Archive through February 25, 2005

Bronze Member
Username: Mr_sparks

Vista1, Ca Usa

Post Number: 25
Hey thanks for the advice Mr Lynch. I may check out the Sony975.

Glad you're getting your set back soon!

I posted a picture of my stand, on your stand thread.

Mr Sparks

Bronze Member

Vista1, Ca Usa

Post Number: 26
Hey Ryan,
Thanks. Love the Xbox. I bought the Microsoft HD adapter and a standard optical cable. The dolby is excellent. Has worked flawless.

Don't even consider the Monster Rip-Off cables for Xbox. They are very over priced, improve nothing and you need to buy a special, over-priced optical to work with it. Gee - guess I feel strong about not seeing anyone get ripped.

Mr Sparks

Silver Member
Username: Rlschneck

Post Number: 104
Concerning TV stands.

How tall are everyone's stands? I am currently using a 28" stand, and it is a bit too high. I would love to have everyone chime it with the height of their stands, so that when I finally get a new one, I know what to look for.

Mr Sparks, if you are interested in an upconverting DVD player, the Sony 975 is rather nice, but it still does suffer a little bit from "black crush"... barely noticable, but a discerning eye will catch it in dark movies. The high-end Denons are even better, but then you're spending upwards of $700. For that price you may as well wait for the true HD DVD players that will be selling Xmas '05 for around a grand. So, if you are comfortable spending $250-$275 on a quality upconverting DVD player then you should check out the Sony 975.

Silver Member

Post Number: 105
Mr Sparks,

Did you have to go into the xbox's menu to switch a setting to get the dolby 5.1 to work? cuz mine is not working... I may have to take the cable back... or worse, it could be the xbox.

Thanks,
Ryan

Silver Member

Post Number: 106
Mr. Lynch has a stand thread? can you guys tell me where I can find it and it's title?

Bronze Member

Vista1, Ca Usa

Post Number: 27
The top of my stand is 18". That puts my eyes about middle of the screen when I'm sitting up
on the couch. It's hard to find a stand that low, that's partly a reason to build my own.

I'm happy with that height but perhaps others have a different preference.

I can't justify $700 for a DVD player, so maybe I'll check out the Sony. Cox cable has movies on demand, so we use that more than DVD. There's a Samsung upscaling DVD at costco. Anyone familiar with it - sorry I don't know the model.

Mr Sparks

Username: Xdsltrev

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1
Mr. Lynch
Just bought the 52" 575. Arrives on Friday.
Can't wait to get it going!

Can you please email the service manual to me at xdsltrev@sympatico.ca ?
Appreciated,
Trevor

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 486
R.S.-

Here is the link:
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/114959.html

It is titled "TV stands for RPTVs" and you can find it right here in the Rear projection TV thread.

My TV stand is currently 23" tall. It is about perfect when sitting on our couch. I'm in the process of building a new stand that will end up about 22" inches tall. My friend has a 46" DLP that is 18" off the ground. He has a real low couch so it works good for him.

Ryan-

Go into your Xbox dashboard (power on with no disc in) and go into the settings. You have enable Dobly Digital and DTS for it to work.

Mr. Sparks-

I had the Sammy HD841 upscaling DVD player, it was garbage. Horrible black crush, and it kept resetting itself. I returned it for the Toshiba 5970. I've been very happy with it. It is by no means perfect, but for $150 I think it is a great deal. If I were to buy a higherend model, the SOny would be at the top on my list.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 487
The service manual is available for download here:
http://www.theshore.net/~tom/jvc/

Bronze Member
Username: Dan_furlong

Dallas, Texas USA

Post Number: 23
Here's mine.
My stand is 28" tall & consider it a perfect hieght, got it at Costco for 289.99.
I sit 12 feet away from the TV & it looks near perfect with SD.
Upload

Username: N7tb

Post Number: 5
My stand height will be 16.5 in high when I finish building it. It will have three 4.5 in openings on the top and three 7 in high openings on the bottom for all my components. It is being made with 3/4 in birch plywood and will have sliding plexiglass doors when finished. It will be for a 61 in JVC. I have this to build and some cabinets to tear out and carpet to patch, so will be getting this done before buying the JVC.

I will post a picture when finished. My biggest concern is that I have 9" wide polk audio speakers for my main front speakers and it will be a very tight fit to get those on either side of the TV in the space I have. Might have 1/4 inch to spare!

I also thought I would make a comment about the Sony 975 DVD player. I was going to buy one of them and on another thread, someone said they had been recalled. I have no idea whether that is true or not, but alot of folks had trouble with the disk not ejecting after several months of use. The post said there was a design issue, so Sony was recalling them. I went to a store that normally stocks them and they are not in stock, so I don't know what to think. It looked like a great DVD player.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 489
Dan-
Can you add your pick to the stand thread? https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/114959.html

I'd like to get as many different stands as possible all in the same area.

Silver Member
Username: Kid_red

Post Number: 155
Here's my stand. I was going to build one, but BB had a nice stand that the wife liked. It was $200 and he gave it to us for $100. Can't argue with that.

Upload

Username: Soitgos

Post Number: 9
Mr Lynch
Could you repost your settings for your TV. Not the ones you did using the service menu but the ones using the TV display. It seems my greens are really high.
Thanks
Jim

Silver Member

Post Number: 107
Dan Furlong,

It appears we have very similar taste in electronics. It looks like your running Klipsch RF-25's and a RC-25 center speaker... am I right. That's what I have. I use Klipsch RX-4's for my rears and power this setup with the H/K AVR330 receiver. What brand receiver do you have, and do you like the way it sounds with your Klipsch speakers? I also have a 28" stand, but it seems a bit too high to me. But then, it all depends on the couch that you have I suppose.

Very nice pics everyone!!

I will post mine once I get everything all set up.

Bronze Member
Username: Rex

Post Number: 18
Klaus &
tvshopper
Thanks for the input. I forgot about the sound button. Stupid. It was set to music and the BBE was off. Changing the setting makes a big difference. Now to wait for the shows that where are awful with loud music and low voices. The program Numb3ers and some movies on the Hallmark channel.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 490
Repair guy showed up yesterday with a bulb in his hand, spend 30 seconds swapping it out, the TV powered up just fine, I signed a paper and he was done. I talked to him for a few minutes after, and he said he was the only person in the state of Washington that was trained and certified by JVC to work on the Dila sets. He said that early bulb failure was really rare, and that the most common problem was a light engine swap. He said he has seen very few "dead sets", and that the JVC seemed very well built to him when compared to other brands.
When I asked him what brands had the most problems he said "if you want to become a good friend of mine, buy a Samsung DLP". "That company keeps our business going strong!"

I thought it was interesting that what he told me pretty much backs what I've read in the forums.

Bronze Member

Vista1, Ca Usa

Post Number: 29
Glad to hear you finally got your set working again.
So all you needed was a new bulb and JVC covered it under warranty?

Mr Sparks

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 492
JVC covered everything. No cost to me at all.

I'll mess with the TV this weekend since the wife is heading out of town to visit her parents. I'll probably have some new settings, and if Dave (ISF friend) would quit making excuses I might have some more Service Menu info.

Bronze Member

Dallas, Texas USA

Post Number: 25
Rschneck,
yes, you are right about the speakers.

My surrounds are Klipsch AW 525 outdoor mounted on the cieling. I have a JVC 9030 VBK receiver & Infinity S-12" 300 watt Sub. All of it TOTALLY ROCKS!! I couldn't be happier with it.

Username: Stp

All :

I'd like to thank all of you for your input on the JVC HD-ILA LCoS TVs. This forum has been a great help in making my decision to place an order for an HD-52Z585 TV. I already ordered a RK-CILA5B matching JVC stand for it and am ready for the TV to arrive from TVAuthority.

Here is another article from Dec'04 that I didn't see mentioned in this forum that may also help others in the search for the best RPTV for the money : http://www.guidetohometheater.com/directviewandptvtelevisions/1204jvc/index.html

I'll post pics as soon as the TV arrives and is setup.

Bronze Member

Vista1, Ca Usa

Post Number: 30
I'm trying to understand the modes, standard thru Game, and how the JVC processes them.
Mr Lynch, you gave me a good idea of which ones you like to use, with different components.

Question is, does the JVC process differently between the video modes?

As an example, in the manual, pg59, Standard resets the picture to factory setting, Theater give a rich film-like look.

Is their something unique to each video mode, or is it's uniqueness overwritten by the user settings?

Mr Sparks

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 493
Mr. Sparks-

Each of the 4 settings is set by the factory. It is initially the same for every TV. When you adjust the settings the new values will be saved. If you adjust the Brightness in "stardard" to +5, it will always remain at +5 unless you change it again.

The reason each setting looks different even with all the values at default (0) is because JVC has set them up with different values in the service menu. (service manual page 16).
application/mswordUpload
factory settings.doc (34.8 k)

You also need to remember that 480i/480p content has seperate user values for each mode than content 720p/1080i.

You basically have 8 different video status values. 4 for SD, 4 for HD.

Bronze Member

Vista1, Ca Usa

Post Number: 31
Excellent. That answered the question well.
Thanks.

Mr Sparks

Silver Member

Post Number: 108
Is it really true that the RGB values in the service menu are different for each setting, i.e. standard, dynamic, theater, and game?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 494
Notice how the picture changes quite a bit between the Video modes? In the serice menu, The "Dynamic" has it's picture (+10) and detail (+5) settings boosted. "Game" has a (-10) on it's picture setting.
You can go into the service menu and set all the values to zero if you want an even slate for making adjustments in the user menu.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
I have a Hughes HDVR2 satellite receiver and I want to control the channels with the JVC's remote control. The manual on page 24 indicates 104 as the number to enter with JVC's remote control slide in the CATV position. This did not work. The manual refers me to page 28 to search the codes. I tried the procedure indicated for 80 times as directed. Still not working, and the final analysis was to use your satellite's remote control. My satellite is relatively new. Am I missing something.
Thanks

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
Rex,

Do what I did and buy one of these bad boys....

http://www.universalremote.com/urc/index.html

I have the URC-200 Automator and I don't know how I lived life before.

Bronze Member

Dallas, Texas USA

Post Number: 26
The JVC HD60Z575 at costco.com is now $3199.99. That's a real bargain!

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 495
I use the Universal MX-500. I believe it is the model the URC-200 replaced. You can find it for under $100, I've even seen it as low as $69. It can do everything.

Here is a a great review of it:
http://www.remotecentral.com/mx500/index.html

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 496
www.pac-2000.com just lowered the HD61z585 to $2899. The 52" 575 is $2125, and the 52" 585 is $2199. Good Guys also has the 52" 575 on sale for $2499.

Bronze Member
Username: Thedvdguy

Post Number: 15
Mr. Lynch,

I have the MX-500 and I love it, my only complaint is that there is no software for configuring it (or backing up the config). This is one task that I'm not really looking forward to when my new JVC set arrives next week.

The URC-200 is part of Universal Remote Control Inc.'s new "consumer line" of remotes. Remote Central, there is also a good description of each of these:

http://www.remotecentral.com/urcseries/index.html

I believe that the replacement for the MX-500 (in their "Professional - Home Theater Master" line is actually the MX-700 and MX-800. I believe this line is meant for Home Theater Installers and there is software for customizing these remotes.

http://www.universalremote.com/htm/products/index.html

There are also some good comparisons between the professional series remotes here:

http://www.remotecentral.com/remotes.htm#mx700
http://www.remotecentral.com/remotes.htm#mx800

The MX-1000 remote came out about the same time as the MX-500, it had fewer hard-buttons and a touch-screen portion.

And they just released a brand new one the MX-3000, but that is like $700-$1000!!!
http://www.smarthome.com/8054.html

-Brett

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 497
Brent-

Thanks for clearing it up. All I really know is I like my remote.

Mr. Sparks-

Didn't you own a DLP before you got a JVC? Why did you switch over?

Bronze Member

Vista1, Ca Usa

Post Number: 32
Mr Lynch - yes I did have an RCA DLP before switching over to the JVC. The RCA does have a very good picture, but overall the JVC is just a better set. Unavoidable reason for me to switch over was because of headaches and eye strain from the color wheel. When Xboxing, my friends all noticed their eyes ached from the DLP. With the JVC, the headaches are gone and the eye strain is greatly reduced.

Other JVC improvements are; colors seem more vivid, 2" bigger, 720p (the RCA did 1080i, but not 720p!). Nicer cabinet, I really like the floating screen with black border. I think it's a classy looking cabinet. Also, the vertical viewing angle is better.

The JVC is very bright. Blacks look somewhat washed out. I'll be doing the DVE disk soon for 480p, but I don't have an upconverting DVD so that's a problem regarding calibrating 720p.

My only complaint is not with the JVC, but the quality of HD and standard cable. I have a good strong signal from Cox, but analog channels have grain, and HD pixelates at times, especially during fast motion. Much of the HD programming is not true HD.

Mr Sparks

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 498
It is nice to hear someone else experience similar problems to what I had with DLP. A lot of people think that since they can't see rainbows, they are fine with DLP. I had a Samsung DLP for a week and I could did not see rainbows, but for some reason I could not watch TV or play games for more than an hour or 2 without strained headachy feeling. Since the wife saw rainbows and hated the set, we tried the JVC.
When Halo 2 came out, my wife and I played on the JVC for about 6 hours straight without any issues (other than hunger).

I know what you mean about the quaility of programing. Comcast just added CBS to the HD lineup, but they also switched to a Microsoft based TV guide. It takes about 30 seconds for any HD channel to "tune-in". I called Comcast, and they said "the new MS guide has a few bugs we are trying to workout, just feel lucky your HD even works." I'm paying almost $120 a month for HDTV and high speed internet, it better start working without issues.
I've also noticed that some programs are touted as "HD" but they are really shown in 480 widescreen. FOX use to do it all the time, but it is getting better now.
Do you get TNT in HD? Comcast doesn't have it, but INHD/INHD2 does show a few TNT basketball games every week in HD. I love how you can see the entire width of the court. It is fun to watch what everyone is doing, not just the couple guys you get when watching it in Standard def. I get spoiled and it makes the Sonics games (only shown in SD) hard to watch.

Bronze Member

Vista1, Ca Usa

Post Number: 33
Mr Lynch - Yep, not having DLP headaches is a big improvement. No cox does not have TNT in HD. 30 seconds to change a channel is nuts! My cox bill is $160 a month! I may look into zoom when they get DVR.

I need some help with calibration -
I just got finished attempting to calibrate 480p with DVE CD disk.
I started with Theater mode, with Mr Lynch's settings.
I could not get the 3rd, outer bar to become visible. I even tried adjusting Picture and Bright all the way up and still no outer 3rd bar!

Blue was already close, red OK and green was funky.

I could not affect the pattern for blooming.

And the final pattern for sharpness, not much luck. Adjusting Detail made little difference so I just left it at zero.

Am I missing something here? When I used DVE with my RCA DLP, everything adjust nicely. I really had no luck adjusting with the DVE disk.

Any suggestions?

Mr Sparks

Post Number: 10
Mr. Lynch
Will the MX500 learn all the functions of the JVC remote and have a label to correspond to the function of each button like the JVC has.
Thanks
Jim

Bronze Member

Dallas, Texas USA

Post Number: 27
Mr Sparks,
I also had the same results as you with the DVE disk. Really no better than I had it before, all though I am satisfied with the way it looks but could be better I suppose. But then again, I only have SD, I am waiting for DTV to get more HD channels before I jump on that wagon.

Bronze Member

Vista1, Ca Usa

Post Number: 34
Dan - yeah, I could not adjust the JVC to give good results in DVE.

Anyone who's used DVE, do you know why Brightness or Picture can not be adjusted to make the third, outer blank bar appear in the pluge pattern? It's the very first test pattern in the DVE CD. Also please read my last post above.

Mr Sparks

Silver Member

Post Number: 109
Mr. Sparks,

I have the DVE disc and I know exactly what you're talking about. Not all DVD players will display black levels set below "video black." The third (outer-most) bar is 1% below video black, or something like that. If you really listen to the narrator of the disc he gives a pretty clear explanation. The alternative way to use that pluge pattern (which is also described by the narrator) is to adjust the brightness up and down and watch the second bar, which is 2% above (lighter than) video black (the inner-most bar is 4% above video black). Watch the second bar as you move the brightness up and down and you should see it disappear and reappear. Adjust the brightness so that the second bar is just barely visible. You will probably want to do this with very little ambient light (turn your lights down or off).

Hope this helps,
Ryan

Silver Member

Post Number: 110
Mr. Sparks,

Correction to my last post:

The inner-most bar is the one that is 2% above (lighter than) video black, and that's the one that you should watch to see it disappear and reappear. The second bar is 4% above video black.

Sorry about that.

Later,
Ryan

Silver Member

Post Number: 111
Mr Lynch,

This may sound like a stupid question, since I have already played around with the service menu. But, in my wanderings through the service menu, I never saw anything that looked like I could re-adjust the different settings, i.e. standard, dynamic, theater, and game, back to all zero's for picture, brightness, detail, etc. Can you please tell me what to look for, or specifically how to accomplish this?

I would really appreciate it!

Thanks & Regards,
Ryan

Bronze Member

Vista1, Ca Usa

Post Number: 35
Hey Ryan, thanks for confirming that. I did end up adjusting the inner most bar to just barely reappear, since I never could get the 3rd outer bar to show at all.

I used the same pioneer DVD player with my RCA DLP and was able to adjust the outer bar. I wonder what is different about the JVC. I remember reading reviews that mentioned less than good black levels with the JVC.

What is the difference between Picture and Brightness? - the manual does not make it clear.

Even on a true HD channel, some objects appear to be set with too much sharpness, almost pixelated.
So, I wanted to adjust the sharpness level (Detail), to no avail. I used the sharpness pattern in DVE, adjusted the Detail setting and it made almost no difference. I could'nt get rid of the extra information added to the test lines, so just left Detail at zero.

Once again, I was able to adjust my previous RCA set to get a very clean line, with almost no added information to test lines. What's up with adjusting the JVC? What am I missing?

Anyone have any feedback on adjusting sharpness (Detail setting)?

Mr Sparks

Unregistered guest
Wow, what a great forum. I have been searching for a TV for about a month and have pretty much decided on the HD52z575.
I saw pac-2000 listed above, has anyone purchased from them? Are there any other good sources? My local Ultimate Electronics is charging $2999, plus tax(7%) plus $500 warranty. I was hoping to keep the whole purchase below $3K.
Thanks for hte help.

Silver Member

Post Number: 112
Mr. Sparks,

I have had the same experience with DVD players. My old DVD player had all three bars, but I got a new one (Sony975) and this one only has the two. The only difference that I have noticed is that the transition from lighter colors to darker colors is a bit more abrupt. I believe they have been calling this "black crush." But, it's really not that bad, especially if you take care in adjusting the brightness and picture settings.

As for the detail setting, try setting it as low as it will go. Sometimes you have to put it all the way down to eliminate all of the noise.

I'll keep posting if I figure out anything else. By the way, my second set just got here about 4 hours ago, and so far so good! But my fingers are still crossed.

Later,
Ryan

Bronze Member

Vista1, Ca Usa

Post Number: 36
Ryan - thanks for the input and good luck with the new set.

Mr Sparks

Username: Nuclearfish

Nashville, TN USA

Hi Folks,

new member here,

Thanks to everyone in the forum for bringing up so much about these sets... I've read the threads all the way back to October, grabbed the service manual and Mr. Lynch's settings, and will order the HD52Z585 from Tv Authority next week.

I called them up, talked to a rep (Kin's his name), and here's what they're offering:
1) The HD52Z585 for 2,445.00 w/ free next-day shipping

2) 4-year In-Home service warranty, which kicks in after the JVC 1-year warranty period (so it's a 5-year protection plan) for 289.99

3) 3-year bulb warranty for $100 (which can be used over-and-over again if your bulbs burn out in under 5000 hours of use.

Needless to say, he has me sold.

The going price for the ILA 52" sets here in Nashville is $2700 to $2900.

I'm getting components from Amazon: all JVC.

Does anyone else have an all-JVC set-up?

I'd like to hear how the A/V CumpuLink works between the set and the other components...

Can't wait to get the new set-up.

The ILA sets just stand out from the crowd at the stores. There's nothing brighter, with such a solid punch of color.

Glad to finally join in the talks, and I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions once everything is set up.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
I ordered my 52" 75 from TVAuthority as well, and it should be arriving early next week. Note to anyone who orders from there, if you mention that you are an AVS Forum member (sign up its free), then you should be able to get another $50 off. (so $2395 shipped.)

http://www.tvauthority.com/AVS-Forum-MEMBERS-ONLY/AVS-Forum-MEMBERS-ONLY.asp

I know this site doesn't have the 85 listed, but the rep I spoke to would have given it to me for the same price.

I didn't realize they offered a separate bulb warranty. Ididn't go for the extended warranty through them as I plan on buying it through my Visa card, which several people on here mentioned that it covers the bulb as well.

TVAuthority's free shipping is threshold only, not sure if they offer a white glove service or not.

Any tips on the best place to hold the TV when moving it? Is it something that I should have two people to do, its only 80 lbs, but it figure it might be a little awkward with just one person.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Scott, I got free ground shipping, not next day :-(

Nashville, TN USA

Post Number: 2
Hey, Free shipping's great as it is.. how many days?

I like the extra $50 off.. I'll mention that when I order next week.

We're using cash, so I've gotta take what I can get warranty-wise.

Thanks for the extra insights brett,

Scott

Unregistered guest
How does the Visa Warranty work? Do you contact Visa directly?

Thanks for the input.

Username: Hstraub

St Paul, MN

I searched the archives for Visa and found it.....sorry for the post.

Post Number: 2
Has anyone investigated protective screens for the JVC HD-ILAs ?

I found the following company that makes custom fit screens ... http://www.mightyshield.com

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 500
Jim Shawgo-

You can program just about any button on the remote to do whatever you want. There are also 10 button next to the LCD that you can program and label how you like. It is really easy to do. You don't need to enter codes into the remote, you just face the old remote toward the MX500 and press the button you want it to learn. The MX500 will "read" the signal and save it to the button you want.

The Might Shield screen protectors can also be bought though Best Buy. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051806321569&skuId=5405572&productCa tegoryId=cat08097&type=product
A friend of mine bought one not long ago. He said they get some info from you on they type of screen you want, and the TV you have. They a guy came out and installed it. It took about 2 weeks for the entire process. He son likes to beat on the front of the TV, and the screen has held up very well considering some of the shots it has taken.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 502
For those of you in the Seattle area:

Head over to Fry's in Renton and check out the new 82" Mitsubishi LCoS 1080p set. It lists for $20,000, but they have it for ONLY $15,000. It is a great looking set. I can't wait to see the 70" JVC 1080p set.

Username: Kpfiredpt

Post Number: 7
Mr.Lynch I've had my new set about three weeks now and knock on wood I have had no problems but I do have a quetion for you. I was wondering what kind of surge protection and model you use. I seen at the top of these post you have a UPS but I looked and couldn't find what size you had could you please tell what model and series you are using. I got called out to a hydro fire (volunteer firefighter)the other night, the hydro had not gone off but when i arrived on scene i immediatly relayed a message home to shut off the tv. Good thing i did because the tree that was against the hydro wires collasped about a half hour later touching both lines together with three massive arcs and taking out power to the whole area. This got me worried about not having stable power or power surges that might screw up my tv so I thought that I should use some type of battery back-up which kind i'm not sure please help.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 504
I use the APC BE500u. It is a 500va unit. I only have my TV plugged into it, and I use a seperate surge protector for the rest of my equipment.

You can check it out here:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051384661648&skuId=5248154&type=prod uct

I bought mine from Fry's Electronics. It had a $20 instant rebate at the time so I paid around $40 I believe.

Unregistered guest
Hi
I have the HD52Z575 and have been using it since Dec, it was made in Sept 04 and my wife and I have been very happy with excellent performance on HD, DVD, the the SD signals mainly thru the digital HDMI have been OK as SD goes...we have watched this on weekends (it is at a 2nd home)
all has been fine, till this weekend when I was watching a few shows (one was Master and Commander and Catch me if you can - both video on demand from Time warner) and we saw very distinct green vertical lines spaced evenly about 1 inch apart across the full screen, I noticed it in very dark/black scenes and I do not remember seeing this before but now after being sensitized to it I could even see them faintly in normally lite scenes although much less distinct, but none the less still evident and still green.
I am coming back to this group since it was so good back when I was reading all the comments when I was deciding and after purchasing...and now wonder is there any one here who has seen this or similar, I just called JVC and have to wait up to 2 biz days for a reply from a product specialist they definitely have to look at it as I know of no adjustment unless someone here has an idea, I will appreciate any comments or thoughts
Thanks in advance and I still believe I bought a great product, I am just hoping it only requires a simple fix
Peter
ps anyone read the reviews on the new competing Sony LCOS- big bucks too, I read one sounded great but at $13K list we could have this unit in all the bedrooms...

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 505
Peter-

Could you post a picture of the problem you are having?

Peter t
Unregistered guest
HiMr Lynch, I did not think to take a photo and I won't be back at my weekend home (inear Woodstock, NY) for 2 weeks, but I will keep you posted, I want to have a JVC rep come, but it is a weekend thing so I don't know how that will fly hopefully they do weekend service
will keep you posted, it is a bit troublesome if it is a problem??
Thx for quick reply
Peter

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Use caution when ordering from TVAuthority.com...

I ordered my TV on Sunday the 13th, the TV was in stock, and the sales person told me that I would receive it at the beginning of this week. After several calls to the sales department (since no one ever picks up the order status line), I finally got an email TODAY with the tracking number, which shows the TV scheduled for delivery on the 25th (well at least it may make it for the weekend). It looks like the TV didn't even SHIP until today!

So far, I must say that I am a little disappointed with the quality of Customer Service from TVAuthority. They claimed that no one was answering the order status line since the woman who usually handles the brunt of the calls has been out sick for the past couple of weeks, and that they have managers pitching in and doing the grunt work.

I am hoping everything will be fine with the TV so I don't have to try to deal with them again. When I asked for a later build-date, I didn't realize I was going to have to wait for it to be built first. ;-)

I hope that my experience is not the norm, but I just wanted to caution others who are considering ordering from them.

-Brett

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 506
Peter-

You really don't need to go though JVC at all. On the JVC site search for the nearest Authorized repair center, and contact them.
http://www.jvc.com/ascsearch/mqlocator.exe?link=index

Tell them the issue, and you can schedule a service call with them directly. If they are any good, they should be able to determine the problem over the phone and order the right parts for you. They will also ask for your TV info (purchase date, serial number) and they will take care of the warranty part of the process. All you have to do is sign the paper when they are done. No cost to you.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
I have a UPS from Costco. It was under $100
It is a Tripp-Lite OMNIVS1000.
We have lost power the last week or so (Los Angeles rains), however the TV had not been on at the time. The UPS seems solid enough with a number of outputs. Surge protection for power, coax, and phone, and also protects against variation in voltage with automatic voltage regulation. If you have a PC it has a USB connector and can be controlled by installing some software that you download from their web site.

Nashville, TN USA

Post Number: 3
Brett, you're scaring me...

Please let us know what happens w/ the TV.
I was going to order tomorrow.

I'll probably bite the bullet and do it - that price is tough to beat.

Silver Member

Post Number: 156
Well, I have a replacement coming Sunday to replace my JVC because it had a weird scan line issue but it was still watchable. However, tonight, the bulb blew on it. So now I have no TV until Sunday. It has the blinking LED and blinking power at the same time. That's a bad bulb right? Seems scary that the bulb blew in only 3 weeks.

Bronze Member
Username: Condor

Post Number: 70
Scott,

You have very little recourse when purchasing "cash".

Use a credit card, especially for online purchases. Visa or Amex will back up your claim.

Nashville, TN USA

Post Number: 4
We're using our debit card as visa - Avoiding debt if we can help it.

Bronze Member

Vista1, Ca Usa

Post Number: 37
Scott- using your debit card is same as cash. Not a good idea.

Just trying to keep you out of trouble.

Mr Sparks

Nashville, TN USA

Post Number: 5
don't want to keep us off-topic, but you guys are sying it's safer to buy big-ticket items with credit, as you're better protected by the creditors if there's any problems with the item or service?

If that's the case, we can use a card - wow, first time debt can be seen as a positive, huh?

Thanks folks. Now I've just got to decide whether or not to deal with TV Authority, or pay a higher price for the convenience of a loacl dealer/delivery.

What do you all reccomend?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Sorry to have made you nervous Scott.

I just wanted to report on what's going on with my order, because I had previously suggested TVAuthority. Before the sale everyone was very friendly answering all my questions and helping me out. It has just been very frustrating trying to get answers now. I don't know if because their staff is sick , because of the holiday, or if this is standard operating procedure. I had read some good things about them on the AVS Forum, and they had the better price so that's why I went with them.

I emailed them earlier with basically the same message I posted above, hoping to at least get some sort of apology or explanation, and so far have gotten no response.

It appears that they shipped my TV via air (originally it was supposed to be ground) so it will make it here before the weekend, so at least it appears they are trying to do something.

I'll let you know how things go when if/when it shows up on Friday.

-Brett

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Scott
I bought our Z585 from a local store for $2450 and used my VISA to get the extra year warranty plus I can extend that warranty to 3 or 5 years if I want in the first year for an additional charge. If you go with a local store you have someone you can call who should have a tech to work on it if needed. I played around with buying on line but just felt better buying locally.

Good Luck
Jim

Bronze Member
Username: Condor

Post Number: 71
Scott, you said:

>>>We're using our debit card as visa - Avoiding debt if we can help it.<<<

Use a credit card and pay your bill in FULL when it arrives. Visa and Amex may also offer double the manufacturers warranty depending on the card program.

If you have any problems getting your merchandise (JVC), you can have Visa or Amex investigate and reverse the charges to your account. With a "cash" or "debit" card purchase, you are on your own.

All ... in response to Scott's use of a Visa Debit Card ... If it is a bank issued Check Card I know that it has the exact same Zero Liability Policy that a VISA credit card would.

http://www.usa.visa.com/personal/cards/debit/index.html?it=c|/personal/index%2Ehtml|Check%20Cards

Have you not seen the Donald Trump commercial where he drops (well the wind blows it out of his hands) his check card off the skyscraper and rushes to the ground to search through a dumpster to find it and then they it says that he doesn't have to worry, he's covered the same for liability and fraud just as if it was a credit card.

And to get better piece of mind call the number on the back of the card and ask ...

simplyTron
Unregistered guest
Within the past couple of days i've noticed a difference in the noise the fan produces. When I first got it the fan sounded normal. I kind of fast pasted whir that could only be heard at low volume levels. Now the fan produces a more distinct lower pitched humming sound that remains constant when the tv is on. I checked the back and there is air being blown out, so I'm assuming the fan is still running. Anyone have any idea what it could be?

Silver Member

Post Number: 157
Well, my bulb wasn't blown after-all. Lights still blinking the wife turned on the tv just now, for whatever reason. Low and behold, the set came on. So, I guess it just went into some sort of safe mode? As long as I have tv until Sunday when the replacement comes I'm happy.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 507
Those of you willing to buy from an online source should check out www.pac-2000.com. They are just north of Seattle, and it is hard to find a place with a better price. I went with a buddy and purchased a set from them in person. They seemed very professional, and had a nice setup in a small warehouse. I know a few people who have ordered from them online, and had good results.
They have the 52" 575 for $2125, 585 for $2199.
White glove shipping/delivery is $150
a 2 year Extended warranty is $249, and a 4 year is $299. Not bad prices.

Debit Cards-
I know my Bank of America debit card is treated just like a regular credit card. I had a bogus charge on it a few months ago, and they refunded the money without a problem.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 508
Rick-

Glad to hear your set is working. Are they swapping out your set, or just replacing the light engine?

I noticed that when I had a new bulb put in I had horrible screen problems. With an all blue "no input" screen, The bottom right was a solid dark blue, and the upper left had a nice dark green glow. I called the service center and the guy told me to give it a day or 2 for the bulb to break-in. I checked the screen again 2 days later and it was perfect. A week has gone by now, and it is still perfect. The point of my story it that if you do have repairs done, or the bulb and or light engine replaced, give it a few days to settle in. JVC even said to give the TV a good 2 weeks of use before evaluating it for problems. That applies to brand new sets too.

Bronze Member

Vista1, Ca Usa

Post Number: 38
Mr Lynch and Rick - glad your sets are working again.

I'm reposting this -
I attempted to calibrate 480p with DVE CD disk.
I started with Theater mode, with Mr Lynch's settings.

Adjusting for black levels with DVE:
I could not get the 3rd, outer bar to become visible. I even tried adjusting Picture and Bright all the way up and still no outer 3rd bar!

Blooming:
I also could adjust the pattern for blooming.

Sharpness:
And the final pattern for sharpness, not much luck. Adjusting Detail made little difference so I just left it at zero.

Am I missing something here? When I used DVE with my RCA DLP, everything adjusted very nicely.
I had no luck calibrating the JVC with the DVE disk.

Mr Sparks

Silver Member

Post Number: 158
Mr Lynch- I'm getting a new set because my current set has a strange scan line break up on fast moving objects on both DVD and cable. I did the service menu check and it had 2 of the 3 sync settings were NG. So, I guess it had a sync issue. While waiting for this Sunday and the new set, the old one died yesterday. Both LED and power lights flashed simultaneously. I assumed bulb was blown. But that could also mean a heat problem and the unit simply prevented itself from turning on, a safe mode I guess. I am getting a completely new set Sunday, from a new shipment so I;m hoping it's a Jan build at least.

I have my neutral density filters ready to go so I can try the filter mod.

As for the service menu, can you fix the NGs? Like mine had 2 sync issues as NG and a RGB was NG9 or something. If I can the new set and run the self check and it has a NG somewhere does that mean it's got an issue and I should call service right away?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 509
Mr. Sparks-

Black levels-
When I use DVE with my Toshiba DVD player or my Xbox I can not see the 3rd outer bar. DVE has a section that explains some DVD players will not display the 3rd bar which if I remember correctly is darker than 0% black. R. Schneck explained it pretty good on one of his Feb 19th posts.

Sharpness-
I have never noticed a change when adjusting "detail". I'm not sure what signal is needed for it to work properly.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 510
Rick-

You don't need to worry to much about NG in the Sync or the RBG. Anytime there is a sync or color issue, it will cause NG to appear. Most the time this is signal related, and not due to a bad TV.
Go into the Self-check, and turn the TV off when in it. It will reset the self-check. Go back into the self check and see if everything stays at "OK". If anything changes to NG within that time, then you potentially have a problem.

Silver Member

Post Number: 159
Mr Lynch- So it's only a problem when you run the self check and the same NG comes up more then once? If that happens, what call JVC and tell you have a problem but that you did not go into the service menu?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 511
Rick-

Any self-check NG that is a serious issue will show up during normal operation.

For example:
If your TV shuts off for no apparent reason and you are able to turn it back on later, I would run a self-check.
If you notice NG with the fans or the LOB (top 2 listed) then you might have a serious problem. Either one of those will cause the TV to temporarily shut down.

The self-check in mainly used by a tech to determine if there is a serious problem that could be causing the problem you are experiencing. If you blow a bulb and after the replacement you get NG under the fans, the tech might investigate to see if the fans were the problem, and not just a bad bulb.

If your fans seem to be louder or sound different, you can use the self-check to see if they are having any problems.

Other than that, I would not be concerned with the self-check. If you feel your having a problem, reset the self-check and see if anything shows ups after that.

When you call, don't have to tell JVC anything other than the fact something is not working right with your set. There is no way JVC can check to see if you went into the service menu, and if it was a big issue then would not sell the manual to the public on their website.

When my TV stopped working, I pulled the bulb and saw it was blown. When I called the service center I told them the bulb was bad, and to make sure they bring one out. I didn't want them to come out once to figure out the problem, and them order the parts and come out a 2nd time.

Silver Member

Post Number: 160
Mr Lynch-
That's what i mean. I had 2 sync attributes with NG and I had a weird scan line issue. So, to me, that means I had some sync issue with the TV. It happens on DVD and TV, so it's not a source, or it's not only the source. It's at least a combo of the JVC and source and there's sync issue. So, hopefully the new set will be issue free.

Nashville, TN USA

Post Number: 6
Okay folks,

I ordered from PAC-2000 yesterday- very nice people.
got the 4-yr warranty.
Used a VISA. How does this work for the bulbs?

They only ship ground, so it will be 10-15 days, so I'll use the time to get the place ready for the new TV.

I really appreciate everyone's input. This is a great group!

Scott

Peter t
Unregistered guest
Mr Lynch
re: the vertical scan green line, I had to call JVC as the web site gave an authorized dealer and only 1 in the area code where TV is located, called and they said my location is out of their service area, JVC took info and that same nite a tech called we discussed and he said it could be the signal from cable box , I could not dispute since I did not exploe other inputs like a DVD and if lines were visible on that, so the plan is for him to call me when I get back to the house in 2 weeks and we will go thru an evaluation, seems reasonable... will let you know but it was a bit annoying that the web site gave bad info on service... we'll see where it leads if they have to come to see the set
Thx

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
I just did a search on the JVC site for authorized repair locations for the D-ILA sets, and there appears to only be ONE in Massachusetts, and its almost 2 hours away!

Does this mean that I am not going to be able to get any service on the TV if I have any problems?

Do you get additional listings if you call JVC directly?

Thanks

-Brett

M.A.
Unregistered guest
Does anyone know about the new JVC models coming out and how/if they will be improved upon? I was looking at buying the 61" (575 model) but was told by a salesman that a new 61" model (975) is due out next month. If anyone has any info on this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Silver Member

Post Number: 113
Hello Everyone,

I received my second set this past weekend, and no problems... it looks fantastic! I think that I got very lucky with this second one. It is a Jan. '05 build if anyone cares to know.

So, there was a brief discussion on remotes a bit earlier, and I would like to continue that thread if I may. I am wondering if anyone out there has discovered whether or not this TV has discrete power codes? That is, when programming a universal remote, are you able to find codes (separate IR signals) for both ON and OFF rather than just a generic POWER toggle command? I hope so, considering the time that this TV takes to power on and off. If anyone was able to find discrete power codes, could you please tell me which universal remote that you use? I currently use the H/K take control (a discontinued, little-known touchscreen remote that is programmed via a USB cord and a PC with some prepackaged MS software) and since it is old and discontinued I'm not sure that it will include the set of IR signals for this TV in it's pre-existing database. But, I suppose I will find out soon enough. I like the fact that some of the harmony remotes use internet-based set-up software... that way they can keep their IR signal database up-to-date.

Thanks,
Ryan

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Ryan,

There are some out there, because doing a quick search on remotecentral.com (scroll down to where it says "JVC HD-ILA 52" & 61" Television"), I found this for the MX-700 remote:

http://www.remotecentral.com/files/ind-224.htm

-Brett

Username: Mosspa

Dayton, OH USA

Just an off-topic note about credit/debt cards:

There is a difference between fraud (illegal) and customer dissatisfaction (legal to gray area). While it is true that most bank issues debit cards protect you from fradulant charges and depletions of your checking account, they don't necessarily have the courtesy services of charge-back, or intervention with the seller that are provided by credit cards.

When somebody sells you something, they have no liablity in taking it back if you don't like it. Even if it is broken on delivery, they assume no liability to take it back, and can force you to use the manufacturer's warranty if they don't provide one. The credit card companies exert a reasonable amount of muscle over dealers, especially chains. Also, since the credit card company can issue you a credit and debit the seller, they have the upper hand from that angle, as well. These services are provided to you by the credit card company as a courtesy. The credit card companies make most of their profits on the margin they charge the seller. Additionally, they are profiting by charging you interest. Think about it. When you use a debt card, there is no incentive for the credit card company to extend you any favors, at all. I refuse to carry a debit card because I can see absolutely no good use for them. My son, however, does use one, so I try to keep abreast of what pontential dangers lurk when he carries it.

Anyway, if you have a credit card you should use it for any major purchase. First of all, you get the security of using a credit card and all of the courtesy services the companies provide. Second, you can reap the benefit of whatever incentive program is associated with your card (i.e., air miles do add up). Anyway, the use of a debit card presumes that you have sufficient funds in your checking account to cover the debit. It seems a no-brainer that if you can cover the credit card bill with one payment, why you would ever possibly think of using a debit card.

Moss

Silver Member

Post Number: 114
Brett,
That's good news. I take it you have the MX-700? If so, how do you like it? Is that one computer programmable and does it have a code database that they update on a regular basis?
Thanks,
Ryan

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Ryan,

Actually as I mentioned in an earlier post, I have the MX-500, which I really like. Since it still works quite well, I can't convince myself to spend the $150+ on the MX-700.

The MX-700 is computer programable and has a IR database. I don't know a lot about it, since I don't own one, but people have posted some specialized codes in addition to the standard database of codes. I think you can update the DB via the web as well from the manufacturer.

You can download the software from remotecentral as well and take a look at it, without having to own the remote. I don't know if there is a way to just cut and paste RAW IR codes like you can with the Pronto remotes/software.

There is a whole forum and file section on remotecentral dedicated to this remote, I suggest you look there for more detailed answers to your questions. I got a lot of useful info there several years back, when I was deciding on buying my MX-500.

-Brett

Nashville, TN USA

hey guys,

since the Tv is on the way,
I've got to ask you which you prefer on this TV: cable or satellite?
Does anyone use VOOM, and how well do these choices work with the HD-ILA TVs?

I want the most HD bang for my buck

Scott

Username: Geegee

Brisbane, Queensland Australia

G'day all,yes, rear proj tv gives a superb picture.We veterans with them now know something that may spoil your day. It seems that the life of light scource (bulb,ballast unit,engine)averaged over 14 months is 8.3 months.this is over most models (Samsung,Pansnc,LG & probably Mits)This is likely recognized by manufacturers as they have recently reduced lamp warrenty 12 months to 90 days.A lamp&ballast+ fitting in Aus. is $1128aus. my mate with a deceased Sammy 50" "If a lamp goes twice,might as well turn it into a fish tank". Despite this,retailers are still quoting 8k-10k hrs lamp life on most models,& note the deafening silence from professional reviewers,& the retail outlets. GET IT IN WRITING. There are moves afoot to legally investigate this scam,possibly resulting in withdrawal of the product till it becomes "merchantable", or lives up to its promises.For useful info see forum threads at:-
ecoustics-"samsung dlp problems,help"/".samsung 116"/ "samsung 154"/".PannyPT-xxLCxx"/.at "productreview au",-electronics-rear proj tv-"LG 111", to name but a few. I hope this is not true of the Mits,(fingers crossed) Note:- For anyone considering fish tank conversion,I'm making up a DIY kit,silicone sealer,12v backlights, genuine Barrier Reef coral sand & Queensland trop.fish - - - - - George gw.golding@optusnet.com.au

Username: Geegee

Brisbane, Queensland Australia

Post Number: 4
Sorry folks, that last mail should have been sent to the Mitsubishi thread, anyway the contents seem to relate to all or most RP-DLP/LCD tv's unfortunately.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 515
I use Comcast digital cable here in Seattle. We get 8 of the 9 local channels in HD (ABC,NBC,CBS,PBS,FOX and a few others) along with ESPNHD, INHD, INHD2, NFL Network in HD, Showtime, Stars, Cinemax and HBO in HD, and also Discovery HD. CBS was just added, and in the next few months we are getting ESPN2 HD and TNT HD. We also have the Motorola cable box with the PVR that records HD programs, so we almost always have something good to watch in HD. I've been really happy with it so far.

I haven't tried any of the satilite services.

Mitch
Unregistered guest
I almost pulled the trigger and bought a Samsung 5674 even though i thought the JVC looked better because I was worried about the "new Technology". However, my gut says go with the JVC so I am going for it. I could really use your expert advice. I will sit between 8-14 feet from the screen(depending on the seat) and I am wondering if the 61" will be too big (ie. imperfections in SD be much more noticeable than the 52")? Also, is there another internet source I should consider in addition to pac-2000? Lastly, could someone point me toward the approximate date that the Visa extended warranty information was posted?
Thanks in advance!

Bronze Member

Vista1, Ca Usa

Post Number: 39
Hey Mitch, I can address your sitting distance for you. 61" X 2 + 122" /12 = 10.2 feet is the closest you'd sit for HD signal.

I have the 52". My throne is 9 feet away. My wife sits at 11 feet away. The picture on my 52" looks much better at 11 feet for SD signal. 9 feet is fine for HD, on the 52".

Of course everyone's eye's are different, so experiment and see what is best for you and your family.

Mr Sparks

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 516
I sit 9 1/2 feet from our 52". It is just about right. When I had my Aunt's 60 LCD for a few weeks to build a stand, I tried it out in my living room. 9 1/2 feet seemed way too close for a 60". HD content looked fine, but SD was almost unwatchable.

Here is a link to the VISA warranty info-
http://usa.visa.com/personal/cards/benefits/bft_warranty_mgr.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us