CRT Widescreens/ 4:3 viewing size?

Dan Country
Unregistered guest
I'm waiting to see what the largest tube CRT unit will be before I buy - our watching habits are digital cable with a Tivo, and a lot of network 4:3 stuff. So anything we get would have to come close to the 32" 4:3 set we have now. I don't like stretching 4:3 to fill screens, and I still prefer dirct view. I like the Sony XBR910, but the 4:3 is really small.

Are there bigger CRT widescreen on the horizon?

Also, what are the 4:3 screen sizes for all of these 42" widescreens? I've heard the 34" sony only gets you 27" in 4:3.

Thanks! I'm going nuts over the next TV. I can wait if I have to...

Dan

Username: Mike

Post Number: 4
All I can tell ya, is head out to your local specialty stores with a tape measure, and actually LOOK at, and measure. You'll know what you like. Lately, I've seen some incredible pictures on the LCD projection sets. If Sony XBR is within your budget, then the LCD projection set prices, as well as their relative overall physical size, compared to a tube set, might be the answer to your desire for more viewing area.

Dan Country
Unregistered guest
Yeah the 50" sony lcd that everyone has problems with is on my "wait and see list" too. If they can get the bulb thing solved and if I like the picture with fast moving stuff, I may go that way.

I will do the tape measure thing - thanks!

Anonymous

Or you can simply do the math (geometry). SD TV has a screen ratio of 4x3 (WxH) and HD widescreen is 16x9. According to my free calculator, the diag. ratio to display a same size SD picture on a WS TV is about 1.224. That is, if you want a WS TV to display the same size SD picture as your current 32", you would need a 39.2" (or 40") TV.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us