Hlp4674 is this set worth the extra $ than the 4663?

newtoDLP
Unregistered guest
I think the new models will be coming out shortly, should we be waiting?

Bronze Member
Username: Gnnr

Saddle Brook, NJ USA

Post Number: 20
I saw the 74 at a local store next to the 63 and also compared the 63 to 40-ish and 50-ish sized DLP/LCOS/LCD/DILA units at BB. I don't have the most critical eye, but I was looking for differences and really didn't note anything. It's a hair brighter perhaps, but it didn't seem to be hugely different in any area. The colors were a bit more 'saturated' too, which I didn't like.

Anonymous

From what I have seen on this board I would buy the 74. The PQ may not be much different but the 74 has the HD2+ chip which has corrected the audio sync problem. I just ordered a 5674 and got a killer deal. $2975 and that inclueded shipping! Can't wait to get it in.

Bronze Member
Username: Gnnr

Saddle Brook, NJ USA

Post Number: 21
The current audio sync problem on the 4663 has been corrected supposedly in current production and there are several DIY as well as service level fixes for it on the older production models.

The following is quoted out of the thread on this forum regarding this problem with the Samsung DLPs and covers this specific model:

By the way, for everyone else, here is what's on Samsungs website about the Audio/Synch issue (which doesn't exactly work)

If the sound on your DLP TV is out of sync with your picture and the TV is not connected to a home theater system, a Samsung technician can adjust the sound sync function on the TV so that the sound and picture are in sync.

To arrange a service call to adjust the sound sync function, call Samsung Customer Care at 1-800-SAMSUNG (1-800-726-7864).

If the sound on your DLP TV is out of sync with your picture and you are using a home theater system (HTS), things become more difficult. In many setups, the television signal comes into a set top box. The set top box audio output is connected directly to the HTS and the set top box video output is connected directly to the TV. Consequently, the audio portion of the signal is sent directly to the HTS without passing through the TV, and the video portion of the signal is sent directly to the TV without passing through the HTS. The two signals are separated and cannot be synced by adjusting the sound sync function in the TV.

If your system is set up as described above, you still may be able to resolve the sound sync problem. Check your HTS user's manual to see if your HTS has a Sound Delay function. If it does, you may be able to adjust the Sound Delay so that the sound and picture are in sync.

If your HTS does not have a Sound Delay function, you may be able to purchase an audio delay device that you can put into your system between the set top box and the HTS. You should be able to adjust the audio delay device so that the sound and picture are in sync.

-----------

This is from Samsung regarding the "lip sync" issues.

Tech must replace the following parts. This is a firmware software, and hardware fix. At the time of this writing the fix consists of replacing the Analog, digital, power supply, remote and light engine. The part # 50DLPLIPSYNCKIT. There is in the work a less aggressive fix, but it is currently not ready

-------------

http://wa6ati.com/Samsung.html

http://wa6ati.com/Samsung.html

When my friends HLP4663 was "fixed", this was the Tech showed us. The HLP models are not listed, so the part number might be different. We didn't notice until after he had left, but I do remember him talking about similar parts in all the Samsungs.

------------

The sync issue is resolved with two parts they come together in this part # 43-50lipsynckit if your set is a HLN5065W or HLN4365W. This are upgrades of the Digital and anolog video/audio boards. If you are still under warranty it will be covered

----------------

Ryan_In_KC in your case you don't need parts (in a normal situation) it's a setting on the service menu. I'll give the info but be sure to change ONLY what I say and do not touch any other thing (all the TV settings are there)While the TV is in
the stand-by mode, enter the Service Mode.
Press the following buttons on the remote control:

MUTE + 1 + 8 + 2 + POWER

Select and enter the OPTION service mode.
Set item SoundDelay_OnOff to the ON position.
Select and set the SoundDelay item to Delay 3.
Confirm the audio and video are in sync.
Exit Service Mode by pressing the
POWER button on the remote
control. The TV will turn off. Be sure to let the unit complete the OFF secuence all the way (when fan is turns off)before you turn the unit on again or the unit will never get out the service mode. This fix also works on the models finishing 1X like HLN5065W1X/XAA. Remember you can do great damage to your TV set in this menu don't experiment with any other options. Let me know how it goes. Good luck!

hopeless
Unregistered guest
Anonymous, would you mind sharing where you were able to get such a great deal on the hlp5674? that is a fantastic price. i'm actually looking for the hlp4674, but for the price you're paying, why not get the extra 10 inches! thanks!

new to DLP
Unregistered guest
my local hawthorn does not carry the 4674 series, but he told me he could get it. He called on Monday 2620+tax. This is a pretty good deal too, thats why I think the new models are on their way. Sort of like samsung has chopped prices in the last week or so.

hopeless
Unregistered guest
that's good to know. i currently have a toshiba 46hm84 on order, but if i can get a good deal on the 4674/5674 sammy, i'd probably prefer that.

Anonymous

Hopeless it's one of the perks you get for working for TI. They get you discounts on the technology they develope. What gets me is the marketing of these tv's. I haven't seen any of the 74s at places like CC & BB. But just this month there was a $300 dollar price drop at the source we get them. I think samsung is tring to dump the old models before offering the newer models through stores like CC & BB.

Anonymous

Hopeless it's one of the perks you get for working for TI. They get you discounts on the technology they develope. What gets me is the marketing of these tv's. I haven't seen any of the 74s at places like CC & BB. But just this month there was a $300 dollar price drop at the source we get them. I think samsung is tring to dump the old models before offering the newer models through stores like CC & BB.

Klaus
Unregistered guest
The 74's are a Tantus model similar to Sony's XBR series. They are not usually offered at CC and BB.

hopeless
Unregistered guest
thanks anonymous. that's a great deal you guys get there. very envious! enjoy the new tv!

Dank
Unregistered guest
I had the 4663 for 3 months and was very happy with the picture and sound quality, although I did experience the audio-sync and videogame delay problems. Unfortunately, it turned out to be a lemon so I exchanged it for a 4674 and paid the $400 difference. At first I wasn't sure if I liked the picture as much because it isn't as "smooth". But after a few days of viewing I can say I am very happy with it and definitely prefer the sharper picture. Plus...no more audio-sync problem, and I didn't have any delay issues while playing Madden 2005 on my PS2 last night. And the overall size is smaller so it fits into my entertainment center better. If it's in your budget I'd say it's definitely worth the price over the 4663.

ExSamsungcustomer
Unregistered guest
WARNING- STAY AWAY FROM SAMSUNG DLPs! Read the message boards and learn about A/V out-of-sync, screetching color wheels, screen smudges, & 3 lights of death. Check out www.bbb.org and find out how Samsung reacts to customer complaints (unsatisfactory record).

By the way, I've learned that the A/V sync problem is caused by a "compatibility" problem and Samsung has a fix on the way - a new home theater system with audio delay features will be on the market from this company in 2-3 months. Does anyone think this is a reasonable solution?

These tvs are trash. Many complaints across multiple message boards. Don't cause yourself grief by buying one of these and going through what many have experienced. Don't just "deal with it". Call Samsung Consumer Affairs at 1-800-747-5618. Fill out an online complaint at BBB.org. What's next - small claims court/class-action. We'll see......Hit them in the pocketbook for now.

FYI
Unregistered guest
Doom and gloom...oh my!

This person spent their time and energy b1tching and complaining instead of resolving some petty issues through the warranty. Now, they're ready to call the lawyers! All HD RPTV's are "new inventions". They all have issues. Some folks are patient and some folks are not. Some keep swapping sets out hoping for a "perfect" one. It's not a perfect world and some folks just can't "deal with it".

My Samsung HLP5063W had a damaged lamp during shipping. It went out the first month. (three lights) The Samsung factory warranty service was exceptional. A technician arrived in 2 days and replaced the lamp. My color wheel developed a slight high pitched sound during the fifth month. The Samsung people were aware of the issue and on the 3rd day after calling, the same technician brought out a newly designed "air bearing" color wheel for my set. Everything has been fine for almost a year now. The picture is fabulous, I mean absolutely incredible, which is why I chose Samsung. I have a 5 year extended warranty and I'm not sweating any repair.

***WARNING*** STAY AWAY FROM CRANKY, ANGRY, IMPATIENT, STRESSED-OUT PEOPLE!

Anonymous

FYI

Don't know about you, but I sure don't have that kind of $ to spend on poor quality. Sounds like you've got one of those 'great' sets yourself. These problems are more than just a nuisance (read this thread).

FYI
Unregistered guest
Anon,

There are 100's of 1000's of happy Samsung DLP customers out there and negative posts represent a small fraction of the total market. Pick a thread on any brand of RPTV and you will find someone that had major problems with that model. That doesn't mean you will. I read all threads, so, I know this to be true.

Klaus
Unregistered guest
It is obvious that all the major players have some growing pain issues in quality control to contend with. The other more insidious issue that you can delve by reading the threads is that the ability to correctly set up and run the entire system (STB, sound, TV) at this point in time is beyond many users, especially those used to the old "point and shoot" approach where the tv was the only device, hooked up via coax to an analog tuner. Hopefully once the technology matures, truly integrated solutions will become available and many of the complaints that are due to ineptitude will vanish. At this time however the manufactureres have to often honor these "false claims" along with real issues which can skew the impression that the quality enmasse is at fault.

RaveD
Unregistered guest
ExSamsungcustomer is a troll. He posts the same negative message about Samsung on other boards. He has no credibility.

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
How is he being a troll? Are you saying that he hasn't had a negative experience? Or, are you saying that given his negative experience he has no right to post it here? He is sharing his experience. Either believe it or not but don't accuse of being a troll.

What you will get out here are people raving about their experience or ranting about it. That is what BBS are for.

RaveD
Unregistered guest
If ExSamsungcustomer did start out with a legitimate complaint it has clearly turned ugly. He posts the exact same message all over the Internet. Clearly he is intent on damaging Samsung's reputation and getting people to file complaints.

This approach gives him zero credibility in my book. Who knows why he has a grudge against Samsung? It could have nothing to do with his own personal experience with Samsung DLP TVs.

It's one thing to post a legitimate complaint. It's another to say "these TVs are trash" and encourage people to file complaints with BBB.

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
If I got screwed on a $3,000+ television, you can bet that I would be out here on every bulletin board I could find warning others too. So, I can't blame him one bit if his experience is legitimate.

FYI
Unregistered guest
tvshopper,

You did get screwed! You just don't know it yet.

Everybody has their limit... on human error, electrical, structural, or mechanical flaws. It could be a house, a vehicle, or a relationship. Some work through the issues and some head for divorce. Some just rant! High blood preasure, hyper-tention, physical and mental breakdown awaits those with less than a cool headed approach to life. I know! I was given a second chance. This board may well be a relief valve, but it can also be a boiler room! To each his own. In a hundred years we will all be dead and someone else will be watching my DLP tv. LOL!

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
FYI,

No I didn't but thank you for your enlightened opinion.

By the way it's holding in all that anger that caused you to need a "second chance." And, if you think that 100 years from now someone will be watching your DLP, you either suffered an extreme amount of brain damage or you are delusional.

FYI
Unregistered guest
Lighten up...I was kidd'n around!

doing my hdtv research
Unregistered guest
Hey I have an idea. How about less emails about who said what about the samsung dlps, and more about actual experiences comparing the 74 series dlp with the competition (ie Toshiba hm amd hmx series). What do you say?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us