Need help with HLN567W and DVD movies

Unregistered guest
Hardware: Samsung HLN-567W, Samsung HD-931 DVD, and Samsung SIR-TS160 Receiver.
DVD Movie in Widescreen (2.35 Anorphic )
Hookup- DVI cable from DVD player to HLN567W.
On my remote, I have two aspect ratio options(WIDE TV and WIDE PC).
Problem: when watching movie in WIDE TV mode, I get a black bar on top and bottom of picture...WHY?..WIDE PC mode makes black square all around picture..What's going on? I thought all widescreen DVD's would fill the whole screen. I have checked and re-checked the DVD player and tv settings...I need assistance with this...Thanks in advance.

RobW
Unregistered guest
There are different sizes of widescreen.
A widescreen TV 16:9 is a ratio 1.78 , anamorphic widescreen ratio 2.35 is less tall over the same width (about 16:6.83) so the picture is not using the entire screen.
Don't know for sure about WIDE PC but I bet its to correct overscan (picture beyond the edges of screen) from a PC video input.

Username: Tommy01835

Post Number: 6
jay, im thinking of getting the 56 but sometimes i think it would be too big. could you tell me how far away you sit from the set. i would be sitting between 10 and 11 feet away. thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Emkmd

Post Number: 36
Tom,
I bought a 507w about a month ago. My viewing distance is about 8-9 feet. I brought the tape measure to the store and thought the 56" was just too big. THe 50" is probably perfect, but sometimes I think I could have almost gone with the 56". A 4x3 image on my set is about 41". From 10-11 feet the 56" should be perfect. Try the following link, but I thought the screen sizes were too large.
http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html
-E
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us