EDTV Better than HDTV for DVD?

Username: Justintoxicated

Post Number: 4
If all HDTV's including CRT's that are 1080i Cannot show ANY progressive scan signal then it should also be true that 480p would look better on an EDTV than a 1080i HD TV since it would have to convert the signal to a 480i signal on the 1080i HD?

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
1080i native displays can show a progressive image, you have either misconstrued what I meant in a different post or I did not explain myslef clearly. Most CRT displays will display either a 1080i image or a 540p image but not a 720p image. I hope this along with the links I offered in your original post to clarify the misunderstanding.

xvxvxvx

Username: Justintoxicated

Post Number: 6
Ok this is starting to make more sense. Since the 1080i is still able to display up to 540p signal which is still better than DVD quality. However the who PROBLEM with interlacing is that is supposedly creates blur and flicker. Well 1080i is technicaly a 540p signal when put comparison of ONLY the amount of data that can be displayed at once. However since there are still 2 times as many pixels It's kidna like 540px2 if you get my meaning. Since it would still only be able to draw 1/2 the lines of the pixels at a time so therefore it shoudl STILL look better on EDTV than a HD set de to the signal STILL being interlaced. even though it is taking into account the 480p and can display that amount of data at once.

So I see that a progressive scan DVD player will still improve on a 1080i. but it sounds like an EDTV should put out a better picture for Progressive scan DVD playback over all, since no interlacing is involved and the same rate of data is being displayed at any time as it would on a 1080i.

Interlacing is Interlacing. progressive is progressive. You can either have both or one or the other. Or are you implying that you will not notice the interlacing since the DVD 480p is not capable to keep up with 540p anyways, But woudlnet the flicker still be noticable even if motion was not affected.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us