Unregistered guest
I'm in the market to purchase a lcd projection
tv I'd like I'd like some suggestions.
I'm looking for a 60 inch set

Thanks,
Johnny

Username: Scoobs

Post Number: 6
give the hitachi 60v500 a look, and take a good reference movie on DVD with you.

this past sunday, i watched the first half of the USC/washington state hoops HDnet broadcast on the 50v500. it was sick. i now hate going home and watching my 27" screen. BTW, i was in a light controlled showcase room, so they were able to adjust the set accordingly. it was sitting next to the 50" panny, which i didn't like as much as the hitachi in this particular store--but i've seen the panny look good in other places.

i now have the hitachi on order, which should be delivered wh...some time in late may. i'm already going through withdrawls. LOL!!!!

with the hitachi, i thought the color was exceptional, no blurring during fast action scenes or sports, the brightness was outstanding, the black levels were excellent (some of the detailing might have been lacking in the deepest shadow areas, but it's nothing i'd miss anyway). i watched AOTC on DVD two weeks ago on the very same 50v500 and was blown away by the richness of the picture.

three of the complaints about this set are: 1) "fan noise", 2) "smudges" on the screen, and 3) dead pixels (as with all LCD rp sets). if any or all of these are excessive, return the set for a new one. it might be a pain in the butt, but it would be worth it in the end.

as i've mentioned above, i also saw the panasonic LCD. in one store it wasn't so good, but the one i saw at CC two days ago was sitting next to a sammy DLP, and they both looked equally good. the panny was much less expensive ($1500).

as far as sony goes, i steered clear for now, as it sounded like they've had way to many issues to deal with--#1 being the bulb burning out within a month. ...sometimes sooner. i thought the picture on the sony was very good as well. though i haven't seen one with the black level of the hitachi.

Bronze Member
Username: James_s

Post Number: 37
I would also have to suggest that you got with the Hitachi set, Sony is good, except they are having some major problems at the moment with bulbs burning out, so much so, that you can't actually order them at the moment. Hitachi has had no problems as of yet, and I find that they have a brighter, clearer, and an over all better picture. So definately go with the Hitachi, I have heard nothing but good things about them.

I heard that Mitsubishi (that's right, Mitsubishi) is coming out with a new form of tv that's supposed to be better than plasma, and more affordable, this is however a rumor, and most likely still in the prototype phase.

Bronze Member
Username: Emkmd

Post Number: 34
I would just avoid the LCD. Dead pixels are real. Slow refresh rates make action blurry. Some say these sets wear out. The talk is all DLP which is a better technology. (LCOS aside).
-E

Username: Scoobs

Post Number: 7
Eric, after watching college basketball in Hi-Def (granted it was a dick bennett coached team--and i believe the guy is brilliant coach) in addition to "attack of the clones" on DVD (on the 50v500), i didn't notice any slow refresh rate that made the action look blurry. if nothing else, it certainly wasn't any more or less blurry than anything you'd see in a movie theater. maybe i just have slow eyes. LOL!!!!!

while DLP2+ or DLP 3 maybe a better technology, it will be at a higher price point, and it's still about 5 months away. currently i certainly don't think DLP is better by any stretch. they're both pretty similar in most respects. the only major difference between the two, IMO, is the price point. if the 50" hitachi can be had for less than 3 grand, where as a 50" sammy is pushing 4 grand, to me the value is in the hitachi.

as far as dead pixels, if you can't see them from viewing distance, then what's the difference? if you can, you return the set for a new one.

i will also add, hitachi's color controls are far better than any of the other brand's hands down. but that may not be a big issue with some people.

Anonymous

I was at Goodguys the other day and happen to notice the Philips LCoS otherwise known as Cienos. It was a 55 inch, and Finding Nemo looked pretty sick. LCoS may be new, but it's surely up and coming technology. You may want to add that your list.

1080p
Unregistered guest
wait for something that displays at 1080p, not 720p or less. right now, i don't think there are many 1080p lcd tv's out there.

RobW
Unregistered guest

I think he'll be waiting for a 1080p source too!
(unless he uses PC or expensive scaler)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us