How to calibrate a DLP RPTV?

Anonymous

I like to know a cheap/quick way to calibrate a DLP RPTV, any help? thanks

Klaus
Unregistered guest
Use the THX utility on Star Wars episode 1 or 2 DVD to get a quick but good picture calibration. There are several tests to run to set contrast, brightness and color hue and intensity.

Username: Kimchang

Post Number: 1
I have a Samsung 5685W DLP TV. When the input is thru DVI or progressive component, the TV doesn't allow you to adjust the Hue. I tried to use the Star Wars DVD and the AVIA DVD to calibrate my TV and I can get the Contrast, Brightness, Sharpness, and Saturation (Color) right, but the Hue is off. Any advice on what to do there? Thanks.

Username: Timisongaines

Wiveliscombe, Somerset UK

Post Number: 2
I have tried to use the star wars utility to callibrate my TV but the skin tones still do not appear correct, they appear solarized (i believe thats the term). Could anyone help me or guide me to something that help correct these problems.
I have a toshiba 46" DLP tv.
Thanks

Username: Sharonf

Lake Havasu City, Arizona USA

Post Number: 2
Tim Gaines:

I have had my Toshiba 62HM94 for about a week and am still playing with the settings. HD channels are spectacular, but I'm having to play with the calibration on the SD channels. I've found that the SD channels look a lot better if I turn down the contrast and sharpness. Turn them down a little at a time until the picture looks good to you. You may also have to adjust the brightness and color. A couple of the SD channels looked a little washed out(is that what you mean by solarized?) but I found that changing the color temerature to warm helped that. To adjust the setting click on menu on your remote, then choose the video menu. Highlight PICTURE SETTINGS and press enter. The color temperature can be also be adjusted under Video settings. From the video menu scroll down and highlight ADVANCED PICTURE SETTINGS and press enter. I also purchased DVE to help me calibrate my set but am having a hard time figuring out how to use it.

Jim777
Unregistered guest
Sharon:

I have had my Toshiba 52HM94 for about 2 weeks. I also had difficulty using Digital Video Essentials for calibration. I found the Sound & Vision Home Theatre Tune Up DVD which I got at Best Buy easier to use. My settings using high lamp and medium temperature are now as follows:

contrast 65
brightness 55
color 45
tint r6
sharpness 50

I still found contrast hard to adjust as I could not detect any blooming. So I used the 65 setting which was suggested in a review of the 52HM84 by William Becker in the DLP TV review web site.

Curious as to what your settings are.

Bronze Member
Username: Ben1db

Post Number: 12
Good luck on the DVE video, I can't figure most of it out either, I thought they left some instructions out or something??

Unregistered guest
Most TV's have hidden service menus which allow fine tuning of things like color balance. In addition most service menus allow you to set different base calibrations for SDTV and HDTV. You might find that a global setting which looks perfect on HD signals looks terrible with SD and vice versa. Unless you know what you're doing these menus are best avoided.

To get the best out of your TV you realy need an ISF calibration. These cost about $450.00 for a CRT RPTV but these often require a lot of work on their convergence and geometry which the newer technologies shouldn't need. You might be able to get an ISF tech to adjust your color balance, greyscale and overall contrast settings for $150-$200. These guys are always complaining they don't have enough work so, go ahead, negotiate. You'll be glad you did. On most new TVs you'll see about 200% improvement.

The other advantage with LCDs/Plasmas/Direct View CRTs etc. is that, once they're done, they'll probably never need adjustment again whereas CRT RPTVs are prone to drift and require regular look-ups.

Post Number: 4
Jim777:

I took another look at the DVE but still am having a hard time using it. I've been reading about the THX optimizer found on some DVDs and I think I'll take a look at that. Do you use the same settings for SD and HD? I've found that I have to have different settings for SD and for HD channels so I hooked up a splitter to split the cable signal from the wall between the cable box and the TV. That lets me save settings for each input and the analog channels also look clearer this way. I'm still playing with the calibrations but this is how I have things set now:

HD & Digital channels
Contrast......70
Brightness....60
Color.........60
Tint..........+2
Sharpness.....40
Color Temp....Medium
Low Lamp

SD Channels (on the other input)
Contrast......65
Brightness....55
Color.........60
Tint..........-5
Sharpness.....30
Color Temp....Medium
High Lamp

I am still not completely satisfied so am still working on it. I have also ordered a Motorola Signal Booster which I am hoping will help clarify the analog channels.

Jim777
Unregistered guest
Sharon:

I tend to use the standard setting for HD and my preference settings for everything else. My current preference settings are:

contrast 65
brightness 55
color 45
tint r6
sharpness 35

I'm using a cable card not a cable box so I can't split the signal as you do and get the digital channels. I have noticed though that when I do split it the analog channels come in clearer on the direct input than when processed through the cable card.

I also originally had a cable box before the cable card and noticed an improvement on the analog channels with the card compared to the cable box.

Have you tried the signal booster yet? Does it make a difference?

I'm also considering having a professional ISF calibration done as there is a slight greenish tinge on the factory settings (sports, standard and movie). I have gotten two estimates, both for $400 which seems steep just to get the settings just right.

Post Number: 5
Jim,

I would like to use the cable card too but my cable company doesn't have them available yet.
I rented a DVD (Monsters Inc.) the other night because it had the THX Optimizer on it. I found the test easier to run than on the DVE disk and I was able to use the blue filter from the DVE disk to run the color tests. I made a couple of changes in my settings and it made a big differnce.

contrast 65
brightness 35
color 55
tint 0
sharpness 35

I was afraid that turning the brightness down so much would make things too dark but it really works out well. I do turn up the brightness for the HD channels and for a couple of the analog channels I change the tint to about a -2 or -3. Unfortunately as you've probably found, colors look different on some analog channels than on others.
I just got the signal blooster today and notice a big difference! The analog channels are much clearer and the digital channels look almost HD quality. I'm going to get another one.I tried it on the TV in my computer room because I have a couple of fuzzy channels and it cleared it right up! I couldn't believe the difference.
You're right $400 sounds like a lot for an ISF calibration. I'm not sure that anyone in town could do it anyway. I'm finding out that a lot of technicians don't know a lot about HDTV yet.
I'm hoping to get to the point where I can have a universal setting for my analog channels so I'll keep playing with it.
I'm now looking at surge protectors with line cleaners built in since I need a new surge protector anyway.
By the way, I also tried a HDMI to DVI cable last week but found that the component cables give a much better picture.

HCWHunter
Unregistered guest
Does anyone have any preferred settings for the Mitsubishi 52" or 62" DLP's? I would like to try to fine tune the settings.

HW

Jim777
Unregistered guest
Sharon:

Thanks for the tip on the Motorola signal booster. Picked one up at CC and the analog channels are significantly improved across the board. Some of them are almost as good as the digital channels. Digital may be a little better also, but they were very good to begin with.

I am still fine tuning the settings trying to find one that will be the best for the largest portion of digital and analog channels. My current settings medium temp and high lamp are:

Contrast 55
Brightness 55
Color 40
tint -15
Sharpness 35

For HD channels I use the Sports setting mostly. The good HD transmissions are spectacular, but I still find a slight greenish tinge which I think has to do with the grayscale settings which can only be accessed in the service mode.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Jim,

Your setting are pretty similar to mine now. I found that I had to adjust them again after installing the Motorola Signal Booster, since the picture is now much clearer and the colors stonger.
I have the most trouble with Fox (not HD). The picture is pretty clear but the colors seem to be really saturated so I have to turn the color way down when watching that channel. Fox seems to be that way on every TV in the house so I don't think the problem with that channel is related to the TV.
I agree that with the booster the Digital channels look extremely good and HD is spectacular! The Discovery channel has become my favorite channel!
I have heard that with a cable card the picture is even a little bit better, but when I called my cable company they said that they don't have them avaiable yet and they don't know when they will have them. I thought that the FCC mandated that they have them available to provide to their customers.
I don't notice the slight greenish tinge that you mention.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Jim,

I should edit that last message to say that for Fox I have to turn the tint way down, not the color. Otherwise the skin tones have a orange tinge to them.

Unregistered guest
Hello,

I have a Toshiba wide screen projection tv.
WHEN USING THE CONVERSION MENU, I WAS able to align the RED & GREEN LAMP, EXCEPT BLUE lamp.
THE BLUE LAMP IS OFF ALIGNMENT AND UNABLE TO ALIGN USING THE REMOTE CONTROL. PLEASE HELP ME.

MANNY
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us