Best black level performer?

Username: Buzz

Post Number: 3
I have been looking at the Sony 655 LCD projection series and they have a very life like picture, but the black levels dont seem as good as some other models. The rest of the picture however seems better than the same models that have better black level. Any ideas for a set that has deep black levels and a real looking picture? By 'real' I mean lifelike, not over-done looking...
Also, I dont think I want to get a DLP, because of all of the A/V sync issues...

Thanks for any help

buzz

Inky
Unregistered guest
I don't have any A/V sync issues. My Samsung HLP5674 has the HD2+ chip with the fourth generation light engine and a wonderful contrast ratio of 2500 to 1. My blacks are true black. My picture is absolutely fabulous. That LCD is going to fail on you in under 5 years. A DLP anything will last over 30 years.

Post Number: 5
Inky thanks for the info, but where did you hear the LCD will fail within 5 years? I havent heard that anywhere. I have heard plasmas will fade within 5 years, but as far as DLP and LCD , I thought they would last a lot longer...

jamescrew
Unregistered guest
Buzz, one big difference between LCD tv's and DLP tv's is that there is no screen burn-in with DLP sets. Since most of the channels still broadcast in analog you will see black bars on the side of the tv's that can cause burn-in with LCD's. I have read that LCD light engines will fail but that they can be replaced. However, the cost to replace an LCD engine is much greater than the light bulb on a DLP set. The bulbs currently cost approx $300 but I expect that price to drop in the next few years as companies improve on the manufacturing of the bulbs and as DLP tv's grab a bigger market share of HD sets sold.

I own a Mitsu 52725 and am very happy with the picture. My greatest problem is the video signal from my cable provider that can cause some pixilation and a/v synch problems. However, these problems do not happen often.

Bronze Member
Username: Americasteam

Post Number: 13
For black level DLP is better. LCD's just can't produce a true black. You can do a filter mod to increase the quality of the blacks though. LCD's do not suffer from burn in. They also have a bulb to replace just like DLP.

Pick your poison:
LCD - screen door effect, weak black level, and may fade over many years of use, great picture.

DLP - a million tilting mirrors, good blacks, great picture, spining color wheel, the chance of you or someone in your family seeing rainbows causing eye fatigue, a/v sync issues, lag in gaming.

None are perfect. You just have to decide what you can live with. I have had a LCD, 2 DLP's, and the JVC in my home in the last 3 months. Personally I think the JVC has the least amount of negatives.

Post Number: 7
The first set I bought a few weeks ago was the Panasonic PT-50LC14
Ok PQ, but the screen door effect drove me nuts, plus the screen had creases in it at the top where it was joined to the frame. Kind of shady for a $2500 tv. Took it back for a refund.

The second set I got was a Sony KDF-42WE655. The PQ was far better than the Panasonic, but the black level was real weak. I tried to ignore it and just enjoy the crispness of the screen and vibrant colors, but I kept noticing how crappy the blacks were. I tried every setting the TV had, butno luck. Took it back for a refund.
I was leaning to LCD projection because it will not burn in. But now I think I wont be satisfied with anything less than a plasma. I am looking at the Sony KE-42M1 plasma now. It is only ED resolution, but it was by far the best looking TV out of the 40 or so TVs Sears had on display.
For $1200 more I can upgrade to Sony's 42" HD plasma, but dont know if its worth the extra $$$
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us