I'm new to HomeTheater Stuff... Lots of DVI-related questions

Username: Burghman

Post Number: 1
First, this is an awesome forum. I've read through alot of your posts and have gained a TON of info.

I do have some questions (probably dumb) that I haven't been able to find answers to yet.

My Scenario: Have a Sony 51" CRT rear projection with 1 DVI input. I have Comcast HD Cable Box with component and DVI output. Right now I just have a Sony progressive scan DVD player. I'm using component output from both the cable box and DVD player.

My Questions:
1. Is it 'worth' it to ditch my progressive scan and pay 200 for an 'upconverting' DVD player w/ DVI/HDMI out?

2. If I had to choose between DVI on the DVD player or Cable box, is it better to go with the DVD player, because cable is inherently a non-perfect signal, and a DVI would show its flaws ?

3. What is out there in the near term (6-12 months) future regarding DVD formats/DVD player technology? I've heard about 'HD-DVDs'. What are they, how are they different (in layman's terms), and are they expected anytime soon? Would one of these 'upconverting' DVD players available now support these 'HD-DVDs'? (For that matter, would a progressive-scan player support them?).

4. Another option that a techie friend suggested was building a cheap 'shuttle' PC with a DVI-equipped video card, 5.1 sound card, DVD rom, etc... and use that as a 'upconverting' player, plus I could network the shuttle PC to my normal PC and use my TV as a 'monitor' (streaming MP3s, playing MPEGs, etc right on the TV). Anyone know if that is a feasible idea? Any pros or cons for that as opposed to buying the upconverting DVD player standalone?

Wow.. I have so much to learn. Info/feedback on ANY or all of these questions is SOOOOO much appreciated.

Thanks!

Discovering
Unregistered guest
Hi Justin,

I'll be painfully honest, but brief.

Question 1) No! Until you ditch the CRT tv you have for a DLP you won't be satisfied with your purchase. You need 1080I or 720P resolution on your tv to really enjoy the DVD player you have.

2) It depends. Is your cable signal digital or analog? If you think " cable is inherently a non-perfect signal" then it must be the old analog signal. If it is digital, there won't be any flaws, so, hook up the DVI cable. If it's analog, garbage in...garbage out! Any time you can stay digital to the tv you're bypassing a conversion process and avoiding any signal degradation through cabling.

It takes a great tv to see the difference from a DVD player. For instance, your set is now displaying a converted digital to analog signal from your DVD. Your set will also convert a digital signal to analog for display on your CRT. Which does the better job of converting? Who knows? If your component cables are good quality you won't see a difference on your set.

3) HD-DVD's? Interesting! Haven't seen any here in Dallas yet. It's very new. Looks like the old VHS vs. Beta fight is being rekindled. Here are two links.

http://slate.msn.com/id/2110495/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/12/23/hd_dvd_promotion_group/

4) Doesn't sound cheap!

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us