Archive through February 16, 2005

Bronze Member
Username: Mr_sparks

Vista1, Ca Usa

Post Number: 12
Dan, no audio or video filters. I don't see what you would need them for.
UPS is just battery back-up should the power go out. We get black-outs, brown-outs and surges in CA. It'll give the JVC fan, time to cool the bulb. 1000va is enough power to handle all your home theater components. The costco unit has an adjustment to give your component's nice clean power should it detect sinewave distortion. I have UPS on all my computer equipment and home theater. It's cheap protection for expensive equipment.

Mr Sparks

Unregistered guest
Mr. Lynch

Just ordered the cables off your post. Nice price, saved some $'s with the info. Thanks. Ordering the 585 here in a week or two. Basement close to being finished. Thanks all, keep it up.

Username: Soitgos

Post Number: 7
I have a question for those who have ordered online. Which online service has the best price and service. I have been reading the reviews for a lot of the online stores and not real happy with what people have to say. What experiences have you all had.
Thanks for your time
Jim

Username: Raedavey

Post Number: 1
Wow. I am glad I found all of you. I just bought the JVC last night and of course immediately had to set it up. Have some minor issues and adjustments, many of which I think are based on my lack of knowledge on what I own and how to set it up. I have been reading thru here and have already gotten answers to many of my questions.

I can't get a HD box from my cable company till next week and I suppose that will the be the true test of the tv. Right now my digital cable looks really good and DVDs are superb but my normal tv stations are extremely pixalated. I am hoping that either I can figure out how to fix that on my own or the better box with the HDMI cable will correct much of that.

Anyway, while reading I found one issue I have that no one has mentioned (or I didn't read enough of the archives, in which case I apologize) I have a slight flicker in the left hand top corner of the tv. I didn't notice it with DVDs so I am assuming it is a cable thing. But someone I spoke to prior to purchasing this had told me all about the fan and the lightbulb and now I can't help but wonder if that is what is causing the flicker.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Rae

Username: Mmdennis

Post Number: 9
I also have NG with my M and S sync, in the self test... what does this mean and how do I fix it??????????????????????????????????

Username: Thedvdguy

Post Number: 10
A quick question about viewing distance...
I am thinking I'm gonna go with the 52" JVC.

The place where I sit will probably be a viewing distance of about 10.5 to 11.5 feet, but where my wife sits is probably about 8.5-9.5 feet. Is this viewing distance going to be too short?

JVC doesn't make a smaller D-ILA set, so 52" is my only option, unless I go with a different technology.

Thanks

-Brett

Bronze Member

Vista1, Ca Usa

Post Number: 13
I sit 9 feet from a 50" set and like it (I'm trading in next week for the 52" JVC).

I believe the general rule of thumb is to double the TV diagonal. So 52" X 2 = 104" / 12 = 8.6 feet. So technically you're good. The ideal is to not sit so close that you see pixels and imperfections.

Preferences vary. You could take your wife to the store and make sure she's OK at 8.5 feet. Or give her your throne, at 10.5 feet.

Mr Sparks

Mark Z
Unregistered guest
Can anyone tell me what the life expectancy of the bulb should be on HD-ILA sets? My unit started to dim after ~800 hrs and the bulb finally went out shortly thereafter. We got the set back in November and I was expecting to not have to replace the bulb for a couple of years.

Bronze Member
Username: Dmako

Post Number: 100
I think (someone back me up) at 4000 hours you start to get a warning about bulb life. But I think the average expected life is 8000 hours.

Username: Fc7

Post Number: 5
It looks like the M:NG and S:NG is typical on these sets from your responses.

The reason I did a self check..is that when I have 480i or 480p signal. The ""aspect"" menu on JVC displays only the HD menu.. the NTSC aspect menu disappeared. The HD box is set at "passthrough". Also regardles what mode I changed to..

fixed,autoconvert1,autoconvert2 or autoDVI . The box is scientific atlanta 3250HD from Rogers, Canada.

Any thoughts

Username: Kpfiredpt

Hi everyone! Got my 61Z575 friday morning at 8:30 am. About a week and a half early. We let it warm-up to room temperature for about 5hrs well we put the stand together. It is working great, awsome picture! Anyway just one quick question if someone could help me. I rented Alien vs Predator and it was awsome but icould not get it to fill the whole screen in cinema mode. There was about two inches of bar at the top and bottom of the screen. My son told me that it was the way the new dvds were, but I told him no that the movie was i in wide screen format(16:9) same as the tv. Is there an adjustment i should be making in the tv or the dvd player? I am temporarily using RCA (analog) cables.

Bronze Member
Username: Zoob

Hi Barry,

Not all movies are filmed in 16:9 (1.77:1), some are 1.85:1 or 2.35:1. With these ratios, you'll see black bars on top and bottom.

More details here:
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/aspectratios/widescreenorama.h tml

Username: Kpfiredpt

Post Number: 6
Thanks Nuknukbadugga! Here i thought i needed to do some more playing around. I will have to try and rent a film that anamorphic wide screen 16:9 to check it out.

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 473
Francis-

If you allow the cable box to re-scale ths signal to 720p or 1080i, you will only get the HD aspect ratios. With my motorola box, when you set the 4:3 override to "off" the box scales the video to 720p before outputing it. The TV sees this as a 720p signal and defaults to the HD settings. If I set the 4:3 to 480i or 480p, the TV receives a 480 signal and scales it to 720p. It also uses the NTSC aspects and settings.

It sounds like your cable box is outputing everything at 720p or 1080i.

Bronze Member
Username: Matman

Post Number: 20
Viewing Distance!
Hi Brett,
I'm happy to report that you have no dilemma with viewing distance. I sit about 8 feet away. That was definitely too close for the 50" Sony Wega that I tried prior to the D-ILA. Fortunately, the D-ILA technology has much less distance between the pixels, so it doesn't dissolve into dots until you get your face right up in the screen. You can sit closer to the set than an ordinary HD-TV and it still looks great!
Yours,
Matt

Bronze Member
Username: Dan_furlong

Dallas, Texas USA

I just noticed last night that the picture is crooked. it looks like it may be about 3 pixels off. Is there any adjustment for that or is the chip mounted slightly sideways inside?

Username: Hawkwind

Post Number: 3
Francis, go to this page, http://www.scientificatlanta.com/consumers_new/CableBoxes/3250hd.htm It will help you with your issues. I have a box by S/A There are buttons for setup on it. Please read the link I'm sending.

Silver Member
Username: Kid_red

Post Number: 140
Mr Lynch-others, I have a few questions I'd like your observations on.

1) Banding? How bad is it on everyone's set? I see it quite clearly quite often and wonder if it's a normal product of the set.

2) It's only been a week, but the past 2 days I've seen a weird occurrence. Best way to describe it is interlaced scan lines that trail a moving object in the foreground against a moving background. It's like the interlacing flakes out for a sec. This has happened on DVD (unconverted to 1080i) and on HD (unconverted to 1080i)

So I don't know if the board is having a 1080i processing problem or what. It doesn't happen often, maybe 5 times on Saturday and 3 times Sunday. It's only been a week, so I have 3 weeks to decide on returning it.

Pammie
Unregistered guest
Mr. Lynch -
In reading your last post to Francis you mention that you have a Motorolo cable box and you can adjust it for output. We just hooked up to digital cable on Saturday. The analog stations are awful. The adjustment that you spoke of for the ratio's-this would help that? I didn't receive any information with our cable boxes. How do I make adjustments?
We've had our JVC 525 for two weeks now. It's a September production-so far so good!
One thing that I saw happening yesterday though was, a strip the whole way across the screen made up of squares up and down. Kinda like the picture didn't put itself together in that section. Would this be a problem with the tv or with the cable?

Bronze Member
Username: Adventdude

Post Number: 21
Subject: Upconvert in cable box (SA 4200HD)?

Greetings,

Still waiting for JVC to service my screen. In the interim, I was thinking more about something I read a while back (probably on this forum) about the D-ILA sets automatically performing conversion on any interlaced signal to the corresponding progressive-scan mode (480i-to-480p/1080i-to-720p). Assuming my memory is correct, I'm wondering if it would be better to set my Scientific Atlanta 4200HD (http://www.scientificatlanta.com/consumers_new/CableBoxes/4200hd.htm) to "Upconvert 2" mode (so it does the conversion and the set only receives PS signal on its input) or "Pass-Through" (so the TV performs any necessary conversion). I originally started with "Upconvert 2" and decided to switch it to "Pass-Through" just a few days ago. (Haven't had time to really get an idea if I see any improvement one way or the other.)

Also, if my memory is correct and the D-ILA sets always convert 480i to 480p automatically, it occurred to me that one may not really need a progressive-scan player to achieve the same results (especially since it seems as though the "Natural Cinema" feature may be akin to "3:2 pulldown").

Any thoughts?

Thanks and take care,

Alan

Bronze Member
Username: Americasteam

It converts everything to 720p.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Pixelization on Blacks
Mr. Lynch has said: "Macroblocking and pixelation is definitely a source issue. The Olympics in HD looked very bad on EVERY set I watched. The pixelation and image break up was horrible."
As usual, our resident expert is correct! To eliminate all variables, I took my DVD player and HDMI cable to Best Buy to try them out with another D-ILA. To my surprise, my former D-ILA set was on display, so I got to try the same system that worked before - and guess what: pixelization on black! The DVD player had gone on the fritz.
I was still within the 30 day window, so I returned the DVD player. The salesperson told me that this model (the Sony DVP NS975V) sometimes has problems after about a month. This was disappointing because I tried several DVD players and thought this one produced by far the best image. I exchanged the player for the new Panasonic, but was disappointed with the results. (Blacks pixelate even more with this model.) Today, I returned it and ordered another DVP NS975V. It's a new model, but - when it's working - the results are far superior to the other models I've tried (the Toshiba, the Panasonic DVDS97S).
Yours,
Matt

Silver Member

Post Number: 142
Hey, I said macroblocking was source related too!

So no one has seen my interlaced scan line issue? I wonder if I should return the set then.

Username: Raedavey

Post Number: 2
After being unable to resolve my flickering issue I called up JVC.

I was unable to get any help with it- as a matter of fact the customer service was the worst I have ever encountered anywhere.

I was pretty much told that if I was watching something that was not HD my picture quality will not be perfect. While I understand that, I still want to be able to use the tv to watch something other then the 11 HD stations currently available in my area without being driven to distraction by flickering. The customer service rep would not answer whether the problem was with the tv or not. Was not able to advise me on how to minimize the flickering. Was totally unhelpful.

I'm going to return the tv as soon as I can and steering clear of JVC in the future. I make it a point to never deal with a company that can't provide customer service.

Bronze Member
Username: Rlschneck

Post Number: 90
Rae, sorry to hear that you don't like the TV. I've also had problems with my TV, but I've found JVC's customer service to be very attentive. If you want, I can put you in touch with the guy that I'm dealing with (send me an email if you're interested ryan.schneck@gmail.com)

As for the flickering... I've seen it too. In fact I was just about to post my thoughts and concerns about the HD reception that I experienced during the Superbowl. On the whole, I thought that the picture looked great. But, I did see a lot of flickering on anything that included very small detail. That is, I saw a lot of flicker on the playing field whenever they zoomed close enough to actually see the individual blades of grass, and I also saw a lot of flicker whenever they panned out to see the entire crowd (instead of lots of little grass blades, it was lots of little people).

I was wondering if anyone else noticed the same phenomenon? If so, then I would guess that it was the source (cable). Otherwise, I'm thinking that perhaps I have the contrast (picture) set too high. I remember seeing on the Digital Video Essentials (DVE) disc that if you turn the contrast (picture) setting too high, you may experience some flicker. What do you guys think?

Oh, and by the way, thanks to everyone who took part in the "pixelated blacks" conversation. If there is anyone out there who has a DVD player that seems to work well to get rid of this issue, please let us know. I have the Denon 1910, and I do see this problem, but I was able to minimize by turning down the brightness. It's a compromise that I was hoping I could avoid, but it looks okay for now.

Lastly, I would also like to echo Dan Furlong's question about crooked pictures. Is there a setting that can be adjusted? I asked the JVC guy that I'm working with, and he told me to put some downward pressure on the top two corners of the display. No kidding! I tried it, and it will shift the picture, but in my experience, it shifted right back. Oh well, I have a technician coming sometime this week, and he should be able to fix it.

Thanks & Regards,
Ryan

Username: Fourbyracer

Cathedral City, CA United States

I too see the pixelization from DVD's thru HDMI. I have the LG DVB418 upconvert player. Turning down the brightness fixed mine 90%.

Username: Darthgable

Flickering:
I saw it during the Super Bowl broadcast but it was only when they broadcast the overhead shot from the camera hanging over the field. I assume it is dependent on the camera used and/or the source. The main camera view was clear and crisp with no flicker and the pylon camera sucked because it wasn't HD.

Black Pixelation via DVD:
All upconverting DVD players with the Faroudja Genesis deinterlacing chip will exhibit black pixelation to some degree. The Denon1910, LG418, Samsung941, Toshiba592, and PanasonicS97 all have the Faroudja chip.

The only players without this type of deinterlacing chip are the Samsung841 (Black crush) and the Sony975.

I have a 61Z585 and input the player via HDMI. I had the Toshiba592 (black pixelation/macroblocking) and the Samsung841(Too dark/black crush). I just picked up the Sony975 and haven't had a single instance of black pixelation. So far I've watched 3 DVDs and it is playing flawlessly so far. I think the 975 is a keeper.

My JVC never looked so good.

Silver Member

Post Number: 143
I have the Zenith 318 and there is no pixilation at all and no macroblocking (which the Zenith did have with my older CRT).

As for the SB, I did not see any flickering, but I did see a shimmering effect against the blades of grass and I think that's a byproduct of the camera they used, looked like a lot of contrast or edge enhancement and the type of movement the camera made. I haven't seen that before, or since. So unless you see it often, I would not be too concerned.

So no one has commented on my interlaced scan line phenomenon, does that mean no one has seen this?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 91
Thanks Darth Gable... very informative. I also thought that the HD for the superbowl looked excellent. The flickering was only slightly annoying... I still had an ear-to-ear grin on my face as I watched the game because it looked so good!

The Sony975, huh? I may have to check that out. Since you seem to know a lot about DVD players, I have a question for you. I was under the impression that the Faroudja chip IS the decoder that does the upconverting? From what you are telling me, it sounds like the Faroudja chip only does the deinterlacing? What does the upconverting then? Some proprietary proccessor that is specific to each model? I'm afraid I don't fully understand this issue, and as such, I purposely went with a DVD player that had the Faroudja chip because I had heard good things about it. Please educate me, if you wouldn't mind?

Thanks Again,
Ryan

Username: Larryc

Gahanna, OH United States

Post Number: 1
I have a Samsung 941 connected to my 52Z575 via HDMI. I've had the chance to watch only about five DVDs since I got the TV the first week of January, but I haven't noticed any pixelation or black crush of any sort so far. I'm not the most critical of viewers, but I certainly haven't noticed any obvious problems.

As to the interlaced scan line problem, the only thing I've seen like that was the occasional line of solid color blocks that looked like it was caused by a weak signal from my cable provider. These picture breakups don't last for more than a second or so, and seem to occur in random areas of the picture. This happened several times during the Super Bowl, maybe because everybody in my neighborhood was tuned to the same HD channel <g>.

--Larry

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
Something that I've observed that I think the TV gets blamed for and isn't the TV's fault is lousy cameras at live sporting events. Sometimes even when I'm watching an HD broadcast, they will switch to an angle (i.e. camera) that isn't the same quality as the rest of the broadcast.

Let's all remember that the TV can only perform as well as the signal that it receives. Rae, I think that that is what you are experiencing, a lousy source (signal). You can prove that by looking at a quality source like a top-notch DVD player. BTW, I have the Tosh 5970 and have not experienced any of the black issues mentioned in this thread.

Moral of the story....don't always blame the TV, look at the source first.

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
Something that I've observed that I think the TV gets blamed for and isn't the TV's fault is lousy cameras at live sporting events. Sometimes even when I'm watching an HD broadcast, they will switch to an angle (i.e. camera) that isn't the same quality as the rest of the broadcast.

Let's all remember that the TV can only perform as well as the signal that it receives. Rae, I think that that is what you are experiencing, a lousy source (signal). You can prove that by looking at a quality source like a top-notch DVD player. BTW, I have the Tosh 5970 and have not experienced any of the black issues mentioned in this thread.

Moral of the story....don't always blame the TV, look at the source first.

Bronze Member

Dallas, Texas USA

Mr. Lynch.
Can the RGB be adjusted In conjunction with using the DVE disk? If so, how?

Bronze Member

Vista1, Ca Usa

Post Number: 14
Checked out some reviews on Sony 975 DVD. For what it's worth, here's a few links I found:

http://reviews.designtechnica.com/review1893.html

http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_DVP_NS975V/4505-6463_7-30788102.html?subj=Sony+DVP- NS975V&part=rss

http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_DVP_NS975V/4505-6473_7-30788102-2.html?tag=tab

http://www.shopping.com/xPR-Sony_DVP_NS975V

http://www.highdefforum.com/archive/index.php/t-2824.html

http://www.pricegrabber.com/rating_getprodrev.php/product_id=4286306/id_type=M/u t=446b76376a99a5ba

Mr Sparks

Silver Member

Post Number: 144
Now, I did see flickering last night. It was on the logo of a movie studio before the beginning on Matrix 3. A 'V' I think, purple, moving and spinning from the foreground to the background flickered in one spot the entire movement. The 'V' had a horizontal line pattern and I think that was causing the flicker. I think flicker and the shimmering effect are the same thing. I don't think it's a fixable flaw, but more of a by product of the tighter pixel spacing on the screen?

Silver Member

Post Number: 145
Anyone know how to decipher the service manual? I did the self check and the Sync M and S (?) were both NG. And I had RGB9 NG. I wonder if the sync issues is related to my scan line issue? How do I fix the issues? Or if this can't be fixed, and the sync error is the scan line issue I guess I have confirmation there is a problem and should return the set.

How do you fix NG issues?

Silver Member

Post Number: 146
A little update on the ND filter mod. A guy at AVS did it with a .3 filter and he loves the results. However, he thinks a .2 filter would be better. So I'm going try and get one and do it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 92
Rick, would you mind explaining that in layman's terms? Is it a hard modification, i.e. does it require soldering?

Thanks,
Ryan

Bronze Member

Post Number: 93
So, about the DVD player issue.

It sounds like Darth Gable and Mr. Sparks like the Sony 975. And it sounds like tvshopper has had good results with the Toshiba 5970.

Anyone else want to chime in?
Mr. Lynch, you said that ANG stuck with the Sony DVPNS975V, is that the same as the Sony 975 that others are talking about? And which Toshiba do you have, the 5970?

Thanks Everyone!
Ryan

Silver Member

Post Number: 147
I'll chime in for the Zenith 318. I like the Panny S97 but was told it wouldn't be much difference over my Zenith. So I'll stay with this for a while seeing how HD DVD/Blue Ray is right around the corner.

Username: Larryc

Gahanna, OH United States

As I mentioned in a previous post, I'm having great results with my Samsung 941 via HDMI.

--Larry

Silver Member

Post Number: 148
Ryan- You need a neutral density (ND) gel filter at either .3 or .2. Here's the guy's post to better explain-

"Ok, well I finally tried the .3 ND filter. Being the lazy type, and not wanting to take the entire TV back off, I decided that I would place the filter in front of the lamp. I cut the filter, to match the size of the lamp housing. The ND filter is about a 1/4" away from the front of the lamp currently, with the lamp housing holding the filter in place. Maybe that will shorten its life. Maybe not though, especially since the filter is right in the path of cooling air. If longevity proves to be a problem, then perhaps a glass lens would be more appropriate. Also, possibly placing the filter closer to the prism would solve any heat issues. There is room in there. Its just tight.

I've had the filter setup this way for probably 12 hours of viewing. Haven't noticed any smells (burning), or any picture deterioration. I will check on the filter after another week.

My thoughts on the picture after the .3 ND filter was installed. Wow, the picture is much darker. I've had to increase the brightness up near +10 (used to be near -10). Contrast remained around +20 or so. Star Wars looks so much better, the black uniforms in JAG HD are much nicer. Dark scenes are much richer.

Blacks are black, space scenes are beautiful, dark scenes do look much improved. If you didn't know this was LCoS, you'd think it was CRT, that's how much it reminds me of my CRT Sony XBR direct-view.

However, bright sunlit scenes can look a bit dim. I realize that my eyes are readjusting to the much dimmer picture.

In my opinion, I feel that unless you do all your viewing in the dark, you are MUCH better off using a .2 ND filter, which transmits 63% of the light. .3ND only transmits 50%.

.1 ND 80%
.2 ND 63%
.3 ND 50%

I think the .2ND filter would add a bit of brightness that I think would solve the dimness I'm seeing in sunlit scenes. Turning up the brightness seemed to help a bit with that as well. You probably wouldn't lose too much black by increasing light by 13%.

Regardless, its pretty incredible that you can lose 50% of your light output, and still have a viewable picture. "

Bronze Member
Username: Condor

Post Number: 68
Rick, you said:
My thoughts on the picture after the .3 ND filter was installed. Wow, the picture is much darker. I've had to increase the brightness up near +10 (used to be near -10). Contrast remained around +20 or so. Star Wars looks so much better, the black uniforms in JAG HD are much nicer. Dark scenes are much richer. <<<<<

This is very interesting as both Mr. Lynch and I have set up our brightness to +10 to +13 according to Avia/DVE set up disks in order to improve the contrast on blacks.

All this messing around with the innards! I just sit 10 feet back and enjoy the heck out of this set!

Whatever turns your crank!

Best
Jim

Username: Json717

I have a question regarding the warning inside the owner's manual for screen burn-in effect. I have had the TV for about a month now and I love it.

However, I would say that I watch a significant amount of standard non-HD programming (about 75% of time) with the black bars on either side of the image. The other options with the aspect ratio zooms the standard picture and cut it off so I been using the full option which gives me the full screen with HD and black bars with standard programs. I have my satellite receiver always set to HD 720p resolution.

I am a bit concern that the black bars when watching standard programs can leave a ghosting image on my TV screen. During the day, my wife tends to leave the TV on for a long time and most of the programming she watches are SD and not HD.
Is there anything I can do so that I protect my TV from getting this ghosting effect other than changing the aspect ratio when watching SD? As I mentioned above I do not like the fact that the image gets cut off but if this is the only option then I will change the ratio. Does frequent channel changing help eliminate the ghosting/burn-in effect? Any thoughts/insights would be appreciated.

Bronze Member
Username: Condor

Post Number: 69
NO BURN IN ON D-ILA.

That JVC comment was for another set, they didn't remove it on the D-ILA manual

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
The Sony DVPNS975V has excellent results with my D-ILA. Contrast is good, blacks don't pixelate, and color is excellent. Naturally, there is some range in quality on various DVD's, but the Sony is impressive. DVD's that I thought were a lost cause with my previous player look alright with this one, and ones that looked good before knock my socks off!
I've also checked out the Panny S97 and the Toshiba. While not bad, both were markedly inferior to the Sony. (The Panny pixelates on blacks.)
After about 3 weeks, my Sony began to have some problems. On the HDMI cable, audio would hiss, and the blacks started to break up. I checked each component out with different equipment and determined that this problem was indeed the DVD player. The store told me that sometimes the Sony seizes up after about a month and people can't get their DVD's out. That's not encouraging, but the results when it was working were so terrific that I took home another one anyway. This one looks great, too - so far!
Yours,
Matt

Username: N7tb

I read the press releases for the new D-ILA HDTV's with the integrated tuners. Specifically the HD 61Z886/786 due out next month. Does anyone know what the technical differences these TV's have compared to the current JVC 61 inch HDTVs?

I would assume that they may have some different interfaces, but my main interest is in the light engine and other image processing software.

I have been reading this thread for months and have run hot and cold about when to by a JVC. I would see no reason to wait for the new TV's if it is only inputs and integrated tuner since I use Comcast cable.

Can any of you give me some guidance in this regard?

Thanks,

Terry

Silver Member

Post Number: 149
Jim-
I think you misread the post. The guy (not me) installed a neutral density filter. That made the blacks deeper, closer to CRT level. That also darkened whites slightly. He suggested a .2 filter instead or turning up brightness to 14. Now, turning up brightness does not improve contrast, it makes the whites, whiter. I have my brightness at 3, if I go any higher, my blacks turn to light grey. So either your set is different, or you like a different look. For me, I want deeper blacks and this set has the ample brightness to compensate nicely to achieve that goal.

Username: Fourbyracer

Cathedral City, CA United States

DVD players: Good results with my LG DVB418 via HDMI. It too has the famed black pixelization but as soon as I turned down my brightness to -6, the pixelization was almost gone. I simply have 1 of the 4 modes available (Theater, Game, etc) set to -6 and I am good to go. Also has a memory stick reader built in--thought that was cool, not sure if the others do.

Unregistered guest
Set Won't Power On.....perhaps someone can offer some advice as to what might be wrong with my set (52Z575)

Went to turn it on this morning and as the set is powering up, there is a buzzing sound that cycles on and off every 6 seconds.....6 seconds of buzzing , 6 seconds of silence, 6 seconds of buzzing, etc......... until approx 30 seconds and then everything stops and the "power" & "lamp" lights/leds flash quickly. Fan is running fine throughout this period.

I try to turn the set off and the power button simply tries to restart again for another 30 seconds. The only way to stop the flashing lights is to unplug the cord.

Set was delivered around Thanksgiving 2004....used maybe 2-3 hrs per day.

Is this the indicator that the bulb has failed or is there something else going on? PC Richards is sending their subcontract service guys tomorrow. Steve

Silver Member

Post Number: 150
sorry to hear that. I am going to return my set due to the scan line issue I had. No one commented on it, so I assume it's something flaky. So, it's only been two weeks, I'll return it for a new one. Hopefully, a Dec build.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 94
I love this forum!

So, thanks to all of the helpful feedback surrounding the pixelated blacks and DVD players, I'm pretty sure I'm going to swap out my Denon for the Sony975. Thank you to everyone here for all of the advice.

Silver Member

Post Number: 151
sorry to hear that. I am going to return my set due to the scan line issue I had. No one commented on it, so I assume it's something flaky. So, it's only been two weeks, I'll return it for a new one. Hopefully, a Dec build.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
This is what I've been able to garner from the press release on the new models:

Looks like addition of the ATSC tuner and possibly better color management are the big changes to the 52". So do I wait 'til July for the new 52" or jump on the deals (hard to beat $2,395 shipped!) for the current model. I'm leaning toward just going for the current one, as I suspect the newer models will be at least $1000 more.

Anyone know what the PC Inputs are on the new models, a separate DVI-D port?

Original Z5-series sets:

* D.I.S.T. 720p(Digital Image Scaling Technology) (not sure which generation this is)

* Digital 4 Point Color Management

New JVC sets:

* All JVC 720p HD-ILA sets feature the company's fourth generation Digital Image Scaling Technology (D.I.S.T.) and GENESSA, a 32-bit CPU dedicated to controlling picture refinement.

* Another exclusive is JVC's Five-Point Color Management, a new generation of this technology that samples red, green, blue, yellow and flesh tones and adjusts each separately to delivers vivid color reproduction.

* Performance is further enhanced through the use of HD DSD (Digital Super Detail) edge enhancement, which is active on still, fast and slow motion areas of the picture for crisp, defined edges. (Is this on the current models?)

* The first new sets to be available will be 720p models: the HD-52G886 (52 inches), HD-56G886 (56 inches), HD-61Z886 (61 inches) and the HD-70G886 (70 inches), all with silver cabinets. Black cabinet versions of the 52-, 56- and 61-inch models will also be available (models HD-52G786, HD-56G786 and HD-61Z786, respectively). All are ATSC tuner/CableCARD-equipped, feature PC inputs, and dual IEEE 1394 inputs. The HD-70G886 adds a memory card slot for convenient direct playback of still images and video from the full array of flash memory cards.

* 61-inch HD-61FH96 and 70-inch HD-70FH96, which offer resolution of 1080p using a 1920 x 1080 (over 2 million pixels x 3 panels), 0.7-inch D-ILA device. Both will offer dual HDMI inputs, and the 70-inch model will also include a memory card slot.

* Most new HD-ILA sets feature a new cabinet design with a thinner frame and a slimmer speaker area across the bottom. JVC will also offer a new stand that integrates with any of the new HD-ILA sets to create a clean, single-piece appearance.

Availability for JVC's HD-ILA televisions is as follows:

Model Available
HD-70G886 March
HD-61Z886/786 March
HD-56G886/786 June
HD-52G886/786 July
HD-70FH96 Fall
HD-61FH96 Fall

Images of the new sets:
http://www.jvc.com/press/press.jsp?item=445&image=true

Full press-release:
http://www.jvc.com/press/press.jsp?item=445

Silver Member

Post Number: 152
Brett- It's a very tempting dilemma. Do you wait 6 months and possibly pay more for a possible improvement in picture quality or do you get the set now that you like at a good price? Think of it this way, will the improvements be extensive? Will there be any noticeable improvement at all? Will the set be more expensive? Will the change be like the Sammy update where a lot of people preferred the older set's picture?

So you'd have 6 months to wait and decide if it's worth the wait and extra cost. Or you can watch the tv now and live with it if the newer sets offer more and a better picture.

Bronze Member

Dallas, Texas USA

Ultgar
Your bulb has burnt out. Call JVC to have it replaced under warranty

Anonymous

I'd wait and take a look at the new 61" due out in March, and compare it to the current 61" sets, then we'll have an idea of what the newer 52" will be like. Could be as soon as 3 weeks for the new 61, but who knows....

Username: Fc7

Mr. Lynch

For S/A 3250HD box... I have tried the upcovert 1 , upconvert2, passthrough and fixed.

It seems upconvert 2 yields better picture.

rgds,

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
JVC Service & Repair in Seattle
At the request of folks who answered the phone at JVC Service & Repair, I've now written directly to the JVC service technician that repairs D-ILA's here in Seattle 4 times. I've
described the problems, sent the pictures (twice), sent model and purchase info, and sent my additional contact info. I have yet to have him give me any idea if the smudges and dim spots I'm experiencing can be repaired, or schedule a service appt (although he has said that this is necessary).
In a week I'll be at the end of my 30 days. How does this sound to you? I'm not really impressed with JVC customer service.
Yours,
Matt

Bronze Member

Post Number: 95
Francis C, have you been able to read any SA manuals that tell you exactly what these methods actually do?

I also have a SA box--the SA8300HD, and for now, I have just left it on pass-through on the advice of my cable company (but they rarely know what they're talking about).

Anyway, I have swapped out my Denon DVD player for the Sony975, and I like it so far. It has definitely remedied the black pixelation problem, and picture looks pretty darn good too. However, I do have a concern that I would love to have some feedback on. If ever I turn on the DVD player and put in a disc, then switch the TV to digital-in, the TV does not register any signal, but if I make sure to switch the TV to digital-in FIRST, then turn on the DVD player and put in a disc, then it works just fine. Anyone out there with the Sony975 who has experienced the same phenomenon? Do you think it is the TV or the DVD player that is being finicky? I appreciate any insight, because I only have 14 days to exchange this DVD player.

Thanks,
Ryan

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 474
I just got home from vacation (snowboarding @ Big Mountain), and the first thing my house-sitter buddy says is "hey, I think there is something wrong with your TV".

When I arrive home I turn on the TV and I get a "squeal" and both lights flash rapidly. I pulled the bulb and it was fryed. I called the nearest Service center in Kent, Wa. (Seattle location sucks) and he said that the squeeling was due to a bad lamp regulator board, and that's what fried the lamp. He said that if I put my spare bulb in it, that one will blow too. Since it is all under warranty, they are ordering a new lamp board and bulb on Monday, and will be out Wednesday to fix the set. Last time I leave a friend with my TV :-)

Matt-

Did you try contacting
ALL AREA SERVICE
25628 PACIFIC HWY S
KENT, WA 98032
(253) 945-6350

The guy has worked on the JVC before, and he is very helpful. I didn't care the the Seattle people.

DVD players-

I've had good results with my Tosh 5970. It isn't the greatest thing out there, but the only other model I really like is the Sony 975. The Sony is 2x more expensive, and I don't seem to have an issue with the black levels of the Toshiba.

RGB adjustments w/DVE-

DVE has a black and white grid type test pattern with circles and has marks all over it called "Video wall convergence & geometry". It is located at Title 17, chapter 21.

WHen you have this displayed on your screen, go into the service menu and adjust your screen position, and check for any big covergence problems. You should see white lines with 1 pixel wide of green, and 1 pixel wide of red on each side of the white lines. The colors should only be visible when you are close to the screen.

DVE has some explainations of the test patterns here:
http://www.videoessentials.com/VEtestpat.php

It is very helpful.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Digital Input Hardware Problem?
Pixelation on Blacks?
Hi Ryan,
Sounds to me like the HDMI hardware in the TV isn't doing the handshake with the DVD player. If you can only get it to recognize the signal when you're on HDMI first, I think the problem might be with the TV rather than the DVD player. I followed your sequence, and my system doesn't have this problem.
I AM still having some trouble with pixelation of blacks, however, although with the Sony 975 the situation is much better than with the Panny or my previous Sony model (eight years old). On movies with lots of black (Harry Potter 3, even LOTR 2) I have some pixelation on the Cinema 1 or 2 settings, but on Standard or Dynamic, it disappears. I realize that this is hiding the problem by pulling down the black level (creating "black crush"), but these films seem to work fine this way. A DVD player without these various settings would probably have me adjusting and readjusting the TV constantly. I'm curious how your set is performing with the Sony 975, because I know that my previous Z575 very rarely had any pixelation with the same model DVD player.
Yours,
Matt

Bronze Member

Vista1, Ca Usa

Post Number: 17
My JVC is almost here. I should have it sometime this week.

With all the talk about upconverting DVD's, I'm now curious about the following -

If the JVC upconverts everything to 720p, why buy an upconverting DVD player?
Does the upconverting DVD do a better job than the JVC?
Does the upconverting DVD look better than a 480p DVD player?

Mr Sparks

Bronze Member

Vista1, Ca Usa

Post Number: 19
Got a call that my JVC is arriving on Monday.

The lady said JVC recommends not plugging it in for 4 hours after delivery. I really want to try it out before the delivery guys leave. If it's defection, I'll have them take it back. Only reason I can think not to plug it in would be cold. If that is the case, I'm in California, it's warm here.
What is the reason for not plugging in a newly deliveried JVC for 4 hours?

Silver Member

Post Number: 153
I had mine on immediately, I want to make sure it works before the guys get in the truck and leave. Oh, and I left it on for 6 hours straight, the picture seemed to improve afterwards. Seems it needs to break in.

So Mr Lynch, looking forward to your service manual walk thru :-)

Bronze Member

Vista1, Ca Usa

Thanks Rick.

Interesting that electronic equipment would need break-in. I've heard it mentioned on this thread before. Just out of curiousity, I wonder what the dynamics of the break-in is.

Mr Sparks

Ben Edmore
Unregistered guest
Hi, Everyone,
I found this forum yesterday, lots of info + insights.
I just got into the market for a new tv 50"-65"screen.
I have a Hitachi 61SDXO1B crt type 61" tv in my living room. It has a great pic with my dvd player
and good with standard cable.
I just remodled my family room and started looking for a tv for it last week.
Boy have I been out of the electronics loop!!!
DLP,LCD,LCOS,D-ILA, and CRT. I thought I was going to just run out and get a big screen and be eating popcorn that evening. WRONG!
After looking at a few TV's and researching the types on the net I had decided the JVC D-ILA was the way to go.(DLP-rainbow, I can't see BUT wife, kids,guest may or rotating wheel motor to go out.
LCD-fade, poor-contrast. CRT-old teck I don't think burn-in an issue with crt except computer.
Plasma- burn-in.)
So I thought D-ILA was the way to go until I found this thread.It seems many have had trouble with this TV. Have to add filters,replace screens
exchange 2-3 times.
All that said are most of you glad you went with the JVC or would you go with something else if you could do over?

Although I like compact cabinets, space and weight is not a factor. The high-end CRT's seem to be a bargin compaired to what I paid for my Hitachi a few years back.
With all that new tech. is CRT still the best pic.?
thanks Ben

Bronze Member

Post Number: 96
So, today's the day, Mr. Sparks? I'm crossing my fingers for you that you get a good set! Mine was defective (vertical lines on the screen), but I'm getting another one delivered on Saturday. Even with the defect, I think the TV looks really great, so congrats.

Matt, thanks for the feedback, I have not tried cinema 1 or 2 as of yet. But, I agree that "standard" looks really nice, but with a hint of "black crush." It is only really noticable on real dark scenes, but even there it is tolerable and only something that a videophile would pick up on. By the way, I sent you a private message if you care to respond.

Mr. Lynch, nice to have you back from vacation. I hope that you had a good time! Sorry to hear about the set, however, hope you get it fixed soon. Thanks for your opinion on the DVD players, I just got the Sony 975 and I like it a lot, except for the minor problem that I'm having (see my last post). I wonder: do you see any "black crush" with your Toshiba 5970? If not, then you may actually have stumbled onto the best DVD player for this TV. I'm on my second DVD player, and from reading this forum, it seems that anyone who is very concerned about movie-watching has also been through three or four DVD players to get one that they like. I may wind up swapping again to get the Tosh if my problems continue (I don't mind saving a little bit of money either!).

Thanks,
Ryan

Bronze Member

Post Number: 97
Ben,

It's a good TV for the price. Although, you definitely do have to spring for the extended warranty.

The bottom line is: if you are lucky enough to get a good one, then the TV looks fantastic. But, as you've noticed, many have problems. My own had vertical lines on the screen, and I'm getting another one delivered this weekend. I'm determined to stick with this TV. I watched the superbowl on it (in HD), and aside from the defect, it looked fantastic. That said, it is definitely a pain to have to worry about the TV being defective. I thought the day my home theater was completed would be a happy day, but instead it was a bit stressful. But it is new technology, perhaps wait for JVC's next generation of these D-ILA TV's (which, by the way, are LCOS TV's; D-ILA is just JVC's name for it). They will be out this spring.

Hope that helps... either way, you've come to the right place to help you make up your mind. The people on this forum are very helpful and knowledgeable.

Ryan

Bronze Member

Vista1, Ca Usa

Ben - a lot of what you read on this thread is guys noodling with their sets. Many of the problems you read here are minor little things that your average TV watcher would never notice.

In other TV threads i read many posts of dead TV's, audio and game lag, etc. Granted the JVC has it share of problems, but this is an immature technology at the moment. All the sets have problems, except the good old CRT. I also have a 200 pound 34" CRT beast. IMO, CRT is among the best, but I like the big screen even better.

With all this in mind, I bought from costco, knowing if I have any problems with the JVC, I can just bring it back.

Ryan - thanks for the encouragement!

Mr Sparks

Username: N7tb

Post Number: 4
Wait or Buy!!!

I have the classic dilemma. Do I buy the 61" JVC D-ILA or wait for who knows how long for the "March" availability of the new sets.

I would love to talk to someone at JVC about their thoughts on the differences between the new and old sets as well as firm ship dates for the new models. Anyone have a clue how to get that information?

I will probably buy the existing model unless there is something really compelling to wait.

The two issues that you folks could help me with from a technical standpoint is convergence and slight green cast. I believe that the convergence can be adjusted from the service menu, is that correct? I read a review about the inability to adjust something about the green color. I am no videophile, so I just want a great picture. I am not concerned about picky things, so I don't want to wait for the next models if these are no problems or adjustable with the current 61 in. D-ila sets.

Thanks,

Terry

Bronze Member
Username: Adventdude

Greetings,

I just wanted to pass on something I heard directly from the JVC field engineer who worked on my (second) 52Z575 recently. After asking him a question regarding the (R/G/B) drive settings in the service menu, he seemed a bit surprised--and then went on to relate a story where a customer's warranty was voided due to unauthorized adjustments being made (in the service menu). Supposedly this customer changed parameters so the results were out of spec and this led to the need for his/her light engine to be replaced.

The bottom line is that I got the distinct impression that JVC considers unauthorized access to the service menu as at least a potential excuse for warranty nullification. Theoretically, I suppose that the nature of the adjustments being made could really be the determining factor, but thought I'd pass along what I heard. (Luckily, in my case, I could honestly say that I had never even accessed the service menu before, much less changed anything.)

Has anyone heard something to the contrary? I don't recall any disclaimers of this type being present in the service manual, but I never really looked. Also, if the service manual is available to the general public (for sale or otherwise), I'm wondering if there may be an issue around the clarity of this potential issue.

Take care,

Alan

Bronze Member

Yesterday I finally ordered my 52Z575 from TVAuthority.com ($2395 shipped). They said they'd put a note requesting the latest possible build. Hopefully I won't have any problems (difficult to type with fingers crossed. ;-) ) If all goes well, it should be here by the end of the week.
I'll post a message with my first impressions once I give it a trial run.

Like several others, I considered waiting for the new sets, but unfortunately the new 52" doesn't come out until July (if it stays on schedule). So I just went for the current model and figured I'd save myself a $1000. That $1000 will go toward cables, HTPC etc. I also plan on getting the 5-year extended Warranty through Visa for $267, for the peace of mind and the possibility of free bulb exchanges.

Thanks everyone on this forum, especially Mr. Lynch for all of your info and input, I can't wait to get this thing!

Username: Soitgos

Post Number: 8
Well I finally took the plunge. Picked up the 52Z585 last week and have it up and running (Dec. build). Mr. Lynch I know that you have posted this before and said that when you are back from vacation that you will update this forum with your settings again. Thanks for all the information that you have shared with this forum.
I have been looking for a good price on the Direct TV TIVO HR10-250 if anyone knows of a good source I would appreciate it if you could post it here. The best I have seen so far is $850 not counting the $250 instant savings that can be had from Direct TV for being a long time customer. This forum has been great reading and information and was a major factor in my decision to purchase the JVC. Thanks for all the advice.
Jim

Username: Dawny99

Post Number: 7
Ben: We got our tv in October and it was a Summer Build (July or August). The Cablevision guy hooked it up and we have not had ANY problems. I'm the average viewer and my husband has a good eye. I was telling him to look for greens and dead pixels and he told me not to be paranoid. We have been enjoying the tv and the HD is terrific, especially the sports. The Grammy's were tremendous as well. We did purchase the swivel stand and the 5yr warrantee from our retailer as it is a new technology. No regrets and plenty of recommendations. Enjoy!!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Jim,

I am considering switching from cable to DirecTV w/ HD TiVo, but it concerns me that the HD TiVo and dish might only be good for another year or two when DirecTv launches their new satellites which use MPEG-4 compression and will require new customer equipment.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1748991,00.asp
http://www.tvpredictions.com/directvhdtv013105.html

I have seen several other stories about this on the web. Not sure if TiVo/DirecTV will offer some upgrade solution, which seems unlikely with the ending of their current contract at the end of 2007. http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4845988/

Just something to think about, considering the HD TiVo is almost $1000 (a little cheaper for you).

-Brett

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
JVC Service & Repair News Flash!
After two weeks of runaround from JVC Service & Repair in Seattle, I took Mr. Lynch's advice and called the JVC Service Center in nearby Kent. There I learned that only one service tech in the entire state of Washington has been trained to repair JVC's D-ILA TV's! (Hey: I thought Seattle was a high-tech area!)

I got the phone number for this qualified technician and spoke with him directly. His service region doesn't include Seattle, so - although my set is under warranty - to get him to work on my TV I will pay $100 for his time and transportation to and from Seattle. Even with this incentive, he's really doing this as a favor to me. (I guess people in Spokane are just plain out of luck.)

Anyway, as I'm still exploring extended warranty contracts, I'm wondering what luck most folks will have finding qualified service technicians. The JVC warranty is more expensive than others, but who knows who will work on my set if I go with a warranty from Repairmaster or Best Buy?
Yours,
Matt

Steve M
Unregistered guest
Does anyone have a reccomendation for ways to protect the JVC's screen from accidental damage, scratching, etc.

Unregistered guest
I bought a 52" D-ILA in October of 2004. The picture seems to have gotten darker over the past few days. Is that a sign of the bulb going out? If so, we watch TV about 3 1/2 Hrs./day and having a bulb go out in that period of time seems too quick. Is there a source for bulbs other than Best Buy?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 98
Matt Lawrence, (or any other Sony 975 owners)

Two quick questions for you:

1) Did you turn off the "Black level" setting for your Sony 975 DVD player, or did you leave it on? And, more importantly, do you understand what it does... I read the manual's description and I still don't really know what it does.

2) I have my Sony 975 set up as follows: connected to the TV via HDMI cable, and connected to my receiver via optical (toslink) cable. And what I've experienced is that the TV does not receive any audio signal. So, what I'm wondering is: does the DVD player purposely not put the audio out through the HDMI cable, that is, does the presence of the optical cable somehow over-ride the HDMI audio output? This scenario seems unlikely, so I'm guessing it's a problem with the TV's HDMI board, but I wanted to ask if you experienced anything similar?

p.s. I have tried both settings for the HDMI audio, i.e. PCM and AUTO, and no sound through the TV speakers. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Ryan

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
Ryan,

One of the problems I experienced with my TV was no audio through the HDMI port. Before you seek help through JVC, you need to make sure that you have Digital Audio selected from the TV's menu. You also should have PCM selected (I believe) on the DVD player. I would also unplug the optical link just to make sure there's no conflict there.

If, after doing all that, you don't have audio through the HDMI port, you have a bad board. They swapped mine out in about 10 minutes. In the mean time, you can use analog.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 99
Thanks tvshopper. I did not check the TV's menu thouroughly. I will have to look at that when I get home. If I select Digital Audio on the TV's menu does that mean that the TV will look for digital audio from all of my various sources, and if not, then what is the point of even having this setting in the TV's menu, because if it only sets audio for the HDMI port, then of course it would always be digital...

anyway, thanks for the info
ryan

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
Ryan,

From the manual about Digital Audio......

This feature is used if you have a DTV or HDMI
compatible component connected to your TV.

Press the MENU button

To DIGITAL-IN AUDIO

To select "ANALOG" or "DIGITAL"

Press the Menu button when finished

Notes:

• If your DTV or HDMI component is capable of digital audio and video, choose DIGITAL. If
your DTV or HDMI component is capable of analog audio and digital video, choose ANALOG.

• Refer to your DTV or HDMI component's instruction manual for more information.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 100
ahhh, i see. i suppose they leave you the analog option if your device is not capable of digital audio, so in effect you use the HDMI like it is DVI and route the audio to the RCA jacks and hopefully the audio will match up with the video somehow. my apologies for the diversion from more complex issues. thanks, tvshopper, for your kind help.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 475
Bob-

My Set seemed to be darker over the last month, then the bulb went out on Saturday. The repair guy comes tomorrow to replace the bulb and the lamp contol board. Over the phone he told me that sometimes the lamp control board on Micro Display sets (DLP/LCD/LCoS) will malfunction causing the lamp to receive to much voltage which leads to premature failure. Sometimes the lamp will dim before it goes out, other times it will just stop working. It is a major problem with Panasonic 43/50/60 inch LCD sets, but he has seen it with every brand.

If your bulb does go out, but the set is quiet when running, you need a new bulb. If it squeals when you try to power on, the control board is also bad.

Silver Member

Post Number: 101
RE: Service Menu Adjustments

As we all anxiously await Mr. Lynch's walk-thru of the service menu, I will offer my thoughts and experience as a prelude. As many of you out there have found out, interpreting the service manual is no easy task... some of it may as well be written in a different language. From the limited exploring that I have done I would offer the following advice (critiques, comments, and corrections are invited). The only adjustments that you should need to do are the convergence adjustments and a bit of fiddling with the Red, Green, and Blue drives.

1) Convergence. These adjustments are actually quite easy. Following this section of the service manual is really not that hard, so I recommend using those instructions. Start by accessing the service menu (sleep timer, then display and video status simultaneously on the remote) then press 9. This should bring up the convergence screen. Now use the direction-pad (vol+/-, chan+/-, enter) to adjust the picture that you see on the screen. Go through each color individually (R,G,B) and adjust the corresponding color's square up and down, left and right (don't be shy, crank it to see what happens when it is mis-aligned), until it is perfectly centered on itself (you will see what I mean when you play with it for a while). To see this you will probably want to go pretty close to the TV screen in order to get it exact--down to the pixel. Once you have done this for each individual color (R,G,B) then move on to adjust all colors simultaneously (I believe you press enter to cycle between the colors, someone correct me if I'm wrong). It should say "RGB" when you are on the option to adjust all three colors at the same time (this is essentially shifting the entire screen up, down, left, and right). This is where you are going to center your screen, so you will need a test screen that is designed for that purpose (these test screens can be found on either the DVE or Avia calibration disc). If you do not have one of these test screens, I would recommend leaving this setting alone unless your screen is noticably off-center.

2) RGB drives. Start by accessing the service menu (sleep timer, then display and video status simultaneously on the remote) then press 1 for adjustments. Now you must be careful not to disturb any of the other settings in this adjustment menu that you do not intend to adjust. If ever you suspect that you made a change that you did not intend just turn the TV off and the change will not be saved (and avoid pressing the mute button, because that acts as the "save changes" button). Use the directional pad (vol+/-, chan+/-) to navigate through and change the various settings. Use up and down to navigate through the settings and left and right to change a particular setting. When you are satisfied, press the mute button to save your changes. Like I said before, from my experience, the only settings that I recommend playing with are the R, G, and B drive--these are settings S030, S031, and S032, respectively (again, someone please correct me if I'm wrong). Here's where everything becomes subjective. I would suggest starting with all three drives at 128 (I think that number comes from the service manual if I'm not mistaken). There was someone on this forum that speculated that turning all three drives up would yield a more vivid picture, but I would caution you against that as I've heard that that strategy will significantly shorten the life of the TV. So, starting from 128's, put a gray-scale ramp test-pattern on the screen (if you do not have one of the calibration discs, use a scene from a movie that is black and white... I know there are some black and white scenes in Kill Bill Vol.1). I've found that a gray-scale pattern is the best for adjusting the drives, because some of the colors show up better in the light colors, and some show up better in the darker colors. For instance, too much blue is easier to see in the whites, too little blue is easier to see in the grays, etc. So, starting from 128's, put up your gray-scale and fixing one color at 128, lower and increase the other two to get the most neutral gray-scale possible. Record your resulting settings. Repeat this process, using each color as the fixed color and record your settings. What I did, was I repeated this entire process several times with different sources producing the gray-scale (xbox through component video, DVD player through HDMI, etc.) recording the results each time. Once I had a sufficient number of trials (this is up to you, I did four on each source) I looked at the ratios from each trial (R:G, R:B, G:B) and used the different values to make a compromise between trials as well as between sources. Personally, I placed more importance on the DVD player source, because I love movies, but that is up to you.

I hope that you find this useful. By the way, let's say that the most important source to me was television (cable), how would I calibrate for that if I cannot get it to display my test-patterns... any thoughts?

Ryan

Silver Member

Post Number: 154
Anyone else get the right side of their set cut off? I was watching CSI Miami on Fox and half of the 'X' in FOX was cut off. And when I measured SD black bars, the left side was shorter.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 477
Rick-

Did you try adjusting the Centering of your set in the Service menu? My screen was slightly low and to the right before I corrected it.

Only 1 more night to go without my TV. The new parts should be in tomorrow. I can't wait to start messing around with it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 102
Rick,

As Mr. Lynch has pointed out, you can re-center the screen using the service menu.

Follow the instructions for convergence in the service manual, or take a look at #1 of my previous post.

Ryan

Ben Edmore
Unregistered guest
Thanks for all the info everyone.
I think I will wait for the next generation due out in spring/summer. Maybe most of the bugs will be worked out! I will bring my old 25" Sharp console down from the bedroom. Its 19yrs old and never been serviced!!! I will have to wait a little longer to see Sponge Bob in HiDef. Oh well life goes on.

Ben

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Ryan,
I never received your message. Please try again.
Thanks!
Matt

Bronze Member
Username: Rex

Post Number: 17
I have a HD-52Z585, at the moment, very happy with the TV, however, I have a little problem that makes the set produce sound. I get much to loud music sound and very low people conversations. The music is way too loud , and the voice is too low. This accrues when watching TV in TV mode (no DVD) or HDMI. strictly listening through TIVO-DVR. Does any one have any Ideas.?

Klaus
Unregistered guest
Rex:
It sounds like you have the set using one of the Surround type modes. I have a Phillips set and one of its sound mode options makes the vocals very hard to discern

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
Rex,

The 585 has AHS, Smart Sound and BBE. I notice some distortion of the sound with different sources based on the settings. In the sound menu (Sound button on the remote) your choices for AHS are Movie, Music and Off. Try changing those settings. You will also want to experienment with the BBE and Smart Sound settings (On or Off).

Bronze Member

Vista1, Ca Usa

So I finally got my new 52" JVC delivered from Costco. It's got a 179 serial number, so it was built 12/2004. No sticker on upper left corner.

So you guys have heard enough review/opionions by now, right? Who needs another first impressions?

Anyway ...

Thanks to Mr Lynch, I had his settings to put in. I will do a DVE setup myself soon. I'd like to get the blacks a little blacker and the bright spots less bright. Color looks vivid to me.

I am trying not to let little imperfections bother me and just enjoy the set. It has an excellent picture.

The JVC has a very nice looking cabinet. I like the floating black border. I built a stand from some tropical wood left over from my patio deck. It's at a good height, with room for center speaker under the set, angled up. I use a 6.1 dolby pioneer amp.

When I first turned the set on, the fan was louder than my previous set, but now has "broken in" and is not as noticeable.

That's a lot of heat coming out the back. Good thing back in those cold states. I'm in CA.

My JVC and all components are plugged into a 1000 va UPS.

Friends and I used it to Xbox last night. We noticed our eyes did'nt hurt as much as my previous DLP. The colors in games and detail looked better, but lines were more jaggy, than previous set. I tried a 720p xbox game, True Crime, which looked the best I've seen it.

It's a big picture from 9 feet. I have no complaints.

Of the 4 picture mode's, what you guy's like best for which feed?

Any comments, suggestions?

Mr Sparks

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 483
Mr. Sparks-

Got any pix of the stand?

I've messed with my setting a bit since I posted them. I tailor fit them a bit more for each of the picture modes. After I used DVE, I tweeked them a bit by going with looks good to me.
I basically use them like this:
Standard- I adjusted for Standard def
Dynamic- I adjusted for HD programs
Theater- Adjusted to look best with the DVD player
Game- I used DVE in my XBOX and adjusted this mode for Xbox games

It seems to work pretty good. I don't always follow the modes exactly, but for the most part thats how I use them. Since my wife really enjoys alot of SD shows, I let you tweek the "Standard" a bit fit her needs.

4 more hours until my TV is up and running again!!! I have a 5 year old 27" CRT in my living and it is look quite small right now. It is hard to believe the 27" is deeper and heavier than my JVC. It is amazing how far TVs have come in the past 5 years.

Bronze Member

Vista1, Ca Usa

Post Number: 23
Gee, thought no one would ever ask ...
Here's a photo of my setup.

Upload

The stand was fun to make. The wood is called Ipe`. It looked like mahogony. I cut the pieces to fit into each other, so I only used a few screws.

Surround spearkers and sub-woofer are behind seating. I put my fronts as far apart as possible. I like separation.

Yep, my 34" CRT weights over 200 pounds and is huge. I don't move it around, at all.

Thanks for the advice on the modes. I'm also going to pop the DVE into Xbox.

Guess I need a upconverting DVD to use the DVE for HD setup? Anyway around that?

Speaking of upconverting:
If the JVC upconverts everything to 720p, why buy an upconverting DVD player?
Does the upconverting DVD do a better job than the JVC?
Does the upconverting DVD look better than a 480p DVD player?

Mr Sparks

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 484
I talked to Comcast about broadcasting a HD test pattern on channel 100 (comcast's special events HD channel) and they said "we'll look into it". That probably means nothing will be done. The only way I know of to get a true HD test pattern is with either $500 HD signal generator, or with a D-VHS player and a copy of the HD DVE.

The main reason I bought an upconvering DVD player was for the HDMI connection. Overall, the upconverted (720p)picture is not really "better" looking when compared to a 480p player, but it is a lot more stable with less noise and artifacts due to the pure digital connection.
I'd say the scaler in the JVC is equal to the one in my Tosh DVD player so the picture looks the same in 480p or 720p over the HDMI. If you get a DVD player with a superior scaler to the JVCs, you will get an even better picture. The Sony 975 and the highend Denons do an excellent job, but they are rather expensive.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 485
Mr. sparks-

Can you also post your pic here:
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/114959.html

I'm trying to get all the pix posted together for easy viewing.

Silver Member

Post Number: 103
Mr Sparks,

Nice setup!

I see you have an xbox. Did you get the special A/V connection for it? Did you also get the optical cable to connect it to your receiver for dolby 5.1, and if so, are you having any trouble getting the xbox to output dolby 5.1?

Thanks,
Ryan
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us