize a proprietary LCD Optical Engine with Sony's WEGA Engine system to deliver exceptional, detailed picture quality from any video source by minimizing the digital-to-analog conversion process.

The Grand WEGA line consists of the KDF-42WE655, KDF-50WE655, KDF-55WF655, and KDF-60WF655 models, which all have new design features. They will be available in September for $2,800, $3,000, $3,700 and $4,000, respectively.

The step-up KDF-55XS955 and KDF-60XS955 models will be available in September as well for about $4,000 and $4,400.

Sony is also introducing two CRT rear projection, fully integrated high definition televisions, designed with a CableCARD-based interface, in 51- and 57-inch widescreen models. This year's KDP-51WS655 and KDP-57WS655 models will be available in September for around $2,100 and $2,400, respectively.

Dspin_900
Unregistered guest
Curious to have the link (Eitaporra) from where you got that info to read it for myself, are those the 2005 grand wega you are talking about? (KDF-42WE655, KDF-50WE655, KDF-55WF655, and KDF-60WF655 models)
From future RP/LCD buyer waiting for feed-back on a fix for Sony's on-going light/board problems or whatever people want to call it.

Thanx in advance...

Eitaporra
Unregistered guest
released this past wednesday

http://news.sel.sony.com/pressrelease/4439

Francisco
Unregistered guest
Can someone please post the link to the CNET article for the WE655. Someone told me that the CNET article had a picture of what the WE655 would look like.

Francisco
Unregistered guest
I found the CNET article with pictures of the kdf - 42/50/55/60 WE655 series!!.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3423_7-5123305-1.html?tag=nav

elementau
Unregistered guest
Finally some pics!! now we neeed to know the dimensions!!! Anyone know what the H x W x D dimensions will be? I see that they addressed the issue of the wasted space the speakers on the sides caused. Hope they fixed that bulb issue as well. Lots of complaints that they burn out in the first month. Also, what is the step up from the WE655 to the XS955?

Anonymous

Interested in the dimensions of the new 42WE655, missed fitting the 610 into my cabnet by 1.5 inch.
Checked all other types DLP and Plasma and they fit but I like the Sony best

Anonymous

September model line dimensions are as follows (call SonyStyle and be persistent; it's not in their computer yet but the spec sheets are available)...

42/50WE655=1200x819x383/1376x927x439 (mm)
55/60WF655=58.24x37.72x19.64/61.52x40.2x20.72 (in)
55/60XS655=62.96x38.08x19.36/67.4x40.28x20.64 (in)

Unregistered guest
I just put in an order I think I will cancel for a KF42we610. I have read too many reviews saying the lamp has went out. Do you think it is worth it to wait for the new KDF42655?

Anonymous

I have read too many reviews saying the lamp has went out. Do you think it is worth it to wait for the new KDF42655?
---------------------------

From what I understand the bulb problem has been fixed with a rev B bulb. Rumors are the picture quality is the same on the new units, the difference is you get a cable card slot and off-air tuner. It might be worth seeing if you can get a deal on the old models. Just make sure the build date is not pre-April

Jan
Unregistered guest
Anonymous or anyone:I have decided to wait for the KDF42655. In layman's turns could you please explain the new advantages of getting it as discripted on this website? Like what each new goody means... http://news.sel.sony.com/pressrelease/4439

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Integrated ATSC/QAM/NTSC tuner--Provides over the air (OTA) reception of Digital broadcasts with an additional antenna

HDMI technology-- A single cable which transfers both digital video and audio. This also prevents digital copying of copy protected material

Everything else in that article shoul be self-explanatory.

kluv
Unregistered guest
What are the additional "perks" that the KDF-55XS955 have to offer? Is it worth the extra $ over the KDF-55WF655? Has anyone uncovered any negative aspects to these new models yet?

Jan
Unregistered guest
xvxvxvx Maybe it's self-explanatory to you ... But I am not that tech smart. Will I have to rent a HDTV cable box to go with it? Will the picture that is NOT HDTV be disstorded? Didn't understand the ATSC/QAM/NTSC tuner you talked about. Could you please explain it? Thank you!

Sacred
Unregistered guest
I just want to say thanks for all the comments and opinions that you have given on Sony WEGA products. I am deciding to buy the old Sony KF50WE610 or wait for KDFxxWF655 models to come out. After reading the reviews (especially the burn out light issue) I have decided to purchase the old model kf50we610. And here is the reason to my decsion. All you guys are waiting for the new models and see what kind of new gadgets, or new things you can get with the TV. Just remember, with new technology comes new problems. These new models are not to replace the old issues that you people have been reading. If you purchase the new Sony Models expect new issues to rise. It is better to WAIT and see what problems come up. Now as for me, I will take my chance and buy the KF50WE610. Im pretty sure the manafacture date will be around April or June 04. And Im pretty sure that Sony has fixed the issue with bulb issue. I will keep you guys posted.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
"xvxvxvx Maybe it's self-explanatory to you ... But I am not that tech smart. Will I have to rent a HDTV cable box to go with it? Will the picture that is NOT HDTV be disstorded? Didn't understand the ATSC/QAM/NTSC tuner you talked about. Could you please explain it? Thank you!"

OK Jan,

The tuner will convert OTA analog signals, OTA digital signals and OTA HD signals as long as you have a suitable external antenna hooked up to your display.

If you subscribe to cable already the display will accept the all current analog signals and all digital signals up to the limit of the sets internal tuner (perhaps up to channel 142). It will also decode and display any non-scrambled HD signals provided free of charge from your cable company (normally ABC, NBC, CBS, WGN, Bravo, ESPN (if you pay for ESPN) HDNET 1 & 2 and after 9/12/04 FOX)

Any digital channles higher and you will need either the STB (set top box) from your cable provider or have them provide you with a cablecard which is small, fits inside your TV and replaces the large and bulky STB yet provides most of it's functions. With cablecard you will lose any interactive guide services and VOD (video on demand) that the STB might now provide.

Is that explanation better? I hope it helped, please ask any more questions you need clarified.

xvxvxvx

LDR
Unregistered guest
Another way to look at it is , the new model could have improved design on the board and bulb and bulb assy. the new model does have an integrated ATSC, cable card tuner which is great in several aspects,no cable box means one less thing to reduce signal quality, less cables,etc.
It is interesting that to this day In Sony's emails they still deny to the hilt there are any issues with that model (42") instead of just saying "the issues have been corrected". were talking alot of money on a "I hope"
I myself don't know which brand-model Im going to purchase yet, but honesty from the manufacturer would certainly help instead of guessing.Panasonic will be releasing (PT43LCX64) a 43" LCD RP w/ int. ATSC tuner soon,(on there website now) atleast they have been reliable in the past.

LDR
Unregistered guest
For info. here is a great pic of the new KDF-42WE655.....
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-q29FGbfZydv/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?s=0&cc=01&g=153850 &id=morephotos&i=15842WE655&pi=2&display=XL#Tab

Anonymous

I bought the new Sony KDF-42WE655 at Circuit City this past Sunday after taking a Samsung DLP back to Best Buy. This is a great set. Everything looks great on it. I could not be more pleased. No waxy looking standard TV pictures. The tuner tuned in video on demand signals from the cable system along with the local digital and analog stations. Now that's a plus. I priced the lamps and you can get those for less than $200. By the time I need one, they should be lower. If CC and BB are going to give you 30 days to play, why not give it a try. Mine is not going back.

xavier
Unregistered guest
Please keep us updated on your 655, sounds great.
The integrated ATSC QAM tuner and cable card slot are a big plus.

Anonymous

I've had my Sony KDF-42WE655 for a week now and I love this TV. I don't use the cable card and I will drop down to basic cable and get rid of the box after my free stuff runs out at the end of the year. I hardly use the box anyway since there isn't much on Showtime I care to watch and I can get the locals with an antenna. I get free Showtime and ShowtimeHD until Jan 1 for signing up at the time I did. I've felt around the front and back of the TV after it's been on for hours and there is no sign of any hot air so this thing is running cool. I have not found a bad thing about this TV. Over the air HD looks great.

Anon Amous
Unregistered guest
CNET just reviewed the Sony KDF-50WE655
http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_KDF_50WE655/4505-6484_7-30787621.html?tag=pdtl-list

LEM
Unregistered guest
I would like to get this tv but have a question on over the air antenna for HD. I live about 40 miles from the digital tower so an indoor model would not work (at least that's what I was told). Is there an outdoor model that's not too big that works? My cable co. does not offer HD yet. Thank you very much.

Unregistered guest
Any thoughts on these extended warranties that stores are offering (and thinking back to the dreadful 610 series and their problems)? I'm just pulling my hair out deciding if I should spend an extra $599 for a 5 year extended warranty. I suppose you really have to weigh your options, but if bulbs run $200, I suppose it would pay itself off if you went through 2-3 bulbs.

Schlepp
Unregistered guest
Personally, as all this stuff is relatively new unproven technology, and likely made in some third world country, I feel the only way to be somewhat "safe", is to get the warranty.

When you think about a large purchase like this coming with a measely 1 year manufacturers warranty, it shows how little confidence they have in their products!

Retailers and manufacturers love it when we all roll over and pay full retail! IMHO, they don't deserve full retail (and I won't and don't pay it) on a several thousand dollar product that comes with a lousy 1 year warranty.

Anonymous

I just got the Sony KDF55WF655 about a week ago. When I plugged in the cable I was able to receive the local over the air HD stations. I only have expanded basic cable. I have no antenia at all hooked to the set. I called Cox and they came out to install a cable card so I could get more HD. There have now been 3 different techs on 2 different days trying to get TV to accept card. The last one just left, with no success. Error code 161-4 came up on screen. Cox told me when they get problem solved they will call me to schedule a visit to try and install a cable card for the fourth time. I told them since I am able to receive the local HD stations over the air with no antenia, I may decide not to use there card at all. I believe the cable itself is acting as an antenia.
Has any one else had this problem with cable card?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Jan
Unregistered guest
Is a dlp TV less fragile than a LCD? How long can you buy areplacement warrenty on them and how much does it cost? Does this replace the bulb problem they both have?

Jan
Unregistered guest
Is a dlp TV less fragile than a LCD? How long can you buy areplacement warrenty on them and how much does it cost? Does this replace the bulb problem they both have?

Unregistered guest
I just set up a Sony KDF42WE655 and the new Samsung HD directv reciever. The reciever has a DVI output and the tv HDMI input. I am using the Svideo hookup and have ordered a DVI-HDMI cable. Do you think this will help the picture on non-HD directv? With the Svideo I think my 7 yr old Sony plain reciever has a better picture. We don't get any over air signal here, haven't started directv HD service yet as have to change the dish. Am frustrated. Also, if I get an rf modulator will it work to run this reciever to a plain old coax in tv that I've always had running from this room reciever as it is always on same channel. There is no coax out on the newer recievers. Would appreciate any advice. I got an HDMI cable with the TV if anyone needs one.

Bronze Member
Username: Kid_red

Post Number: 46
Schlepp, LG gives a 2 year parts/labor warranty so I guess they have a lot of confidence in there product. But I would get a warranty with anything over $2000 tv or any electronics.

Jan- With a moving colorwheel spinning around a DLP and no moving parts on an LCD, I doubt either would be more or less fragile then the other part from the screen.

Jimbo123
Unregistered guest
Speaking of fragile, I've had my 42WE655 for 14 days and ......yep.....the TV flicker and now everything looks pink. Whew! Good thing still within 30 days for return since I'm not a believer in extended warranty. My guess is probably the light bulb.

Extended warranty or return TV?? Dilemma? Dilemma?

The HD channel via Comcast cable is @#$%^&* incredible. Didn't realize what I was missing for the past few years. I have the new Comcast DVR top box and it works wonder. I love how customer service never commits to the final monthly price for this unit but kept telling me another US$5.00 per month. The bill say otherwise - like $25 more. All HD channels are in the 100s and higher. You get 3 additional channels, at least on the west coast, that you won't get with no top-box. All the analog channels are reeeeallly fuzzy and grainy. They should make glasses to filter this out ;-) I might go back to CableCard since it is free with basic cable service but you'll have to get a true DVR or TIVO.

Robb
Unregistered guest
I just purchased the 42WE655 over the weekend. Great Picture! But I have one question on hooking up an antenna for OTA HD. Do you just attach the antenna to the VHF/UHF on the TV? And if so are there any other settings that need to be made on the TV other than tuning in the broadcast on the antenna? Thanks

TM
Unregistered guest
Yes. Hook the antenna up to the VHF/UHF rf input and just do a auto channel scan.

P.J.
Unregistered guest
I saw the KDF42WE655 at several local stores, and the image is fantastic -- almost having a 3D quality. However, I'm not really "in" to watching tv and would not likely subscribe to HDTV in the near future. I now have basic broadcast from Cablevision on Long Island, NY. I'd probably go for an antenna if I wanted to pull in HDTV signals. Right now I'm inclined to go with an older technology set, like a Sony KV-27FS320, but I'm concerned that in a couple of years I may not be able to use an analog tv or I might be unhappy about not being able to take advantage of HDTV. So, I have two questions. 1. What does a standard tv image from basic broadcast look like on the KDF42WE655? 2. What will happen with existing analog tv's when the broadcast standard is changed in a couple of years -- will they still be useable -- will I need an adapter? Thanks.

Robb
Unregistered guest
Has anyone ever purchased a warranty from CompUSA for a Progection TV? Does it cover the bulbs?

Anonymous

I live only 16 miles away from the local Los Angeles HDTV signals. I have been told that I should have no problem receiving the OTA signals. However I bought an antenna and I cant get anything. I try and run the Auto Program and it only looks for analog signals. Is there something I'm missing? I'm normally really good with electronics but this is driving me mad! Thanks.

tnbubba
Unregistered guest
just curious, have you tried hooking it up to both antenna/cable hookups. one may be for hdtv only.

danza junk
Unregistered guest
tnbubba, yes I did.

I'm giving up. I'll have to suffer with Directv.

WantANewTV
Unregistered guest
Is anyone experiencing dead pixels with the new Sony rear projection televisions?

Unregistered guest
I bought a sony kdf50we655n a week ago from fry's, 2 days after it was delivered, I decided I wanted a bigger TV. Went back to purchase the kdf60we955, but salesperson showed me a 62" mitsubishi wd-62725, which I ended up buying. I've had it now for only 4 days. My kids liked the first tv better, especially the remote. I have to admit the Mitsubishi remote looks cheesy. Did a make a big mistake? All opinions are welcome as long as you've compared the two tv's and know what you're talking about. Should I have just bought the Sony 60" we955 instead?

Anon Amous
Unregistered guest
isa, You're being very vague.

All you have stated was that you made a "big mistake" purchasing the Mitsubishi because the remote is better on the Sony?!

Sorry, but that's like saying you pick one automobile over another based on the doorhandles.

What are YOU looking for in a TV...other than our opinions?

CodeMaster
Unregistered guest
I'm currently going back and forth between the 655 and the 955 the only ups i can see to the 955 is the live color enhancements and better sound. and the cabnit looks cooler but i dont know if there is any other differance... so i'm not sure if its worth the extra 400$....

Username: Mike_leigh

Post Number: 3
I got delivery of our Sony KDF60WF655 yesterday and my wife and I are highly impressed with the pq of this set... even on standard defition programs. An absolutely beautiful tv, both designwise and pq wise. My question, if anyone be so kind to answer, is this: I also bought a Toshiba SD-5970 DVD player for its HDMI connection. I've tried playing
the Matrix, Matrix Reloaded (widescreen), and Matrix Revolution (widescreen) and they ALL display abnormally, i.e., they are all stretched out sideways. I've tried adjusting the Sony's viewing choices, e.g., "normal," "widezoom," "full," and "zoom" and none of them renders normal output. I can't believe both standard and widescreen dvd movies can't be displayed normally on this TV. Is there something else I could do to rectify this situation? I'd be very appreciative if anyone could help. Thank you.

CodeMaster
Unregistered guest
wow that is not cool.... the matrix would is the first movie i would pop in... and i would be pissed if it looked like crap....

Bronze Member
Username: Dmako

Post Number: 76
RE: "I got delivery of our Sony KDF60WF655 yesterday and my wife and I are highly impressed with the pq of this set... even on standard defition programs. An absolutely beautiful tv, both designwise and pq wise. My question, if anyone be so kind to answer, is this: I also bought a Toshiba SD-5970 DVD player for its HDMI connection. I've tried playing
the Matrix, Matrix Reloaded (widescreen), and Matrix Revolution (widescreen) and they ALL display abnormally, i.e., they are all stretched out sideways. I've tried adjusting the Sony's viewing choices, e.g., "normal," "widezoom," "full," and "zoom" and none of them renders normal output. I can't believe both standard and widescreen dvd movies can't be displayed normally on this TV. Is there something else I could do to rectify this situation? I'd be very appreciative if anyone could help. Thank you."

Perhaps this will help. I have a JVC TV but that dosn't matter. When I was hooking up my new TV I had everything unplugged i.e. my DVD player, well it reverted back to a 4:3 display.
Bottom line, check you DVD settings and make sure you are using 16:9 mode.

Post Number: 5
Thanks, Dave. I eventually figured out that evening that that was precisely the problem. Appreciate your response, nonetheless.

Username: Chrisinyork

Post Number: 6
If someone would be so kind, could you please tell me what the difference is between the KDF-50WE655 and the KDF-55WF655 (other than screen size)? Thanks a lot!

Chris

Anonymous

Anyone with tips on how to best tune a KDF55WF655?

fishingbones55
Unregistered guest
I just set up the KDF-42... and hooked it to the Sony Dreamsystem DAV-FR1. The DAV setup called for me to select progressive over interlace, which I did,however, all widescreen DVDs including anamorphics I try to play do not fill the whole screen--I have to switch to interlace setting to get the full 169 screen which is presumably not as sharp as progressive. Can anyone tell me why? And I am using the red-green-blue video plugs. Thanks for any replies.

Username: Guido

Greenville, Texas USA

Post Number: 2
Hello! My wife purchased A Sony KDF-50WE655 for me as a christmas gift. It was delivered on the 23 and was not used until dec. 24. It worked fine until Jan 1 when everyone showed up to watch the bowl games. It came on for about three minutes and crashed never to come back on. Have there been problems a custom to these on a regular basis?

Username: Drev

MI USA

Post Number: 1
Just purchased a Sony KDF-555XS955 for me as a christmas gift! Along with a Sony DV8 Dream system. Installed a Winegard HD7084 and antenna rotor, 15db amp, using RG-59 coax, along with premium cables for the componet hook-ups. Went thru the auto search for channells of HD. The quaility of this set is WOW, picture and sound. In our area "very rural, nearest station 35+ miles away" have very good reception with the 68 element antenna. So now able to watch the ??.? channels now, was impressed with the extra channels avaliable, with the ability to see a anolog sig. and see the HD difference!
Bought the Sony equiment from Sears with a "price match +10%" had a great sales person to deal with. Also the extended warr. mainly to cover the "bulb burn-out" so when the warr. expires the bulbs should be cheaper then. The bulb is replaced from the front on this unit, has intructions for the DYI in the instructions.
The TV is assembled in Mt. Pleasant PA.!!!!
Yes the componets are overseas, but found it intriging the TV was assebled here. The set was easy to set on the TV stand, or one can put up a shelf.
Very happy with the TV, a lot of prior studying, and reading from this forum helped a ALOT. Thanks!!

Virginia
Unregistered guest
Bryan G.
We just purchased the same TV and are having problems as well. We just got it Dec 7 and the lamp has "burned out", at least that's what we think. We are waiting for the replacement lamp. Hopefully that solves the problem. I just found out that the 610 series was discontinued due to similar problems and replaced by the 655. I read somewhere that it might be a prblem with the lamp cage being loose. Sony was building these models so fast that technicians failed to properly secure the lamps. The screws were loose when we checked them but tightening them didn't resolve the problem. I'll keep you posted when we replace the lamp.

Username: Buzz_jones

Warren, Mi Us

I Need FEEDBACK ASAP... I want to trade my 1 yr old Sony KV40XBR800 for a New FDF50WE655. What is your thoughts on this KDF**we655 model? Buzz

Anonymous

I just purchased the KDF55WF655 this is an absolutely amazing TV the built in HD tuner is awesome. I do not have a set top box, digital cable, satelite, or any special box, just the extended cable itself. Keep in mind before my purchase I had knowledge that this tv can tune in HD stations with the tuner that is built in. What a beautiful feature.

Anyway, I was having the same problem as well picking up the HD channels in my area. I was able to pick up the digital signals after reviewing the connections closer. The rear of the TV has 2 inputs one for cable and the other VHF/UHF just like on the rear of you're VCR.

My first problem was when I just set it up. On my older sony projection tv I was able to directly connect the 75ohm coaxial cable to the rear pick up all the signals analog of course. I did the same to this new KDF55WF655 and screwed it directly into the "cable in" and ran the auto program and no channels on the digital and analog were being recieved pluged into the "cable in" area now this was strange??? So I tried switching it around did the same thing and ran the auto program a second time. This time I switched it around a I inserted into the VHF/UHF input. Now I had only recieved analog stations up to 27 channels only when all my tv's in the house pick up 100+. So I removed the connection for the 3rd time. Knowing the regular over the air stations in my area go up to 27 channels meaning I picked up all the analog signals by doing this. This was definitely not correct and driving me mad as well.

This time with the main 75ohm coaxial cable I used a dual splitter. Drew out some diagrams on how this TV would be connected if no set top box or digital box was being used. So next, I turned the one main connection into two signals.

I figured without a set top box, digital cable box, etc. A direct connection will not funtion properly and all signals picked up will on be analog. So a device is needed such as a VCR to pick up the rest of the channels.

1. Get a dual splitter and split the main connection. Use 75ohm coaxial cable shortest possible so you don't loose pic quality.

2. Run one of the 2 splitted connections directly to the "cable in" section.

You need extra 75ohm cable to do this.

3. Using the VCR as the device if you do not have a calbe box, digital satelite, set top box, etc. Run the remaining splitted connection to the VCR's IN. Last run the VCR's OUT to the rear of the TV's "VHF/UHF IN".

4. Run the auto program. I found this resolved my issue of the 27 channels instead of 100+ channels I have.

5. You should now see the digital HD channels in your area being detected and the analog seperated on the auto prog. On the RM-Y915 their is also a feature on the remote that once you are complete with the 50 minute auto prog. you are able to switch back and forth from Antenna and Cable by pressing the ANT button. Great feature if some of your antenna stations do not show up on cable. The capital letter C followed by the channel number will appear for your connections established as cable (ex: C15 & C15.13). Channels followed by periods are usually the HD channels. If the channels are are detected on the auto program with periods you've connected it perfect. Good Luck.

My question, for you at first when I did this I was notable to recieved higher quality analog channels on cable but the antenna channels were very clear. I figured this was do to the signal being split. I switched the cables around and the opposite happened. The antenna channels were now not clear and the cable analog channels were fixed. Now I ran to fry's and picked up some higher quality 75ohm cables and wow changed up the splitted cables and what a difference it made. Both antenna and cable analog channels were enhance tremendouslous. I'd like to know what cables are you all using "specific in brand". And since I did split the connection I do know splitting a connection more then 2 times will reduce the clarity and cause more pixels to distort but is their any type of signal booster I could use to maintain a strong signal when splitting?

I have experience wiring navigation systems and lcd screens to car audio. And with car audio we have video signal boosters that use 12v to enhance a splitted video component connections. I would just like to know if someone knows anything about splitting TV cables? Anyway the picture is amazing I'm just curious don't want to loose out on all the clarity and get as much as I can with my moneys worth.

Username: Guido

Greenville, Texas USA

Since last update 1/1/05: Sears delivered a new set out late yesterday evening. No problems yet! In fact the new set has a much better picture directly out of the box.
Bryan

Post Number: 7
I'm a bit surprised that people are still buying the "WE" series, not the "WF" series. I purchased a KDF60WF655 on the 17th of December and have been fairly happy with it. One unexpected surprise for me (some reported the opposite) is that it feels much smaller than I had expected. Prior to this tv, we had a 51" Mitsubishi projection tv. But due to the "widescreen" shape of my new "60 inch" tv, it is actually showing smaller pictures for standard programs, i.e., my older 51" was taller but slimmer and since the std programs only show with large black bars on both sides. Our viewing distance is about 14 feet and I'm wondering if I should have bought the 70"... But only in passing as the 70" model has the reflective screen on the front and it's just too damned big and overwhelming in size. Another surprise: very light. My wife and I could lift it easily and my wife is a tiny woman.

MikeMiller
Unregistered guest
Hi

Purchased the WF655 60 inch last month. This TV is great so far. No complaints. I think I'm going to buy an antenna for it to pick up OTA channels. Does anyone else notice the slight pixellation with the WHITE's? Anyone have any recommendations on what to set the TV to for best picture quality? ie. other than the factory settings? thx.

Post Number: 8
MikeMiller, yes, I too have definitely noticed the pixilation on the whites. To be more precise, however, at least on my set, it's not the "whites" but it's the white and moving scenes such as the waterfall. I can't really understand it. Otherwise, nonmoving whites are fine. I've not noticed it on floor demos before I took delivery.

I've got a similar question. What's the point of getting one of those calibration dvds? I already know all of the picture controls on my tv. What will such dvds offer that I haven't already done? It's not like the dvds will offer me more picture quality controls than the tv offers, right?

Username: Edculbertson

Greer, SC USA

Well, the cablecard issue with my Sony KDF42We655 has not been resolved. Charter has been out 4 times but to no avail. It appears that the card is receiving 'messages' from the cable company (message count goes up) but it will not show analog nor digital channels.

I have called a repair service to validate the card slot. Apparently, they have missed the appointment. So I will wait.

Has anyone heard of a firmware or hardware update for this television??

brussky
Unregistered guest
I am ready to buy the Sony KDF42WE655. I am trying to find out cost, and if the lamps (bulbs) are user replaceable?

Thanks

Post Number: 10
brussky: Yes, the advantage of a Sony is that you can change your own lamps. The cost is around $200.00. Check your manual for instructions on how to get one and how to change one.

Username: Pkmitra

Hi All

I am new to this forum and really appreciate all of you guys info that you have posted.

I am looking to buy a KDF60WF655.....I was wondering whether there are any specific vendors that I should look to buy the extended warranty from.

Any experiences out there??

Username: Gengbay

Read the reviews relative to bulb burnout and dvd calibration. Talked with an Asian woman at Sony tech support. She indicated there were no problems in these areas. Either she did not understand me or Sony is in denial. Anyone expierienced this?

Username: Buzz_jones

Warren, Mi Us

Post Number: 2
I wonder what you all think about these kdf**we655's or wf's? I watch a widescreen DVD and it fills up less screen on my kdf50we655 than my 2 yr old Sony 40" Tube xbr 4:3 tv. On the KDF the tv video mode menue lets you strech out the picture but this distorts it. I thought this KDF tv was set up to play widescreen DVD's to at least fill out most of the screen. It does not even seem like the crisp quality is there like an xbr tube. ANY ADVICE, or should I go back to the 40" 4:3 tube xbr.

moogoo
Unregistered guest
anybody know how to reassign channel numbers? i did the auto program, it picked up a lot of channels but it seems like the channels dont match up to what they're supposed to be? for instance FOX should be channel 5, but its assigned to channel 35 instead. i'd like to reassign it but i can't see any option how.. anybody have any ideas?

moogoo
Unregistered guest
in regards to the KDF42WE655 : anybody know how to reassign channel numbers? i did the auto program, it picked up a lot of channels but it seems like the channels dont match up to what they're supposed to be? for instance FOX should be channel 5, but its assigned to channel 35 instead. i'd like to reassign it but i can't see any option how.. anybody have any ideas?

Username: Edculbertson

Greer, SC USA

Post Number: 4
I have some information concerning the KDF42WE655 HDTV I have. I am now on my second HDTV... since the cablecard (Motorola Mediacypher) did not work in the first. The place I purchased it decided to exchange it... Well, this set does not work with the cablecard either.

I have done some research and talked to a Sony repair guy (very helpful) along with the cable company (Charter - very helpful).

Turnes out that the cable guy found that the two sets I have had have a bios section called 'WEM' and the version is 1.001U - sets with these versions do not work with the cable card as advertised...

We found a store in town that had the same HDTV but a different WEM version- 1.101U and apparently they work with the cable card. I will be checking with Sony on this...

Bronze Member
Username: Andrew_debbie

Post Number: 12
>>>I am looking to buy a KDF60WF655.....I was wondering whether there are any specific vendors that I should look to buy the extended warranty from.

Make sure you understand if replacing the bulb is covered or not. If the contract says 'consumables' are not covered, the bulb isn't covered. Don't take a salesman's word for it. Ask to see where in the contract it says bulbs are covered.

An EW without lamp coverage should be MUCH less expensive than one with lamp coverage.

Replacing the lamp is not hard. Instructions are in the owners manual. MSRP is $200.00
It may be cost effective to get a warranty without lamp coverage.

Unregistered guest
Hi Guys,

I just bought the sony KDF-60XS955 just wondering how do I play back with a better picture with my current DVD. I am using Denon DVD-3800. I couldn't find it has outputs with selectable 480p/720p/1080i. I paid like $1000 for this dvd. I am using a high-end S Video Cable connect directly to my new TV, should I get a component cable instead? Which is better.

I see that my TV has 2 HDMI slot in the back, should I get a DVD player that has HDMI and you think the quality will be totally changed?

Right now the picture still looking ok but I see a little distortion.

Thanks
Ceddy

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
DannyC,

S-Video only works for 480i. If your Denon can upsample (no idea if it can) you will need to use the component connection. You should use component anyway as the picture will be better.

Upsampling to 720p or 1080i is not going to make much of a difference with any of the Grand Wega IV models. The sets convert all incoming video to 788p.

You won't see much of an improvment with HDMI either. All the Sony GWIV sets convert the HDMI back to analog and use the same signal path that the component connections go through.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
DannyC.
I bought a KDF-60WF655 in December and I have been looking for the right dvd player as well. You'll find that there are many opinions regarding what is the "best" dvd player for either DLP or LCD RP TVs. As Andrew already said it, S-Video will only render the lowest resolution among avaiable tv connections. Resolutions go from S-Video, Composite, Component and HDMI/DVI. It would be pointless to waste the HDMI connections on your GW. If you are flush with cash, try the Denon 3910 which has DVI and HDMI outputs. Otherwise, Denon 2910 is also a good one with DVI/HDMI outputs. There are Sony, Toshiba, and Panasonic dvd players that has HDMI outputs with less cash output as well. THere are many differing opinions regarding whether HDMI/DVI are better than Component output--even though theoretically speaking HDMI/DVI are indisputably better in terms of resolutions. I've tried them and I'm convinced that HDMI/DVi provide superior resolutions that are noticeable to the naked eye. Good luck.

jchncsu
Unregistered guest
I've had my KDF-55WF655 for four weeks now. I have been able to receive the HD signal with out any problems (no cable box) up until this past weekend. Now my HD channels crap out to a blank screen after I watch them for a few mins. The screen will go blank and the tv locks up until the channel resets. I have also been experiencing other problems. I have had problems with the twin view locking up on me as well. The screen will also lock up on normal analog channels but less often than the HD channels. Has anyone else experinced the same problems? If so, do you have any suggestions?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
jchncsu,

Sounds like reception problems. You can check signal strenght in the 'diagnostics' menu. It is an option in the last menu.

Was there unusually bad weather in your area? Wind rain snow?

If not maybe your antenna moved or a wire came loose.

jchncsu
Unregistered guest
Andrew,

Thanks for responding. I'll check the signal. I failed to mention that I have regular cable. Also, it was really windy and cold on the first day that I started experiencing the problems. However, the weather is fine and I'm still having the problems. The cable company is coming out on Fri to install a cable card in my tv. I'm hoping that will fix my problems. I called sony about the problems and they just told me to reset the TV. That didn't help.

Jan
Unregistered guest
If other than the Hdtv signal is being shown. Does the picture distort if you fill the screen?

Username: Grandwega

Post Number: 4
I have the 50we655. I have it connected directly to the Comcast digital cable feed. I have had to auto=program the channels frequently, as it seems to "forget" the programmed channels. I turn on the TV, and press channel up or down, and it only finds the channel it tuned when turned on.

Any thoughts? It has happened about 10 times, with no pattern I can figure out.

Anonymous

apparently the sony tuner and comcast feed are conflicting somehow

i believe you would be better off using a Comcast hi DEF box and forget about that integrated tuner/cable card - or whatever the setup is

much cleaner setup with comcast hi def tuner wired straight to the monitor

Username: Grandwega

Post Number: 5
thanks...but with the comcast hi def box, they have versions with comp cables, or the HDMI output. Is there a difference?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
>>apparently the sony tuner and comcast feed are conflicting somehow

There is a bug in the firmware in early production GW IV sets. KDF-xxWE655 models built before sometime in October 2004 might have it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
>>apparently the sony tuner and comcast feed are conflicting somehow

Actually, this is a bug in the firmware in some early production KDF-xxWE655 sets. It may not be easy, but other have gotten Sony to send out a tech to update the firmware.

Jan
Unregistered guest
No one answered my question, so i posting again:If other than the Hdtv signal is being shown. Does the picture distort if you fill the screen?

Anonymous

depends whether you got a widescreen to begin with, or a regular 4:3, and depends upon whether you are talking analog, NON-HD digital, or true HD or various DVD formats

general rule: standard TV is 4:3 versus 16:9 for HDTV

Filling the sceen, for example a regular analog signal onto a widescreen can cause distortions, yes

the problem cannot be resolved completely until all signals are HD and all people have widescreen HD TV's

if you happen to have a 4:3 HDTV on a non-HD digital feed, and an actual HI DEF signal is received, the screen itself fills in automatically

paul4sy
Unregistered guest
Have a KDF-60WF55 which shows superb detail on HD broadcasts such as filmed network programming but as soon as network "live: shows are on (such as Letterman) the quality of the picture is less than good. Am directly into Cable without a box.
Thanks

Anonymous

Letterman is not HIGH DEF, at best you are seeing 480p on that program. Try Jay Leno, but not the later night Leno replay which is regular TV

NFL football, The Oscars, The Masters golf - all live and all amazing hi def

Unregistered guest
Hey Jan,

Yes the picture will distort if you fill the screen. Whether you use the cable boxes stretch modes or the sony tv's (full or wide zoom) the picture will be somewhat distorted. Barely any complaints from my customers after a day or two.

Mike

Lesli
Unregistered guest
My Sony lamp burned out after 7 weeks! I bought the 60XS955 in Dec 2004, bulb burned out in February 2005. Has a beautiful picture when it works, but I expected the bulb to last for at least a couple of years before having to replace it.

paul4sy
Unregistered guest
Lesli-Is that bulb covered under the initial warranty by Sony?

Anonymous

Hi,

Have anyone check out the Sony Extended Warranty service plan? their price is very competive. 5 years for $319.

Wonder the plan covers bulb replacement.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/EW_ViewExt endedWarranty-Detail?CategoryName=Consumer%20Electronics&TabName=TC&Telesales=

Please advise
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us