DVD HDTV Upres + TV Input question

Username: Archv

Post Number: 1
I'm looking into buying a DVD player that converts DVDs to 1080i.

My problem is that I have a 2003 65" Mitsubishi (WS-65411). It doesn't have a DVI, HDMI, or VGA input. All it has is component and "DTV" inputs.

The DTV input looks like component with the Y,Pb,Pr... but it also has "H" and "V". What are those?

On the back of the TV, it shows that the component inputs will do 1080i, so I guess the real question is: Are there DVD players that upres to 1080i that will use the component inputs?

All the ones I've seen talk about HDMI and DVI, and they never say if the upressing will work over component inputs as well.

Advice?

ChuckieBuck
Unregistered guest
I think most progressive scan dvd players will output at 480p. The TV will then convert to its native resolution, in your case 1080i. I haven't heard of a DVD player that output at HD resolutions. I'm not really up to date though.

Dallas, TX USA

Post Number: 2
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1091101368614&skuId=6819543&productCa tegoryId=cat03013&type=product

This one for example. They are too busy raving about the HDMI to say whether the component outs upres to 1080i. :-(

Dallas, TX USA

Post Number: 3
The wording here is tricky:

"This DVD player gives you the power to maximize your DVDs with high-definition upconversion, your choice of HDMI and component video outputs, virtual surround sound for stereo sources and optical outputs for true surround sound effects."

"...your choice of HDMI and component video outputs..."

Does this mean it will do the conversion for both, or is it just pointing out which outputs it has in general?

tlx340
Unregistered guest
Player will only upconvert through dvi or hdmi. However, there is a serious problem with upconverting players. When your display receives the upconverted signal, it thinks the signal is actual hi def and uses the hi def color decoding matrix which results in colors displayed incorrectly. The only fix is to manually set your display to use the standard def color decoder. Problem is most displays do not have this manual setting.

Tim Denehan
Unregistered guest
"The DTV input looks like component with the Y,Pb,Pr... but it also has "H" and "V". What are those?"

RGB connections can have 3 jacks or 5 like yours. The extra two are separate inputs for the horizontal (H) and vertical (V) synchronization signals.

Anonymous

"upconverting" is partly a myth, a stopgap technology basically

only HD-DVD and/or Blue Ray players will end up playing (HD)dvd's in true hi def. First players due out in fall 2005

Tim Denehan
Unregistered guest
Anon,

Can you confirm rumor Blu Ray or HD-DVD will be 1080Progressive? If true, this will be most impressive.

Anonymous

Looks like more than just a rumour, and its quite logical

I did hear at least for HD-DVD which is due to arrive first, in late 2005, odds are high they will skip over 1080i and start directly at 1080p, which w/b a great windfall to the ultra high end HDTV market, which needs a new rabbit for people to chase

By bypassing 1080i, HD-DVD can stay with the one standard far longer, w/o some kind of interim upgrade for their players
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us