Component Cables Not HD Compat.

Bronze Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 31
I hear that many people use component cables to connect their satellite box to their TV.

Im totally baffled by that because I was always taught that component cables are only 480compatable, and I cant understand why a person would use them to connect to a 720/1080 signal source.

Am I missing something here??? Can somebody show me a link where component cables are HD compatable?? Yea, sure the picture will look good if you use component cables, but it is NOT a HD picture if you choose that connection..

Any comments??

Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Gnnr

NJ USA

Post Number: 54
I dunno either way... I do know that my HD cable box has neither DVI or HDMI so that leaves only Component or SVideo.

Username: Gojhawks

Post Number: 5
According to the Crutchfield Audio and Video Cable Advisor: "unlike the other three types of connections, component video is capable of passing high-definition and progressive-scan video signals."
http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/learningcenter/home/cables.html

Component video cables pass HD signals just fine.

Anonymous

you appear to mixing up composite with component

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
No, I know exactly what component cables are, and I have yet to see an independent source(someone not selling them) show specifications showing they are capable of transmitting a true HD picture.

That was the whole purpose of my question because some cable companies are trying to sell an 'alleged' HD service when they are not......IE, do not even have DVI or HDMI unputs necessary to fully transmit the 1080 resolution.

The only thing a component cable is, is an improved version of an analog s-video connection achieved by separating the colors.

Post Reader
Unregistered guest
Well...let's talk about signal. Your tv is an analog display. If it's HD ready and has a digital cable input it can convert that digital HD signal to a 720P or 1080I analog resolution for display. If you don't use the digital signal input then the conversion to analog is occuring outside the set in the cable box or DTV receiver or Dish receiver or DVD or whatever. These devices have different analog out connections. From worst to best they are: coax, composite RCA, S-Video, and component RGB. Some devices have a digital output, but not all. Analog signal can contain any line resolution format including HD. Being electrons, the signal can ride on any cable and through any connection that allows the free flow of electrons. Transmission quality depends on the method used (mentioned above) and the quality of the cables and connections. I have a digital input to my DLP set, but I prefer to use the analog component RGB input because I have an Onkyo Home Theater 7.1 system that accepts all my video and audio signals, then feeds to a single RGB input on my DLP set. That way I can see my Dolby Surround Sound on-screen menu. When I switch video feeds it automatically switches the optical audio feed too. I can also see all my security cameras that are connected to the Onkyo HT using just the Onkyo remote. It's the same for PS2 and X-Box connections. Most people can't see a difference in a digital connection vs a component RGB connection watching Discovery HD if they use high quality cables. I have actually read on this forum that several folks prefer RGB over HDMI.

Anonymous

I got my first HD set several yrs back and hdmi/dvi really wasn't a major issue and component cables absolutely produced true 1080i pictures in pristine form via the Samsung OTA digital box

Having also tested non-component rca's (composites) I was unable to receive Hi def

components worked and non-components did not

you don't need a spec sheet to test this

Anonymous

Sorry Paul but your a little off. I can tell 100% for sure component cables will transmit 1080i or 720p resolution. This is simply a common known fact and not worth the time of finding a link.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
Ok, thanks. I appreciate the responses to set me straight.

That's why I origionally asked the question.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us