Pioneer Elite PRO-530HDI CRT vs. Sony KF-50WE610 LCD

Username: Sbul

Post Number: 1
Hello, everyone. I am new here and would like to get some opinions on these two sets, particularly the Elite, as I have not auditioned one. I currently own the Sony, and it's a love-hate relationship. I am quite pleased with it's video quality for DVDs and HD, but for standard cable broadcasts it (forgive me) blows. I have a 52" RCA that's 10 years old in another part of the house that looks better. Other annoyances are: fan whir at low volume levels and poor black representation (LCD quirk). Couple these problems with the bulb issue that everyone's yammering about and I'm kind of sorry I didn't return this within the 30 day grace period. Anywho....
I have Elite components in this room connected with Firewire and am considering the Elite CRT display. My wife is all for having matching units-who am I to object?
Does anyone have one of these or has seen one? Are there any issues with the Elite I should know about? How is the DVD/HD when compared to say an LCD display? I know the disadvantages in general of a rear-projection unit (weight, convergence, etc.), but the price of these units look awful good when you start looking at the Elite plasmas.
What do you think? Thanks.

Anonymous

Steven, I currently own the KF-50WE610 and I want to say mine does a good job at SDTV, but there's no comparison with DVD & OTA HD broadcast.
Even though I have digital cable, some of the channels are still analog. Yes, the analog channels can look shabby at times, but switch to a digital channel & your close to DVD quality.
I have a few friends who own other brands of LCD Projections & RPTV, and they would trade with me anyday of the week........

Username: Sbul

Post Number: 2
Anon: Thanks.
As I said, I can't fault the DVD/HD quality.
I've just spent the last couple of hours reading lamp-issue threads. I'm going to check my S/N ASAP. Have you had any issues?
Purchased mine in Nov. and haven't had any problems (yet). Not looking forward to it.....

Anonymous

I purchased mine in early December and hadn't had a buzz or lamp problem. I did check my SN & it looks like I'm OK. I use Standard Mode, Mild Mode=OFF, NR-Low, DRC=HD, Palette=2 & Color Temp=Neutral. Contrast, Brightness & Sharpness are set wrong from factory.
I tried running my analog cable through a HD Tuner & channels look too grainy. So I'm running them back 480i so DRC can do it's job.
For what's it worth, I had one friend who has a Toshiba 34" HD CRT & running DirecTV with HD. He still claims the 50WE610 has him beat on PQ for both SD, DVD & HD programs. He thought my black levels look real good, but I had better colors.
I used Video Essentials and that helped me get the setting more correct than factory presets.

Steven B
Unregistered guest
Checked my S/N last night- mfg date is Oct., S/N is 9015xxx. From what I've read, it's from the problem batch. Glad I bought the BB 4 yr warranty....
I to adjusted my set w/ Video Essentials. It does help w/ the black levels, but we do a lot of day-time viewing in that room (6 yr old) so I usually bump it up to "vivid" during the day, if there's too much ambient light.
Read somewhere a reference to a "digital" Video Essentials- is this something new?
I'm digressing from the thread topic.... still would like some opinions on the Elite PRO-530HDI. I don't plan to get rid of the Sony, it would be an addition. Thanks!!

Bronze Member
Username: Hampshire

Post Number: 14
I also bought my 50WE610 in November. It has a build date in October and was one of the supposedly bad serial numbers. I'm completely happy with it and have had no problems. I do use the remote to power on/off, I do allow it to power up and shut down properly, it is in a well ventilated cooler part of the house. No problems yet.
While BBY told me it had a 90day labor 1year parts warranty, I found the warranty in the box to be 1year labor 1year parts. I figure if it really is defective it will die within the first year and they'll be fixing it anyway.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us