Archive through January 06, 2005

Bronze Member
Username: Angelog

Post Number: 66
Doug,

>> Shaking white lettering

It sounds like to me that there is some issue of "field order" if the shaking doesn't occur on pause. Maybe there is something screwing going on in some phase of the 480i to 720p conversion.

I would try several different options/combinations of settings on the TV and the DVD player (i.e. experiment with different output resolution settings on the DVD player..) but in the end, it may just be an artifact of your combination.

Remember, a 480i DVD is interlaced and thus moving text would necessarily be split into 2 fields. To get to 720p, the resolution needs to be nearly doubled (but not a simple 1:2 double which would give 960 lines) and changed from interlaced to progressive. Then there is also 3:2 pulldown happening.

All this combined can cause rolling titles to have some funkyness and really sets appart the different converters from one and other. Remember, some folks are paying $500+ for their DVD players or standalone video processors to acquire processing that does this flawlessly.

Ang

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 360
I caught the credits of a movie on HBO HD, and HBO West, and neither one seemed to be shaky. I popped in a DVD and it did not scroll as smooth as it probably should. Must be a scaling issue. The beginning of a Star Wars film seemed to scroll fine though. I thought that was interesting.
Has anyone ever seen the credits scoll on a DLP? You get wonderful rainbows in all the white letters.

Ang-
I agree with you, movies in true HD look incredible. I watch HBO HD all the time. It puts upscaled DVDs to shame.

Gerry-
I watch SD channels thought the TV's tuner, bypassing the cable box. It seems to come in a bit clearer. It still is not great, but I think it is very watchable atleast.

Anonymous

Ok, first of all I must say it sucks having a week off and nothing to do but shop for a tv. I have changed my mind at least 100 times on what to buy. Now, I have a few more questions about the JVC.

There are some problems with it that concern me such as fringing/chroma aberration, geometry/pincushion problems, green tint, grayscale, short bulb life, uneven coloration across the screen, etc...

Can any of these be fixed or adjusted in the service menu? Has anyone done it successfully?

Also, how can I tell the manufacture date based on serial number? I've read that the new ones begin with 15 or 16. Is this correct?

Bronze Member
Username: Douga

Post Number: 22
angelo, you definately have a much greater knowledge of the subject than I do. Your explanation makes perfect sense however. My DVD player is old and extremely basic (it is not even progressive scan). I will be getting a new one sometime soon and will experiment again.

GREEN GLOW:

Ok, as time goes by I think I do have the green glow issue that others have talked about. It appears in the upper left had corner of my screen during dark scenes and no input conditions. Is JVC willing to fix this under warranty, or is it not considered a problem? It is minor at this point, but if it continues to get worse as suggested it will bother me. Just wondering when/how I should prosue this problem.

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
Doug,

JVC should happily fix the problem. It is a known problem. Contact their support center and report your troubles. They should schedule a repair order for you.

Bronze Member
Username: Dmako

Post Number: 88
Put together a stand for my (our) new JVC. Used MDF and pipes.

Figured I'd post a picture if anyone is interested.
Still have to hide wires and figure out the center speaker placement.

Upload

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 361
Dave-

Very cool. I like seeing the home made stands. My friends setup is very similar and he ran a thicker painted PVC pipe up the back for the wires.

I'd try to get the center channel on the same plain as the left and right speakers. Maybe stack the cable box and the DVD/VHS, and move the receiver down next to them. That would leave the the old reciever spot for the center channel. Just an idea though. Nice work!!!

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 364
I started a new thread for pix of TV stands. Since most DLP, LCD, and LCoS sets are similar size, I'm curious as to what solutions people came up with for a stand. Please check it out and post your pix if you like.
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/114959.html

Thanks for help in getting it going.

Username: Glo_bo

Post Number: 4
On SD PQ, All I can say is mine is very good and I am hooked up to comcast analog. It is totally acceptable and looks good. What helped allot taking Mr. Lynch advice I picked up a UPS 500VA for 29 bucks and wo SD got even better. Power conditioning helped.

Username: Mvpinboynton

Post Number: 6
Globo,
I had not seen any comments about a UPS helping SD PQ. Were you having electrical interference on HD also? I am wanting to get a UPS for my set, but have never seen a 500 for $29. Where did you find that great deal?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 67
Denon 1910 is being returned tomorrow.

The final straw was Master and Commander, Scene 15 (I think) where they are about to round The Horn when chasing the enemy. (if anyone else has that movie, I'd appreciate it if you'd look at that scene too and provide comments).

Green, and reds all over the place .. and how aweful it looks when later in the scene Crow looks thru is scope at the ship thru the spray and weather ... YUK!

To be fair, I think it's also the JVC set's dendency to mess up dark, moving greys. I took my old, 480i component AIWA DVD player and let the JVC's D.I.S.T do the scaling and it was better.

For $250 though, I'd expect better from the Denon. I'm planning on just getting an inexpensive non-scaling DVD player and wait for JVC to get the set right 1st. Then move on to evaluating upscaling DVD players.

JVC has asked me to take digital pics of the "green" and misalignment that I'm talking about. I'll post when I get them.

Ang

Anonymous

Globo, cheaper UPS's don't isolate the power. They work off line voltage, then when the power goes down they work off the batt. There should be no difference in your pix quality.
By the way I have been reading these posts since they started. Got my JVE before the olympics. WOW! No problems. I run cable, analog poor digital very good, DVD great and HD I think I'm there. No shaking letters just a great picture. I looked for 2 years before I spent. The Samsung I almost bought but as sais in eariler posts very green. When the JVC came out it was the one to buy. and did and not looking back. ENJOY!

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 365
A lot of UPS have a simple line conditioner built in. You screw your cable into it and it is suppose to "cleanup" the signal. I noticed a slight inprovement in SD when I ran it though the UPS. A lot less "noise" was visible.

Ang-
I watched "Master and Commander" on HBOHD last night. During the dark foggy scenes I did not see any artifacts or banding like I can slightly see when watching the DVD. Also, the scene your talking about was very smooth and clear on HBO. I think part of the problems you see are because of the encoding on the disc.

I was reading an article that talked about how most new TVs have a slight green push. Manufacturers boost the greens because it will make the set appear much brighter overall, resulting is a greater WOW factor and higher specs. I'm sure you have seen the posts about DLPs green problems too.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 68
Mr. L,

>> I was reading an article that talked about how most new TVs have a slight green push.

Yea .. but this seems to be something different. For instance .. using the DVE disk .. when you have the sync images (sweeping clocks of different colors ending in a "beep") .. in the grey clock the low dark or begining of the sweep is greenish.

Also when looking at the white alignment grid, I can definitely see green on one side and sometimes red on either side of the white lines .. sometimes as much as 1 full pixel width.. especially away from the center of the screen.

>> on HBOHD

I'll have to find it and record it for future watching for comparison. Thanks

Ang

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 366
Ang-

"Also when looking at the white alignment grid, I can definitely see green on one side and sometimes red on either side of the white lines .. sometimes as much as 1 full pixel width.. especially away from the center of the screen."

I don't think it can be fixed. I can see the same thing, but only when I have my face a few inches from the screen. This pic is from MNF. You can see green on the left of white lines, and red on the right. When I get atleast a foot away from the set it no longer becomes visible. Where are you sitting when you see it?

Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 69
>> Where are you sitting when you see it?

A few inchs from the screen ... but my current theory is that this misalignment is what what is causing the green tinting in the grey scenes. Especially grey scenes with motion.

The problem is separating the DVD scaling errors from the TV errors. I wish that the HD sources (cable/sat) would provide test patterns someplace. I'm surprised and disappointed that the cable boxes or TV's don't have them built in.

Ang

Anonymous

That looks like the chromatic aberration I'm so worried about. That's one of the things pushing me towards the panasonic DLP set at the moment.

Does anyone know if JVC will cover this under warranty when they figure out how to fix it???

Post Number: 7
What a coincidence, I went to CompUSA at lunch and they had the UPC 500 for $29.95 after rebates. My JVC will appreciate it.

Silver Member
Username: Kid_red

Post Number: 112
anon- The aberration is concerning, but not an issue from 5+ feet away from every set I've seen.

Mr Lynch- I recently saw 3 JVCs in Brandmart and of course, Sonys, Pannys, etc. One thing I saw there was jagged edges on text. The Sony has perfect, the others varied but the 3 JVCs (2 more so then the 3rd) had really rough looking text. I was wondering, if you or anyone else here, can take a snap or two of say the weather channel with all the temps and other text pasted around the map? I just want to see that this was factor other then the JVC. Not sure how/why the Sony was near perfect while the JVC was so rough.

Also, have any owners watched Ed Wood or any black and white movies? Wondering if the blacks are even top to bottom.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 70
Rick,

>> jaggy text

Be sure that all have the same input source and that all are set to the same level of DNR. If the Sony was on MAX DNR, that can soften text edges.

Ang

Bronze Member
Username: Sailbyte

Post Number: 12
I just got Video Essentials to run against my JVC. Using the filters, I moved color up to 7+, otherwise everything else (in Theater mode) seemed fine to me.

When doing the brightness/contrast settings, I never did see the outermost below back level bars. Since I could see the inside 5% and 2 1/2% bars, I figure all is well at brightness level 0. But has anyone else had better luck seeing the outer below black bars?

BTW, I disabled gamma and auto color prior to running the tests.

Silver Member

Post Number: 113
angelo- So you don't have any rough text edges? I figured it must be something other then the JVC because I've never read anything derogatory about text on the JVC (other then moving on some DVDs) but I have yet to see a JVC that looks awesome in any store. So just makes it a little uneasy sometimes as I'm close to pulling the plug.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 71
Sailbyte>

>>When doing the brightness/contrast settings, I never did see the outermost below back level bars. Since I could see the inside 5% and 2 1/2% bars, I figure all is well at brightness level 0. But has anyone else had better luck seeing the outer below black bars?

It's your DVD's fault. The Denon 1910 did have the ability to set 0-IRE for black level.

+7 on color seems pretty high, but again it depends on your DVD player.

Rick,

>> So you don't have any rough text edges?

Nope, text looks really smooth both on DVD and HD. Remember, if it's getting an HD signal at 720p and the text is jaggy .. then that's what it's supposed to be .. the TV shouldn't do any processing. If the Sony was smooth, then it may be some softness inherant in the Sony.

You really need to know what you're looking at. It might be a 1080i signal which in that case it needs to be scanned down. To be sure, there is no reason for your JVC to ever deal with a 1080i signal as your Sat/Cable box will have the ability to be set to 720p.

Ang

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 369
Rick-

Don't hesitate and just go for it. I've had a Samsung 5085, 4663, and I currently have my Aunt's Hitachi 60v500 (building a stand for it) and I think the JVC has the best overall performance of them all.

Most stores I've seen around here do not have the JVC setup very good. The only place it looked really good was at Video Only in Tukwila. With the bright lights, open spaces, and crap signals make it is tough to evaluate a TV in the store.

Unregistered guest
I did it!! Got my HD-52Z575 at Best Buy. Picked it up Tuesday. Plenty of time to prepare for the Sugar Bowl.

We have the TV over the fireplace in the entertainment niche. (When building, I had the builder make the niche larger)

So far, I LOVE the TV!! HD Comcast looks amazing. Regular cable is a little fuzzy, but the cable guy said it was the signal from the box.

Waiting now to get my surround sound system and new 3:2 pulldown DVD player... sounds like I know what I am talking about, but I don't, just a good sales job!

Anyhow, for those going to Best Buy, they do indeed price match and will bargain. Deal I received from Best Buy, without much effort...

Regular Price: $3499
Sale Price: $3299

Sold to me for $3099 plus a $300 gift card. Add that to the Rewards program, I think I made out pretty well.

I've seen others on this forum who have gotten it cheaper, but I really only asked once and really didn't expect them to come down at all, so I was pleased.

So, 3 days of watching my new JVC TV, after months of research and afraid to pull the trigger for fear of something better coming along, and I am very happy with my decision.

Thanks to everyone and this forum for their advice.

Does anyone have any picture setting recommendations (I remember seeing some at one time on this forum, just too much to re-read) I am using the system as it came out of the box.

Thanks again.

-Troy

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 370
Troy-
Congrats on the TV!! Sounds like you got a good deal when you consider all the gift cards and the fact that you bought from an actual store.

I'd had my set professionally calibrated a while back and here are the settings they came up with.
Your set might vary slightly, but it should get you on the right path.

application/mswordUpload
jvc.doc (92.7 k)

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 371
Troy-

Got any pixs of your setup?

Username: Zoob

Post Number: 5
Hi folks,

After having spent a couple weeks with my 52Z585, I've noticed what seems to be spots of gunch on the inside of the screen, all in one area near the right side. The spots are always there, completely independent of source component or content. Has anyone else seen similar; and if so, have you tried removing and cleaning the screen yourself? Might be best left for a tech.

Thanks,
Mike

Unregistered guest
Mr. Lynch,

I've been reading your posts and appreciate all the good info you have provided. I am seriously
looking to get the 52" JVC. However I remember you saying that the bulb on this unit can get pretty hot. Do you think it would be a problem if this TV was inside an entertainment unit? I have an wall entertainment unit with a base for the TV and 2 side cabinets. The back of the base unit where the TV would be place is open somewhat however both sides of the TV would be enclosed by the 2 side cabinet walls. What do you think???
Also, a stupid question for a newbie like myself but if I wanted to hook up a DVD with HDMI and satellite with DVI how can I hook up both units when this TV only has one HDMI input? In the future possibly looking to add HD DVR which will probably have DVI or HDMI as well. Thanks in advance for your help.

John.

MVPinBoynton
yes it was compusa for apc ups, after rebates like Mr lynch said it has simple line conditioner I have old wiring in my home and it cleaned the PQ up.

I guess I am in the club now,

I finally got my HD hooked up from dish. PQ is excellant no problems with green push chromatic aberation, or jagged text. I am running the dish 811 with component. I have a November build black 52". I got at a local retailer for 2,650. Couldn't be more happy, geez sound like a sales rep!

Anonymous

globo, who did you buy it from??? That's a great price!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
I have a question about multiple video outputs, from a single device, and video quality.

I have all JVC components linked together with compulink. Unfortunately, JVC hardwired the 52z575 to turn on and switch to Video-1 when the JVC Amp is powered up to TV/DBS (STB). It doesn't matter how you label the inputs (a call to JVC tech support confirmed this).

I have connected my 52z575 to my Comcast Dual Tuner DVR (Mototola DCT6412) using a DVI -> HDMI cable; which means I always need to manually switch to digital-in after power-up. To keep the wife happy, I would also like to connect the DVR to the 52z575 with component cables so there will be a TV signal during single button power-up (e.g., still get a signal on V1, as well as digital in); but still have the option of using the better quality DVI-HDMI connection.

However, an instruction page from my new JVC DVD player (XVN-412s) cautions against having more than one video output (e.g., component + S-video) and claims that will reduce brillance and color signal quality.

My question is, does this make sense and would having both DVI and component connections from the DVR reduce the overall quality of the DVR signal? (I submitted this question to Morotola tech support 3 times, but have yet to get a response).

I apologize that this is not specific to the 52z575; but if anyone else has a crazy setup similar to mine -- they may have the same question.

Thanks

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 372
john-

The air intake and output are located in the rear of the set. As long as they are not blocked you should be fine. The biggest concern would be that the hot air from the TV gets sucked back in preventing the bulb from staying cool. It would lead to a short bulb life. If you have enough room to allow good fresh air circulation you should have no problem.

Username: Hdguy

Post Number: 1
I just purchased the 61Z585. It looks poor with Time Warner cable and Time Warner's HD box only allows 1 component connection and no others. I will need to upgrade to Dish or Direct TV.

My current concern is that the TV seems to have some of the issues I have read about here. I can see 1 stuck pixel and about 10 dead ones. Is this about as good as I can expect ?

On a light blue screen I can also see a 1/2 inch slit in the inner screen near the bottom left and it appears that there is either a discolorization on the inner screen or someone wiped it and left streaks. I assumed the inner screen would be a consistent black.

I also noticed that during DVD playback through the HDMI connection at 1080i, sometimes the black broke into dark purple. I was watching a movie that had a lot of blacks in it and it did not always do that.

I also must say my Avia guide to home theater is not here yet so maybe calibration will help with some, but mostly I am concerned about the blacks going purple and the slit / smudges / discolorization of the inner screen. Am I being too picky about this or should I get service in to work on it ?

Anonymous,

I am in pacific northwest there is a video outlet called Video Only that has these good prices.

Now that I am happy with my JVC it is on to audio equipment. geez I spent four months on forums to decide on the HDTV. Now I find I am so far behind in the audio world here we go again.

I thank everyone in the forum for all the helpful info on making sense of all this.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 72
Bought the new HDMI Sony DVP-NS975V

When I returned the Denon 1910 to Tweeter, they didn't have anything else in stock (the last day of the year .. no surprise there).

The waiting list for most upscaling DVD players was Feb, but he did have a floor unit of the new Sony on the shelf (always just sat there no hooked up to anything). He gave me an even trade which equated to a $50 discount on the Sony.

Anyway, I think the picture is superior to the Denon 1910, the tendency toward green is much reduced .. but not completely eliminated.

The DVD has all the hi-end controls that you'd expect on a DVD player in the +$250 range including ...

- SA-CD
- HDMI with independent optical audio outputs
independed brightness, contrast, color, tint and sharpness controls (so that you can leave your TV settings alone)
- 0 IRE black level settings

Also, for those who have home theater receivers that don't offer a lot of speaker setup settings, you can model the speakers in this unit as well as setup speaker levels and delays.

So, I'd say my 1st impression of this DVD unit is very good. I did read some complain about responsiveness .. but it's been lightning quick and the menu system is straight forward, easy to access and feature full.

I lent out my DVE DVD and will get it back tonight, so I'll give you an update after I have an opportunity to tune my system with this new component.

I don't have an HDMI-HDMI cable and right now am looking at 480p going into the JVC via component. The scaler in the Sony is 12-bit (as opposed to 10-bit in the JVC and Denon 1910) so I'm hoping that this will prove to be an excellent picture.

I'll let everyone know as soon as I do.

Ang

Bronze Member

Post Number: 73
Gerry,

>> also noticed that during DVD playback through the HDMI connection at 1080i, sometimes the black broke into dark purple. I was watching a movie that had a lot of blacks in it and it did not always do that.

You really should send the unit images at its native 720p and not 1080i. You just introduce errors when you send it 1080i.

Also, if you've been following my posts you'll see that I've found quite a big difference in picture performance based on the DVD player and DVD used. It's hard to separate what is the TV's fault and what's the DVD or DVD player. The only thing that I've come down to is to watch HD programming on Comcast and see if I can see that same "issues" (whatever they may be). If not, then I'm tending toward the DVD of DVD player's fault.

Ang

Post Number: 2
Thanks for responding Ang. After I posted I did look at the Time Warner HD channel and I did not see the blacks break up so I think you are spot on with the DVD player. I also watched two different DVD's last night and saw significant difference in the performance between the two.

I tried both 1080i and 720p as you mentioned (I just got the whole setup and am playing around to find the best combinations). The blacks broke up in either setting although it did seem 1080i was a little worse.

The DVD player is a ~$250 Toshiba DVD/VCR combo box. I thought it would be good enough via a digital connection but maybe not.

I hope I haven't added to the detractors of the JVC in this thread. I am impressed with the set particularly on HD. I viewed the JVC, an Hitachi LCD and a Mits DLP with HD2+ (or whatever) all side by side in the store and the JVC was clearly better at any angle or distance.

I changed my settings to match some listed here (Mr. Lynch I think) and things were better. I am getting there; although, still a little concerned about the inner screen thing.

Thanks for the tip Ang

Username: Johannson

I've been having problems the last couple of days with my HDMI input. When I first purchased my JVC, I output a 480p signal from my DVD player, since that is what the JVC requires to enable the HDMI connection. After initially connecting, I thought I switched my DVD output to 720p. Two days ago the HDMI input would not work with "Day After Tomorrow". I finally re-established my HDMI connection with an older DVD and using a 480p connection. Again the HDMI connection failed with "Day After Tomorrow".

Questions:

1. Does the disk have encryption which disables the HDMI software?

2. Is my HDMI hardware/software going out on my JVC?

3. The JVC user guide says that a 480p signal must be outputted to through the HDM1 to make it work. Obviously, HD signals make full use of the native 720p resolution of the JVC through the component connectio, so what concept am I missing relative to the HDMI input and the 480p requirement?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Anonymous

I received my 52z575 two days ago...out of the box the SD looked just normal, and i'm still waiting to get my HD PVR, so no input on that yet. I do have one MAJOR problem though, last night I watched return of the king and noticed a purple glow or dot in the center of the screen in very dark, or dark sceens, i thought i was just imagining it, so i didn't say anything. Tonight we watched the manchurian candidate, and it was worse. It looked more like a half circle or horse shoe now, again in dark or very dark scenes. I paused it and asked everyone else if they saw it and they did (and it was now very promenent). I am using a samsung dvd-p231 progressive scan player, with monster component cables. I tried the movie in both 525i and 525p, and with all kinds of other settings, as well as tv settings... it didn't go away!! The only good news is that i do not see the purple glow when watching SDTV. I am really hoping its the dvd player, but if anyone has any info, I would love to hear....I am FREAKING OUT!!

Anonymous

I have just finished watching some more SDTV and have seen the purple glow, although less noticable, its still there. I couldn't pause TV so I am posting a pic of a paused movie, stepford wives....any help would be greatly appreciated..

Anonymous

The PIC was too large, so if anyone wants to see it let me know i'll email it to u. Thanks again in advance!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 74
JVC D-ILA and HDMI Sony DVP-NS975V DVD Report

I got my DVE disk back from my buddy and did the adjustment.

1st thing .. I was actually able to make the adjustment and had the ability to get all the colors in balance (480p output on component).

The image is much more stable, realistic than with the Denon. This Sony is a keeper .. and by the way .. my friend has the Denon 2910 .. and even after the "firmware update", we still couldn't balance the greens. So I'd say that the Sony is the best DVD that I've seen so far and at under $300, probably the best deal going.

>> my green screen

OK, JVC asked me to take some pics and e-mail them which I did on my wife's new Canon 7.1mp S70. I reduced the images to 320x240 so here there are.

Pic#1 is a closeup of Morpheus .. see the greenish tint? (702p HD Comcast Source via component)

Upload

Pic#2 is of a football coach ... see the tendency to green on his shoulder in the bright white? (same source)

Upload

Pic#3 is a closeup of a white grid test pattern from the DVE disk .. which should be a several white pixels wide. See the green/red edges (DVD source at 480p via component).

Upload

Pic#4 is a a veru closeup of the grey sweep/beep pattern ... see the greenish tinted bands in the dark areas

Upload

Hi folks,

I'd like to fix my "screen smudge" issue: small splotches of something on the inside of the screen which are noticeable during bright constant-color scenes. As I'm still in the 30-day exchange window, I can either exchange it or have it repaired under warranty. Since I've noticed no other issue with the set (other than red and green being a little bit hot - which might be inherit attributes), I'm leaning towards warranty repair. I'd hate to get a set in exchange that had more issues. Mine's a November build. Recommendations? Anyone else had this issue?

Thanks,
Mike

Me again,

Just thought I'd share my thoughts about upgrading my DVD player to go with my new 52Z585. I did a bunch of research here on ecoustics, over at avsforum, and also the great DVD benchmark survey done by Secrets of Home Theater and Hi Fidelity (www.hometheaterhifi.com). I learned more about interlacing, progressive scan, upconverting, MPEG chips, macroblocking, "chroma bug", and a lot of issues people were seeing with their recent DVD players. Well, since I haven't noticed such issues with my current 2.5 yr. old player (Toshiba SD-5700), I decided to open it up to see what chip/s it has: a Zoran Vaddis 5...then went through the DVD benchmark survey again and found that players with this chip did well! - it does have the chrma bug; but many chips/players apparently do. So, as I was readying myself to buy a new HDMI-supporting, upconverting player, I changed my mind and decided that the SD-5700 outputting 480i and hooked up via plain old component is good enough - and maybe even better than some/most sub $500 players out there. What's the point of this? What you already have might be better than what you would "upgrade to". Just FYI, I was leaning towards a Denon DVD-2900 (DVD-V, DVD-A, SACD; component output).

Mike

ELH
Unregistered guest
Nuknukbadugga,

I had a similar problem... I called them "smudges"... I noticed that they disappearted after about 1 hour of on-time, then would re-appear after the set had been off for a while..

JVC service requested pictures, then replaced the screen when they replaced the light engine (I had a July build and the "green problem").

The new screen has the same problem, but the smudges are in a different location... With both the light engine change and the screen change, it is hard to tell where they originate...

The service guys took the new screen back off and looked for dust or marks on the inside surface, but couldn't find anything...

I'm beginning to wonder if the smudges may be "fingerprints" on the lens of the light engine that attract condensation, only to evaporate when heated, only to appear later when cooled???

I told JVC service that I could live with them for now... but would need something done if they got worse...

Ed

HD-61Z575

Post Number: 8
ELH,

Thanks for your response! I just rechecked my set (it's been on for a couple hours now) using some of the bright background tests on the Avia disc and the smudges are almost totally gone. I can see one slightly; but, overall, much improved over when it's "cold". Interesting. I'll try to live with it for now...curious to see how long it needs to warm up before they go away.

Thanks!
Mike

Anonymous

Misc. Problems? Are anybody's various problems with their tvs real problems that prevents them from watching or are people mostly nitpicking because they want a perfect tv and only notice things a foot from the tv which no one actually watches from. I understand that spending $3,000 on a tv isn't a small chunk of change, but it sounds like every single RPTV (DLP, LCD, CRT, etc) out there have various problems. Are the JVCs any worse or better?

Bronze Member
Username: Condor

Post Number: 47
Anonymous,

In my opinion the JVC's are better. Many competing brands have DOA issues or they die within days (based on message board feedback).

As far as seeing green glow, I have noticed it at times but it appears to be source related rather than the TV. Switch channels or put in another DVD and the picture is perfect.

Dead pixels or smudges? I watch from a 10 foot distance and wear progressive glasses, picture seems excellent to me. I took a look for dead pixels with my nose up to the JVC's screen, didn't see any and felt kinda foolish.

The JVC is great, the picture is excellent and I wouldn't trade it for any RPTV on the market today.

Jim

Bronze Member

Post Number: 75
Nuknukbadugga,

>> DVD

I've been keeping everyone up on my DVD quest for my JVC. You should go back and look at my past posts.

I've had all the following upscaling, HDMI/DVI DVD's hooked-up to my TV and tested with DVE...

Toshiba 5790
Denon 1910
Denon 2910 (pre and post firmware upgrade)
Sony NS975V

I used them all with DVE setup DVD.

The Denons both tended toward green and was unable to balance the color/tint .. though the 2910 did have a nicer/smoother picture than the 1910.

The Toshiba did not have a 0-IRE black setting (true black), was maddening slow to respond to the remote, and didn't provide any better of a picture (IMO) as the upscaler in the JVC.

The Sony (the one that I'll be keeping) seems to be the best so far (even better than the MUCH more expensive Denon 1910).

- Quick response to remote and a good menu structure
- 0-IRE
- HDMI and optical/coax digital out
- 12-bit video processing
- I was able to get a very good color balance using DVE (closer than any other)
- like the Denons, the Sony has it's own picture setup ability (color, tint, brightness, color temp, etc ..) .. so you can leave the TV at its best setting for cable/sat and use the DVD to tweek the picture settings.
- <$300.

So that's what I'm suggesting. The proof in the pudding for me are 2 flicks ... Master and Commander (scene "The Storm) and VanHeltzing (the scene in the village where he fights "the brides"). Very dark and busy scenes.

Ang

Bronze Member

Post Number: 76
>> The Sony (the one that I'll be keeping) seems to be the best so far (even better than the MUCH more expensive Denon 1910).

Oops .. I meant to say the "MUCH more expensive Denon 2910. The 1910 is about the same price as the Sony.

Ang

Bronze Member
Username: Markus

Post Number: 24
Ang,

I have been experiencing the same tendancy to green that you are describing. A tech is coming out tomorrow to take a look at my set. When I spoke to someone about the excessive green in the pic he suggested it could be a convergence issue.

I will let you know what the tech has to say tomorrow. I'm hoping he has a solution.

I notice it mostly while watching DVD's but see it while watching HD as well, just not at the same level.

Mark

Silver Member

Post Number: 114
Mark, I am under the impression there is no 'convergence' on these sets as the lenses are fixed to their position permanently.

angelo- I kinda see you issue, not sure if it would bother me. Keep us informed of your progress. As for the aberration with the green/purple pixels, it's on a lot of TVs, (crts anyways) but isn't as pronounced. I'm not sure why the JVC has it more then the others but I have seen the JVC and don't see the issue further then 5' away.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 374
You can adjust the convergence on the JVC. It is fairly simple to do and it covered in the Service Manual. All you need is the remote.

Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Mr. Lynch,

Thankyou. I'll check this out. I have the service manual (thanks to you) but don't want to mess with it till after the technician has been out. Have you ever experienced what I like to call "Green Teeth'? Let's see if that catches on! ; - )

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 375
Either I don't have a "green" issue, or I just don't have an issue with it. Everything looks damn good to me.

I'm just like Jim, sitting 10ft back I don't see or notice any color or convergence problems. Getting within a few inches I can pick out lots of flaws, but then the TV wasn't designed to be viewed that close.

Ddennis80
Unregistered guest
Mr. Lynch, thanks for all your help, i have been reading this post for a while, I am the guy who posted the problem with the purple glow!! It is definetly a problem because JVC is sending a tech out this week, and by the way I like to sit about 12 or 13 feet away, so I am not just trying to pick out issues. I have also received my HD PVR and the HD is awesome I am watching the sugar bowl right now!! Although the purple is there, it is very hard to see during bright scenes, like a football game. One thing I have noticed is the purple is growing in size, and its only in one specific spot.

Also I would love to get the service manual from you, if possible, let me know if your willing to e-mail it to me at ddennis80@hotmail.com

I will keep you guys posted as to what the tech says...also my set is a december build.

Thanks everyone,
Dennis

Bronze Member

Post Number: 78
Mr. L,

>> Getting within a few inches I can pick out lots of flaws, but then the TV wasn't designed to be viewed that close.

I wouldn't be complaining if I didn't see the green tendency in the images consistantly. The nose to the screen was only an attempt to discover clues to what may be at the heart of the larger issue.

JVC now has the full res versions of those screen shots and I am awaiting their feedback.

Ang

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Yup,

This isn't a nose to the screen problem. I am sitting 10 feet back as well and the green tinge is very apparent from this distance. I am very happy overall with the TV and assume this one issue can be addressed. Hopefully tomorrow.

ELH
Unregistered guest
Angelo,

You posted:

>I've had all the following upscaling, HDMI/DVI DVD's hooked-up to my TV and tested with DVE...
>
>Toshiba 5790
>Denon 1910
>Denon 2910 (pre and post firmware upgrade)
>Sony NS975V
>
>I used them all with DVE setup DVD.
>
>
>The Sony (the one that I'll be keeping) seems to be the best so far (even better than the MUCH more expensive Denon 2910).

I have requested an RA number from Crutchfield to return my Denon 1910 as I have not been able to resolve the DVI sync issue (sounds like many others have the same problem)...

I have read that the PQ of the Sony NS775V is quite good and since the JVC has it's own upscaler, I wonder if you have compared this vs the upscaler in the Sony NS975V? The NS775V can be purchased for about $100 and the only diffence appears to be the upscaler and the HDMI output....

Just wondering?

Thanks,

Ed

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 376
Mark/Ang/Dennis-

My post wasn't directed at you guys, just a statement about how some people are more sensitive to problems then others. I've seen a few JVC store display sets with a very apparent green problem that was noticable from 10+ feet
away. My parents have a 10 year RP CRT that looks absolutely horrible that I can't bear to watch but they still love it.

Looking though the service manual I notice that only the red and the blue are adjustable. Hopefully something can be done to correct the green issue. If anyone one gets an answer it would be great to hear.

Back to the SugarBowl in HD!!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 79
ELH,

As far as I can tell, the Sony's DVD decoding is superior to all the mentioned DVD players I've tested in that it is seems at least as smooth as both Denon's but the color decoding is more balanced.

It also has the added benefit of supporting SA-CD. As Tweeter gave me a direct exchange for the 1910, I got a fairly good deal on it, though I've seen it on the net for under $250.

Ang

Bronze Member

Post Number: 80
Mr. L,

>> My post wasn't directed at you guys,

No problemo. I think the most telling image is the gray sweep-beep pattern. You can clearly see banding in the lower grey scale, but also the greenish tint on only sertain grey levels. Also notice that the brightness on the edges of those gray levels are higher, making the banding effect worse. I guess this could be due to a misalignment or possibly that the green has a different lumanance curve than the other colors that isn't getting properly compensated for. Or this could be from the DVD decoding.

Again, it sure could be nice if the HD cable boxes had built in test patterns.

Upload

Username: Murk

Hey, does this jvc tv work perfect for video games? unlike most lcd/dlp's

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
I played XBOX on mine for the first time this weekend and it looked good. What kind of problems are you talking about?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 81
Bob,

The JVC doesn't have the lag issues that the processing causes on the DLP's and doesn't have the burn-in seen on the CRT's and Plasmas.

It's a great set for games.

Ang

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 378
Bob-
Ang is right on. I play Xbox games on my set daily without any problems. Even when I play Dreamcast games using the RCA cables, everything works smoothly.
I've tried playing on my friends Sammy HLP4663 and the response lag makes it impossible to play games very smoothly. Playing games on my Aunt's Hitachi 60v500 is tough too due to motion blur.
The JVC is definitely the way to go for videogames.

Ang-

I can see the banding in your pic. Is that test pattern from DVE?

Last night I when I was about to turn my set off, I notice a slight green glow in the upper right hand corner. I immediately tried out both Star Wars, and LOTR: ROTK and on dark scenes and the blacks stayed black. There was no evidence of any "green" influence. Very weird...

Username: Fourbyracer

Cathedral City, CA United States

Hello everyone, I have been a reader for a while but this is my first post. I bought the JVC HD-52Z5752 two weeks ago mostly after reading this board. It is a June 2004 build. I got it for $2709 at Best Buy (price match with Office Depot). I have the video settings set to the same as the member on this board that had the professional set theirs up (just as a baseline). I am using audioquest cables that came from the magnolia room in Best Buy. I do have a couple of problems and questions.

1. I am having a sound convergence problem with all inputs including HDMI and component, and it occurs on HD and regular TV and DVD's. The picture is behind the sound--like watching a dubbed movie. Any ideas?

2. I get pretty bad greens in dark areas and in some light areas. For example, blond hair has a green tint in Lord of the Rings 2--in the end scenes.

3. I haven't seen anyone mention the LG DVD Upconvert player. Am I the only one with it?

I am very close to sending the TV back--the sound issue is pretty bad. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 380
There are many issues with the June Built sets. All of which you seem to be expiriencing. Exchanged the set for a more recent build. Most, if not all of the issues have been addressed. Anything built from August on should be good.

I have never heard of a sound sync issue with the JVC. Anyone else ever hear of it? I know it is very common with DLP.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
I have noticed that when watching a DVD, with a dark scene and dark skinned actor (e.g., Man on Fire), that some facial features appear dark green to me (could be power of suggestion from reading about all the problems). I haven't noticed any green glows or other issues noted here. Is this to be expected or am I experiencing the green problem discussed so frequently on this board? Is there some other tests I could run to verify the problem (didn't notice it during the DVE pattern tests)?

I changed the settings to match those provided by Mr. Lynch (although I independently came up with the same color setting of 7 using DVE). I have noticed this both with Comcast HDTV using the dual turner DVR (DVI->HDMI) and my JVC 412S DVD player (component). My 52z575 is a September build.

Username: Ahseng

Bay Area, CA USA

I finally pull the trigger and bought a HD-61Z575 over the New Year weekend. I paid $3500 for it at the local GG. It has been a long journey - started looking at the sammy DLP and then the JVC D-iLA. Read too many horror postings about the sammy DLP. Glad to have come across this forum. Want to thanks this forum for all the useful postings and helpful hints.

The TV was delivered yesterday. It is a Nov build. So far I am happy with the set accept for a few minor defects found - 1 dead green color pixel, a speck of dust (I think), and a what looks like a short thread in the screen. Are these defects common? Not sure if I should return the set. What do you think?

I had order a DVE and will be calibrating the set. For now I had used Mr. Lynch's setting (thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge) and the pq is great.

I don't have HD reception yet. I do have directv but will be trying Comcast because I am not willing to pop $850 for a Directv DVR, and the trouble to find a working OTA antennae for local HD programs. Comcast is coming tomorrow and I will get to compare it with Directv's SD pq on the JVC.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 82
Mr. L.

>> I can see the banding in your pic. Is that test pattern from DVE?

Yes .. some of the patterns way in the back of the DVD. You can not only see that the lumanence ramp isn't smooth but also at certain discreet values, green pushes thru.

Again .. there is no way to distinguish this from the DVD player or TV. What I'm showing is from the DVD at 480p and using the JVC scaler .. so I'd hope that'd minimize the DVD's influence.

Ang

Bronze Member

Post Number: 83
Ahseng, Sailbyte and Steve-0

>> green issues

There seems to be two separate issues here ..

#1) Some pre-August sets had a bad light engine which created a greeen nebula

#2) The appearant tendency of my set to take dark greys to green (and thus also effect other colors in shadow).

The solutions for #1 were to get a newer set or get the light engine swapped.

What I've found with #2 is that it seems very dependent on the source and the research of the problem has lead me to understand how drastically the DVD player can have an influence.

I've detailed my DVD tests in previous posts and each DVD player had drastically different color performance and ability to balance (with the Denon's unable to get to a balanced solution with the JVC).

I believe this is an JVC-DVD interaction issue though, as other sets don't seem to have the same sensitivity to the DVD players output.

So here's what I'd suggest to determine if you have an issue.

#1) Use true HD signal .. Cable/Sat and watch a football game. If you have a PVR even better as you can stop the image on select scenes.

#2) Using a wide shot of the scrimage line

--- adjust the contrast so that the white jerseys don't bloom
--- adjust the tint so that both black and white skin has the correct tone
---adjust the color setting so that the field isn't too green or the white skin tones aren't too pink.
--- wait for a scene of the stadium and adjust the brightness so that you can't see any video noise in the dark areas (1st shot)
--- now look closely at well lit white skin .. if it looks "puddy-ish", pull back the contrast further.

Now fine tune brightness with an HD movie ... look at the dark scenes and bring brightness down just until you loose all the noise in the black.

Fine tune color and tint with black and white skin tones.

If you have a green tinting issue, you will not be able to to remove the tendency toward green in shadows and in bright white without adjusting the entire image too far into the red (neg tint setting).

Be sure not to have your Contrast too high as my test have shown that the set tends toward green when it is over driven in contrast. My HD contrast setting is now at -17, Brightness +10.

For the DVD, you can use DVE or Avia. My DVD settings are drastically different than the Cable/Sat input if I make the adjustments in the TV. As the Sony DVD allows for picture adjustments in it, I'm experimenting with making them in the DVD instead of the TV.

Ang

Silver Member

Post Number: 115
Mr Lynch- I'm totally flabbergasted. I have read dozens of statements that the JVC did not have convergence nor was it possible to adjust. Wow. So does that mean you can adjust the aberration?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 381
The adjustments you can make are similar to what can be adjusted with LCD rear projection. It isn't as drastic as with a RP CRT. You can move the red and the blue 1 pixel at a time in any direction. You can also adjust the "centering". The TV provides the test pattern needed so it is a very simple adjustment. I think it is one of the more useful and user friendly parts of the service menu.

Silver Member

Post Number: 116
New JVC's coming out, two of them are 1080p-

Late in the year's third quarter, JVC will ship the 61-inch HD-61FH96 and 70-inch HD-70FH96, which offer resolution of 1080p using a 1920 x 1080 (over 2 million pixels x 3 panels), 0.7-inch D-ILA device. Both will offer dual HDMI inputs, and the 70-inch model will also include a memory card slot.

Model Available

HD-70G886 March

HD-61Z886/786 March

HD-56G886/786 June

HD-52G886/786 July

HD-70FH96 Fall

HD-61FH96 Fall

Post Number: 3
Ahseng,

I don't think you are being too picky; although, it seemes we have annoyed a couple of people here. I have most of the same issues you have mentioned plus some type of dirt or "wipe down" residue on the bottom half of my screen. This is very apparent from a distance of about 12 feet when the screen is displaying lighter colored backgrounds. Interesting what you called a "thread" I called a "1/2 slit" in the bottom left area of my inner screen. HHGREGG is coming out on the 15th to look at the set. I plan to keep mine, but I would like to get a new inner screen. I examined both a 52" and 61" at the store and I did not see the inner screen smearing or tear issues mine has. I would say if you have any concerns about your set then call in service. I wouldn't replace it with a model from a different manufacturer though. Once this set is professionally calibrated and the inner screen issues are corrected I doubt any other set in the ~$3500 range can compare.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 386
Gerry-

My first set (June build) had quite a few problems with the screen. There were hair looking things, smudges and thumbprints, and what looked like dirt and lint. My August set is pretty much void of all these issues. It is extrememly easy to remove the front protective screen and clean it up if people don't wan't to wait for a tech.

I had my set professionally calibrated a few months ago and it looks outstanding. None of my friends LCDs or DLPs even come close to it. If you can find a ISF tech to callibrate your set for around $200, I think it is worth it. Even without it the JVC is still an outstanding set.

Bay Area, CA USA

Gerry,
Mine defects can only be seen from real close and you have to look real hard to find them. I will be interested to find out what HHGREGG can do to fix your problems. Given yours can be seen from 12' I definitely will see the problem get fix. I will wait before the 30 days return policy expire to see if other problem do crop up to decide if I want to return the set for a new JVC.

Mr. Lynch,
I tried to get to the RGB box pattern per your manual posting but fail. Any idea? Wondering if anyone has the same problem. Mine set is a Nov build.

Bay Area, CA USA

Post Number: 3
Mr. Lynch, what is an ISF tech and where is a good place to start finding a reliable tech?

Anyone know of a good contact in the bay area, CA, who can professionally calibrate a JVC set?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 387
ISF is short for "Imaging Science Foundation".
You can read all about it @ www.imagingscience.com

Their website has a "trained dealers" section where you can find a certified tech in your area. There are a ton of them in the Bay Area.

Silver Member

Post Number: 117
angelo- great tips for the green issue.

Username: Juan_sarda

Miami, Fl USA

Question for Rick Lyon, where did you get info on the JVC 70-inch HD-70FH96, please let me know where I can see a picture & info on both 61in & 70in, I called JVC on 1-4-05 they said they were canceling the HD-61Z795, do you have any info

Malcolm
Unregistered guest
Re: Exciting possibility of a JVC 1080i model.
I would be very interested to see an objective assessment of how a 720p transmission looks when upverted to 1080i. Does anyone have input on this?
Thanks

Anonymous

Malcom, you need to go back and read entire forum to understand that 720P is Higher resolution than 1080i

Silver Member

Post Number: 118
Sorry, I should have posted the link-

http://www.jvc.com/press/press.jsp?item=445

Malcolm, it's 1080p, not 1080i.

Silver Member

Post Number: 119
Oh and a picture here- http://www.jvc.com/Resources/DocumentImages/00/00/00/98.JPG

Username: Juan_sarda

Miami, Fl USA

Rick, Looks pretty good, I guess thats why they canceled the HD-61Z795, know the question is can I wait that long, currently have a non/HD mitshu 40 inch Picturetube (one of the 1st 40in tubes from 1996) still looks great but really wanted a new HD-61Z575 or HD-61Z795.

Mr. Lynch

I started reading this board around mid November and I saw some of the discussion regarding the inner screen issues. I did see the thumbprints / smudges on the first 52" I looked at in the store. When I walked into HHGREGG I had done research and was going to buy a Toshiba. When I got there that JVC jumped right out and blew away anything in my under 4K price range even with the prints and smudges. In fact it smoked all but a few of the higher end Plasmas.

I would take my current set with no changes over anything I have seen. Hands down no question. Oh BTW - my set is a November build and has not exhibited any of the other things I have seen here. No doubt I am extremely happy I bought this one.

I am also new to Microdisplays. I had the same Magnovox 46" 4x3 set for the last 15 years. I want to thank you for all of the info you provide here. Your help is invaluable and I have tried and agree with everything you have said. I did think about cleaning it myself, but I am terrified I will somehow mess it up! :-)

Thanks for the calibration link also. I plan to have that done ASAP. I am glad it is only $200. I have heard some of the Mits's get as high as $800. The only thing I am disappointed about is the info coming out about the 05 models. I want one already! :-)

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 388
I messed around in the service menu tonight. It was very simple to correct a slight convergence problem I had, and I also moved the whole picture over 2 pixels so it is dead center now.
When you enter the service menu, hit the sleep timer then press "display" and "video status" before the video timer info disappears.
DVE has some great test patterns you can use to adjust the centering and check the convergence. You can go in, mess around and exit without messing anything up. It will only save the settings if you press the "mute" button. If you don't hit mute after adjusting, the values will reset when you turn the TV off.

I've known about the upcoming 1080p sets for sometime now, but I did not want to wait. There is really no way to take advantage of 1080p now, or even in the forseeable future. Until the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray battle gets settled, we won't see much support for either format. Remember, it took DVDs close to 10 years to become mainstream. HDTV broadcast support 720p and 1080i. No one uses or will use 1080p for along time. The bandwidth needed is just too large. 1080i signals already get compressed 40 to 1 to fit the FCC mandated maximum broadcast bandwidth of 18mbps. 720p are compressed about 35 to 1. I've seen a $15,000 1080p JVC Dila projector and I was quite impressed, but all they had to watch was a short 3 minute clip.

Spending a couple thousand more than I already did to get the newest technology just doesn't make sense to me right now. Maybe in 5 years 1080p will become more of a standard, but until then I'll sit back and enjoy the 720p set I already drool at daily.

Sorry for the long post, just throwing my opinion out there.

Post Number: 8
I couldn't agree more with your logic Mr. Lynch. Some of the very reasons why I have been thouroughly enjoying my D-ILA for the last two months rather than waiting for the 1080p.

Bay Area, CA USA

Mr. Lynch,

> When you enter the service menu, hit the sleep timer then press "display" and "video status" before the video timer info disappears.

This helps. I am now able to get to the RGB pattern box. My problem was I did not hit the menu key first. Thanks.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Hey,

Had a service person come out on Tuesday and hook up a pattern generator to my JVC (in response to my green teeth issue). I sat there with him and tried to point out the excessive green but couldn't really find it in the test patterns he proiduced. He said everything looked exactly as it should and I couldn't prove him wrong. I could not reproduce the problems I was seeing.

He suggested the TV may have to run for awhile before we saw it. I guess I'll attempt to 'tune' it out as best I can. What frustrated me is he said he consulted with a JVC rep and they agreed that it was impossible for the TV to be adding too much green to the picture. That's horse pucky! There are three different chips. Why couldn't one be overstating it's portion of the picture?

Well, bottom line I'm going to get a DVE and tune it myself. Can anybody suggest a good place to pick up a DVE or Avia? Is one better than the other?

Mark

Silver Member

Post Number: 120
Amazon.com- either will work.

Mr Lynch- The 1080p won't be an option for most, because like Sony and Panny, their 1080p sets will only be as small as 60"-70". That's ridiculous! No 50" 1080p? Anyways, I think it's more tempting to wait for the second gen. I'm still leaning but not ready to spend the cash yet. If it takes me a month or so to be ready for it, I'd only be another 2 -3 months away from the newer model. A tough call for sure.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 84
Mark,

>> That's horse pucky! There are three different chips. Why couldn't one be overstating it's portion of the picture?

You are absolutely right and you can see that in the picture I posted. Service tech's, cable guys, etc .. they are used to dealing with a public that doens't have a clue and can quickly move to Know-it-all mode. The problem is that some aren't able to deal with a knowledgable customer.

Ang

Bronze Member

Post Number: 85
More of the curse of the green tint.

OK, I got a new HDMI-HDMI cable last night and was abley to hook up the Sony DVD player simulataneously via HDMI @720p and component @480p.

Under HDMI, I'm again having a problem getting the green to balance when using DVE, color bars and the filters. Flip to component, and I can get it very balanced.

I'm now wondering if part of the issue is the HDMI input on the JVC. Or of course, it could be that the HDMI out of the Sony is tweeked. No way of telling.

I going to flip and play. Maybe put my Comcast on HDMI and the DVD on component in the end.

I'll try taking pictures thru the filters and show you what I'm talking about.

Ang

Malcolm
Unregistered guest
Thanks Anonymous for your input, but I was wondering if the 720p resolution (with less motion artifacts) would severely suffer in the upconverting process i.e., which would be the wiser buy 720p or 1080p? I guess few people know since most 1080 sets are CRT i's, not p's!

Thanks Rick Lyon for your correction and the link
M

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
There are 1080p crt televisions? What would be the point?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 389
Ang-

I was talking to my tech friend last night and he thinks you might be able to fix your green problem yourself. He said all you need is a copy of DVE, and an upscaling DVD player. In the service manual when it asks for a 1125i signal, set your player to broadcast in 1080i. 525i use 480i.
When you first go into the service manual select option 1. ADJUST. Then go to value SO31 (g drive)and you can mess with the green levels. You can't hurt the TV, just make sure you don't hit "muting" unless you want your changes saved.

You can also easily adjust 7 of main adjustments yourself. Convergence, center position, 525i A-D offset, 1125i brightness, 1125i A-D adjustment, subscreen A-D adjustment and white balance.
The first 2 are very simple to adjust, and the other 5 take a bit more knowledge, but if you take your time you can get good results. I don't think messing with this stuff is for everyone, but you (ang) seem to be pretty confortable messing with your set. Good luck!!

Most service techs have a majority of their experience with CRTs, and really have no experience with Microdisplays (DLP/LCoS/LCD). It is tough to find someone who has worked with any of these sets.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us