How do you clean the mirror?

Unregistered guest
Just wanted to know if there is any way to clean the mirror on the inside of a DLP, to be more specific the HLN437w. Other than the occassional dust bug showing up on the screen I have been one of the lucky ones with no other problems... yet... going on one year.

Is there an access panel to easily reach the mirror without removing the whole screen.

Any help would be appreciated. THANKS!

Bronze Member
Username: Lampright

Syracuse, Utah USA

Post Number: 27
I don't know this for sure, but I would guess the DLP chip is probably in an air tight sealed area where dust cannot accumulate on it. With almost 1,000,000 tiny little mirrors moving on a chip the size of a stamp, dust would be detrimental to it.

Post Reader
Unregistered guest
I don't think Josh is talking about the chip. He wants to wipe the inside of the transparent screen. It's actually two screens. They are not very accessable unless you are technically inclined. Some disassembley is required.

Unregistered guest
i was actually talking about the mirror that the light engine reflects its image off of and onto the screen... it is located on the back half of the tv... and if i had to guess i would say it is about 6inches by 8 inches.

Unregistered guest
i was actually talking about the mirror that the light engine reflects its image off of and onto the screen... it is located on the back half of the tv... and if i had to guess i would say it is about 6inches by 8 inches.

Post Reader
Unregistered guest
I've had an opportunity to look ito my Sammy DLP and it appears that the light engine is on a slide tray, which brings it away from a small hole (3 inches) above the engine. My guess is that the image hits a small mirror and passes through a magnifying lens and is projected on the inside of the first full size screen. I don't know where you are seeing your dust. It could be between the full size screens or the inside of the first screen or on the front or back of the lens. It could be visible on the small mirror. At any rate, I think a service call is in order.

Unregistered guest
well i do know that dust is present inside the tv... on all the dlp's... and occasionally settles on the light engine lense or on the mirror the light engine projects its image onto.
EXAMPLE---------
light engine projects image onto the small mirror, appx. 6inch x 8inch

mirror reflects image onto screen.

Dust can settle on either the light engine (projector) or on the mirror that reflects the image onto the screen. I believe i have read this in the manual also, that this dust will show up as little white flashes on the screen, just for a split second (similar to a movie theater image) or if the dust settles on the mirror it may look like a "dead pixel/stuck mirror" until it is cleaned off or is some how removed from the mirror or light engine.

So after all that I was just curious if there is a way to clean off either of the two without removing the whole screen? Is there an opening in the rear, or through the lamp cover?

Any input would be much appreciated, THANKS!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us