HD2+ LG question

Mal
Unregistered guest
This is the set I'm interested in buying:

http://ca.lge.com/en/prodmodeldetail.do?actType=search&page=1&modelCategoryId=01 0301&categoryId=010301&parentId=0103&modelCodeDisplay=RU-52SZ61D&model=Select+a+ model

The specs say it has an HD2+ chip however shouldn't the contrast ratio be closer to 2500:1 instead of 1500:1? I've emailed LG but they seem to be having a problem with their email server. Any ideas?

jamescrew
Unregistered guest
I believe that the lower contrast is because the set uses a 6 segment color wheel instead of a 7 segment wheel. I know that this is why I did not purchase the latest Samsung. The 85 series (commonly refered to as the Kirk model that uses a pedestal) uses a 7 segment wheel while the later 74 series uses a 6 segment wheel with a lower contrast ratio but both series use the HD2+ chip.

TVisEVIL
Unregistered guest
Actually I think it goes-

HD2+ w/7seg wheel = 3000:1
HD2+ w/6seg wheel = 2500:1
HD3 w/6seg wheel = 1500:1

Though I don't know how much stock I'd take into any of this. First contrast ratios are extremely exagerated. Then you got to take in that panasonic says they have an 8 segment wheel.

Finally when it's all said and done I just don't see where an extra segment would even be a factor in the contrast. It seems to me that all of this sets are so bright in fact that we need to turn the brightness down from their default settings. Then as far as the deepest black is concerned I would think only the chip could determine that as it just shuts off all colors sent to it.

DLP Owner
Unregistered guest
These guys are incorrect!

The color wheel has no role in contrast whatsoever. It has to do with the percentage and intensity of lamp light the chip reflects. The wattage of the lamp is a factor. The focus of lamp light on the chip is a factor. The size of the chip is a factor. Whether it's used in front projection or rear projection is also factor.

I think the LG you're looking at will be an excellent purchase. Why don't you pull the trigger, buy the extended warranty, and let us know all about it. It's a nice looking set.

jamescrew
Unregistered guest
Hmmmmm, DLP Owner, that's not what the forums are saying. Check this site out http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/specsformats/displays_DLP_technology2.html you will find that it clearly says the color wheel makes a difference in the contrast ratio. This is a quote from that article: "What's Next
Advances are being made in the single DMD design. For example, Texas Instruments' new HD2+ design incorporates an additional color (dark green) into the color wheel, allowing for contrast ratios greater than 3000:1 for much improved color reproduction and contrast." Before you make definitive statements you should check out your sources.

That being said, I am sure that any tv that uses the HD2+ will give a great picture.

DLP Owner
Unregistered guest
If you take the color wheel out of a DLP you have a black and white tv. Contrast is the subjective scale from the darkest black to the whitest white. Color is in the middle. Of course, we tv technicians always turn to audioholics.com for training and experience. Yea...right! Can't you recognize a sales pitch?
Before you make definitive statements you should consider the validity your sources.

That being said, I agree that any tv using the HD2+ will give a great picture.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us