Samsung HLP 5063 and "flickering" on Sd channels

Bronze Member
Username: Rocker43

Post Number: 22
I have Directv with the HD package, and a Samsung HLP5063 tv, and the "real" HD channels(Discovery HD Theatre, HDNET etc.)look awesome, but the SD channels and even some of the major networks that are "HD" get this kind of "flicker" or shimmer, I guess you could call it, especially around certain text, and certain colors, and I know it's not the tv, because Samsung just replaced our tv for issues that couldn't be related to this, and this one shows the exact same thing, which almost has to rule out the tv. Could it be my satellite receiver or ??? We have the RCA one that came with the HD upgrade. It doesn't happen all the time, but I don't think it is normal. Anyone have a clue. Oh, and I'm using DVI from satellite to tv, and the receiver is set to 1080i. Any feedback appreciated. Thanks in advance

DLP for Me!
Unregistered guest
Hi Jim,

Tried 720P yet? Tried component cables yet. I wonder if it makes any difference. I have the same set as you, but I have the Samsung SIR TS360 receiver. I use component cables and keep it on 720P. I rarely see the kind of flickering you see, but when I do, it's around some text on certain commercials. I thought it was broadcast related. Let me know.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. I know it isn't the tv, because I just got my brand new one that Samsung sent to swap with our "problem child"(color wheel, screen smudges, etc) and this particular problem is identical, which would most likely rule out the tv.It is most apparent on commercials around certain text, just like you say, and not every channel. I get it around certain colors that are together. Kind of hard to accurately describe, but sounds like you and I are on the same page. Just called Directv, and they sadi they were having a "flickering" problem with Samsung receivers on certain channels, but it has been resolved. I have the RCA DTC210....don't know if that's good or bad. Even the technician that was here when in the old sammy was getting the color wheel replaced said that it was excessive flickering. I'll take my component cables off the dvd player and try them on the satellite box for a few days, see what happens. Why do you keep yours on 720p? Just curious, as I'm still learning a lot of this stuff. Directv is looking into my model of receiver also, to see if there is a problem with it.

Klaus
Unregistered guest
I think you will find that it is an artifact of the analog to digital conversion at the provider. I get it as well on cable sd channels. It certainly looks like an instance of MPEG conversion, similar to internet streaming video.

DLP for Me!
Unregistered guest
Ahhhhh! Well...so it probably is a broadcast issue. Thanks Klaus!

Jim, some people see no difference in 1080I vs 720P, but I actually do. I watch NASCAR on HDNet and the 720P can handle the fast moving scenes much better. Technically, 720P gives "complete" (all 720 vertical lines in each frame) picture frames per second (60fps) even though it's less lines of resolution. 1080I uses 30fps of even lines and 30fps of odd lines to weave the picture together. It's a personal preference as to which one, Progressive or Interlaced, fools your eye better. This link provides more detail.

http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5107912-1.html

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Ah, so that might explain why some of the "HD" major networks don't always look so hot. The only ones that are what you might call "amazing" are what I call the "real" HD channels, such as HDNET, Discovery HD Theatre, etc.

DLP for Me!
Unregistered guest
The "Native" screen resolution for our sets is 720P, which I think looks stunning. Any other input or any other desired format has to be scaled, which means "processed". I'll stick with 720P. Even when the 1080P sets come out, there won't be much programming in that format. So, people buying these expensive new sets will be upscaling for some time to come. I'm not saying it won't look fabulous, it just won't be "Native" and thus must be processed up.

I may be misunderstanding you, and if I am let me apologize in advance, but when you say "HD" major networks I take it you mean digital major networks like abc, nbc, cbs, fox, etc. If so, these are digital UHF, not HD, broadcasts with some ocassional HD programming during prime time. Digital network broadcasts are much better as they are true digital broadcasts as opposed to standard analg NTSC format, however, they are not considered HD unless the specific programming is an HD 720P or 1080I program. I'm hooked on the amazing HD Discovery and HDNet channels too.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Yeah, when I say "HD" major networks, I mean ABC, NBC,CBS,and Fox. I get the east/west package from Directv, and they happen to be out of New York and L.A. and just so happen to be broadcast in HD, and they always say 720P and 1080i on the guide, but, just like the guy at Directv told me today, it depends on how it was originally recorded. Just because it's broadcast in HD, doesn't mean it will look good. Just like last night I put CSI on(CBS,I think) and it looked almost as good as HDNET, and it was broadcast in 1080i, but I went to some show on CBS(can't remember which), also being broadcast in 1080i, and it looked like crap. Discovery and HDNET are consistently awesome, the major networs just aren't there yet. Hope I explained it a little better.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us