Observation about DLP and RP LCD

Anonymous

I'm no expert but looking at the DLPs, they have this rotating colour wheel that some people have noted that is a noise concern. My concern is also that being a mechanical device, this colour wheel is another thing that could fail and require repair and/or replacement after a while.

The RP LCDs like Sony's Grand Wega system is all electronic. No mechanical parts to fail.

Am I right or am I missing something?

Bronze Member
Username: Gnnr

NJ USA

Post Number: 72
No mechanical parts to fail, yes. But the chemicals in the LCD break down too quickly for my tastes and may require expensive repairs/service inside of 5 or 3 years with image failure before that. It's a toss up, in a way, but a 160 buck wheel (potentially covered under a service plan) vs a complete engine replacement for well over 1K seems a no brainer.

Anonymous

Mr. Cox, are you saying the the 3 LCD chips in the Grand Wega have a potential for leaking?

Anonymous

LCD currently dominates new computer monitors by a wide margin. 10's of millions of LCD monitors have been sold including hundreds of thousands of LCD projection TV's. The technology is proven to be reliable

Color wheels are innately flawed in design no matter what new technology is developed. Only the next generation 3 chip standards will resolve the issue. However, these 3 chip DLP's are currently hugely expensive

LCD or LCD rear/front projection is the best all around all purpose technology for the price today, able to handle quite well a variety of applications

FYI
Unregistered guest
I don't think so! LCD's are organic matter that will alter and fade with light and heat. No LCD will have the same picture quality after 4000 hours. Here's why!

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0%2C1558%2C1049289%2C00.asp?kc=ETNKT0209KTX1

Bronze Member
Username: Dwclark

Arlington, Tx Usa

Post Number: 13
that test doesn't represent real life results by any means. They clearly state they run the bulb 24/7 with the brightness up ful blast and every other setting the max they can go. Put those settings on real values and the lcd's will last for 5 or 6 years

Anonymous

It does, and it's conservative. I was in BB and both the Wega 50 ish and the Zenith 44 they had on display had been essentially on for nearly a year there... the Zenith was TRASHED and the Wega was showing a blue hue and was due for its SECOND repair according to the sales manager for that problem - this sounds like, to me, the breakdown of the panels had started.

Equating a flatpanel LCD computer display to RPTV displays is not to smart... the backlighting and UV sourcing are much different, and the panel chemicals in the three panel solution are different as well.

Throw int he fact that LCDs aren't capable enough for true blacks and that their color range is not as vibrant as DLP or DILA/LCoS, plus notable pixelation even at a distance on many units (Sony's do well at a nominal view distance but you better get the right size display with the Wega for your room or you are going to be seeing a lot of screen dooring) and the motion lag issues of many LCDs... well, you get the picture.

The upside is that they are bright, have a very wide view angle in both orientations, and are just as proven as DLP or CRT in terms of unit reliability for the most part, plus they don't have as many mechanical parts to fail as a DLP.

Anonymous

It does, and it's conservative. I was in BB and both the Wega 50 ish and the Zenith 44 they had on display had been essentially on for nearly a year there... the Zenith was TRASHED and the Wega was showing a blue hue and was due for its SECOND repair according to the sales manager for that problem - this sounds like, to me, the breakdown of the panels had started.

Equating a flatpanel LCD computer display to RPTV displays is not to smart... the backlighting and UV sourcing are much different, and the panel chemicals in the three panel solution are different as well.

Throw int he fact that LCDs aren't capable enough for true blacks and that their color range is not as vibrant as DLP or DILA/LCoS, plus notable pixelation even at a distance on many units (Sony's do well at a nominal view distance but you better get the right size display with the Wega for your room or you are going to be seeing a lot of screen dooring) and the motion lag issues of many LCDs... well, you get the picture.

The upside is that they are bright, have a very wide view angle in both orientations, and are just as proven as DLP or CRT in terms of unit reliability for the most part, plus they don't have as many mechanical parts to fail as a DLP.

Anonymous

Having gone through 2 DLP TVs (HL-P5063W) and currently on a Sony LCD (50WE655) I can tell you this much. The Sony RPLCD is no longer flawed with lag issues and the picture compared to the Samsung DLP in some cases is actually better. I couldn't stand the waxy/glossy look of flesh tones on the DLP and the poor contrast ratio on the Samsung was a real turn off. Unusual watermarks, blotches however you would like to call them are common among the HL-P5063W. So common in fact that after nagging them constantly with emails, it seems they finally have a reply to the issue.

http://erms.samsungusa.com/customer/sea/jsp/faqs/faqs_view.jsp?PG_ID=3&AT_ID=171 46&PROD_SUB_ID=41&PROD_ID=153

The 2nd time around with the DLP model, it had a unusually loud high pitched sound coming from the color wheel. It was really annoying having that sound overlap the volume at whatever setting even when set to max. DLPs are clearly not for gaming as I found out, it didn't do any game justice and perhaps the reason for this is because I've had a XBR model for quite sometime strictly for that. I'm sure the latest Samsung model has made improvement with the HD DLP models, a much more responsive controller, improved contrast ratio and color wheel issues such as high pitched noise. Though I'm uncertain whether or not the issue of watermarks has been addressed.
Now moving along to the Sony RPLCD, I just managed to have it delivered a few days ago and black levels are not as good as my previous DLP. That is possibly the only thing it has going for it right now but as far as color goes, the Sony model is much more vibrant and represents a more natural look. Overall I have to say the RPLCD is clearly better than the DLP but as many have mentioned in due time it'll wear out. So far it seems that I'll be returning this model as well and just going with the good ol' CRT based RPTV. (Sony KDP-57WS655)

Any feedback on the KDP-57WS655 would be much appreciated too.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us