Hd "ready" vs. hdtv

Username: Donintexas

Post Number: 2
Does a digital signal look any different if played over a tv that is hd "ready" or actual hdtv?...i read that digital signals look better on NON-hd sets...comments?...not ready to pay for an hd signal and all of my channels currently come in digitally over Dish Network...I'm looking at Sony kv-34hs420...$1225 open box at best buy...comments?...thanks :-)

Anonymous

Since most videophiles have had HDTV's for several years with usually seperate OTA HDTV TUNERS etc (e.g. Samsung) and there were pretty much no integrated tuners -there w/b an innate bias - beyond that I have never heard this, unless they are dumbing down the integrated tuners which is entirely possible

The old rule used to be stay away from integrated hi def tuners because the tuners keep getting better and having a seperate tuner gives you better flexibility

However, with excellent Comcast cable and DirectTV, DISH etc (compressed) signals today look just as good as over the air
settop hi def boxes or C-band (both uncompressed/clean signals) - the quality just keeps getting better no matter what - so its basically all moot at this point

THe Sony KV-34hs420 is a good 1080i true HD set, however be aware that for the amount of detail for example being put out by an NFL Football hi def broadcast, this would require viewing from about 3 to 5 feet. Now you can watch it from 10 feet, but you lose alot of the detail. Its better for someone with absolute space restrictions in a room

As for BestBuy at a $1225 open box price its no cheaper than brand new price via internet sellers, even adjusted for shipping

No doubt an "open box" BEST BUY will pitch the actual legitimate rare case where it actually makes some sense since the set would usually (not always) have 5 yrs of viewing put on it in 3 months where they ran it all day long. However, the extended warranty adds huge dollars to the price
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us